Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Is there an AI option in Wrestling Revolution or do you have to control your chap in every match?

I'm aware I'm in a very small niche but I'd be more interested in a manager type game and watching the madcap match antics play out due to my inherent rubbishness at controlling the character during these type of games. It sounds like with the story/career events there's plenty to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Fazana posted:

Is there an AI option in Wrestling Revolution or do you have to control your chap in every match?

I noticed in the controls options you could pick "touchscreen", "virtual pad" or "AI", maybe AI lets the CPU do the matches?

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I also bought Wrestling Revolution, seems like a pretty good game, but I looked at the guys website and I was just wondering, is he a crazy person?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yes, he is. The Jesus game is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen-- please do yourself a favor and check it out.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Speaking off mute switches, is the mute for music in Puzzle Craft not working any more for anyone else?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Anyone got a review for Clash of Clans? IO see it's very very popular, but would like a goon to tell me if it's Farmville with a combat skin attached.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

goferchan posted:

Yes, he is. The Jesus game is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen-- please do yourself a favor and check it out.

Oh my god. Wrestling Revolution is the most amazing game ever. I just set a chair on fire and bashed in the referee's head so that my buddies could continue to stomp the poo poo out of my opponent.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It kind of is, it's disappointing -- I wouldn't even mind so much if it were pay-to-win, I could just play with friends and ignore the excessive stuff, but unless I was really missing something when I tried it out it's 99% clicky timer treadmill with almost no tactical or strategic element.

Edit:

Davincie posted:

Speaking off mute switches, is the mute for music in Puzzle Craft not working any more for anyone else?

I eventually got it to work by hammering it over and over and exiting and re-entering the options menu, but yeah, it's definitely not working as intended.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Funso Banjo posted:

Anyone got a review for Clash of Clans? IO see it's very very popular, but would like a goon to tell me if it's Farmville with a combat skin attached.

It is a very, very slick Farmville-alike with somewhat strategic combat skin attached. After a certain point you are still watching timers ticking down.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

goferchan posted:

The Lp where the op figured out how to replace all the textures was amazing.

http://lparchive.org/The-You-Testament/

And the best part is MDickie is smug as gently caress. Here is a video of someone reading from his autobiography

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SJgb2WvxYxY

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

triplexpac posted:

I noticed in the controls options you could pick "touchscreen", "virtual pad" or "AI", maybe AI lets the CPU do the matches?

Thanks, I took the risk from that and sure enough that's exactly what it does. This game is hilarious.

I have been signed up by a Canadian federation and the first thing the boss made me do was get a red afro style haircut and wear a Maple leaf flagged outfit to the ring. What a sellout! I won a tag-team match, the opponent told the ref he was a disgrace whereupon the ref started beating the poo poo out of him.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Rexicon1 posted:

I've noticed my trend with iOS gaming lately has turn into a tolerance test for most games until they become obtrusive and I'm unable to play. I guess I appreciate f2p when a game is sort of decent but I despise it when the game is actually good and I want to invest time in it. That's why real racing got frustrating for me. I actually really enjoyed the gameplay. I play pixel people and don't mind iap because its barely a game and my mind deactivates while I play it.

I think the issue is the gameplay is okay but not that good, so when it suddenly shifts from an alright distraction to a grind we need to pay our way through it's so much easier to drop it and find something else. They just don't build in that time sink investment for us? (well me at least)

Spoiled for choice I think.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

So someone school me on wrestling revolution. I keep getting to the point where my opponent has no stamina and no health but I can't pin them - they always break on 1. Do I need to use submission holds or something?

edit: I guess just what is the yellow bar in general would be helpful too. And how do I break my opponent's submission holds?

Sidpret fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Mar 4, 2013

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Wrestling Revolution is a hilariously fun game. I played a little of the game on PC but now that I can sit here at my desk at work and play it on my iPad I plan on playing so much more of it. I just hope that eventually we have a way to resize the buttons on the iPad, they are really ridiculously huge.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I love how the ref enforces a rope break by attacking the offending wrestler, every time. Also the last few matches the ref has left the ring, then come back in and put the steel steps down somewhere. That's entrapment!

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Ahahaha, so a wrestler just died from his injuries and I got to do a special match where his casket was right there next to the ring. :allears:

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

This game confuses me so much. Just went through a long match where I pinned him multiple times, had him in many different submission holds, and then he got me in a pin and without a count it just suddenly announced that I lost. Do I not understand the rules of wrestling or something.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Most of your questions about Wrestling Revolution can be answered by "MDickie is not a good game developer."

