Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Thermopyle posted:

To be fair, Google is kinda new at the whole internet thing.

Then they need to throw an Under Construction gif up there or something. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Rooted and flashed a friends Verizon SGSIII last night.I see why modders hate VZW so much . It was a bitch to root that thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I dunno, my RAZR MAXX was super painless to root. Just plugged it in, ran a batch file, checked it again about 10 min later, done.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

b0nes posted:

Rooted and flashed a friends Verizon SGSIII last night.I see why modders hate VZW so much . It was a bitch to root that thing.

Tell me about it. My coworker asked me to root his the third day he owned it. I promptly soft bricked it. Slightly terrifying. Also taught me that Samsung phones
that aren't Nexus devices sure don't have fastboot.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fuzz posted:

I dunno, my RAZR MAXX was super painless to root. Just plugged it in, ran a batch file, checked it again about 10 min later, done.
Now swap the kernel on it and report back.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

ninmeister posted:

Tell me about it. My coworker asked me to root his the third day he owned it. I promptly soft bricked it. Slightly terrifying. Also taught me that Samsung phones
that aren't Nexus devices sure don't have fastboot.

Welp. That settles my decision.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

me your dad posted:

It can be done, it just isn't easy. I tried about 4 different methods of rooting before I found one that worked.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

b0nes posted:

It was hard? Maybe if it took a JB OTA they hosed with the rooting process but when the SGS3 was still on ICS I went from stock to custom ROM flashed on an unlocked bootloader in under 30 minutes. It sucks no having Fastboot but the phone has been so good I've been able to do everything I ever needed in Recovery.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

me your dad posted:

If it's any consolation, rooting my VZW Note 2 was fairly painless and unless you are illiterate you can't gently caress it up.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice
My reply made it sound worse than it really is. Just gotta be careful and learn to use Odin properly.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

b0nes posted:

I have a personal policy that I will never root or jailbreak someone else's tech for them. If they want it done, they'll have to learn. Plus, that way, if they gently caress it up, I don't have to worry about the consequences.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Aatrek posted:

I have a personal policy that I will never root or jailbreak someone else's tech for them. If they want it done, they'll have to learn. Plus, that way, if they gently caress it up, I don't have to worry about the consequences.

This is a policy I wish I had before I did it, because now I'm always doing updates or whatever the hell else he wants. He refuses to learn to do it. And I'm a huge pussy and won't say no.

Goontastic
Feb 2, 2011

ninmeister posted:

This is a policy I wish I had before I did it, because now I'm always doing updates or whatever the hell else he wants. He refuses to learn to do it. And I'm a huge pussy and won't say no.

You could always go the shady route and say something along the lines of you seen people mention it's bricked or messed a device up; if he's still determined, then reboot at the wrong point sometime and say that you warned him.

OMGMYSPLEEN
Jul 12, 2009

Rawwwwhiiiiide
College Slice

Goontastic posted:

You could always go the shady route and say something along the lines of you seen people mention it's bricked or messed a device up; if he's still determined, then reboot at the wrong point sometime and say that you warned him.

Thankfully, he has been happy with the latest rooted stock ROM.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Aatrek posted:

I had that policy but I caved. This guy kept on bugging me and bugging me. Every time we would meet he would complain about how TouchWiz sucked and how his friend who he sold his other phone someone rooted it right away and flashed stock 4.2 on it. Never again. Too loving nerve wracking. My new policy is that if you can;t figure it out on your own then you shouldn't get it done.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Goontastic posted:

I dunno could you maybe make this scheme a little more passive aggressive?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

ProjektorBoy posted:

It was hard? Maybe if it took a JB OTA they hosed with the rooting process but when the SGS3 was still on ICS I went from stock to custom ROM flashed on an unlocked bootloader in under 30 minutes. It sucks no having Fastboot but the phone has been so good I've been able to do everything I ever needed in Recovery.

Well maybe i'm just an idiot :p: First I tried rooting it with the Galaxy S III toolkit featured on XDA to no avail. WHen it got to the part when it flashes files with Odin it kept on failing. I googled around till I found a method that worked. Still not sure exactly why there are several root methods for that phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The CM 10.1 M2s are up for anyone interested.

