Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tusen Takk posted:

My mate spotted a Cadillac ELR today and sent this to me.

I rather like it :allears:
What segment is the ELR?
e: nm. Its the caddy volt.
Shrug.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Mar 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Why isn't a paintjob like this ever available from the factory?

If you crash into a camouflaged car, can you claim you didn't see it?

Edit: You guys are reading far too much into a joke.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Mar 5, 2013

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Aurune posted:

If you crash into a camouflaged car, can you claim you didn't see it?

I'm sure if it were a big-enough-deal car whoever camouflaged it would pay you off to get you to say you hit a pole instead of taking photos of it for insurance.

VVVV Very true, but then you wouldn't be able to joke about how serious auto manufacturers can get about hiding new looks.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 4, 2013

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I'm sure if it were a big-enough-deal car whoever camouflaged it would pay you off to get you to say you hit a pole instead of taking photos of it for insurance.

I'm sure they would love to be complicit in insurance fraud. They'd just take care of it and not let you inspect the car.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

What exactly is the purpose of wrapping test mules with those wierd black and white patterns, anyway? Is it just to make the car more difficult to identify?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
It helps hide details, like smaller body lines, in photographs.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Augmented Dickey posted:

What exactly is the purpose of wrapping test mules with those wierd black and white patterns, anyway? Is it just to make the car more difficult to identify?
Its supposed to confuse and hide details rather than conceal.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzle_camouflage

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 4, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Why isn't a paintjob like this ever available from the factory?

What'd be hilarious if someone did a vinyl wrap like that and put it on a late 90's Camry or something completely bland. People would see it out of the corner of their eye and go chasing after it like it's some top secret test mule then get very disappointed and confused. Good advice for any kids who just want attention but can't afford $3,000 rims for their Civic.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
The new $4.6M Lamborghini Veneno is way over the top in every respect, and that just makes the little kid in me absolutely giddy!

http://jalopnik.com/lamborghini-veneno-all-of-it-450933018

grover fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Mar 4, 2013

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Looks insane, but four and a half million dollars? That seems steep even in the supercar world.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Augmented Dickey posted:

Looks insane, but four and a half million dollars? That seems steep even in the supercar world.

None of these cars are being bought for value for money, so I don't think it matters. It's a marketing tool that Lambo gets some money back on.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Augmented Dickey posted:

I agree with both you and kimbo. 4 1/2 million for something almost every Lambo can do already? But drat would I love pretending to be Batman with that. There isn't a :flashfap: big enough.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Worth every loving penny too, that is an insanely cool-looking thing. When you're in Bugatti/Pagani/Koenigsegg territory you don't buy them for worth, you buy them cause they're art you can drive.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

davebo posted:

What'd be hilarious if someone did a vinyl wrap like that and put it on a late 90's Camry or something completely bland. People would see it out of the corner of their eye and go chasing after it like it's some top secret test mule then get very disappointed and confused. Good advice for any kids who just want attention but can't afford $3,000 rims for their Civic.

A full printed wrap could run you $3k easy, though. It would be way harder to steal than $3k rims, so it's probably still a better deal.

eames
May 9, 2009

New 991 GT3

http://jalopnik.com/2014-porsche-911-gt3-this-is-it-450987702

no more manual, PDK only.

this is just in:

475 hp
3.5 sec to 100 km/h (997 GT3: 4.1 sec, apparently the GT3 uses a "vastly improved" version of the 991's PDK)
rear axle steering :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECATvlRf3ls

eames fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 4, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Cream_Filling posted:

A full printed wrap could run you $3k easy, though. It would be way harder to steal than $3k rims, so it's probably still a better deal.

No, no. Once you mainstream production and lower costs then you can just buy them in the stick-on hood vent aisle at Advance Auto Parts.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

I think it looks friggin' amazing, however the PDK-only kind of spoils it for me. Here's hoping that there's a Cayman GT3/RS with a manual transmission. :sigh:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Cream_Filling posted:

I saw a GM something-or-other yesterday (wrapped for about 70% of the body) driving I-80W towards Sacramento over the Donner pass. It had very little front coverage, but the sides were completely wrapped. It had very GM looking headlamps and very puffy sides. That's all I got since I was driving at about the same speed opposite. Maybe it was returning to Tahoe. v:v:v

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

bidikyoopi posted:

Worth every loving penny too, that is an insanely cool-looking thing. When you're in Bugatti/Pagani/Koenigsegg territory you don't buy them for worth, you buy them cause they're art you can drive.

Also, in 20 years that car will have doubled in value.

It's pure sex on wheels, I don't even care.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Where is lambo pulling that price out of? I guess the fact that they're only making 3 I believe jacks up the price quite a bit, but still, the technical specs don't make it seem too ridiculous over the aventador, which is 4+ million dollars less.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
It's neat in a batmobile sort of way but hard to see any Lamborghini DNA in the design. Maybe Lambo needs a distinctive color like Ferrari red.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
VW GTD is coming to the states!

https://twitter.com/CARandDRIVER/status/308687516259725312

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

One thing's for certain: reversing in that car will be as terrifying as driving it to the limit.

Looks rad as hell though.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Oh, sure, right after I buy a car.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Well I am loving excited.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's neat in a batmobile sort of way but hard to see any Lamborghini DNA in the design. Maybe Lambo needs a distinctive color like Ferrari red.

They already do have a distinctive color: Fire.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

It'll get pulled after this generation due to slow sales because enthusiasts are completely unable to put their money where their mouth is.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It'll get pulled after this generation due to slow sales because enthusiasts are completely unable to put their money where their mouth is.

Quiet, you. I'm straining my taco and french fry oil.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

VW will regret their decision harder and faster than when Ron Burgundy jumped into the tiger pit.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Half of all jetta sales are tdi already They can just eliminate the 2.5l and offer only the 2.0l 8v, regular tide and the gtd and stay about the same in sales.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Oh, sure, right after I buy a car.

Yeah, I grabbed a 2013 Golf TDI last August. I couldn't wait around on the hopes that it would come here and it'll probably be retarded expensive for no real reason.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

fknlo posted:

Yeah, I grabbed a 2013 Golf TDI last August. I couldn't wait around on the hopes that it would come here and it'll probably be retarded expensive for no real reason.

If they run the same trims as the GTI I'd wager a 1k premium. I wonder if they'll do it more like the Golf R though with very few trims.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Bovril Delight posted:

If they run the same trims as the GTI I'd wager a 1k premium. I wonder if they'll do it more like the Golf R though with very few trims.

In Australia the current GTD is cheaper than the GTI

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

You Am I posted:

In Australia the current GTD is cheaper than the GTI

Here, a GTI with basically the same options as my TDI is about 1.5-2k more. I expect the GTD to be in the $28k range.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yellow is actually the Ferrari color. Check out their shield.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
If Lamborghini gets a color, it should be green.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Dunno, isn't that pretty close to Porsche RS green?

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Sinestro posted:

If Lamborghini gets a color, it should be green.

If Lamborghini gets a color it should be whatever color guano is.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Muffinpox posted:

If Lamborghini gets a color it should be whatever color guano is.

Guano On Fire is a pretty good band name, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

eames posted:

New 991 GT3

http://jalopnik.com/2014-porsche-911-gt3-this-is-it-450987702

no more manual, PDK only.

this is just in:

475 hp
3.5 sec to 100 km/h (997 GT3: 4.1 sec, apparently the GT3 uses a "vastly improved" version of the 991's PDK)
rear axle steering :pcgaming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECATvlRf3ls
Looks like every other 911 of the last decade.