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
Unrelated - if anyone wants to snag the Jones On Fire soundtrack, we just released it on Bandcamp.

SilverMike posted:

Most of your questions about Wrestling Revolution can be answered by "MDickie is not a good game developer."
Dude, you can set fire to things at will, and battle with the caskets of your victims still on-stage. He's an EXCELLENT game developer, clearly.

I normally hate wrestling games, but the gameplay videos + stories in here have me thinking I'm buying it at lunch, no question.

Sidpret
Jun 17, 2004

Shalinor posted:

Unrelated - if anyone wants to snag the Jones On Fire soundtrack, we just released it on Bandcamp.

Dude, you can set fire to things at will, and battle with the caskets of your victims still on-stage. He's an EXCELLENT game developer, clearly.

I normally hate wrestling games, but the gameplay videos + stories in here have me thinking I'm buying it at lunch, no question.

While I agree in theory, you might feel differently after the 3,000th time your wrestler gets up and then suddenly falls down for no reason. All the cool features would be a lot cooler if you could use them in any reliable way.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

goferchan posted:

The what now? No results for "the Jesus game" in the App Store -- my curiosity is piqued.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

nutranurse posted:

Ahahaha, so a wrestler just died from his injuries and I got to do a special match where his casket was right there next to the ring. :allears:

:stare: Holy poo poo that's one hell of a selling point. If it's free, i'm in. If it's pay I might cave in anyway.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

randyest posted:

The what now? No results for "the Jesus game" in the App Store -- my curiosity is piqued.

Oh, it's PC only, he's been making games for years and years -- it's called The You Testament and it's an open-world RPG where you control the thirteenth apostle of Jesus Christ.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

:stare: Holy poo poo that's one hell of a selling point. If it's free, i'm in. If it's pay I might cave in anyway.

Fair warning: the controls do take a bit getting used to. Also I have no idea how to do reversals/break holds/anything really. Most of the time I'm just rapidly tapping/swiping away while cursing.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

nutranurse posted:

Fair warning: the controls do take a bit getting used to. Also I have no idea how to do reversals/break holds/anything really. Most of the time I'm just rapidly tapping/swiping away while cursing.

Are you playing with the touch controls? I tried that for a match and had no idea what I was doing, switched to buttons and having a much easier time.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

io_burn posted:

Well, if you were excited about Space Hulk, it might be time to not be so excited anymore-

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/01/space-hulk-preview/

RPS: Have you taken any inspiration from the old EA DOS games at all?

Thomas Hentschel Lund: They are a completely different thing, but we are definitely trying to take a few of the menu things and some of the ideas that they that, and trying to put that in as a homage. We don’t want to try to reproduce what EA did in the old days. They essentially took a turn-based game and made it into a more action, real-time thing. We’re taking the boardgame and making a turn-based game with some action elements. I’d much more compare it to XCOM than I would the old EA games.

OH WELL....

(I loved that game)

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

loudog999 posted:

Are you playing with the touch controls? I tried that for a match and had no idea what I was doing, switched to buttons and having a much easier time.
Yeah the touch controls are horrible. I'm going to have to try the buttons next.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

goferchan posted:

Oh, it's PC only, he's been making games for years and years -- it's called The You Testament and it's an open-world RPG where you control the thirteenth apostle of Jesus Christ.

The sequel doesn't seem to be available for download anymore.

http://lparchive.org/The-You-Testament-2/

I can't imagine why...

On the plus side, theology is more interesting when you can psychically light people on fire :black101:

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Mar 5, 2013

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Infinity Blade 1 is free today, for those of you like myself who hadn't bought it or played it.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Strategy fan? Might like hearing that Hero Mages is currently free. It looks kind of amateur and apparently there's some odd IAP (at least in the android version, I hear.) but so far it looks perfectly serviceable, has multiplayer and free is free.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Funso Banjo posted:

I keep playing Clash of Clans, but I think I just can't get over the sunk cost fallacy. I generally devote ten, maybe fifteen minutes to it a day. The strategy so far seems pretty shallow, there are only a few viable defense concepts that I've perceived. If anyone does end up sticking with it, I could use a clan.

