Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Who are the 4 guys on the front of this box?

I think I recognise Mutoh, Hashimoto, and Chono but I can't place the fourth guy

R to L, Mutoh, Misawa, Hash, Chono.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That beats any WWE game cover you care to post. Pure class.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
Ah, thanks. It came to me just after I posted it.

I do love that cover

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Respectively they represented as of mid-2004 (L to R) AJPW (Mutou), NOAH (Misawa), Zero-One (Hashimoto) and NJPW (Chono).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It's a good game too right? A 3D firepro?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Same developer studio, yes, but it was meant to be a succcessor to the Fire Pro Wrestling series (with Fire Pro Wrestling Z to be that series' conclusion in 2003) that was licensed to have pro wrestlers under real names and appearances, i.e. Kenta Kobashi instead of "Lightning Keiji Togashi", Yuji Nagata instead of "The Shootist Yujiro Sakata" and so on. For anyone who's wondering:
King of Colosseum II: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9edNHW2N0Q
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8m99r047bI

KOC2 came out in mid-September 2004, while Fire Pro Wrestling Returns (the return-to-2D) came out in mid-September 2005; the American localization debuted in mid-November 2007 and the European one in mid-February 2008.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Fire Pro Wrestling Returns is legit my favourite wrestling game. It's the only game where I can just put it on CPU vs. CPU and enjoy myself. I also loved the booking mode.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The best fire pro game was the japanese Fire Pro 2 for the GBA (?) with the freaking INSANE booking mode.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

The best fire pro game was the japanese Fire Pro 2 for the GBA (?) with the freaking INSANE booking mode.

Did anyone ever translate that game?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Pretty sure Fire Pro Wrestling Advance 2 came out on the GBA, unless it was completely different. Unlockable Batman and Robin wrestlers.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

KungFu Grip posted:

Pretty sure Fire Pro Wrestling Advance 2 came out on the GBA, unless it was completely different. Unlockable Batman and Robin wrestlers.

That mode was taken out of the US version, probably due to lazy translators.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Isn't the GBA US game the one where The Rock is renamed "The Salesman" Joe Morici or something like that?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't the GBA US game the one where The Rock is renamed "The Salesman" Joe Morici or something like that?
To be fair, if you look at WCW World Tour, Vs The World, and Revenge there's a ton of Puro guys with ridiculous names & gimmicks as well. But yes:

quote:

WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION (APW):

Stone Cold Steve Austin (The Bionic Man Steve Majors)
The Rock (The Salesman Joe Morici)
Undertaker (The Cremator Death Head)
Triple H (Gemini Double Trouble)
Mankind [Showman Style] (The Lastman Omega)
Kane (Crimson Beast Anonomysi.m.)
Shawn Michaels [Showman Style] (The Runner Kleebo)
Big Show (Neo Giant Gigaton Joe)
Ken Shamrock (The Cyborg Kein Harock)
Chris Benoit (The Computer Roots Genoa)
Chris Jericho (Preppy Pepe Pena)
X-Pac (The Crybaby Cole Pena)
The British Bulldog Davey Boy Smith (The Raider Dr. Jones)
Eddy Guerrero (The Mexican Terry Nevelo)
TAKA Michinoku (Gangster WAKA Yukiguni)
Vince McMahon [Showman Style] (Godfather Madman Musci)

WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP WRESTLING (AWG):

Bill Goldberg (Neo Human Diefinger)
Hulk Hogan (Macho Star Axe Duggan)
Ric Flair [Showman Style] (Darkman Killa Kalani)
Sting (The Hornet The Spike)
The Great Muta (Ghost Ninja Buddha Bob)
Kevin Nash (The Assassin The Mauler)
Bret Hart (Blood Scorpion Brad Love)
Rick Steiner (The Bulldog Sgt. Smith)
Scott Steiner (Mr. Handsome Baron Von Aaron)
Randy Savage [Showman Style] (Slim Jim Mr. Mann)
Terry Funk (Wild Bronco Kerry Texan)
Bam Bam Bigelow (The Jackhammer Smasher)
Diamond Dallas Page (Jewel Breaker Karachi Kid)
Mike Awesome (Lethal Weapon Grabby Gussom)
Rey Misterio, Jr. (The Wraith Mystery Man)
Kaz Hayashi (Dragon Soldier Yasu Ohhashi)

:psyduck:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Raider Dr. Jones is loving hilarious

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I wonder if any kids grew up thinking X-Pac and Jericho were brothers since they were Pepe Pena and Cole Pena.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
The many adventures of Kleebo and Diefinger.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There really needs to be a indy guy named Mr.Handsome Baron Von Aaron...I'm surprised there already isn't.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

75% or so. But a lot of the menus can't be/weren't translated so it's just a little difficult to get used to, from what I remember.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
If it wasn't for Goldberg, "The Jackhammer Smasher" would be a great and stupid finisher name.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
In case you missed it, this week's IVP Free download is the best of Jushin "Thunder" Liger Liger Liger

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Holy poo poo, even though I have way too much current wrestling to watch I'm definitely checking that out.

