Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!

DrNutt posted:

I think I'll be unlocking via Aussie VPN tonight.

Do you know any good, reliable and easy to use Australian VPNs? My game is finishing preloading right now, and I'm really hyped so there's no way I'm waiting for the official release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Camaro83 posted:

Anybody know what the cheapest PC preorder deal is?

Green Man Gaming is like $34 with the 20% coupon.

Disorientated
Sep 1, 2006

Attention Horse posted:

Do you know any good, reliable and easy to use Australian VPNs? My game is finishing preloading right now, and I'm really hyped so there's no way I'm waiting for the official release.

I would also be interested in this information - all the VPNs I usually use for these sorts of shenanigans are US based.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wait five hours like me you impatient fucks.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Green Man Gaming is like $34 with the 20% coupon.

Thanks! Gotta love PC prices.

One question. I've never preordered from GMG before so does anybody know if you get a steam code to preload prior to release?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Camaro83 posted:

It came down as low as £17.50 ($25) on GMG back during the December sales. There is a certain art to bargain-hunting that seems almost inseparable from PC gaming now.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

Wait five hours like me you impatient fucks.

Wait till 8th like most Europeans and then you can say you are a MAN.

Edit: TR is really released on 5th in Europe too?! I don't believe it.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Attention Horse posted:

I've used flyvpn's free trial to unlock games in the past. I used the free trial at inCloak to unlock Tomb Raider this morning.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ihmemies posted:

Wait till 8th like most Europeans and then you can say you are a MAN.

I can't hear you over my tea. :britain:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Camaro83 posted:

One question. I've never preordered from GMG before so does anybody know if you get a steam code to preload prior to release?

Yes, they e-mail you the code very quickly. A friend of mine preordered this morning using exactly what I mentioned and got the code within 30 minutes.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
Does anybody know if there a valid GMG coupon code right now? They usually post it on their website but I can't find one on there nor on the Reddit Gamedeals page.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

If anyone's interested in how the TressFX stuff looks I tried uploading a short clip to Youtube.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
I use Overplay VPN. It costs money though bit it's really good and you can choose from several proxies around the world depending on your need.

I raided a tomb and on the map there's still a marker for a treasure map inside the tomb, but when I checked it out it was empty. Doesn't the treasure icon disapper after you raid a tomb or am I blind?

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

This game has the worst subtitle formatting.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Anyone else getting a CTD right after killing your first deer?

Doctor Doctor
May 25, 2009

"I'm not a hero, I'm just an old killer"

dreffen posted:

Anyone else getting a CTD right after killing your first deer?

Yeah that's actually the end of the game. Apparently the whole thing is just a really expensive statement about wildlife preservation.

mid83
Oct 15, 2012
Bought for $36 and already downloading on Steam. Did I mention how much I love PC gaming?

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Perfect World posted:

People have reported success by turning off tesselation. I certainly hope it's as easy as that. I have a 680 and thankfully I never bother to turn on tesselation anyway.
I dunno, it's starting to look like waiting for a patch is the sane thing to do. In the (admittedly unlikely) case there won't be one...well, guess I'll get to buy BioShock Infinite instead! Unless that turns out to be really buggy as well. :shobon:

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Doctor Doctor posted:

Yeah that's actually the end of the game. Apparently the whole thing is just a really expensive statement about wildlife preservation.

Only I can prevent deer from being bow-murdered?

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

Dan Didio posted:

It varies. A handful each, usually, but there's also more sorts of collectibles and challenges on top of that.

Are there time trials?

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

VPN'd it open. Korean FlyVPN worked flawlessly.

What the hell is "Exclusive Fullscreen" and "High precision"?

edit: Hahaha, holy poo poo, TresFX looks terrible.

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 4, 2013

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Attention Horse posted:

VPN'd it open. Korean FlyVPN worked flawlessly.

edit: Hahaha, holy poo poo, TresFX looks terrible.

More generally, how demanding is it graphically? I have a GTX460 1gig, 4 gig RAM and a Phenom ii x3 720, which is somewhere between the minimum and recommended settings. Does it scale nicely?

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

sebmojo posted:

More generally, how demanding is it graphically? I have a GTX460 1gig, 4 gig RAM and a Phenom ii x3 720, which is somewhere between the minimum and recommended settings. Does it scale nicely?

I have a 560Ti, 8 gig ram, i5 2320 and with these settings:

benchmark performed pretty nicely - 40 fps on average.

I'll tell you more in a sec, right now I'm downloading the English language pack, because the Polish version is terrible.

Belan
May 7, 2007

Perfect World posted:

People have reported success by turning off tesselation. I certainly hope it's as easy as that. I have a 680 and thankfully I never bother to turn on tesselation anyway.

Turning tesselation off fixed my crashing problem, thanks.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Chinaman7000 posted:

This game has the worst subtitle formatting.

I've just launched the game and holy poo poo :psyduck:, what were they thinking?!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Attention Horse posted:

I have a 560Ti, 8 gig ram, i5 2320 and with these settings:

benchmark performed pretty nicely - 40 fps on average.

I'll tell you more in a sec, right now I'm downloading the English language pack, because the Polish version is terrible.

Thanks, that sounds like it should be okay for me then, the 460 isn't too much worse than the Ti and I don't mind turning a few things down.

