Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

Speaking of bird tantrums, here's what a Sun sounds like when there's a extreme toy battle going on. STUPID BELL!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB-LToQHemw

Now he's super puffy sitting in his pellet cup enjoying some delicious crunchies. The battle has been won.

Sorry for the silhouetteing, the sun sets behind his cage.

We have some rosary beads chillen over Marus cage. And one day she decided to fever the old bite n swing, but Jesus swung around and bonked her back... Such was the end of rosary Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Marshmallow Blue posted:

We have some rosary beads chillen over Marus cage. And one day she decided to fever the old bite n swing, but Jesus swung around and bonked her back... Such was the end of rosary Jesus.

Hahahaa that's so awesome.

Ritz has been screaming up a storm lately. Its beginning to drive me crazy.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Have you guys ever heard of a pet store called Pet Land? One just opened up recently, and they have all the birds in open cages so you can interact with them. It's odd, to say the least. Poor birds are being exposed to every possible human germ, though they do get tons of interaction.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
If it's the same as the chain of stores named Petland, they have some pretty terrible animal practices, including selling dogs/fresh imported reptiles, etc.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Do they have a hand washing policy? I get the paranoia behind some places not wanting the general public to touch the birds, but if you have to wash your hands first and it's made clear you interact at your own risk and you can't punish the birds for bites, it would be fine. I think it's nice that the birds get interaction and people get experience handling birds without the super paranoid and stand-offish attitude some high- end bird places have. This is all separate from my opinions about massive chain pet stores though.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I think I'd rather see a pet store where the birds were allowed to interact with a ton of people than a pet store where they weren't allowed to interact with anybody because ~germs~.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Eejit posted:

Yesssss, most people will never know the joy of preening 5 inches of feather casing off a U2's crest. He had one today that was basically fully-grown but the cuticle hadn't broken and it was super-satisfying. It's basically like popping bubble wrap to relieve stress, if the bubble wrap laid it's head on your arm, snuggled in, and made contented little noises as a way of saying thanks.

That sounds so satisfying, I'm jealous! Ohtori seems to have mostly taken care of his feathers by himself somehow, and Steve WHEEEs every time I so much as brush a pin feather that isn't completely ready to be removed.

Pookah posted:

He's gorgeous and I agree, preening a big feather is just, I don't know, blissful somehow - I think it appeals to our monkeybrain grooming instincts.

And yes, Pookie always looks sort of sinister in photos; she's a lot goofier looking in motion.

Sinister was exactly the word my partner described her as after seeing that photo of her next to Steve!

Doctor_Blueninja
Oct 23, 2012

Just some guy with a college doctorate and a passing knowledge of what it means to be a ninja.

Agent355 posted:

I think I'd rather see a pet store where the birds were allowed to interact with a ton of people than a pet store where they weren't allowed to interact with anybody because ~germs~.

I'd have to second this. So long as the store owners enforce proper hand-washing procedures and supervise their customers as they hold the birds, then everything should be alright.

Hell, that was how I figured I wanted my bird. I went into the store where I bought her from, they let me handle her, and I found that I enjoyed it enough to want to own a bird. Without that interaction, I can't say that I'd be the bird owner that I am today.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

unprofessional posted:

If it's the same as the chain of stores named Petland, they have some pretty terrible animal practices, including selling dogs/fresh imported reptiles, etc.

It's definitely a US chain store. There really weren't any rules for interacting with the birds, though. Just some employees hanging around, with an automatic purell dispenser nearby.

