Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

So you got sick of having torque? :haw:

Just my ADD kicking my thoughts and actions around. We actually downsized our car fleet from GT500-STi-Outback-G8 to GT500-Outback-TSX (taken in part trade for the G8). In addition, I have come to love the fact that I can thrash the TSX to redline all day in every gear and get the same gas mileage as grampa-driving the STi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think you have posted enough about this truck. What're you working on there?

Yea no kidding, I have a 67 and this is the first time Ive seen you post about yours (St Vandal).

St Vandal
Jan 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I don't think you have posted enough about this truck. What're you working on there?

Billy Tully posted:

Yea no kidding, I have a 67 and this is the first time Ive seen you post about yours (St Vandal).

Yea i've lurked but haven't posted much. Mine's a 1968 C10. Bought this truck last summer and had been sitting in my garage since then. Told myself I would get it running and decent shape by this summer so I'm getting the carburetor fixed, getting some body work done and primered soon.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

St Vandal posted:

Yea i've lurked but haven't posted much. Mine's a 1968 C10. Bought this truck last summer and had been sitting in my garage since then. Told myself I would get it running and decent shape by this summer so I'm getting the carburetor fixed, getting some body work done and primered soon.

Nice! Old C10s are the best C10s.

This is a couple years old pic of mine but it totally looks the same right now because I'm a slacker (and poor) and it runs and drives fine.

St Vandal
Jan 13, 2009

Billy Tully posted:

Nice! Old C10s are the best C10s.

This is a couple years old pic of mine but it totally looks the same right now because I'm a slacker (and poor) and it runs and drives fine.

Looks awesome! Everything looks to be in great shape... old C10s > ... I'm also a slacker (and poor) but my brother is now working on his '67 Chevelle so it makes me want to work on my truck. So Hopefully i'll be posting some more photos soon as it begins to change.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

St Vandal posted:

Very nice! I want to get a pickup truck for work and have been looking into older trucks like the C10. This kid in HS had a primer gray C10 with a built 400 small block and it was pretty sweet.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

St Vandal posted:

That's pretty sweet I love me some old pickups, my dad raised me with a '78 F-150 Ranger as his DD and I've been in love ever since.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Not my car, but I changed the oil and wiper blades on my brother's '98 Accord.

He had called me a few days ago saying his oil light was on. I had him describe the light, and quickly realized it was the oil pressure light. When I drained the oil, maybe a half-quart came out. He couldn't remember when his oil was changed last.

I pulled the code as the check engine light was on, and it threw a P1259 VTEC system malfunction. Doing some research (since I'm unfamiliar with VTEC and Hondas in general) it looks like it runs off of oil pressure and the solenoid is cooled by oil, so I think either one (low level or low pressure) could have thrown it.

Amazingly, with fresh oil the car still seemed to drive fine. He was probably driving for at least a week with oil so low he had very little oil pressure.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

They'll do... okay without oil for a short time, but drill it into his head to check it regularly from now on. My sister has the exact same car, had oil burning issues. I told her to check it with every fillup, but she slacked on it. As a result, she snapped, of all things, a camshaft this last Christmas and had to have a *~JDM~* long block dropped in. They're extremely durable motors, but like everything they have a limit.

St Vandal
Jan 13, 2009

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Very nice! I want to get a pickup truck for work and have been looking into older trucks like the C10. This kid in HS had a primer gray C10 with a built 400 small block and it was pretty sweet.

That's a good idea, you should. I wanted to do a flat black but i think im going for a primer red.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

That's pretty sweet I love me some old pickups, my dad raised me with a '78 F-150 Ranger as his DD and I've been in love ever since.

Yea, definitely... Old truck are the best.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

St Vandal posted:

Yea, definitely... Old truck are the best.

gently caress yes they are.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I agree. :stare:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The best touch on that truck by far is the old camper shell, so that the door is flapping along even while the truck is carrying the left front to nearly half track by sheer torque alone.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Mercedes SLK R170 model is prone to rust around the tailgate handle, so I got a nice SLK 200 complete tailgate assembly and stuck it on there.