So, the Ghostbusters game is way less lovely after its last update. Normally, you earn about 20 slime for each 'bust' you do, and you have enough energy to do five busts in a row. The threshold for doing something with that slime used to be awful; to get to the next area of the game I needed 1000. After this latest update, I needed 230. The gameplay still isn't great, but you never need to spend money and its Ghostbusters.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Just finished Year Walk - that was an amazing experience. Anyone who hasn't checked it out really should.

I really enjoyed the interaction with companion app post-credits to get the box code. Once you see credits roll and "The End" after opening the box - that's it, right? Nothing else to do/find?

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Somberbrero posted:

I keep playing Clash of Clans, but I think I just can't get over the sunk cost fallacy. I generally devote ten, maybe fifteen minutes to it a day. The strategy so far seems pretty shallow, there are only a few viable defense concepts that I've perceived. If anyone does end up sticking with it, I could use a clan.

So, the Ghostbusters game is way less lovely after its last update. Normally, you earn about 20 slime for each 'bust' you do, and you have enough energy to do five busts in a row. The threshold for doing something with that slime used to be awful; to get to the next area of the game I needed 1000. After this latest update, I needed 230. The gameplay still isn't great, but you never need to spend money and its Ghostbusters.

Crusader Kings has some goons in it if you want a clan.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

slogsdon posted:

Crusader Kings has some goons in it if you want a clan.
I'm up in there. I'm donating Wizards to all you bitches.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

psylent posted:

I'm up in there. I'm donating Wizards to all you bitches.

Donatin' level 3 archers from the bottom of the leader board all day ery' day

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Can anyone give me even the tiniest push in Year Walk? I want to check out a cool game but these types are not usually my forte. So far all I can do is walk around. I'm not getting anywhere... I feel like I am missing something fundamental...

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Feenix posted:

Can anyone give me even the tiniest push in Year Walk? I want to check out a cool game but these types are not usually my forte. So far all I can do is walk around. I'm not getting anywhere... I feel like I am missing something fundamental...

Yeah, this game is a pretty much entirely a maze, and if you're having trouble now it's not gonna get easier.

Assuming you're still riiight at the start, your goal is to head to the left-ish and find the windmill.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

KominAaa posted:

Our game Shufflepuck Cantina has been updated on iOS, still free with optionnal IAPs.
Because there's no thread for this game and you're the dev I'd like to add some more criticizm.

I've been playing this game for a few days now and I really dig it but I find some of the purchasing ideas not really that good.

I can open another floor for 10k points - that's quite a lot but I think it's a good price for a whole new level and opponents. However it's a bit ridiculous that biography entries for each character cost 500 points or (way) more and you need to buy 20 of them to unlock even a single special move. That's (almost) 10k for the most basic, useless Furry's special move - the price of opening a whole new floor.

Think about it - when I gather points I'm more likely to save them for whole new levels rather than biography entries that will unlock a single special move. Unlocking 3 floors costs 30k - that's a lot of games and I mean really a lot - hundreds, I'm basically a very advanced player capable of beating the hardest opponents (maybe not perfectly)...and I don't have a single special move. So I'm a pubbie with no special move that beats grandmasters - this doesn't make any sense.

I understand that this was constructed so that people pay real $ for unlocks but you have to really bring the cost of biography entries down for the PC version because this is a bit jarring.

Another thing is that as cool as the opponent animations are - some of them are waaay to long. Do I really have to wait for Vardkor to try to shoot me every time he loses a point? It takes so goddamn long and becomes really tiring when you've seen the same animation hundreds of times. They're cool, I dig them but you should make all of them short like Furry's or W4SP's.

Anyway I wouldn't comment on your game if I didn't enjoy it. This is the quality I'd like to always see on ios.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Feenix posted:

You really have to go basically everywhere, at least to start. Try to write down a map of how to get places, usually by landmarks. Write down basically everything that looks like a clue. Listen to everything, look for things appearing that weren't there before. If you don't have the companion, get it. Read it. Read it again.

Most of all, don't give up. It's frustrating when you haven't really played puzzle games, but it's nothing so bad an RPGer or someone that's played Portal can't figure out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone else who has Fairway Solitaire HD been able to get to the daily courses today? My game keeps crashing when I try to open the daily menu. I upgraded to 6.1.2 and jailbroke last night so one of those things could possibly be causing my problem because it was working just fine before that.

• Locked thread