Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Klowns posted:

Up top there are three screen layout options, you can see from the screen shot he's on the middle one and you're on the left one. I'm in the same boat and can't seem to swipe to the other ones.

I suspect Zephyr might be screwing me over but I have it set to top third for swiping actions.
Aha! Thanks; I see it now. Had to uninstall SwipeSelect (which is cool, but I don't use much) to be able to change "mode."

Now it works, but sometimes when I "swipe" a word the "suggestion bar" thing doesn't come up, so if I press space, it deleted the word it typed from my swipe. If I swipe it again the suggestion bar will come up. I have "Advanced Prediction Bar" enabled, but it's sometimes blank after a swipe. If I press space it erases my word. Also automatic space is on but it doesn't put a space after a swipe.

Weird. Seems like it'd be pretty cool if I could figure out how to make it work. There's an english version in the app store, but of course it doesn't integrate (you have to use the app and copy/paste text out.) Maybe I'll try to it see if I can understand it better from the English version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Blimpkin posted:

At the bottom of the keyboard where there is the small book[?] Icon, tap it to enable the swype?

That book icon, with the 'A' on it.

SWLAM

or

MALWS?????

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

NeuroticErotica posted:

SWLAM

or

MALWS?????

Males?

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
MAKES. I am also a huge fan of the emoticons included. ●︿●

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Aight, I need yr help.

Caught in a loop here, phone has gone back to 'set-up' mode, i.e. whenever I switch it on, it tries to set up again. I've let it try using my 3g and my wifi but it doesn't work. At home, connected to the most up to date iTunes, I get the error message below. Don't know what to try next. Any ideas?

edit: in my computer, my phone shows up fine...

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

NZP posted:

Aight, I need yr help.

Caught in a loop here, phone has gone back to 'set-up' mode, i.e. whenever I switch it on, it tries to set up again. I've let it try using my 3g and my wifi but it doesn't work. At home, connected to the most up to date iTunes, I get the error message below. Don't know what to try next. Any ideas?

edit: in my computer, my phone shows up fine...

Got the latest iTunes? That solved my problem when I had that issue. Also see this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3221

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pseudonordic posted:

Got the latest iTunes? That solved my problem when I had that issue. Also see this: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3221

Yep, it's the latest version and aye, I've looked through that to no avail. Thanks though. To be precise, the message I get on the phone when attempting to activate is, "Could not activate iphone
your iphone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable
try connecting your iphone to itunes to activate it or try again in a few minutes."

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

NZP posted:

Yep, it's the latest version and aye, I've looked through that to no avail. Thanks though. To be precise, the message I get on the phone when attempting to activate is, "Could not activate iphone
your iphone could not be activated because the activation server is temporarily unavailable
try connecting your iphone to itunes to activate it or try again in a few minutes."

It could be a genuine fluke on Apple's side, but it's more likely something else. Do you have gs.apple.com in your HOSTS file?

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

spongeworthy posted:

It could be a genuine fluke on Apple's side, but it's more likely something else. Do you have gs.apple.com in your HOSTS file?

I am not sure. How do I check?

Not sure it's a fluke, I've been trying to get it activate for a while.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

NZP posted:

I am not sure. How do I check?

Not sure it's a fluke, I've been trying to get it activate for a while.

If you're using windows you'll need to google for the file location, or check a URL I pasted a few pages back.

Otherwise, look in /etc/hosts and remove any gs.apple.com entry

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

spongeworthy posted:

If you're using windows you'll need to google for the file location, or check a URL I pasted a few pages back.

Otherwise, look in /etc/hosts and remove any gs.apple.com entry

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Remember that to edit it, you'll need to run as administrator - the simplest way to do this is to hit start, type "notepad", and then hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of just enter.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Blimpkin posted:

Just did my update to 6.1.2, and I used OpenBackup, as the only tweaks I installed were 6.x.x compatible, and it went flawlessly. All my tweaks and settings were restored without issue, and now I'm future-proofed against 6.1.3.

1-Download OpenBackup off Cydia, back up in the app.
2-Backup to iTunes
3-Restore>Update>Restore from backup
4-Jailbreak
5-Download OpenBackup again, and restore

Very painless, especially if you download the 6.1.2 update in iTunes ahead of time.

Ok i'm going from the 6.1 to 6.1.2.
So I'm backing up now and I've got the 6.1.2 IPSW. So when it's done backing up I hold shift and click restore Iphone, and then select the IPSW? and then click restore to bring all my old apps back and then rejailbreak using evasion?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

OptimusMatrix posted:

Ok i'm going from the 6.1 to 6.1.2.
So I'm backing up now and I've got the 6.1.2 IPSW. So when it's done backing up I hold shift and click restore Iphone, and then select the IPSW? and then click restore to bring all my old apps back and then rejailbreak using evasion?

