Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Koramei posted:

Huh, I always thought the connection was more firm than that. I don't suppose you (or anybody that knows about them) feel like doing a write up on the Scythians do you? That whole region is fairly neglected in general history.

No, you're right, I didn't mean to write it like that. I should clarify: the Scythians and Sarmatians were closely related, what I mean is that our knowledge of the area is a bit shoddy, so the relationship between these two and the other peoples that might've fallen under the Scythian banner isn't clear. Essentially, first you had the Scythians, then the Sarmatians (a sub-tribe of sorts) took over, but the difference between the two isn't always obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

my dad posted:

Since the Divine Comedy is essentially medieval fanfiction - self-insert, perfect yet distant love interest, super-awesome popular character that guides the self-insert, coopted bits of everything cool the author read, and numerous jabs at everyone the author dislikes included - I'm pretty sure that it doesn't count.

True enough, but Christianity did adopt a ton of pagan stuff as it spread. It's usually explained as incorporating local gods in order to make conversion easier. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that reason but for whatever the reason, many of the festivals and the saints and such are straight up lifted from the various pre-Christian faiths around Europe. And there has always been debate on whether Christians actually worship a single god or two gods or a pantheon with one at the head or whatever the gently caress. At the beginning the debate was quite intense, presumably because Christianity was new and the idea of following multiple gods was familiar.

The Old Testament does straight up say that there are many gods but the Jews should only be worshiping ME because I am the best god, which is a remnant of that transition. The break between polytheism and monotheism isn't a clean one. You also get to blow people's minds when you tell them Hinduism is (essentially) monotheistic.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

You also get to blow people's minds when you tell them Hinduism is (essentially) monotheistic.
As someone who knows next-to-nothing about Hinduism, I'd really like you to elaborate on that statement.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Azathoth posted:

As someone who knows next-to-nothing about Hinduism, I'd really like you to elaborate on that statement.

I'm not an expert and there are multiple traditions/sects/whatever, but essentially in Hinduism there is a single god, Brahman. All the gods we know like Vishnu or Shiva are aspects of Brahman, but are not themselves gods. So it is worship of a single god through various forms. Roman gods did it too, there's Jupiter Feretrius and Jupiter Optimus Maximus and Jupiter Stator and so on, it's all Jupiter but different aspects for different uses. Or Father/Son/Holy Ghost, for a familiar example.

Again, not at all a Hinduism expert but this is my understanding of it from my one class like seven years ago. :v:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
There's a bunch of different Hindu traditions, but of the big four only one isn't monotheist. They all have different ones as the main god, that's one of the main differences. Vishnu, Shiva and Shakti, namely. Smartism is a bit more tangled, and that's the one where common Western notions of Hinduism come from. I think you could argue that it's monotheistic too, and everything leads to Brahman or w/e.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Grand Fromage posted:

True enough, but Christianity did adopt a ton of pagan stuff as it spread. It's usually explained as incorporating local gods in order to make conversion easier. I'm not sure how much truth there is to that reason but for whatever the reason, many of the festivals and the saints and such are straight up lifted from the various pre-Christian faiths around Europe. And there has always been debate on whether Christians actually worship a single god or two gods or a pantheon with one at the head or whatever the gently caress. At the beginning the debate was quite intense, presumably because Christianity was new and the idea of following multiple gods was familiar.

The Old Testament does straight up say that there are many gods but the Jews should only be worshiping ME because I am the best god, which is a remnant of that transition. The break between polytheism and monotheism isn't a clean one. You also get to blow people's minds when you tell them Hinduism is (essentially) monotheistic.

The Babylonian captivity is what finally shook the Hebrews free from their polytheism. They never really figured it out beforehand, but were quite changed when they came back. Some exposure to Zoroastrianism probably helped.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

The Babylonian captivity is what finally shook the Hebrews free from their polytheism. They never really figured it out beforehand, but were quite changed when they came back. Some exposure to Zoroastrianism probably helped.

Or, to put it in less inane terms, a monotheist faction within Israeli court took control of its religious policies during the Babylonian captivity.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Ras Het posted:

Or, to put it in less inane terms, a monotheist faction within Israeli court took control of its religious policies during the Babylonian captivity.

However you want to put it. The Judaism that came back from Babylon was quite different than the one that went.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Morol posted:

Read this book, it doesn't really go into the Celts, but it explains the origin and spread of the Indo-European languages.
http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Wheel-Language-Bronze-Age-Eurasian/dp/069114818X

Looks like there's a Kindle edition, so I'm adding it to my list, thanks.

Really appreciating the posts from everyone about this stuff. I'm going to do some looking into things... And will be back with more to share/ask.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ras Het posted:

Isn't "Israeli" a term for people who live in the modern state of Israel and "Israelite" the name for the ancient people? I'm sorry if I'm wrong or don't know the current terminology. Not even passive-aggressively sorry, real sorry! I don't like anyone drawing parallels between the Biblical state of Israel and it's current monstrous semi-descendant, even casual parallels. If that's the current wording though, that's the wording.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

cheerfullydrab posted:

I don't like anyone drawing parallels between the Biblical state of Israel and it's current monstrous semi-descendant, even casual parallels.