The birds were remarkably well-behaved though. The Cockatoo was super friendly and desperately wanted a head scratch, which I obliged, and one of the larger Conures wanted to investigate my hand (very gently) with his beak.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

One of our stores hosted this amazing umbrella cockatoo for a year. Her temperament (post-puberty, even) was gentle and patient. A lot of groups hosting folks with special needs (learning disabilities, the elderly) would come to our store to interact and cuddle with her. Her favorite visitor was a veteran from Vietnam. She'd sit with him on his wheelchair for hours and just chatter away with him, presumably talking about her day and asking him about his own. It was really, really wonderful being able to share our love of birds with people who might otherwise not be able to handle such strong-willed animals. :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Tonight was a good night.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Battle Pigeon posted:

The best thing though is taking him in the shower when he doesn't want one. He climbs up from your hand to your shoulder away from the water, and then very loudly and rapidly starts bitching and squeaking into your ear while biting it and hitting your shoulder with his beak. It's hilarious but due to the nature of the situation a bit difficult to record. :v:

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-white-edition Just saying.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Scout helping me read HMS Surprise

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I have a waterproof camcorder, I was referring to trying to film without getting goon nudity in the shots. :v:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

mikerock posted:

Scout helping me read HMS Surprise

gcc.jpg

Not-quite-ninja edit: Everything a GCC does is Clippy from Microsoft Word incarnate. I SEE YOU'RE READING A BOOK, WOULD YOU LIKE A CONURE TO HELP YOU WITH THAT? :haw:

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 4, 2013

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Iro won't sleep. She just cries and bitches and squawks. She does this weird whistle cry. I don't know how else to describe it but it sounds like conure tears.

I took away her rope toy the other day. Her behaviour has improved massively. I wonder if this whining has anything to do with it?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Alrighty folks,Ive lurked this whole thread, And even posted a bit. But now its time to reveal... MARU the Cockatiel. Named after the internet cat that goes in boxes (thanks to the fiance...)

She loves the Camera

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

uglynoodles posted:

Iro won't sleep. She just cries and bitches and squawks. She does this weird whistle cry. I don't know how else to describe it but it sounds like conure tears.

I took away her rope toy the other day. Her behaviour has improved massively. I wonder if this whining has anything to do with it?

Probably. Give it a few days, she is a young bird so let her tire herself out and get used to her cage without the masturbation rope in it.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

uglynoodles posted:

She will sleep eventually, she has no other option but to learn and get used to it. Maybe she's just upset at her routine/life setup changing?

It's been only three days, if I remember correctly, since removing Ohtori's hut permanently and the first night he was still going at 4am, second he calmed after about two hours, and now he's just moving around a lot but mostly quiet. However, I heard him chewing on the bars, and found this morning holes in the cage cover for the first time. I guess that's how he's dealing with the loss of his hut.

Not really any notable behaviour change yet for him though.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We have started extending Scout's bedtime to about 10:00. Lights still go out at 8:30 but we hang out and cuddle with her. She has been going right to sleep since we started doing this.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

She will sleep eventually, she has no other option but to learn and get used to it. Maybe she's just upset at her routine/life setup changing?

It's been only three days, if I remember correctly, since removing Ohtori's hut permanently and the first night he was still going at 4am, second he calmed after about two hours, and now he's just moving around a lot but mostly quiet. However, I heard him chewing on the bars, and found this morning holes in the cage cover for the first time. I guess that's how he's dealing with the loss of his hut.

Not really any notable behaviour change yet for him though.

Meh, Teeka rips up his cover and his cage bars. We have like 5 of them in the garage for when he inevitably chews through another one (that he may or may not be sitting on at the time). Seems like pretty normal bird stuff. They are engines of destruction, take away their sexual outlets and it will only further fuel the fires of annihilation burning within them.

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Alrighty folks,Ive lurked this whole thread, And even posted a bit. But now its time to reveal... MARU the Cockatiel. Named after the internet cat that goes in boxes (thanks to the fiance...)

She loves the Camera

I believe Maru disagrees with your assessment. That's a good looking 'tiel though!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
That's just her givin kisses to the lense. I was trying to take a picture of her eating millet from outside the cage (we put a scary, tiny foraging basket with a bell next to the millet to try to get her to go near it), but once she saw the camera she scooted up to the top of her cage for a photoshoot.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Battle Pigeon posted:

I have a waterproof camcorder, I was referring to trying to film without getting goon nudity in the shots. :v:

Go big or go home. :colbert: (Also, bathing suit.)