What's weird about the subtitles?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Sharp bracket parentheses on thick black borders. It looks horrific.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Attention Horse posted:

Exclusive Fullscreen is the opposite of Borderless Windowed mode.

Dan Didio posted:

Sharp bracket parentheses on thick black borders. It looks horrific.
This is closed caption formatting. It is a bit thick but it's much better than the standard slap some text on the screen with a small border or something. I might be able to adjust the formatting a bit, but will have to look into that first.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 4, 2013

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

TheCoon posted:

I've used flyvpn's free trial to unlock games in the past. I used the free trial at inCloak to unlock Tomb Raider this morning.

Can't believe I didn't check this thread earlier! Just confirming that inCloak worked fine for me too - I used South Korea, but I did have to enable the 'routing and remote access' service in Windows 7 before it worked correctly.

Also, this game is awesome so far. Puzzles, odd camera angles, it's just like old times!

mmtt
May 8, 2009
The game is pretty fun so far. It's pretty much Lost the Action Game. They are lot of side characters from the boat, so it's a bit confusing. I'm a few hours in, just found the Queen tomb. They borrowed a lot from Uncharted and a bit from Assassin's Creed. The game can be quite gruesome at times, Lara gets through the worst kind of poo poo. The early survival part is very short though, Lara pretty quickly turns into a badass woman, mowing down score of baddies, yet somehow she acts like she is afraid of her own shadow.

So far I played with a Xbox gamepad but considering the amount of shooting that you do, I'm kinda on the fence, I might switch to mouse&keyboard at least for multiplayer.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Prince John posted:

Can't believe I didn't check this thread earlier! Just confirming that inCloak worked fine for me too - I used South Korea, but I did have to enable the 'routing and remote access' service in Windows 7 before it worked correctly.

Also, this game is awesome so far. Puzzles, odd camera angles, it's just like old times!

Really regretting my Origin purchase!
Can't even do a sneaky unlock because they don't dish out keys til release day :(

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
TressFX would probably look a lot better if every hair element wasn't an independent physics object. The way Lara's ponytail splays out all over the place makes it look literally like a horse's tail.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

TressFX would probably look a lot better if every hair element wasn't an independent physics object. The way Lara's ponytail splays out all over the place makes it look literally like a horse's tail.

I remember the big deal they made about hair physics in Tomb Raider 3. :allears:

One hour to go for us Brits. I'm weirdly, genuinely excited now. I'm a bloody teenager all over again.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Played it for 2 hours. Really cool game with a shitload of collectables. There is a lot of optional things to find - artifacts, documents, journals, chests with salvage, chests with xp etc. It really is Uncharted + Arkham Asylum. Performance on PC is all over the place. Sometimes I get 60 fps, but when I position the camera in a specific direction it drops to 30. I think there are some performance problems with depth of field, not sure.

edit: Play on Hard, Normal is way too easy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, this game has the worst QTEs.

I've done the stupid assault one at least 5 times now, and I'm getting fed up with it. It wants me to do jaggy danger symbol, jaggy danger symbol, skull symbol, left to right, then maybe another skull symbol.

Oh, it's not going to bother telling me what those symbols actually are mind you. It's some variation of space, lmb, e, q, and f. Apparently when they showed them off right at the beginning I was supposed to pay close attention to that poo poo and get it memorized, because gently caress you, it's never appearing again.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, is it as sexist as it looked a while back?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Rookersh posted:

Man, this game has the worst QTEs.

I've done the stupid assault one at least 5 times now, and I'm getting fed up with it. It wants me to do jaggy danger symbol, jaggy danger symbol, skull symbol, left to right, then maybe another skull symbol.

Oh, it's not going to bother telling me what those symbols actually are mind you. It's some variation of space, lmb, e, q, and f. Apparently when they showed them off right at the beginning I was supposed to pay close attention to that poo poo and get it memorized, because gently caress you, it's never appearing again.

In the controls menu: if a button is used in QTEs, the red icon that appears during the event is displayed next to that button in the mapping table. That being said, the QTEs in this game are loving bullshit and I had to do that wolf in the cave almost a dozen times. Half the time the initial right/left mash didn't even work, or I would hit F as soon as I could because that's how QTEs have always worked in every game, ever (not this poo poo where you have to wait before you push the button).

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, is it as sexist as it looked a while back?

No, I've seen some scenes which I can definitely see people taking issue with, but I thought they felt natural and I really like the direction they've taken Lara's character in. I still think the underlying implication of this reboot is troubling, but the execution is not the issue here.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

No, I've seen some scenes which I can definitely see people taking issue with, but I thought they felt natural and I really like the direction they've taken Lara's character in. I still think the underlying implication of this reboot is troubling, but the execution is not the issue here.

So no Rape/Almost Rape scene then? I remember hearing some snippet about that that turned me off from this game, but I might take a look if there's nothing too skeevy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

So no Rape/Almost Rape scene then? I remember hearing some snippet about that that turned me off from this game, but I might take a look if there's nothing too skeevy.

I don't want to say it's not an 'almost rape' scene, because that sounds kind of like the implication is being brushed over, but there's no scene where rape is the focus or Lara is explicitly threatened with it. The scene that you're referencing is in the game and it is sexual assault, but it's not as objectionable as the marketing made it look and it's certainly not gratuitous.

• Locked thread