Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Okay, well, this is dumb. In MotE, you can force nations to "release" countries that already exist. As France, I did this with Spain against the UK, because it looked like a cheaper way to grant them Gibralter. Except after doing so, the game acted as if they were a freshly released nation, and canceled all treaties they had, including their satellite status with me. So the war with the UK ended with them losing Gibralter and me losing Spain. gently caress. That's a few hours I'm never getting back. The "Release nation" option just straight up shouldn't exist for an existing nation, or it shouldn't cancel any agreements that nation has with all other nations.

Spain wasn't satellited. If a nation is satellited then they gain territory but retain satellite status. You must have gone ahead with the initial allied condition rather than breaking that to satellite Spain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fermun posted:

Spain wasn't satellited. If a nation is satellited then they gain territory but retain satellite status. You must have gone ahead with the initial allied condition rather than breaking that to satellite Spain.

Hmm, what is Spain to France at the game start? Just an alliance/coalition member? Whoops. Oh well, I'd rather have Gibraltar in their hands than in GB's.

edit: Is there a way to break satellite status with a satellite or to annnex them? I just realized I need Braunschwig in order to form Westphalia but I satellited Brunswick instead of annexing.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Mar 3, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I really don't see CK2 ever having a random map generator in the sense that it generates random terrain. The terrain's heightmap is just too detailed for a simple algorithm, and the colormap would ruin everything even if you did get one working. My goal is to randomly generate provinces over the existing terrain. It's going to be tough enough trying to logically define coastal sea provinces. I have some semblance of an idea, but it's incredibly convoluted and fragile.

The height map is entirely cosmetic, though, isn't it? I think there are some CKII performance mods that simply make the map flat. You could just generate a flat CKII map similar to how the EUIII generator works. I believe the EUIII generator has open source code too, so it might be vastly easier just to hack/modify it into making CKII maps instead.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Fintilgin posted:

The height map is entirely cosmetic, though, isn't it? I think there are some CKII performance mods that simply make the map flat. You could just generate a flat CKII map similar to how the EUIII generator works. I believe the EUIII generator has open source code too, so it might be vastly easier just to hack/modify it into making CKII maps instead.
That's cheating :colbert:

Also, the colormap would still gently caress everything up and a map that doesn't have a colormap looks dark and terrible. Plus I don't even want to wrap my head around generating a minimap image. When I'm done this should be able to read whatever terrain/height/rivers map you feed into it.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Is there anyway to get/speed up your possibilities of getting a new heir in EUIII? Mine died and my king is pretty old...

Also, does anyone know any tricks for getting un-excommunicated? I've had max relations with both the Papal State and the Papal Controller, but nothing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's no way to get a new heir except by random luck, and I'm pretty sure there's no way to improve your chances. But on the bright side, having your dynasty go extinct isn't the end of the world in EU3. Just make sure you have a lot of prestige and/or no royal marriages with anyone more powerful than you.

And the excommunication will be lifted when your monarch dies, so two birds with one stone!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fister Roboto posted:

There's no way to get a new heir except by random luck, and I'm pretty sure there's no way to improve your chances. But on the bright side, having your dynasty go extinct isn't the end of the world in EU3. Just make sure you have a lot of prestige and/or no royal marriages with anyone more powerful than you.

And the excommunication will be lifted when your monarch dies, so two birds with one stone!
As far as I'm aware lots of royal marriages increase the likelihood you spawn an heir, but to be honest I have absolutely nothing to corroborate this.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Beamed posted:

As far as I'm aware lots of royal marriages increase the likelihood you spawn an heir, but to be honest I have absolutely nothing to corroborate this.

I've never heard that before.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

I've noticed that I rarely have regencies now that I marry everyone I can (as opposed to spending 60% of the game having them before), but maybe it's just confirmation bias on my part.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I've been playing CK2 forever now, and I want to know: was HoI3 ever made playable, and did they ever fix Vicky 2's economy?

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

:shrug: It was advice that was given on the Paradox forums before, and, possibly via. confirmation bias, seems to have worked for me.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So I've been playing CK2 forever now, and I want to know: was HoI3 ever made playable, and did they ever fix Vicky 2's economy?

HOI 3 is playable if you like organizing armies and army groups and corps. V2 is perfectly playable.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baloogan posted:

HOI 3 is playable if you like organizing armies and army groups and corps. V2 is perfectly playable.

No more broken economy thanks to not being able to satisfy demand?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

V2's economy isn't perfect but it's reasonable now. HoI3 is enjoyed by some, but it's still hit or miss.

If the last time you played V2 is A House Divided, I don't think it has gotten any better since then. So if you didn't like it then, check back after the next expansion, I guess.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

Yes, and yes. HOI3's only remaining problem, IMO, is that trying to fight the Eastern Front involves a lot of work similar to playing a game solely dedicated to it, even if you delegate the AI to handle every other Front and every other aspect of your nation, solely due to the sheer size and province count.