I find it funny that you consider the contemporary Israel as "monstrous" compared to the Biblical kingdom that would slaughter entire cities and enslave the survivors...

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Biblical Israel was also monstrous. They can both be bad. I guess the main difference is that humans have come up with the concept of "crimes against humanity" in the interim.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I was mainly upset at using the same term for the current inhabitants of that area and the people who lived there 3000 years ago. I feel that they should be differentiated.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Without commenting on the relative merit of your position, let's keep modern politics in D&D, please.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Agreed, not down this rabbit hole. Let us assume all references to Israel or Jews is the ancient Israel and people, not anything that's happening these days.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

cheerfullydrab posted:

Biblical Israel was also monstrous. They can both be bad. I guess the main difference is that humans have come up with the concept of "crimes against humanity" in the interim.

Historically pretty much every society was monstrous, for the the reason you mentioned at the end. It's really hard to judge ancient societies by modern morals, since you are asking people to make moral leaps 2000 years or more into the future of human development. Nearly all of them were some combination of what we would call racist, sexist, violent, genocidal, oppressive, etc... etc...

Even hunter gatherer societies are tremendously violent by our standards to those outside the band or tribe.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Grand Fromage posted:

Agreed, not down this rabbit hole. Let us assume all references to Israel or Jews is the ancient Israel and people, not anything that's happening these days.

Now with modhat!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Now with modhat!

Oh no I backseated. :ohdear:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Grand Fromage posted:

Oh no I backseated. :ohdear:

No silly I was saying I'm A Mod And I Approve Of This Message. In case anyone didn't listen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eggplant Wizard posted:

No silly I was saying I'm A Mod And I Approve Of This Message. In case anyone didn't listen.

Oh god I'm gonna get abducted in the middle of the night and taken to Something Awful Incorporated's dungeon. Guys! Help!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*grabs Grand Fromage's Toga and tears it down*

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Koramei posted:

It took a very long time to transition, didn't it? I thought that even Medieval Christianity (and I guess even to this day to an extent) was more monolatry than actual monotheism; what really are the archangels but minor deities themselves, not to mention coopted mythologies in the Divine Comedy and so on.
It was pretty common to pray to various saints as well, depending on what they were the patron saint of.

E: I say was, but I'm honestly not that familiar with modern religious practices for all the variations of Christianity, I'm pretty sure it's not done by Protestants though, but it could still be an active practice depending on what type of Christian you are.

Smart Car fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Mar 5, 2013

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So what's the most distant place we can certainly know that a Roman (as in citizen of the Roman Republic/Empire) has ever been to? East Rome obviously counts!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

DarkCrawler posted:

So what's the most distant place we can certainly know that a Roman (as in citizen of the Roman Republic/Empire) has ever been to? East Rome obviously counts!

Rome sent multiple envoy's to China, I think in the area that is now Southeast Asia and not China proper. Theoretically there is no reason they could not have gone further north to Korea as Japan, but there is no record of this ever happening so its all speculation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

West coast of India for sure, there was at least one permanent Roman settlement and two trade posts that may have been permanent, but were at least occasionally visited. I am personally sure that Luoyang, China (the court of the Han emperor at the time, I believe) would be the furthest place Romans definitely went, but there is some debate on the subject. I think most would say it happened, there are numerous records of Roman envoys arriving in the Chinese court. There's a reasonable chance someone went all the way south along the east coast of Africa, but Luoyang is further I think. I doubt anyone went to Korea or Japan but it's possible. There's no evidence of it, Roman goods have been found in both but were likely just trades. There is also solid proof of Roman trade routes around the Malay Peninsula up to China but unclear if those were Roman manned ships.

The envoys to China probably sailed so the east coast of China somewhere would be the furthest point.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive

WoodrowSkillson posted:

*grabs Grand Fromage's Toga and tears it down*

Oh bravo, tell me you meant that in the Manius Aquillius sense.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Tilius Cimber actually, the guy who initiated the attack on Caesar.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
Manius Aquillius was a patrician legate of Gaius Marius in the battles against the Germans, among other accomplishments. In later life, he was tried for some sort of bullshit or other. Marcus Antonius Crassus Orator conducted the defense, and completed his oration by marching up to the witness stand and ripping Aquillius’ toga off.

Aquillius stood naked before the jury, his chest covered in scars from German weapons. The jury voted unanimously for acquittal.

(Years later some punk tried the same trick, but Cicero remembered the stories and remarked that the new lawyer wasn’t Crassus Orator, and that the new defendant’s scars were very small and likely from womens’ teeth.)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

physeter posted:

(Years later some punk tried the same trick, but Cicero remembered the stories and remarked that the new lawyer wasn’t Crassus Orator, and that the new defendant’s scars were very small and likely from womens’ teeth.)