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

This is what I get for trying to play stompy robots at home.

And he likes to wark into the mic when I talk. :cripes:

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Mar 5, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
From tonight's 'chill out and watch hockey' session.

Zombie Hannah demands head scratches

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Wizard of Smart posted:

Just wait til he chews through the cord :argh:

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010

(edit to change image size)

We had true sun for the first time in weeks yesterday. Zippy's like a cat when it comes to sunbeams, except she expresses her joy through regurgitating food.

Dawww.

Lenswork fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 5, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I really like how in the last two pages, most of PI's birds had their photos presented :3:

Also, I've got this growth, should I get it checked out?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I'm so jealous of all the big bird pictures in this thread. I demand more of them.

One day I'll get a large parrot but for now I'm happy with the dynamic duo of cockatiel and budgie.

Blue the budgies was being super sweet today. He was cuddled up with my neck and turned into a little marshmallow. He doesn't really put his head down for scratches he just closer and closer to you while fluffed up until you get the idea.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Chiyo's still being moody and protective over her nest, so I've taken to just picking her up and delivering corporal punishment (snuggling). I moosh her into my face and deliver sweet little kisses as she squirms and whines MOM STOP IT YOU'RE EMBARRASSING ME. Good. :colbert:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Wizard of Smart posted:

Can't keep a good SQUAWK down! You should be ashamed for trying to suppress a noble bird warrior :colbert:

Alternatively: "Oh we're talking now? OK WE'RE TALKING NOW!" :derptiel:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

DarkHorse posted:

Can't keep a good SQUAWK down! You should be ashamed for trying to suppress a noble bird warrior :colbert:

Alternatively: "Oh we're talking now? OK WE'RE TALKING NOW!" :derptiel:

So does that chassis have ECM or what.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Pet Island > Bird Crazies Online (PYF Parrit, Don't J4Bird)

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I've finally managed to convince my lovebirds that they can eat millet from my hand, but they're still extremely wary of me. If I keep this up, will they eventually become comfortable enough to let me pet them and teach step up? At it stands, they still retreat to the corner every time I open the cage door, and they have to slowly coaxed into letting me feed them millet. I can't imagine putting my fingers or even a stick into their stomach gently to teach them step up because the minute my fingers make contact, they go flying all over the place (I tried once but haven't since, because it seemed to scare them too much). I know that I'll have a harder time taming them as they're a pair, but at least I'm making progress.\

I'd love to tame them enough to let them come outside, but the last thing I need is them flying all over the place. Toweling them to transfer them from the smaller cage to the one they're staying in now was not a fun experience.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004
Does anyone have any pointers or tips on how to get rid of an unwanted pet bird? The situation is that my brother, when he was in highschool taking animal science classes and planning on becoming a veterinarian, somehow convinced my mother to purchase a bird for him as a pet. The first bird that was purchased is an African Grey Parrot which is actually a fantastic bird and fortunately not the focus of this post. Unfortunately the African Grey decided to cling on to my mother instead of my brother, so he bitched and moaned enough so that a few years after purchasing the African Grey, she bought another bird for him. The second one is a Goffin Cockatoo, they were both purchased as babies or very young, I'm not sure how bird buying works exactly but I know the birds were very young. This all happened about 10 years ago, so the African Grey is at least 10 years old and the Goffin Cockatoo is probably around 8 years old right now.

The problem is that soon after purchasing the second bird, my brother lost interest in birds/becoming a veterinarian/etc and as such, the Goffin Cockatoo was never really cared for as much as it should have been and it remains that way to this day. At this point my mother is taking care of both birds and they both live with her, but the Goffin Cockatoo is becoming too much to handle. It has terrible behavioral issues, plucks its own flight feathers out so it cannot fly, plucks other feathers out constantly, constant squawking(which her neighbors have complained about before, she lives in an apartment) and she can't even really handle the bird. The bird refuses to step up onto anyones fingers/hands, bites you if you try(has made my mother bleed dozens of times just trying to do simple stuff like get it into the cage at night).

