Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

notthegoatseguy posted:

On the other hand, I'm pretty certain the Speaker of the House has much more control over committee assignments and committee chairmanship in the US House. I wouldn't be all that surprised if the Senate started drifting more toward that model within the next 10-20 years.

There's also a CRS report on House procedures, but I'm not as familiar with those (I used to work in the Senate so it was more relevant).

I would be quite surprised if the Senate went towards a single assigning individual as a model, though - the rules require approval by the entire Senate so any majority/minority assignment model is basically going to require some kind of caucus buy-in anyway (and we've seen how eager Senators are to change the rules even when the rules are hurting them, much less when they're helpful).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

Cheekio posted:

I'm still not sure how I feel about her actions in these Senate hearings. Is it bark with no bite? Is it alienating her from getting involved in any worthwhile committees?

It's grandstanding that won't lead to anything. The rest of the Senate isn't going to rock the big finance money train, so they let Warren act as a lightning rod who talks a bunch and they can point at those pretty speeches and yelling at the bankers as "our party cares about protecting the common man" while taking dirty money from the banks.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

wodin posted:

It's grandstanding that won't lead to anything. The rest of the Senate isn't going to rock the big finance money train, so they let Warren act as a lightning rod who talks a bunch and they can point at those pretty speeches and yelling at the bankers as "our party cares about protecting the common man" while taking dirty money from the banks.

This is true, but on the other hand, recognizing that grandstanding against banks is a positive thing, is a positive step for the senate finance committee.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Read his lips: new taxes.

Of course, he couches it in the usual, "as long as we gut Social Security and Medicare at the same time" language, but still proposing new taxes put Jeb squarely in Heresytown.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Joementum posted:

Read his lips: new taxes.

Of course, he couches it in the usual, "as long as we gut Social Security and Medicare at the same time" language, but still proposing new taxes put Jeb squarely in Heresytown.

This country won't vote for another Bush 8 years removed from the worst president of any of our lifetimes right. Right?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

mcmagic posted:

This country won't vote for another Bush 8 years removed from the worst president of any of our lifetimes right. Right?

There is at least 45% of this country that would, even though GWB's approval rating was roughly half that when he left office.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am not really convinced Jeb has the winning pitch.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/03/04/jeb-bush-immigration-book-president/1962209/

quote:

Since the election, the political imperative in both parties to act on immigration prompted Bush and co-author Clint Bolick to speed up publication of Immigration Wars: Forging an American Solution by two months so it might help shape the debate on Capitol Hill. In the 274-page book, they outline a prescription on immigration that is likely to raise some hackles on both sides.

At odds with many conservatives, they support establishing a path to legal status for undocumented immigrants now in the U.S. without setting preconditions on improvements in border security. At odds with many liberals, that path to legal status wouldn't include citizenship for those who arrived in the United States as adults

Yes! A path that no one likes and doesn't solve the problem. You have to do more than emphatically say you're a compassionate conservative.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
O'Malleymentum continues unabated in a new Washington Post poll of Maryland.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any idea when we'll have an inkling of the "protest candidates" challenging the party from the left in the primary?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ufarn posted:

Any idea when we'll have an inkling of the "protest candidates" challenging the party from the left in the primary?

There may be a few who announce super-early, but the real test will be in summer 2015 when the cable channels decide which of them get to appear in the debates.

For example: CNN thought that Herman Cain was a credible candidate and Buddy Roemer was not.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I am not really convinced Jeb has the winning pitch.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/03/04/jeb-bush-immigration-book-president/1962209/

Yes! A path that no one likes and doesn't solve the problem. You have to do more than emphatically say you're a compassionate conservative.

This starts his move to the batshit right to appeal to primary voters in 16.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
So is Jeb Bush taking 2016 seriously? Why else would he do a complete 180 on immigration? Why would he even bother? He should know he doesn't have a chance.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Is it wrong that I desperately want to see a Haley/Brewer ticket from the GOP in 2016? I mean it would be like a perfect storm of borderline insane, yet seemingly well liked GOP women. I mean I don't think it would do them any favors with the Latino vote they seem to be courting, but statistically speaking they should do better among women than Romney did.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Red_Mage posted:

Is it wrong that I desperately want to see a Haley/Brewer ticket from the GOP in 2016? I mean it would be like a perfect storm of borderline insane, yet seemingly well liked GOP women. I mean I don't think it would do them any favors with the Latino vote they seem to be courting, but statistically speaking they should do better among women than Romney did.