"Sir, I knew Marcus Antonius, and you sir are no Marcus Antonius."

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I had a professor who compared Roman trials to be almost like rap battles at times.

General Panic
Jan 28, 2012
AN ERORIST AGENT

canuckanese posted:

I had a professor who compared Roman trials to be almost like rap battles at times.

I think the analysis of the evidence did often come second best to the sickness of your advocate's burns on the other side and the noisiness of the crowd you brought with you. Which sounds very like a rap battle. And they were also a form of popular entertainment, although to be honest trials nowadays can sometimes be that too.

In fairness, the ones we know most about are the ones that involved politicians or other well-known people. They probably didn't roll out the big guns quite so much when Lucius was suing Sextus because a loose tile from Sextus' roof hit him on the head.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

canuckanese posted:

Vos, quod milia multa basiorum legistis, male me marem putatis? Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo (bitch).

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Jeoh posted:

Vos, quod milia multa basiorum legistis, male me marem putatis? Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo (bitch).

Honestly the first line of that poem is quite possibly filthier than anything I've heard in a modern rap song.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Columbia University Press is having a 50% sale: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3536848 They have a bunch of books on ancient stuff. Look under History > Classical History. They have other non-Mediterranean ancient history stuff too.

:swoon:

(x-posting elsewhere for all and sundry)

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

The first Romans to have reached China were firmly recorded in the Han Annals. They claimed to have been sent by Marcus Aurelius, but were more likely enterprising merchants using the name of the emperor to gain favor in the Han court. The gifts they presented to the Han emperor were fairly common trade goods, like tortoise shell. Other Romans reached China in time, but there is no evidence they were sent as an official embassy. Likewise, the Chinese never reached Rome, even though they tried. They got as far as Nabataea, probably, before turning around. Roman merchants likely reached other parts of southeast Asia, and certainly a great many reached India. Trade in the Indian Ocean exploded after 27 B.C., paricularly after the Augustan campaigns into Ethiopia and Arabia. A poo poo ton of coin hoards dating to the Augustan and early Julio-Claudian eras have been found throughout India.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Ras Het posted:

There's a bunch of different Hindu traditions, but of the big four only one isn't monotheist. They all have different ones as the main god, that's one of the main differences. Vishnu, Shiva and Shakti, namely. Smartism is a bit more tangled, and that's the one where common Western notions of Hinduism come from. I think you could argue that it's monotheistic too, and everything leads to Brahman or w/e.

I was reading a book by a low caste Indian titled Why I am not a Hindu and it really confused Indian religion for me. He claimed he had never heard of Vishnu, Shiva, Shakti, or Brahma until he entered high school and was subjected to education by Brahmins, and that his own caste had an entirely different pantheon of gods I had never heard of. It wasn't really written for a western audience and had an anti-Brahmin political slant so I'm not sure how accurately it portraid religious differences between varnas but it was really opened my eyes to the huge gulfs between Hindu denominations.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

canuckanese posted:

Honestly the first line of that poem is quite possibly filthier than anything I've heard in a modern rap song.

Just checked, and there are loads of products named pedicare. :mmmhmm:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Squalid posted:

I was reading a book by a low caste Indian titled Why I am not a Hindu and it really confused Indian religion for me. He claimed he had never heard of Vishnu, Shiva, Shakti, or Brahma until he entered high school and was subjected to education by Brahmins, and that his own caste had an entirely different pantheon of gods I had never heard of. It wasn't really written for a western audience and had an anti-Brahmin political slant so I'm not sure how accurately it portraid religious differences between varnas but it was really opened my eyes to the huge gulfs between Hindu denominations.

If anyone knows about Indian theology, I'd love to hear the deal with this.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Grand Prize Winner posted:

If anyone knows about Indian theology, I'd love to hear the deal with this.

Part of it is probably the fact that India is a ridiculously diverse place with serious regional differentiation. I mean, even now there are hundreds of languages there. Hundreds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Part of it is probably the fact that India is a ridiculously diverse place with serious regional differentiation. I mean, even now there are hundreds of languages there. Hundreds.

This actually brings up something that's always interested me. Both Europe and India are both really diverse and heterogenous, and whilst (sub)continent-spanning Empires did arise on both subcontinents, they never really took. Meanwhile China became very homogenous and its subcontinent-spanning Empires lasted just as long as its periods of division, and after the Sui+Tang at least, and for some people, probably during the Han Dynasty, a unified China ended up being considered the norm, with the periods of division as complete abberations.

I wonder what it was, exactly, that caused China to become so readily unified - it was just as large, if not a larger area than India or Europe, and still rather diverse - there are 56 recognized ethnic minorities in the PRC today, and a further 15 unrecognized minorities according to Wikipedia, but unlike the Roman or Mauryan Empires, Chinese Civilization was able to put itself back together fairly readily, and I'm not quite sure why.