Too bad the new ClockworkMod Superuser won't be added until the next nightly though.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
My girlfriend and I bought a Nexus 10 this weekend and overall we love it. But we both think its ridiculous that if one of us downloads an app and the other wants it on their account, we have to download it again. I didn't really mid until she tried to use Google Talk and couldn't because I'm the "owner" of the device since we set up my account first. If we'd root the N10 is there a way to A) share apps between accounts and B) both be able to use Google Talk?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

LastInLine posted:

The CM 10.1 M2s are up for anyone interested.

Too bad the new ClockworkMod Superuser won't be added until the next nightly though.

Has the battery life/speed of CM gotten any better since 7? Last I had used it it was way more of a power/cpu hog than 80% of even the most poorly put together device specific roms.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wildtortilla posted:

A) share apps between accounts and B) both be able to use Google Talk?
Can't you add a second Google Account, then only log into Talk from the second account?

I haven't done it with two @gmail.com addresses, but I have a Gmail and Google Apps account. The Play Store uses the Gmail account, but I can log into either account on Talk separately or simultaneously.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Fuzz posted:

Has the battery life/speed of CM gotten any better since 7?
1. CM9 was completely overhauled from scratch, as was much of CM10. Modern CM shares little code with CM7.

2. CM as a platform doesn't really suffer from speed/battey issues, and frankly didn't even in CM7 days. Now, there might be speed/battery issues on specific devices due to bugs or compromised-support (particularly if the platform vendor doesn't do the open source thing well), but they're not wide-spread.

Any device in particular you're wondering about?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

1. CM9 was completely overhauled from scratch, as was much of CM10. Modern CM shares little code with CM7.

2. CM as a platform doesn't really suffer from speed/battey issues, and frankly didn't even in CM7 days. Now, there might be speed/battery issues on specific devices due to bugs or compromised-support (particularly if the platform vendor doesn't do the open source thing well), but they're not wide-spread.

Any device in particular you're wondering about?

Oh neat. Was mainly trying to figure out which ROM to use on my RAZR MAXX... Motorola's basic ROM is okay, but the way it does a lot of settings and the leach of custom lockscreens and such is pretty annoying. I also don't really like its dialer and it doesn't have a straightforward Gallery app. Also all the worthless VZW apps I can't get rid of cluttering everything up.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

My girlfriend and I bought a Nexus 10 this weekend and overall we love it. But we both think its ridiculous that if one of us downloads an app and the other wants it on their account, we have to download it again. I didn't really mid until she tried to use Google Talk and couldn't because I'm the "owner" of the device since we set up my account first. If we'd root the N10 is there a way to A) share apps between accounts and B) both be able to use Google Talk?

Set up multi-user accounts. You'll both be able to use Google Talk, because you'll "sign in" to your user account by simply hitting a little button on the lockscreen. You can't share apps between accounts; the entire point of having multi-user accounts is so you can have separate accounts!

If you don't want to use multiple accounts on the device, then you can share apps easily. Add each of your Gmail accounts under Settings->Accounts and voila. If you have multiple Google accounts tied to the device, there's a simple little drop down menu in the top left of the Google Talk app that you can easily switch between Gmail accounts.

I'm not really sure what else you could want that those two options don't satisfy. Either you have a shared device that can share everything easily, or you set up multiple accounts to keep your own personal stuff separate and then you obviously can't share apps.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:
I've avoided AOSP roms for the Note 2 since I got, and actually only rooted it a month ago, because I wanted to get rid of the persistent nfc notification and adjust some of the toggles. After playing with the TW based Skynote 8 for a bit, I saw some potential in the AOSP based CarbonRom. It was the first one that I saw change to 4.2.2 and people seemed to be saying it was rock solid and heart touching.

So I tried it out, and my impressions were as follows:

-the first thing I checked was if the contacts app crashed on opening the dialer, as that seems to be a problem with cm10.1 roms on the note 2. It worked at first, but after I restored my texts it broke. Nothing fixed this except factory resetting.

