Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

ProfessorProf posted:

Aha! I was confused because there's also a boss in FF3 named Garuda, and the fight is completely different.

Either way, two knights with ancient swords and a conjurer with Ramuh and Shiva were enough to last me to the end of the dungeon. Now to get me some dark swords.

Oh jeez, I forgot that III has a Garuda too :doh: Edited that accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bellmaker posted:

Oh jeez, I forgot that III has a Garuda too :doh: Edited that accordingly.

If it makes you feel any better, the name of the boss from FFV you were thinking of is Garula, not Garuda. :shobon:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

W.T. Fits posted:

If it makes you feel any better, the name of the boss from FFV you were thinking of is Garula, not Garuda. :shobon:
To be even fairer, there's a boss in FF5 called Garuda, too!

v Oh, poo poo, that's right. His name is Wing Raptor. Well he basically looks like you'd expect Garuda to.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 3, 2013

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

The White Dragon posted:

To be even fairer, there's a boss in FF5 called Garuda, too!

Nope.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I've been cruising through Crisis Core as my portable adjunct to the console games.

It's... pretty good actually!

The gameplay is really basic, and of purely nomura/kingdom hearts descent, but the characters are surprisingly likeable.

It's weird meeting Sephiroth as a non-brooding-rear end in a top hat, and Cloud with a personality. Zack is likeable as well, he's a charming putz.

Too bad the slots aren't skippable. It's a neat feature that was cool for the first hour or two and became progressively less cool as I got farther into the game.

Also holy poo poo@the number of useless combat missions. I'll probably just check a faq to see which ones have useful rewards and plow on to the end, the combat isn't so engaging that I'd ever want to tackle them all.

I know this is an old game, but I need to get used to the fact that 'modern' FF is probably more likely to follow KH lineage than classic FF lineage at this point :| Very curious to see what FF15 ends up being.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

victrix posted:

I've been cruising through Crisis Core as my portable adjunct to the console games.

It's... pretty good actually!

The gameplay is really basic, and of purely nomura/kingdom hearts descent, but the characters are surprisingly likeable.

It's weird meeting Sephiroth as a non-brooding-rear end in a top hat, and Cloud with a personality. Zack is likeable as well, he's a charming putz.

Too bad the slots aren't skippable. It's a neat feature that was cool for the first hour or two and became progressively less cool as I got farther into the game.

Also holy poo poo@the number of useless combat missions. I'll probably just check a faq to see which ones have useful rewards and plow on to the end, the combat isn't so engaging that I'd ever want to tackle them all.

I know this is an old game, but I need to get used to the fact that 'modern' FF is probably more likely to follow KH lineage than classic FF lineage at this point :| Very curious to see what FF15 ends up being.

There is payoff for the slots which actually make it worthwhile, it just takes a long time to get there.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe it was only in the PSP/iOS version, but stuff like Genji gear is sometimes used by very high level enemies (80 or 90+) similar to how you can only get a particular weapon when facing ninjas above a certain level and having them throw it at you.

Either way, the Genji Gear is weaker than the Deep Dungeon armor.

I didn't bother jacking Genji Gear or doing the Deep Dungeon, and I was pretty easily able to beat the final boss(es) with Ramza under level 50. I just wanted to get through the game once I hit like 40 hours and plowed through. That final Balk fight is a pain in the rear end though. I totally had to game the AI and get him to stick around the top portion of the map and have Orlandu break his weapon, get killed by hydras, and then repeatedly bring him back to life to attack Balk a few more times.

I find that the original non hacked up version of FFT has plenty of challenging battles if you're not purposely duping items, doing a ton of grinding, etc.

edit: On to FF IX, which I never finished back in the day. The cartoony look is acceptable because the NPCs and environments have so much character.

pretend to care fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 4, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

victrix posted:

Fun fact: Sticking to the walls of an area will pretty much guarantee that you won't face any encounters. Also, don't do any of the side missions since the game's difficulty curve assumes you didn't bother with them. Also, hard mode will kick your balls.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII would have been a blend of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts' gameplay. Basically a Devil May Cry RPG. It would have been amazing to see something new about it at that PlayStation conference, but SE just showed an old tech demo, then told us to piss off until E3.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

pretend to care posted:

I find that the original non hacked up version of FFT has plenty of challenging battles if you're not purposely duping items, doing a ton of grinding, etc.