6.1.2 is the current firmware (6.1.3 is beta) So you don't have to do the shift/restore one. So just backup iphone > restore iphone > restore from backup > jailbreak

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

Christoff posted:

6.1.2 is the current firmware (6.1.3 is beta) So you don't have to do the shift/restore one. So just backup iphone > restore iphone > restore from backup > jailbreak

even though I'm already jailbroken on 6.1? I don't need to do shift restore?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

OptimusMatrix posted:

even though I'm already jailbroken on 6.1? I don't need to do shift restore?

Since 6.1.2 is the most recent ipsw Apple's distributing and signing right now, you'll get it by doing a standard restore. Shift-clicking is only necessary if you want to use an ipsw file other than the default. So, it'll be necessary if you need to restore to 6.1.2 once 6.1.3 comes out.

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Space Gopher posted:

c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Remember that to edit it, you'll need to run as administrator - the simplest way to do this is to hit start, type "notepad", and then hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of just enter.

In my ETC folder I have hosts, lmhosts.sam, networks, protocol and services. Should I delete the Imhosts.sam file? I've opened the hosts file and deleted everything in there, in wordpad.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

NZP posted:

In my ETC folder I have hosts, lmhosts.sam, networks, protocol and services. Should I delete the Imhosts.sam file? I've opened the hosts file and deleted everything in there, in wordpad.

You shouldn't have deleted everything in there, you were only looking for a "gs.apple.com" entry. Don't delete anything else.

e: nevermind vv

Anyhow, try with iTunes again.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 3, 2013

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

NZP posted:

The only important thing here is the hosts file, and the only important things in it for this are any lines that reference Apple (gs.apple.com for restore, potentially other stuff for activation). Just deleting everything might have been a bad idea - it's a systemwide file, and if anything else has entries in there, well, it doesn't any more. You'd probably know if it was important, but it's something to keep in mind if other software starts acting funny.

e:

spongeworthy posted:

You shouldn't have deleted everything in there, you were only looking for a "gs.apple.com" entry. Don't delete anything else.

Add these back to your hosts file, unless windows automatically does it? I have no idea.

127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost

Windows handles localhost resolution within the DNS client; it's not necessary to have it in the hosts file. There's no "broadcasthost" reference in the stock hosts file, either.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thank goodness for openbackup. Definitely use this if you need to backup cydia apps.

BatteryDoctorPro is pretty slick, I dig it. Definitely replacing sbsettings.

I'm going to try touchpal again. Hopefully it doesn't kill my data

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Mar 3, 2013

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Thanks guys. Got it working through recovery mode.

Now, I'm on 6.1.2. That can be jailbroke yeah?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

NZP posted:

Thanks guys. Got it working through recovery mode.

Now, I'm on 6.1.2. That can be jailbroke yeah?

Yep.

Also (This goes for everyone else) make sure you guys get iSHSHit and have your blobs emailed to you.

Ok touchpal didn't kill my connection this time. Do I just enable all the touchpal keyboards? Er, wait. Just the touchpal (englisH ) one right?

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Mar 3, 2013

NZP
Jan 4, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Christoff posted:

Yep.

Also (This goes for everyone else) make sure you guys get iSHSHit and have your blobs emailed to you.

Ok touchpal didn't kill my connection this time. Do I just enable all the touchpal keyboards? Er, wait. Just the touchpal (englisH ) one right?

How do we do the blobs thing? Sounds painful.

Edit: any decent tweaks to force Tweetbot to go into landscape mode? I've downloaded TweetbotRotator but that doesn't seem to work.

NZP fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 3, 2013

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

NZP posted:

It's really easy, as long as you catch them in time (if you don't, once Apple stops signing a version then it's gone forever).

I'd just use TinyUmbrella, though. Download it, plug in your iPhone/Pad, click the save shsh button, and it'll get everything Apple is currently signing. If you ever need to restore to an old version, the proxy to fool iTunes is built right into the software.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

NZP posted:

Edit: any decent tweaks to force Tweetbot to go into landscape mode? I've downloaded TweetbotRotator but that doesn't seem to work.

Getting your blob is what got you a gs.apple.com entry in your hosts file in the first place. Be sure to keep that in mind next time you want to update or restore. You'll need to remove that entry again.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

spongeworthy posted:

Getting your blob is what got you a gs.apple.com entry in your hosts file in the first place. Be sure to keep that in mind next time you want to update or restore. You'll need to remove that entry again.

If you're using TinyUmbrella, it only does it if you check the "set hosts to cydia on exit" box. And, in recent versions, that box is unselectable anyway.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Not sure why someone said NCSettings was discontinued, an update was released just this weekend.

edit: It now has a toggle for private browsing and 'do not disturb' among a few others

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

Not sure why someone said NCSettings was discontinued, an update was released just this weekend.