Mine's an SLK320 V6 model so I had to remove the 200 off the back and was wondering what people think about debadging, I'm not really sure if it's considered lame or if anybody cares

Originally it was SLK 320 now it's just SLK. These are my options

1. take it off completely
2. leave it as it is with the SLK on there
3. stick a V6 badge after it
4. get a replacement 320 badge

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Changed the Oil in my Genesis, got it inspected, then proceeded to replace my secondary cats with free test pipes.

AI opinion: Is it bad, or just silly/retarded to have an H-pipe AND a X-pipe installed on a car at the same time? The test pipes are really one goofy H-pipe.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

What's great about that truck is it's so just such an inspirational thing that you can replace the cat in the "Hang in there, Baby!" motivational poster with a shot of that thing lifted into the air with the front end at a 25* angle to rest of the chassis. I love that truck :allears:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Bloke posted:

Mercedes SLK R170 model is prone to rust around the tailgate handle, so I got a nice SLK 200 complete tailgate assembly and stuck it on there.

Mine's an SLK320 V6 model so I had to remove the 200 off the back and was wondering what people think about debadging, I'm not really sure if it's considered lame or if anybody cares

Originally it was SLK 320 now it's just SLK. These are my options

1. take it off completely
2. leave it as it is with the SLK on there
3. stick a V6 badge after it
4. get a replacement 320 badge

Put a Timbo badge on it :v:

It really doesn't matter. Leave the "SLK" or just remove everything but the three-pointed star, whatever you like the look of the most. The majority of Mercedes-Benzes are debadged anyway.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Speaking of that, yesterday I debadged my Subaru. Then I realized that the paint fading was not going to be fixed by a wash, so I washed and touched up the badges themselves and put them back on. I guess I accomplished something in a roundabout way :shrug:

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
A couple weeks ago I installed a MicroImage (Golden Eagle) intake manifold and Corolla throttle body into my Yaris:

It went into this:

I really need to stop putting money into this car because it's not very fast but it's just so dang fun to drive. That and it gets 30 mpg even when I beat on it. I also bought a seat frame and slider for a Corbeau seat, now I am just waiting for a cheap used seat to drop onto craigslist.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

A couple weeks ago I installed a MicroImage (Golden Eagle) intake manifold and Corolla throttle body into my Yaris:

It went into this:

I really need to stop putting money into this car because it's not very fast but it's just so dang fun to drive. That and it gets 30 mpg even when I beat on it. I also bought a seat frame and slider for a Corbeau seat, now I am just waiting for a cheap used seat to drop onto craigslist.

It would look amazing with some tasteful spacers! Looks like a ton of fun to flog on.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

It actually looks like a bit of fun but I have to ask - why the intake manifold? Is the stock piece actually that restrictive?

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

IOwnCalculus posted:

It actually looks like a bit of fun but I have to ask - why the intake manifold? Is the stock piece actually that restrictive?

Probably made of plastic and horribly restrictive or cramped.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

They're almost all made of plastic these days, I thought it did a better job of keeping the intake from heatsoaking than iron / aluminum intakes did?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Paul Boz_ posted:

Probably made of plastic and horribly restrictive or cramped.

They're usually cheaper, sometimes stronger, are easier to make, are more efficient, and are lighter. There's a problem with them?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Metal looks cooler.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Figured out why my car smelled slightly like burning plastic every time I'd get out.

Plastic bag melted to the exhaust. :suicide:

Amoan
Nov 5, 2009

LIGHTS!:science:
Had a very productive day at school.
2" drop

Wiper and GTI badge removal. Not sure if I want the VR6 to go yet!!

Not pictured is the AEm CAI :heysexy:

Next on the list is legal limit tint and rip out the interior. (it smells of cigarettes and is completely trashed)

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
Picked it up from the dealer for some service. I love the difference in parts and labor.