AI delegation certainly helps, but I've never been able to become comfortable using it on the same Front that I'm managing.

As for Victoria 2, it works out of the box now. One might say that control of your nation is still unintuitive at best and done via gentle nudges at worst, but I've sunk lots of hours into it since AHD.

EDIT: The problem you're referring to where Army development would come to a screeching halt due to a global shortage on Liquor and similar problems with Wine and other Luxury goods has been mostly fixed. There is still eventually a materials shortage in the last stage of the game, but that one is intentional.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 4, 2013

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
I'd say vanilla V2+New Nations Mod is all you need for AHD, and to be frank I just like NNM because it makes Africa less barren, adds some cool formable nations (my favourite is Fascist Transcaucasian as Azerbaijan, because of the Orthodox cross right in the middle of my Shia fascist nation's flag), and adds the reverse American civil war where states succeed if the USA gets too undemocratic. APD just bloats my game too much and imho isn't worth the good changes it makes.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Are the Westernization mechanics going to change in Heart of Darkness? I was really excited for V2+ because I liked the way Westernization sounded there, but...

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What I sometimes do is just edit the save file to make the countries I want to be civilized or not.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

catlord posted:

Are the Westernization mechanics going to change in Heart of Darkness? I was really excited for V2+ because I liked the way Westernization sounded there, but...

No.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I don't think they have said for certain they would not change. They just haven't talked about it yet.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

catlord posted:

What was Westernization going to be in V2+?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

What was Westernization going to be in V2+?

What Wiz had in mind was that all nations would be able to do everything. In unmodded V2, Uncivs cannot build factories nor can they research in the same way civilized nations can, but the plan for V2 was to just slap on hefty research, factory cost and factory output penalties on Uncivs, but still allow them to actually do these actions.

Education was also given a hefty penalty if you were an Unciv, both in efficiency and maintenance cost.

To actually Westernize, the nation needed 10% Literacy and 10 Prestige to go from an Uncivilized Tribalism to an Uncivilized Monarchy, and then 20% Literacy and 20 Prestige to go from an Uncivilized Monarchy to a Civilized Nation, which would be completely normal.

The idea was that it would allow you to actually do stuff while playing as China, without turning into an industrial powerhouse in the first decade or so because of your massive population because your factories are playing with both hands tied behind their backs.

The path to losing Unciv status would be straight-forward, but running Education at a 50+% slider setting to increase literacy was supposed to be so expensive that you'd need high-value RGOs and maxed Admin Efficiency to pull it off, and you'd probably still end up with a ton of foreign debt regardless.

Finally, triggering the first and second steps of Westernization was supposed to increase militancy and spark Reactionary revolts, so the player would have to be ready to handle rebels as well.

Source: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=409544177

Wiz also talked about National Focuses and Colonization in V2, which I thought at the time was a brilliant set of ideas:

* Nations would have unlimited National Focuses

* More generic NFs would be added for when you didn't need to promote specific POPs:
Increase factory throughput
Increase RGO output
Increase Consciousness and reduce Militancy
Reduce Consciousness and increase Militancy
Increase Population Growth

* In order to prevent unlimited NFs from allowing you to colonize the whole of Africa in a single go, every province of Africa was already occupied by a nation, but you cannot declare war on them until you've met the tech and life-rating requirements that would have allowed colonization in the original game anyway.

* You could also colonize diplomatically - add a nation to your sphere and you'd eventually get an event to integrate them into your nation, but again, not without the requisite life-rating and techs.

Source: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=409544841

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 4, 2013

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Thanks, I've been trying to find the exact stuff in the Azerbaijan thread and hadn't yet. I still think it sounds really, really cool.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'm not even sure if that's possible. Trying to script anything in Vicky 2 is infuriating.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I'm not even sure if that's possible. Trying to script anything in Vicky 2 is infuriating.

Wiz already pulled it off, I think - every nation was designated as a Civilized Nation, and then they just had country modifiers for the various efficiency and cost penalties.

Unciv Tribalism flags you with a -75% Education Efficiency penalty (among other things), and then you get a decision to reform into Unciv Monarchy after you meet the Literacy and Prestige requirements. Triggering the decision removes the Unciv Tribalism flag and replaces it with an Unciv Monarchy flag, whose Education Efficiency penalty is just -50% and causes a bunches of other effects like militancy and whatnot. The last reform removes the Unciv Monarchy flag altogether.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.
Does anyone know how to edit EU3 text files to remove "Nationalism" from a province? I'm stuck with it for 50 years on a province that cored from a mission. I was under the impression once a province cored, it didn't have Nationalism caused revolt risk? I just want to edit it out since if I am correct it shouldn't be there.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
You should find something like YEARS_OF_NATIONALISM in defines.lua.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

MiscMods is hilariously broken on unified nations. England broke away from Great Britain, Muscovy from Russia, Castille (and Granada and Navarra and Aragorn) from Spain. Also, Japan is at war with Taira and the Papal State, having all of 8 provinces, is ranked #1 in a world with gigantic Burgundy and Austria blobs.

