Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Something about seeing station wagons going mudding in the latest episode made me far happier than any other TG episode :allears:

Also, would these technically count as spoilers? If so, I can just edit them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Yeah I think this special has the potential to be one of the best. For some reason it hasn't really grabbed me yet, but I'm looking forward to see what the second half has in store. I do think it's a little weird they aren't interacting more with the local people. When they showed their cars at the very start it was bizarre how they were ignoring everyone around them and just being stared at as these crazy english guys.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I'm surprised they didn't bother to explain to the audience why the Nile is special compared to every other river in the world, especially since they mentioned the direction of the flow a couple times. Well, I'm sure James did, but they seemed to have cut it out.

Or perhaps british geography classes are wildly more in depth than 'merican ones?

marsisol
Mar 30, 2010
Just caught up on the first part of the special and I think this has got the potential to be the best. Is it just me or is the music more...prominent or something compared to other specials? We need more Top Gear combined with The XX.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
I wonder why they went through the trouble of flipping the film just after that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Probably because they went through the same section of mud several times. You can tell at one point you see Jeremy powering through some mud, then a minute later you see James going through that same section with Jeremy behind him.

dundun
Oct 29, 2005
H E R B

Piano posted:

I'm surprised they didn't bother to explain to the audience why the Nile is special compared to every other river in the world, especially since they mentioned the direction of the flow a couple times. Well, I'm sure James did, but they seemed to have cut it out.

Or perhaps british geography classes are wildly more in depth than 'merican ones?

Jeremy did explain why it was so important, I believe it was during his purposely long winded speech in the beginning of the episode.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

That Subaru :3:

Also does anyone recognize the music from the very end of the episode? I swear I've heard it before but I can't place it :(

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Also does anyone recognize the music from the very end of the episode? I swear I've heard it before but I can't place it :(
Are you referring to the theme from Zulu?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Good start so far, but not quite challenging the Bolivia or Botswana specials for me. Hopefully part 2 gets more exciting.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

gently caress SNEEP posted:

This is probably the song you're looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhnZkNj7kAo

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Stealth Like posted:

This is probably the song you're looking for.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhnZkNj7kAo

Yeah, that's it. Thanks!

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013

the toilet seat makes this so much better

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

marsisol posted:

Just caught up on the first part of the special and I think this has got the potential to be the best. Is it just me or is the music more...prominent or something compared to other specials? We need more Top Gear combined with The XX.

It made me so happy when Africa started playing :3:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
This has the potential to be my favourite TG special. Looking really good so far. It's hilarious how much advantage the agri-yob has! This episode has also taught me that I can get an 850 R for a reasonable price :D.

I've been stuck in that same spot with all the matatus (Hiace Taxis) for 2 hours once. gently caress driving in downtown Kampala.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

As long as it keeps up in the second part, I think this special is going to end up my favourite. I think the best bit had to be the trap Clarkson and May set for Hammond, where he gets his car covered in mud.

Every part involving mud was great though. Car Mud Wrestling for next sport idea please.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
When reconsidering the source of the Nile at night, when they took that close up of the kettle on the burner, I expected Hammonds car to go up in flames.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Combat Pretzel posted:

When reconsidering the source of the Nile at night, when they took that close up of the kettle on the burner, I expected Hammonds car to go up in flames.

Same here. So glad it didn't though. Still, the fuel for his stove has me worried. :ohdear:

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
I was surprised they didn't make any more of this:

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
All I know is this episode made me miss my 850R :(

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

kznlol posted:

I was surprised they didn't make any more of this:

I think the :fap: joke was enough.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
The Toto section was magical, can't wait for the second part.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That episode made me want to lower my v70

And do something about the 'low-pressure' part of the turbo.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

What was the song like 10 minutes in that was a bit twinkly but then dropped and sounds like a guy says 'OH!' or something?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

What was the song like 10 minutes in that was a bit twinkly but then dropped and sounds like a guy says 'OH!' or something?

09:49 - 10:21 - Imagine Dragons - Radioactive (Instrumental)?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Thanks! But the one on youtube doesn't have the guy shout? Is it a real specific version or something?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh god, I'm glad it wasn't just me then. I saw that lingering close up and just went "Oh no, not the Subaru..."

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah they really focused on that for a while. I'm almost certain it's gonna happen in the next part. If there's one consistent thing in Top Gear it's that putting a cooker in a vehicle always results in a massive fire, plus Hammond's already burnt down one homemade camper with a cooker before. One of my favorite moments of the series is when that happened and Clarkson's reaction is to just stand by watching it going "He's actually set fire to metal now, how's he done that?"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Great special so far, hopefully part 2 will continue delivering.

While Jezza's BMW was quite expected, I really have no idea how May could think that a lowered turbo brick with huge wheels and skinny tires is a good car to bring to Africa. Didn't they make crossover V70s before that became cool? Because that's what I'd get if I had to have a Volvo.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Thanks! But the one on youtube doesn't have the guy shout? Is it a real specific version or something?

It sounded like a cover of that song to me.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

mobby_6kl posted:

Great special so far, hopefully part 2 will continue delivering.

While Jezza's BMW was quite expected, I really have no idea how May could think that a lowered turbo brick with huge wheels and skinny tires is a good car to bring to Africa. Didn't they make crossover V70s before that became cool? Because that's what I'd get if I had to have a Volvo.

Maybe he was feeling overconfident, since the last time they were in Africa his car of choice was the only one that didn't have any major disasters the whole time.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Having owned a 2001 528i touring, that died at 180k, I laughed at his choice (mehanical, :lol: ) and look forward to it's continued spiral toward failure.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

How the hell are any of those cars available for 1,500 quid?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

kloa posted:

It sounded like a cover of that song to me.

Yeah same. I'm so annoyed that shazam can't find it haha.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Josh Lyman posted:

Probably a heartbeat away from a massive MOT failure.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Josh Lyman posted:

I thought they said 15,000 quid.

e: nope, May did say 1500 right off the bat.

grover fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 5, 2013

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

grover posted:

I thought they said 15,000 quid.

Then the question remains pretty much the same, doesn't it? :)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, there's no way they bought those cars for 1500. That's about 2200 USD and I can find early 90s 850s for about that. The 850r was started in 96, so I can't see them getting one under the limit. Those cars have to have major problems or they cheated.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

You can defos do it we had a look about earlier.
Eg: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/volvo/850/volvo-850-t5r1996/1057700

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, there's no way they bought those cars for 1500. That's about 2200 USD and I can find early 90s 850s for about that. The 850r was started in 96, so I can't see them getting one under the limit. Those cars have to have major problems or they cheated.

Aren't used cars considerably cheaper in the UK though?