From the changelog for 1.7-1 (released Feb 28th):

- Fixed crashes, sorry!

- 3G toggle behaviour tweaked (LTE users can configure from Settings > NCSettings > Data)

(In adding an LTE toggle- due to technical limitations- switching to 2G is now dependant on wether your carrier profile permits it. If you don't see a 3G switch in Settings > General > Cellular Data, there's no reason why NCSettings should show one.)

~DEVELOPMENT DISCONTINUED ~

(I no longer have the time to maintain this tweak. I will ensure future firmware compatibility but that's it.)

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

My bad, I had a hard time finding the changelog

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

Ozu posted:

It's the same guy. I think he just changed his handle. I could never get it to work properly and I'm impatient so I just bought CleverPin instead.

https://twitter.com/FllorenT0D

How does cleverpin work? Every time I installed Autoprotect my battery seemed to start taking a huuuuge dive for some reason.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Has anyone with BatteryDoctorOro noticed a bit of UI lag? Barely noticeable crap but things like raising/lowering the volume (at least the popup) has a noticeable reaction delay.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
I've been using BatteryDoctorPro for about 24 hours and haven't seen anything like that; I can't tell any difference in UI speed now.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Bouchacha posted:

edit: It now has a toggle for private browsing and 'do not disturb' among a few others

The developer broke some stuff, couldn't figure out what he broke, didn't want to put some fixes/features in to make stuff work again, and then "rage quit" after people kept bothering him over Twitter or whatever about it. After calming down, he decided using the word "discontinued" was a bit excessive.

The current version is still broken for a lot of people, and the developer has a "go gently caress yourself" attitude towards some users, now.

For example, the 3G/4G toggle doesn't work for a lot of people. This is a pretty big deal for AT&T devices, as AT&T had Apple remove that toggle in iOS (since AT&T doesn't want people using 2G/EDGE). Programs like NCSettings were REALLY nice, as they provided that functionality again.
Well, the developer changed some stuff, broke that, and has a different method put in. To those who relied on NCSettings for a 3G/4G toggle? The developer says that since the carrier decided you shouldn't be able to toggle that, he wouldn't bother making it work, either.
Having a toggle in Settings for NCSettings to use the old or new method to disable 3G/4G would be a lot better than how it works now.

SBSettings still works, thankfully. But removing the 3G/4G toggle from NCSettings on AT&T devices just made that program a hell of a lot less useful.

The developer is certainly talented, but some of their recent "enhancements" to NCSettings can only be described as "painful". He made a change that violently crashed SpringBoard - unless you knew to reset all settings, first (the current version of NCSettings automatically resets settings on install). The past two releases switched to the new cellular toggle, with no way to get the old method back (even if the old one was the only one that worked for your device) - and he has no intention of restoring the removed functionality.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Why is a 3G/4G toggle so important again

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
^^^^

Xenomorph posted:

For example, the 3G/4G toggle doesn't work for a lot of people. This is a pretty big deal for AT&T devices, as AT&T had Apple remove that toggle in iOS (since AT&T doesn't want people using 2G/EDGE).

I'm using NCSettings, because I didn't really like having EVERYTHING in one tweak(SBSettings), and while I like NCSettings, is there a standalone tweak for adding info into the status bar? SSID, RAM, Date, etc.?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I went with NCSettings over SBSettings just because the default theme is so so much better. Thankfully I only use it for airplane mode toggle.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

The Dave posted:

I went with NCSettings over SBSettings just because the default theme is so so much better. Thankfully I only use it for airplane mode toggle.

With Auxo + NCSettings, I'll never need anything else.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

Christoff posted:

Why is a 3G/4G toggle so important again

It's not a huge deal on newer devices, but if you're in a location where your 3G service is poor or leads to a massive battery drain, forcing your device to 2G can save a *LOT* of battery.

Apple even gives a much greater estimate of battery life when using 2G vs 3G. The iPhone gets something like ~7 hours of talk time on 3G, and ~14 hours of talk time on 2G. You can literally double your battery life by turning off 3G, especially on older devices.

On older devices, something like NCSettings/SBSettings simply gave a quick way to toggle the setting.
On newer devices like the AT&T iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, NCSettings/SBSettings became the ONLY way to toggle the setting.

And now it's been removed from NCSettings.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Regular use of phone with this new battery doctor, switching between inside and outside when needed, I finished my day with more than 50% charge when normally I'd be closer to 30. Sick.

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Regular use of phone with this new battery doctor, switching between inside and outside when needed, I finished my day with more than 50% charge when normally I'd be closer to 30. Sick.

Yeah this app is pretty kick rear end, turning off LTE when needed has made a big difference. However I did get thrown into safe mode once when switching from outdoor to indoor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Since NCSettings is no longer going to receive updates, I'm in need of a flashlight button. Any suggestions on this and or a button for orientation lock?

• Locked thread