SNARF SNARF SNARF
Apr 23, 2012
i don't understand what you're talking about, but it makes me mad as hell! Listen to me, as I spout gibberish, and know that I. I am MAD. :mad:
Couldn't tell if I should have posted this in the NJPW thread or here, but whatever.

quote:

Having been bought out by Speed Partners, All Japan is now looking to lift itself again and the new owner of the company Nobuo Shiraishi has decided to provoke industry leader New Japan to get attention. Shiraishi said only Nagata and Nakamura are good wrestlers in New Japan which has upset a number of New Japan wrestlers who have lashed out at him on Twitter. Shiraishi seems to like MMA and may order All Japan wrestlers to fight in it, to which Bushiroad’s Kidani replied that he is 10 years out of date with his thoughts and that things have changed. Shiraishi also “threatened” to buy New Japan and Kidani was insulted by the blatant disrespect, saying this means war between New Japan and All Japan.

Interesting... Product competition is always good for business.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Hmm...ancient failed ideas vs. a product that has a direction, knows what it's doing, and is a much, much bigger deal? I feel like we saw this a few years ago.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

All Japan is in the situation it's in now because it tried to throw it's weight at New Japan, back before NJ had the roster they have now. This is going to be disastrous for AJPW.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jesus, does Japan really need a hybrid of Inoki and Bischoff's worst qualities/ideas?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I don't pretend to have a great grasp on the intricacies of the Japanese wrestling industry, but I know the the Japanese feds have been in recent years willing to work with each other much more than major US promotions (Didn't Iizuka and Yano recently steal the GHC tag titles for example?)

Does it seem plausible that this is some sort of work leading to an interpromotional angle, or is the AJPW uy just kinda delusonal?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
We need Inoki in All Japan shooting on New Japan about how they aren't tough enough.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

We need Inoki in All Japan shooting on New Japan about how they aren't tough enough.

If it were ANYONE ELSE, I'd say it was impossible.

But it's Inoki, meaning it's entirely possible.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It's also hilarious that New Japan is reacting on Twitter.

We have Steph, Vince and HHH on Twitter now. Imagine them acting like this.

Just imagine if TNA was bought by like Mark Cuban or something and he claimed the only good wrestlers in the WWE were Cena and Rock, only for Punk and Daniel Bryan to bitch at TNA on Twitter about it.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Thauros posted:

Does it seem plausible that this is some sort of work leading to an interpromotional angle, or is the AJPW uy just kinda delusonal?
I don't think anyone would make an angle involving a new parent company declaring war.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I guess ALL TOGETHER is no longer gonna be a thing!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave thinks it might be an angle, or maybe just a character since some of what has been said publicly doesn't line up.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I've been slowly working my way through every single FMW show I can find. One thing I've always wondered is why there was ever a Mask vs Hair Hayabusa match? Dude loses his mask 2 or 3 times a year and it really doesn't seem to have bothered him before. I assume it's only because of the Hayabusa vs. Mr. Gannosuke feud, where Gannosuke was trying to steal the gimmick of Hayabusa, and not necessarily take his mask, correct?

Lucky Cat
May 1, 2009

I hope this is the right thread for this. (Picture is my hosting.) He did sacrifice himself to ward off the Rapture and save us all. :patriot:

quote:

RANDY SAVAGE'S BROTHER
Come On Obama ...
Make a Macho Man Holiday!

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/03/09/macho-man-randy-savage-wwe-white-house-petition-death-holiday/#ixzz2N77PckjQ
Visit the TMZ Store: http://tmzstore.com

Honoring Macho Man Randy Savage's death with a national holiday is NOT a ludicrous idea -- just ask his brother -- who tells TMZ he is 100% on board with a new White House petition trying to make that happen.

If you didn't know, the folks over at Mandatory.com petitioned the government (thanks to their handy online forum) to make May 20 -- the day Macho died in 2011 -- an official "Day of Remembrance."

The petition reads, "Macho Man Randy Savage was a national treasure loved by everyone ... no matter if you knew him from Slim Jim commercials or his wrestling career, you felt a deep connection with Savage ... keep his legacy alive for future generations to appreciate and enjoy."

Macho's brother, Lanny Poffo, tells TMZ that he couldn't be happier the fans want to honor his bro that way AND he's all for it, adding, "The fans will never let Randy Die. He made it cool to love wrestling."

FYI: The group needs 100,000 by April 4 in order to get Obama & Co. to review it -- so far it's only got 2,425 and one really supportive brother.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2013/03/09/macho-man-randy-savage-wwe-white-house-petition-death-holiday/#ixzz2N77U1caW
Visit the TMZ Store: http://tmzstore.com

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Nope, wrong thread. You'd maybe want the wrestling Web thread or the WWE discussion thread. This is the Japanese Wrestling thread

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Flameingblack posted:

I've been slowly working my way through every single FMW show I can find. One thing I've always wondered is why there was ever a Mask vs Hair Hayabusa match? Dude loses his mask 2 or 3 times a year and it really doesn't seem to have bothered him before. I assume it's only because of the Hayabusa vs. Mr. Gannosuke feud, where Gannosuke was trying to steal the gimmick of Hayabusa, and not necessarily take his mask, correct?
It's one thing to be briefly unmasked, typically on special occasions. And he did work for an extended time without the mask afterwards. But losing the mask itself would mean a lot. Liger's been unmasked several times; a mask match still would have been a big deal.

(SO WHY DIDN'T THEY DO IT?!)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

IVP's facebook posted:

IVPvideos.com is proud to announce that we have worked out a deal with someone in Japan to upload the newest events within days of them airing. The first title is listed for DVD and will be available for download within the hour. NJPW 3/3/2013 anniversary show with Prince Devitt vs. Tanahashi. Look for MANY more new releases listed within days of them occuring. The puro drought is officially over.

:woop: :woop:

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

:hellyeah:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

A single anime tear, pikachu. :japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
This is some good news and at a good price too.