I don't think Haley is liked by anyone--even her own state hates her guts. Hasn't the overwhelmingly-Republican SC legislature overridden her veto a few times?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Alter Ego posted:

I don't think Haley is liked by anyone--even her own state hates her guts. Hasn't the overwhelmingly-Republican SC legislature overridden her veto a few times?

Yeah, Haley's sitting on something like 42% approval rating (up from 34%!) even in South Carolina.

http://www.fitsnews.com/2013/02/20/nikki-haleys-approval-rating-climbs/

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, Haley's sitting on something like 42% approval rating (up from 34%!) even in South Carolina.

I consider anything over 40% to be high/well liked when speaking about a GOP presidential primary. After the dog and dancing pony that was 2012 nothing can surprise me.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Jeb Bush the populist, the man of the people, rails against inequality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD5_jOh9-JI

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Bobby Jindal has an approval rating of 37% according to PPP yet people take his chances semi-seriously.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Joementum posted:

The best way to get up in the morning is to set my TV to MSNBC at about 6:30 and let the rage flow through me.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Brigadier Sockface posted:

So is Jeb Bush taking 2016 seriously? Why else would he do a complete 180 on immigration? Why would he even bother? He should know he doesn't have a chance.
The answer:

National Journal posted:

Former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush’s new book was aimed at nudging a reluctant Republican Party toward reforms that would allow illegal immigrants to live and work without fear of deportation.

But by recommending only legal residency and backing off his past support for citizenship, Bush is throwing cold water over a fledgling deal in the Senate, denting his own reputation as a bold policymaker and stoking speculation that he will run for president in 2016.

None of those things were supposed to happen.

The stunning reversal by one of the Republican Party’s leading champions of immigration reform and Hispanic outreach, at least in part, comes down to a colossal political miscalculation.

When Bush and coauthor Clint Bolick were writing the book during the 2012 presidential campaign, the GOP was veering far to the right. Republican nominee Mitt Romney had staked out a hard-line position against illegal immigration, blasting his primary rivals as pro-amnesty and promoting “self-deportation” for undocumented workers. Bush sent the book to the printer before Christmas - weeks before a handful of Senate Republicans embraced a sweeping overhaul that, like the proposals backed by Bush’s brother, former President George W. Bush, would allow illegal immigrants to earn citizenship.
Long publishing lead times had Bush writing his book last fall, before the election. Between the writing and the publication the GOP shifted hard on immigration, and now instead of being a liberalizer on immigration, Jeb looks like a hard-liner. And now he has to go out on a book tour for this suddenly-toxic policy.

Oops.

Coldwar timewarp
May 8, 2007

Joementum posted:

You could say he is some sort of "compassionate conservative".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FMguru posted:

The answer:
Long publishing lead times had Bush writing his book last fall, before the election. Between the writing and the publication the GOP shifted hard on immigration, and now instead of being a liberalizer on immigration, Jeb looks like a hard-liner. And now he has to go out on a book tour for this suddenly-toxic policy.

Oops.

That's what you get, fatbush, for hitching your wagon to the GOP. I remember how the pigs scrambled after the election, free of any pretense. "We lost because there are too many freeloaders in America! We need our own freeloaders...Catholic freeloaders!" And this is as well-thought out as any GOP strategy from the last ten years.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

FMguru posted:

The answer:

Oops.

You know, I can honestly say I'm surprised he could be that much of a nubcake when it comes to politics. He always came off as a bit more savvy. I bet his camp is hoping people will forget everything previous to this point and just run with it...or that there's enough time between now and election season 2016 spectacular to make that dream come true.

This is sort of amateur night.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TyroneGoldstein posted:

You know, I can honestly say I'm surprised he could be that much of a nubcake when it comes to politics. He always came off as a bit more savvy. I bet his camp is hoping people will forget everything previous to this point and just run with it...or that there's enough time between now and election season 2016 spectacular to make that dream come true.