Eh, the only really challenging ones I can think of off the top of my head are of course the Velius fight, the execution grounds, and the one where you have to save Reis in the coal mines. Everything else is pretty straightforward and not too bad. Oh, and I guess an honorable mention for the fight where you first meet Algus, if you choose to protect him. The enemies will sometimes all just rush him right at the start before you can get near him.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Really? I find a lot of the early fights tend to come down to the wire simply due to the limited job/gear selection and the fact that the game loves taking away one of your party slots in favor of Delita/Algus.

Then again, I have a strong aversion to using either of them (So they usually stay level 2), and once you unlock Monk the difficulty is all downhill from there.

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 5, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

That loving Sned posted:

Final Fantasy Versus XIII would have been a blend of Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts' gameplay.

I don't understand how you could blend an action RPG with a turn-based RPG/active time battle combat without it being completely awful.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eh, the only really challenging ones I can think of off the top of my head are of course the Velius fight, the execution grounds, and the one where you have to save Reis in the coal mines. Everything else is pretty straightforward and not too bad. Oh, and I guess an honorable mention for the fight where you first meet Algus, if you choose to protect him. The enemies will sometimes all just rush him right at the start before you can get near him.

There are a lot of tricky fights for a first-time player that doesn't have the jobs and enemy formations memorized, and the AT system mastered. Dorter 1 is an early stumbling point. Fort Zeakdon can be tough. Barius Hill and those drat summoners. Any Weigraf battle if you have bad luck with Crush Punch procs. The various Gafgarion battles. Actually, almost any battle against a Swordskill user can be tricky. Limberry if you're going for the Genji Gear. Nelveska Temple if you're going for the spear and shield. The last Deep Dungeon floor if you want the Summon (and even more if you want it on several units). Almost any battle where you have to rescue someone can potentially go bad before you can even get in range. Several rare random battles are brutal.

Granted, the game generally has an inverse difficulty curve. Early on you're saddled with AI guests that don't pull their own weight, enemies are more on parity with you in terms of skills and available jobs, and you don't have a team full of overpowered uniques with badass Knight swords. Still, there are a fair amount of (relatively) difficult battles scattered throughout.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

fount of knowledge posted:

Really? I find a lot of the early fights tend to come down to the wire simply due to the limited job/gear selection and the fact that the game loves taking away one of your party slots in favor of Delita/Algus.

Then again, I have a strong aversion to using either of them (So they usually stay level 2), and once you unlock Monk the difficulty is all downhill from there.

The only other early game fight I remember sometimes being a pain (besides the one at the plains) is Dorter Trade City. Mostly because you're limited to four characters, there's that one archer at the top of the map sniping you constantly, and it takes Delita and Algus years to get up there to take him out.

For me it may just be that I love the game so much so I end up a bit overleveled for the story fights due to slight grinding. Not because I feel I need it, but just because I think it's fun.

And yeah Delita and Algus in my playthroughs never get up past level 3 or 4, mostly because I don't buy them new gear (they only get hand-me-downs from my other members) and don't revive them when they inevitably get taken out in a fight. After all, that's more experience/JP my characters could be getting.

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
My wife won a PS3 at a work party raffle, but knew I already had one so got them to give her a PS2 instead, which she knew I'd wanted. Then I found a copy of FF12 International Zodiac Job System for 2000 yen and snagged that. Was that a correct impulse? Obviously I won't be playing it for awhile, but I wonder if I'd be missing out on anything by not playing the "vanilla" version.

I started FF9 for the first time and it's really charming, kind of a nice change of pace/throwback. One thing that's a little frustrating is how long it takes to start a battle. Honestly load times are why I never picked up a disc-based game console until a couple of years ago. I don't mind load times when entering/exiting areas, but for a game based around a whole lot of tiny fights it gets a little tedious panning over the battleground every time.
That said, I do like that the abilities you can learn from equipment make grinding not seem like grinding.