-the lauded 4.2 camera didn't come with photosphere, instead it had some stupid regular panorama, and an hdr mode that crashed every time it was used. You also could not manually focus the phone when flash was enabled, as it caused the app to lock up.

-I was eager to use the 4.2 lockscreen widgets, even if some people don't like them. This is still the only part of stock 4.2 I miss. CR has an option for shortcuts on the main screen, which is different from the sliding targets. The only problem was they weren't centered, so you either had to put on 6 of them(of which I couldn't think of 6 apps that I needed to be able to access RIGHT loving NOW), or be stuck with off center icons.

-battery life was crummy compared to stock TW. One hour of screen on time and 6 hours of idling left me with 45%. In comparison, the stock rom got about 3.5 hours of screen on time, and 22 hours total before it hit 45%. Guess it's to be expected from a homebrew build, but was hoping for a bit better.

-still no pen input gestures. I had tried another AOSP Rom that claimed to have them, but it was actually just a mouse pointer wherever you hovered the pen.

Anyhow I went back to TW, and I couldn't be happier. Everything just works, and I still get to have my Photosphere and great battery life. All hail Samsung, you can't beat the 'Wiz.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

RVProfootballer posted:

Set up multi-user accounts. You'll both be able to use Google Talk, because you'll "sign in" to your user account by simply hitting a little button on the lockscreen. You can't share apps between accounts; the entire point of having multi-user accounts is so you can have separate accounts!
Google Talk doesn't work with Android's user switching stuff. Only the first user can have it installed and working. For any other user, it gives the message that Wildtortilla is talking about. I have no idea why.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Here's a question: if I'm going to swap to a JB based ROM, should I grab the official Verizon OTA and then swap, o'er is that unnecessary? Mainly I'm worried about one or more radios not working correctly on 4.2.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tunga posted:

Google Talk doesn't work with Android's user switching stuff. Only the first user can have it installed and working. For any other user, it gives the message that Wildtortilla is talking about. I have no idea why.

This is weird as hell. It works fine if you have two Gmail accounts attached to a device, not using multi-user accounts :psyduck:

Since the other main thing he wanted was app sharing, I guess ditching multiple accounts altogether is the best option.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

AppleCobbler posted:

All hail Samsung, you can't beat the 'Wiz.
I wouldn't honestly. The reason why AOSP-based ROMs suck on the Note 2 and other Exynos 4 devices is because Samsung are incompetent dickheads about providing open-source platform support. This is a much less of an issue on MSM and OMAP, and obviously on Nexus devices.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

AppleCobbler posted:

Asop vs. TouchWiz

This is honestly how I feel about it too, I tried CarbonRom and CyanogenMod and both had me flashing back to a 4.1 TouchWiz rom each time. Just so unpolished compared to my previous Galaxy Nexus and like you said battery life was terrible compared to the TouchWiz ones. I'm currently on CleanRom Ace but might go back to JellyBeans.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Tunga posted:

This is my main beef. We added her gmail account to Google Talk under my account on the Nexus. I'm trying to figure out if there's a way to not get that bullshit message when she's logged in on her account. It's not a deal breaker or anything, just a minor annoyance we'd like to clear up / find a work-around.

RVProfootballer posted:

I guess sharing apps was a bad term to use. What I'm trying to determine is, for example, I download the Google Reader app and she wants to have Google Reader on her account with her own feeds, she has to download it herself, correct? I guess I was thinking there was a central app directory that we could both see and use, just to avoid redundancy. As in when I launch Google Reader from my account it looks to my account for what feeds to show, and when she launches Google Reader from her account the device looks at her settings and displays this accordingly. But if user data is stored within the app itself, then I understand completely why we'd each have to download the app.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Ideally what you would do is have a "common" gmail account used only for Play Store purchases and downloads. You'd then have two users on the tablet, both with the common account as primary, and your personal accounts as secondary, then only sync feeds and stuff with your personal accounts.