This is sort of amateur night.

In his defense the GOP/self-identified conservatives are basically adrift and incurring some political equivalent of Brownian motion. There's no way to discern what direction they'll move in one week let alone 6 months.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

The Entire Universe posted:

There's no way to discern what direction they'll move in one week let alone 6 months.

I wonder if this has caused any problems for campaigning yet, like a prominent candidate being forced to pretend that their biggest political achievement doesn't exist.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The second BuzzFeed brews interview with Kirsten Gillibrand will start at 6:30 ET tonight.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Joementum posted:

The second BuzzFeed brews interview with Kirsten Gillibrand will start at 6:30 ET tonight.

The production values for this leave something to be desired.

eta: Gillibrand 2016's unofficial launch begins with a dissertation on why Katniss Everdeen should run for office.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 6, 2013

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

jeffersonlives posted:

Gillibrand 2016's unofficial launch begins with a dissertation on why Katniss Everdeen should run for office.

Well the 14 year old girls who loved the movie will be able to vote for her!

Also, she's actually drinking the beer. Rubio (the first in this series) didn't. And his interview began with a dissertation on 2pac and Pitbull.

eta: She talks very, very quickly. If you talk that fast you're going to inevitably say something you shouldn't.

eta: She's been waiting for months apparently for Obama to keep a promise and invite the women Senators to the White House. drat.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 6, 2013

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Joementum posted:

Well the 14 year old girls who loved the movie will be able to vote for her!

Also, she's actually drinking the beer. Rubio (the first in this series) didn't. And his interview began with a dissertation on 2pac and Pitbull.

eta: She talks very, very quickly. If you talk that fast you're going to inevitably say something you shouldn't.
What kind of beer?

Elite liberal beer, or crazy right wing Coors?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

What kind of beer?

Elite liberal beer, or crazy right wing Coors?

Budweiser, it appears.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Well she accused the interviewer of stealing the beer she was originally drinking, which was something else.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Gillibrand's legislative agenda appears to craftily target the majority of Americans. Potentially a good strategy.

eta: That's the second mention of her achievement on getting healthcare coverage for autistic military children. She's going to keep picking that low hanging fruit until the branch is bare.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 6, 2013

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Joementum posted:

eta: That's the second mention of her achievement on getting healthcare coverage for autistic military children. She's going to keep picking that low hanging fruit until the branch is bare.

She's already the top Not Hillary female prospect in a Democratic Party that's really, really going to want to run a woman candidate on the ticket soon. And she's only 46.

In other words, she's going to be finding a lot of short trees, potentially for a very long time.

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

I've only been half paying attention to this but one thing I can say is that she at least doesn't sound or act like a robot. This is an improvement over a certain other recent presidential candidate.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
The defending big tobacco companies thing though is always going to haunt her in a Democratic primary.

VVV Hillary bellwether?

Brigadier Sockface fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Mar 6, 2013

Dr. Tough
Oct 22, 2007

Alright she's not running, wrap it up.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Brigadier Sockface posted:

The defending big tobacco companies thing though is always going to haunt her in a Democratic primary.

Nah, despite the occasional outcries over your Mary Jo Whites of the world, it's usually only the fringes who attack based on tenuous legal work connections. Nobody really cares at the core and it doesn't make a good ad, it's just errata.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
So really the only news out of this is that Obama promised to host a dinner for the female Senators at the White House and hasn't kept his promise and it's been months. Chapter One Million in the book of Obama's poor relations with the Hill.

But I think it would be hilarious to watch a national campaign based on the agenda Gillibrand outlined tonight. Not that she's wrong on any of it, in fact it's mostly common sense stuff that is ridiculous that it isn't the law already, but you know the right wing media sphere's heads will collectively explode over an agenda based on equal rights and privileges for women.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Joementum posted:

I thought the interviewer was horrible. Gillibrand is very good in front of people and likable but she wasn't asked ONE hard question the entire 40 mins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I thought the interviewer was horrible. Gillibrand is very good in front of people and likable but she wasn't asked ONE hard question the entire 40 mins.

I'm not sure why you thought a casual chat over beers at a bar done up as a Buzzfeed webcast would include "hard questions."

• Locked thread