As for Crisis Core, I played about half of it a couple of years ago but I think I stopped after getting curious, looking up a FAQ for something, and learning that I permanently missed some cool stuff, and just gave up. I gave it to my brother when I visited him in the States recently and kinda regret it!

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Elec posted:

My wife won a PS3 at a work party raffle, but knew I already had one so got them to give her a PS2 instead, which she knew I'd wanted. Then I found a copy of FF12 International Zodiac Job System for 2000 yen and snagged that. Was that a correct impulse? Obviously I won't be playing it for awhile, but I wonder if I'd be missing out on anything by not playing the "vanilla" version.

I assume you can read Japanese? If not and you're willing to buy an English copy of the vanilla game as well, you can get a patch to play the IZJS version in English.

As for which version- the only reason I can think of to play the vanilla version is that everyone has the same license board, meaning every character can cast every spell and wear every piece of equipment. If you prefer that sort of leveling system, you may want to play the vanilla version.

The IZJS version has you select a class for each character when you get them. So their abilities are more limited, but their unique license boards make a character better at their chosen job than they could ever be in vanilla (i.e. physical classes will hit harder than a character could in vanilla, and mages will nuke harder than a vanilla character could). Other than that difference, the IZJS version is just better balanced and tweaked in a million little ways to make it the superior game.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If possible, play it emulated. FF12 has way higher res textures than the PS2 can display, and it looks shockingly good at high res.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Your wife won a $300 prize but decided to ask for a $50 one instead? :crossarms:

a crisp refreshing Moxie fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 5, 2013

Elec
Feb 25, 2007
Sounds like I made the right decision on 12. And yes, I'm in Japan and can read Japanese.

fount of knowledge posted:

Your wife won a $300 prize but decided to ask for a $50 one instead? :crossarms:
It went to a good home and I can get more use out of the PS2, I bought my PS3 used for way less than 300 USD, she works for a Sony-related company anyway and it's really no biggie. :)

victrix posted:

If possible, play it emulated. FF12 has way higher res textures than the PS2 can display, and it looks shockingly good at high res.

That's interesting, huh. Any word as to why this is the case?

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Elec posted:

I started FF9 for the first time and it's really charming, kind of a nice change of pace/throwback. One thing that's a little frustrating is how long it takes to start a battle. Honestly load times are why I never picked up a disc-based game console until a couple of years ago. I don't mind load times when entering/exiting areas, but for a game based around a whole lot of tiny fights it gets a little tedious panning over the battleground every time.
That said, I do like that the abilities you can learn from equipment make grinding not seem like grinding.

There's a lot that bugs me about FF9's battles. Enemies queue up attacks a lot quicker than the player. If you're switching through your heroes trying to get to your healer then chances are a few enemies will get attacks in. There's also these short delays before each attacks that complicate things further. Luckily the battles are so easy so even if you do have three enemies jump on you, you'll be alright.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ That has everything to do with how enemies queue their ATB input. Their gauges fill up while you're animating (as does yours when they're animating) unless you're in a menu in Wait mode. That usually means that unless you've got that enabled (it's Active by default), enemies aren't only charging while you're looking for the spell you wanna cast, and even while you're targeting with it. Every enemy's ATB fills up while someone's animating a spell? They're all already in line to act and you gotta wait. It's somewhat dishonest because of that, but hey, at least it's a billion times more consistent than FF7's ATB.

Elec posted:

That's interesting, huh. Any word as to why this is the case?
The PS just can't handle rendering the textures at the level a computer can without framerates suffering, mostly. It makes you wonder why they put in such hi-res textures to begin with considering their destination hardware, but hey, effort's a thing.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Mar 5, 2013

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
^^^^ Thinking ahead to the inevitable release of FF-XII HD on the Playstation Vita 2.

Some of the textures look funny on high resolution models because they were exaggerated to bleed through on the crappy PS2 models.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I don't understand how you could blend an action RPG with a turn-based RPG/active time battle combat without it being completely awful.

The last trailer for Versus showed how it would be. It's basically just Kingdom Hearts gameplay, not really FF. It's even more real-time than KH is.