I think that would work fine, except for the Talk problem.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I've been using CyanDelta for a few weeks now, and I'm debating dumping it and just using the basic cmupdater. I can see it being nice for people who have limited data and want to do updates while on 3G, but from a wifi user the difference between downloading 150 MB and downloading 11 MB + merging with another zip is pretty much inconsequential. Plus I'm really annoyed that it doesn't seem to have an option to get the latest build regardless of whether it's a nightly, an M build, or a stable. It also doesn't give choices for what you can upgrade to other than the most recent. Plus sometimes it takes several hours before an update even shows up on CyanDelta, which isn't a huge deal but it's slightly annoying. The one neat feature that it has is the ability to flash extra zips after the main update zip, but I only ever have to do that once in a blue moon.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wildtortilla posted:

I guess sharing apps was a bad term to use. What I'm trying to determine is, for example, I download the Google Reader app and she wants to have Google Reader on her account with her own feeds, she has to download it herself, correct? I guess I was thinking there was a central app directory that we could both see and use, just to avoid redundancy. As in when I launch Google Reader from my account it looks to my account for what feeds to show, and when she launches Google Reader from her account the device looks at her settings and displays this accordingly. But if user data is stored within the app itself, then I understand completely why we'd each have to download the app.

I'm sure I read something about a change with this, I think you still have to install the apps (it's like a fresh device for each user) but now if the app is already installed somewhere on the device, it's not redownloaded. So it's more about having apps associated with your account, than having them associated with the physical device, but if they're present it's smart enough to make use of that

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Here's a question: if I'm going to swap to a JB based ROM, should I grab the official Verizon OTA and then swap, o'er is that unnecessary? Mainly I'm worried about one or more radios not working correctly on 4.2.

It's not necessary. Usually in forum posts you can grab radio updates that come in the form of a ZIP file you flash in Recovery. You may want to make sure you grab an updated kernel too, so that can be installed in Recovery.

If grabbing those pieces individually sounds like too much of a pain in the rear end, then just grab the OTA and then swap over. Beware that the OTA may break vulnerabilities that allow root/recovery/etc.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

ProjektorBoy posted:

It's not necessary. Usually in forum posts you can grab radio updates that come in the form of a ZIP file you flash in Recovery. You may want to make sure you grab an updated kernel too, so that can be installed in Recovery.

If grabbing those pieces individually sounds like too much of a pain in the rear end, then just grab the OTA and then swap over. Beware that the OTA may break vulnerabilities that allow root/recovery/etc.

He's on a razr maxx. Root is available on all otas currently

Binge
Feb 23, 2001

Lblitzer posted:

This is honestly how I feel about it too, I tried CarbonRom and CyanogenMod and both had me flashing back to a 4.1 TouchWiz rom each time. Just so unpolished compared to my previous Galaxy Nexus and like you said battery life was terrible compared to the TouchWiz ones. I'm currently on CleanRom Ace but might go back to JellyBeans.

One of my goals upon getting my Note II was putting some kind of pure AOSP rooted ROM on it, and see how many days it could go between charges, and how ridiculously smooth it would be. No wonder this has never panned out, and no matter what I install, I end back on Eclipse TW 1.3.

Well other than Google Now won't update, and typing this has reminded me to figure out how to remove it and install it back from the market. This is because they've inverted it right? Updates have to be reskinned or something? Which is why I get an unsigned error when updating I'm guessing.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Lblitzer posted:

Yeah, I tried some 4.2.2 AOSP based roms but gently caress, the phone lost 20% battery while I was sleeping. That's pretty loving terrible battery life. I went back to 4.1.2 the next day.

edit: Even CPU Spy told me it had been in deep sleep the whole time. 20% in deep sleep. gently caress.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Hirayuki posted:

Nobody here has used UnrEVOked to successfully fix the low space warning on their Incredible? I don't know if I should keep banging my head against this wall.

The XDA fix works fine. You should try rooting manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I'm on an SGS3 running CM10.1. Is there any conceivable way to make the home button act as a play/pause button for currently playing media when the screen is off rather than waking the device?