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

You should find something like YEARS_OF_NATIONALISM in defines.lua.

The catch is I just want to remove it from this one province, not edit it as it is in the game.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Vegetable posted:

MiscMods is hilariously broken on unified nations. England broke away from Great Britain, Muscovy from Russia, Castille (and Granada and Navarra and Aragorn) from Spain. Also, Japan is at war with Taira and the Papal State, having all of 8 provinces, is ranked #1 in a world with gigantic Burgundy and Austria blobs.

To be fair to Miscmods, it does have an event for unified nations removing the cores of their constituent countries. It fires only leisurely though, and only one province at a time.

Speaking of Miscmods, did a version compatible with the 5.2 beta ever come out?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

There's no really a wrong answer. You basically have no control over technology, so it's best to set it to Whatever and leave it. Technology will spread seemingly randomly, so that research bonus of yours won't even feel like it's doing anything. It feels nice to set Culture tech to Legalism, though, since it gives you a demesne bonus.

The only province I ever bother messing with tech on is my capitol. Capitol military techs (for retinues) and culture are more important than the tech levels anywhere else. For the economic stuff, I just fill in whatever is behind since you get such a huge bonus in speed when you don't have the ahead penalty going and then focus on teching whatever tech will unlock buildings I would like to upgrade. Usually castle infrastructure. But yeah, the overall tech level isn't that heavily impacted by what you do and you could safely ignore the tech page for the entire game and it wouldn't have that profound of an effect.

Hopefully whatever they do with techs is more interesting with the old gods.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

MC2552John posted:

Does anyone know how to edit EU3 text files to remove "Nationalism" from a province? I'm stuck with it for 50 years on a province that cored from a mission. I was under the impression once a province cored, it didn't have Nationalism caused revolt risk? I just want to edit it out since if I am correct it shouldn't be there.
I thought "Nationalism" was just a modifier that could be refreshed once in a while, not simply something for non-core provinces? Don't nationalist rebels reapply it for some years, if they manage to siege a province into submission?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hey Paradox devs, if any of you guys are looking for ideas for HOD, I think it would be really nice if there was an easier way to see what provinces produce what goods. The RGO Output mapmode was a great idea, but if you're looking for a specific resource you still have to do some tedious searching some time. It would be amazing if you could click on a resource on the production or trade screen, and on the popup there's a button that automatically shows the RGO Output mapmode for that resource.

And while I'm at it, it would also be really cool if you could get detailed information on what goods other nations are producing.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Are there any mods for V2 that makes the borders between individual provinces and their names easier to see? I have to squint to make out the land provinces when they are covered by FoW, and I'm literally unable to see the names and borders between sea provinces under FoW.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I thought "Nationalism" was just a modifier that could be refreshed once in a while, not simply something for non-core provinces? Don't nationalist rebels reapply it for some years, if they manage to siege a province into submission?

That is correct, nationalism is a separate counter that resets when rebels capture the province.

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be amazing if you could click on a resource on the production or trade screen, and on the popup there's a button that automatically shows the RGO Output mapmode for that resource

Haven't played much v2 so not sure how I did it but there's already way to highlight provinces by resource on the map. I think you go to the RGO mapmode and click a province with a certain resource and all the other provinces with that resource light up. Not perfect but it's better than trying to find them all individually.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Nightblade posted:

Are there any mods for V2 that makes the borders between individual provinces and their names easier to see? I have to squint to make out the land provinces when they are covered by FoW, and I'm literally unable to see the names and borders between sea provinces under FoW.
Seconding this. I have no idea what province I'm clicking on under fog.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Trujillo posted:

Haven't played much v2 so not sure how I did it but there's already way to highlight provinces by resource on the map. I think you go to the RGO mapmode and click a province with a certain resource and all the other provinces with that resource light up. Not perfect but it's better than trying to find them all individually.

Yeah, I know, that's exactly what I said in my post. What I'd like is to be able to click on the iron icon in the production screen, and have a button that automatically turns on the RGO Output mapmode for iron.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

MC2552John posted:

I'd imagine you could open your save game file in a text editor that can tackle biggish files and search for [insert province here]. Then scroll down until you find the corresponding nationalism = x.x%. Set it to the desired amount and save.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Jean Pony posted:

I'd imagine you could open your save game file in a text editor that can tackle biggish files and search for [insert province here]. Then scroll down until you find the corresponding nationalism = x.x%. Set it to the desired amount and save.

You can actually just delete the entire line from the save. And make sure you're editing the actual province, and not the history for the province.

• Locked thread