The air mix door on my 300C was causing the windows to fog something fierce. Turns out you have to pull the entire dash to fix it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
This:

Because of this:

I miss having access to a lift and air tools.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EvilBeard posted:

Picked it up from the dealer for some service. I love the difference in parts and labor.

The air mix door on my 300C was causing the windows to fog something fierce. Turns out you have to pull the entire dash to fix it.

That's what you get for buying a 300C.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

I also debadged my car over the weekend, and learned a very valuable lesson: When using Goo Gone with a microfiber towel, make sure that the towel is white, especially if you have a white car. For if you have a white car and you use a brand new yellow microfiber towel that hasn't been washed yet, the Goo Gone will cause the yellow dye to seep from the towel and embed itself into the clear coat of your car, leaving a rather noticeable yellow stain across your trunk, requiring you to have a friend (who is luckily a professional detailer) spend two hours fixing your mistake.

DropShadow fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 5, 2013

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

IOwnCalculus posted:

Firstly, the stock piece is ugly as poo poo. Geirskogul is correct, metal looks cooler. Here is the stock piece next to the original. I'd be lying if I said I bought the part entirely for performance gain. I know, it's a Yaris, but I couldn't help myself. I'm a sucker for shiny things.

On the other hand, there is some proven power to be made by making the runners a bit longer and increasing the plenum size. The main reason I got this manifold was that it was sized for the 1ZZFE Corolla throttle body, making the upgrade easy. You have to do a bit of work to correctly install the 1ZZ throttle body onto the stock manifold without having a big step for the air to pass over. Here is a picture of the stock 1NZ throttle body (left) next to the 1ZZ throttle body (right).

As for the heatsoak, I also bought the Golden Eagle thermal gasket that puts some space between the head and the manifold. I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but its' there. I've had the car this way for almost 1000 miles now, and it's quite a bit faster than stock but it won't be winning any drag races. It does handle like a champ though.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Mar 5, 2013

St Vandal
Jan 13, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

gently caress yes they are.

Clean!

Didn't expect that. Awesome nonetheless.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Judging by the car type - I'm guessing Missoula?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

So the Allante informed me that the rear center brake light (which is also a jeweled Cadillac emblem) had burned out and that the a/c was 8 oz low of freon.

I discovered the center brake light bulb is really a fog light bulb in the process of changing it.

And the a/c was only 2 oz low. Evidently r134 tricks the computer into thinking it's much too low when it's only a tad too low.

In other news, I managed to get a 32" entry door into the Cruze and shut the trunk. I drove home with my chest on the steering wheel, but good to know it can be done.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

StormDrain posted:

Judging by the car type - I'm guessing Missoula?

Haha, yeah. Although I bought that car when I lived in CA.

Tomorrow's project is to fix the two broken off chassis nuts for the trans crossmember before I put it back together. When I got the car it was like that with a hole cut out for access to a regular nut. Hopefully I can find some M12 or 1/2" rivnuts in town.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
I learned today why children should not be allowed near Cadillacs. My youngest sister, 2, managed to yank off pieces of the door panel on the rear drivers side. I mean, it was a little loose from age, sure, but it was pretty solid. I look back during a red light and to my horror see the ashtray and the panel it's in dangling with little bits of metal trim falling away from the door, and her pulling if from her carseat.... So Gorilla Tape for now. I also replaced a turn signal.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DFW?

Personally I'd rip off the VR6 too.

e: that looks identical to the neighborhood I used to live in.
e2: I just creeped myself out a bit, I recognize that street. :tinfoil:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Mar 5, 2013

Amoan
Nov 5, 2009

LIGHTS!:science:

some texas redneck posted:

DFW?

Personally I'd rip off the VR6 too.

e: that looks identical to the neighborhood I used to live in.
e2: I just creeped myself out a bit, I recognize that street. :tinfoil:

Yes sir I stay in garland. Street starts with an s ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There's a couple of S's in the area I'm thinking of. I was on Westbrook though.