Now I know that none of this is the birds fault, we purchased birds without ever really knowing what was involved in taking care of them and keeping them healthy and happy. What I would like to know is if there is anything I can do to get this bird into someone elses hands who can properly train and take care of the bird so that it can hopefully live a much happier life? As I mentioned, my mom is currently attempting to take care of both of the birds but she is older and two birds is just too much for her to handle. I have spoken to my brother about the birds and he said that when my mother passes away, he plans on taking the African Grey since that bird is fantastic and he really loves it, but he does not like or want to take the Goffin Cockatoo. I don't want to wait 5 or 10 or however many years until my mother passes away and then try to find a home for the bird at the last minute if we could do it sooner which would make her life much easier and the birds life much better.

Is there anything that I can do to try and help out this situation? I definitely will not be taking the bird into my home in the event that my mother passes, I never cared much for birds as pets and definitely not one in this condition. Do people/groups adopt or rescue large birds? Should I try putting up an ad on craigslist? I would really prefer to not go the craigslist route honestly because the bird already has issues and I would hate to put the bird into the hands of yet another person who does not/can not take care of it properly.

Sorry if this post is all over the place, I'm pretty lost on the whole situation.

Edit: It appears the type of bird is actually Goffin Cockatoo, not Gulfan, fixed those misspellings. Another question I have, if I was to find a place to take in the Goffin Cockatoo, how would that affect the African Grey? Their cages are right next to each other and as far as I know, they actually kind of like each other. Will the African Grey possibly become depressed or sad and start plucking its feathers or anything like that?

100% Dundee fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Mar 6, 2013

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Find a parrot or cockatoo rescue near where you live and see what their policy is on getting the bird to them.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

People totally rescue birds, especially bigger birds and African Greys. Check with any local pet stores (not the chains, but dedicated bird stores) and exotic animal vets.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
How the gray is going to react to the goffins being placed is going to depend solely on the gray, unfortunately. Some birds take it really well, others have a complete break down over it. If it's an adult (over 5 years) and hasn't started plucking it's certainly less likely to, but that's no real guarantee. On the other hand, many birds take sudden disappearances fairly well (ie, the seem to write the flock member off and immediately move on with their lives). Try not to disrupt the gray's life too much, keep the routine completely normal and do not act like anything is different and it should adjust quicker to the disappearance of its buddy. Maybe get it some extra toys to distract him for the first week.

The goffins does need an improvement in its situation, which in this case means someone who can handle it and work with it to improve its behavior problems. If your family can't do it, that's perfectly fine. There are many exotic bird rescues that can take it. Be careful though, some are little better than hoarders. Get references and follow up with them, check out the premises and ask what their intake and adoption process is and whether the bird will receive behavioral and vet treatment while there.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If that Grey is like mine he probably gives no fucks. Man, I feel bad for that cockatoo. They are probably the most sensitive parrots I've seen. It doesn't take much neglect for them to go nuts. I hope you can find someone locally to take care of it.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Poor cockatoo. If you want, you could post a location-general or specific-and someone might be able to recommend you a specific rescue.

Each morning I put a few drops of water on the shelf over the sink in the bathroom, for Steve who hangs out there while I get ready. He likes that and drinks from it, but one day he managed to taste some of my saline solution when I was putting in my contacts, and he went crazy for it-every day now, he runs over when he sees the contact lens pot in the hope of getting some sweet, sweet solution. However, I hide it behind the bottles, so he's blocked from getting there on the shelf, and can't quite lean around to reach it. So today, I give him his usual puddle to drink from, and put my contacts in. As I'm reaching up to put the contact lens pot back behind the bottles, he sees it and runs over as usual-right through the puddle, and goes sliding straight off the shelf. :derptiel:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Battle Pigeon posted:

Poor cockatoo. If you want, you could post a location-general or specific-and someone might be able to recommend you a specific rescue.

I was going to suggest the same thing. Hell, if you're close by I might even consider helping out with the Goffin. I do know some good places near me though, so yeah post that.