The similarity they have is that HP shows up when damage is taken, like in FF. This wasn't exactly visible numerically in KH.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Also sometimes you get weird graphical errors, like an NPC showing up with a moogle skin and a bangaa skeleton.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

^ That has everything to do with how enemies queue their ATB input. Their gauges fill up while you're animating (as does yours when they're animating) unless you're in a menu in Wait mode. That usually means that unless you've got that enabled (it's Active by default), enemies aren't only charging while you're looking for the spell you wanna cast, and even while you're targeting with it. Every enemy's ATB fills up while someone's animating a spell? They're all already in line to act and you gotta wait. It's somewhat dishonest because of that, but hey, at least it's a billion times more consistent than FF7's ATB.

Most of what happened in IX only frustrated me. I never found VII's ATB to be inconsistent or difficult to understand, both at age 12 and 21+.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The only thing you need to know for IX's ATB (unless you're fighting ozma or speedrunning or something) is 'When bar fills up you go'. That is not that hard, I don't think.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sex_Ferguson posted:

That's what happened with XIII and its sequel, so I totally agree.

The gameplay of Versus is very similar to Kingdom Hearts, it just uses more elements from Final Fantasy. You can take control over anyone in the party, and have access to their unique weapons and abilities, such as one character who can use his gun to aim at weak spots or environmental hazards. The story is about a prince and his group of friends trying to reclaim his kingdom, except set in a modern world with cars and skyscrapers, rather than whatever the hell Kingdom Hearts was about, which wasted all of its Final Fantasy and Disney characters to focus on ORIGNIAL CHARCATER DONOT STAEL.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Francois Kofko posted:

The only thing you need to know for IX's ATB (unless you're fighting ozma or speedrunning or something) is 'When bar fills up you go'. That is not that hard, I don't think.

Thanks boss, I had no idea. :rolleyes:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Is there a definitive version of FF7 out there?

PC? PSX emulated? PSP? Vita?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

victrix posted:

Whichever's most convenient, I'd say. This isn't FFIV, there aren't enough significant differences between versions for there to be a definitive one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

victrix posted:

The PSP and Vita versions are literally a rip of the PS1 disc. PS1 classics are playable on PS3, PSP, and Vita and it's the same game emulated across all of them.

I like playing it on the Vita just because the screen is nice and it's portable but there are patches for the PC version that are supposed to replace some of the models and such to make them look less 90s

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I figured the reason for FF12 having such nice textures is that the PS3 release was imminent and they know the resolution would be upscaled. I remember thinking the same thing about FF9 on a then-new PS2.

pretend to care
Dec 11, 2005

Good men must not obey the laws too well

Twelve by Pies posted:

The only other early game fight I remember sometimes being a pain (besides the one at the plains) is Dorter Trade City. Mostly because you're limited to four characters, there's that one archer at the top of the map sniping you constantly, and it takes Delita and Algus years to get up there to take him out.

For me it may just be that I love the game so much so I end up a bit overleveled for the story fights due to slight grinding. Not because I feel I need it, but just because I think it's fun.

And yeah Delita and Algus in my playthroughs never get up past level 3 or 4, mostly because I don't buy them new gear (they only get hand-me-downs from my other members) and don't revive them when they inevitably get taken out in a fight. After all, that's more experience/JP my characters could be getting.

Yeah, I was purposely not doing really any grinding. Maybe earlier in the game for gil, and battles that I happened to encounter wandering around buying gear and doing the Cloud sidequest. I've played through before and put 90 hours in instead of 40 and absolutely laid waste to many battles. Wasn't interested in doing that this time, just replaying for fun.

The thing that bugs me about IX is that battles are just so loving slow. Even downloaded to disk and emulated on PS3 it takes 5-6 seconds just to load a battle. I do not miss that poo poo at all.

Still a fun game with interesting characters and cool visuals.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

effectual posted:

I'd rather get a Xenogears remake, there's an interesting story and some mechanics there but it's buried by a lot of grindy slog and hours of fighting after a save point, then a difficult boss before you can save again. I never even made it to the half-assed rushed disc 2.

This will never ever ever happen.

It would be cool, but the closest you'll ever get are the do-over approaches to the concept in Xenoblade (a great game, but story and imagery doesn't quite hit the high notes its predecessors did) and the Xenosagas (awesome imagery and symbolism through the roof, but incredibly inconsistent gameplay, characters are anime in the worst ways).

victrix posted:

Original Playstation, non-analog controller, old-rear end CRT TV. :colbert:

Mazed fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Mar 5, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

(disregard. The "post" button is not the "edit" button.)

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

victrix posted:

They all look the same and have the same content, the only difference is resolution or portability.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mazed posted:

Original Playstation, non-analog controller, old-rear end CRT TV. :colbert:

Exactly. I put a hell of a lot of time into modding the PC version to not look and sound terrible, but that's just not the way it's meant to be played. Having the orchestral soundtrack rocked, though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Most of what happened in IX only frustrated me. I never found VII's ATB to be inconsistent or difficult to understand, both at age 12 and 21+.
The thing about 7's ATB is that it's super easy to understand because it'll always tell you when it's in Wait or Active mode--meaning that it applies both to your party and the enemy--but the problem is that sometimes you'll use spells and abilities (even Limits!) that are supposed to trigger Wait, but don't just because of general system instability.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Finished Crisis Core

Pretty good all around. The gameplay overstayed its welcome a bit unfortunately. I guess at the time it was made they were still mucking with the KH formula, so it wasn't quite as evolved as it is in the newer KH games. As a result the game felt a bit overlong on account of repetition (ignoring missions entirely, which are well suited to the portable format).

Sort of unfortunate really, because it has an insane amount of materia to use, but so much of it is just pointless, as the combat is simplistic throughout.

Appropriately, after spending about ten minutes puzzling over how to get combines working somewhere in the middle of the game, materia also broke the game completely, which is entirely correct for FF7 :v:

The story was... not bad. They could have dumped Genesis entirely and focused entirely on Angeal/Hollander/Sephiroth instead, but whatever.

The handling of Cloud was also pretty ham fisted. He becomes a vegetable in Crisis Core and FF7? Poor guy.. Also using Aerith for the emotional side story was cheap storytelling. They could have used the perfectly likeable Cissnei as his love interest without bludgeoning you with the THIS IS AN FF7 PREQUEL hammer.

Zack was really likeable, and I was surprised to see Sephiroth with some form of personality. Seeing Cloud with some emotion other than "... whatever" was nice too. Zacks VA did about as good a job as Noels did in FF13-2 of being a pretty cool guy in the midst of a bunch of insane bullshit.

Something else that surprised me - the music was incredibly nostalgic. I haven't played FF7 in what, 15+ years? And yet many of the songs in the game were still amazingly evocative. Good music embeds itself in your brain I guess, particularly when tied to a fun experience.

edit: Spoilery question, I suppose :v:

CC ends a few months before FF7 picks up. It's been a long time since I played FF7, but didn't Cloud group up with Sephiroth for awhile at the beginning of the game? CC made it pretty clear that he was already off his rocker before FF7 even started, but I thought it took awhile for him to go bonkers in the main game? Obviously working with the storytelling restrictions of a prequel is tricky, but this seems like a pretty fundamental gaffe.

victrix fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Mar 5, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

victrix posted:

The handling of Cloud was also pretty ham fisted. He becomes a vegetable in Crisis Core and FF7? Poor guy.. Also using Aerith for the emotional side story was cheap storytelling. They could have used the perfectly likeable Cissnei as his love interest without bludgeoning you with the THIS IS AN FF7 PREQUEL hammer.

Both of those things are from Final Fantasy VII. Like the original. Everything with Vegetable Cloud is from the flashback Cloud has of Zack's death, and Aerith being Zack's girlfriend is an established character thing and the entire reason she takes an interest in Cloud in the first place because he reminds her of him.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

victrix posted:

Also using Aerith for the emotional side story was cheap storytelling. They could have used the perfectly likeable Cissnei as his love interest without bludgeoning you with the THIS IS AN FF7 PREQUEL hammer.

Except, you know, it's an established fact in FF7 that Aerith and Zack were dating. Cloud reminding her of Zack is the main reasons he was interested in him in the first place.