Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Lu Bu does not gently caress around in DW8. :qq:
Probably shouldn't have killed Diao Chan

Bloodbath posted:

Does anyone know if DW7 Xtreme legends was released in Australia? I'm having a bit of trouble finding it on shop websites, or was it a PS store thing?

I'm slightly bored of Empires and I missed DW7 when it came out, and I miss the storytelling aspect. Is XL worth hunting down or is DW7 worth it alone?

DW7 is good all by itself. You should play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Bloodbath posted:

Does anyone know if DW7 Xtreme legends was released in Australia? I'm having a bit of trouble finding it on shop websites, or was it a PS store thing?

I'm slightly bored of Empires and I missed DW7 when it came out, and I miss the storytelling aspect. Is XL worth hunting down or is DW7 worth it alone?
If you can get XL on the cheap it is worth it, it doesn't really add anything significant to the campaign (I seem to remember a Guo Jia-spotting). It's nice to have proper weapons for Xiahou Dun and friends though.

Additionally, if you are one of those masochists who must get every trophy then you will need to play the game without XL, as XL won't award the trophies of the base game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

Lu Bu does not gently caress around in DW8. :qq:
Probably shouldn't have killed Diao Chan

DW8 already sounds promising. Each new installment of Dynasty Warriors isn't Dynasty Warriors if Lu Bu doesn't gently caress you up proper when you first run into him :allears:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Leal posted:

DW8 already sounds promising. Each new installment of Dynasty Warriors isn't Dynasty Warriors if Lu Bu doesn't gently caress you up proper when you first run into him :allears:
He sure hosed me up. No one told me to avoid him, rather once you start combat with him, Liu Bei says something like "We have no time to mess with him!" He finished saying that line after I had already been killed though.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

PureRok posted:

How long after the JP release of a Warriors game does the NA version usually come out? Three months or so?

There is absolutely no pattern or most common time frame. Lately they've been keeping them within three months or so, it seems but the fact that DW8 is out leads me to believe we may be looking further than that. They've done "surprise here it is" or "surprise it's coming in a couple week" releases before but I can't remember them doing it with any of the main games. Personally I wouldn't be surprised if we get a DW8 port as a launch title for PS4. I could also see them just kind of dropping it within a couple of weeks of OPPW2 since they seem to be kind of pairing up warrior titles lately.

This is all just spitballing of course but I've been attempting (with mild success) to predict release schedules for Warriors games for a while now.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I was hoping that the way they released the Japanese and NA versions of DW7 only a month apart would be the norm going forward. :smith:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Samurai Sanders posted:

He sure hosed me up. No one told me to avoid him, rather once you start combat with him, Liu Bei says something like "We have no time to mess with him!" He finished saying that line after I had already been killed though.

A classic Liu Bei moment, I must say! :allears:

EDIT: I'm running through the Anti-Dong Zhou rebellion as a CAW free officer and managed to poach Yuan Shu's kingdom, but by the time I got a respectable territory Sun Jian managed to blob the gently caress out and now controls half the map. It's going to take a loooong time to deal with Wu in this playthrough.

On a more positive note, I really like the Sword & Hook.

EDIT2: On the subject of Lu Bu, what's been your favorite version of his theme. My favorite has to be the remix for the Warriors Orochi games. It's got a lot of different elements playing around while still being immediately recognizable.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Mar 4, 2013

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You'd hope that since they're not doing English voices anymore, it will speed up the localization process by a ton.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tae posted:

You'd hope that since they're not doing English voices anymore, it will speed up the localization process by a ton.
Actually, how long does voice acting recording take? I can't imagine very long, relative to translating it all, which you have to do either way.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dynasty Warriors seems to be their big prestige franchise, I could see them doing English VA work for it. They were putting out Japanese dubbed games around the time DW7 was coming out and it had English.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

GRIM AND FROSTBITTEN KINGDOMS

kissekatt posted:

If you can get XL on the cheap it is worth it, it doesn't really add anything significant to the campaign (I seem to remember a Guo Jia-spotting). It's nice to have proper weapons for Xiahou Dun and friends though.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll see if XL is on the store and if not just grab DW7 :)

I should just wait for DW8 but I'm impatient :(

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Actually, how long does voice acting recording take? I can't imagine very long, relative to translating it all, which you have to do either way.

Negotiating with the actors, recording for hundreds of lines per character, then cutting the audio together plus not assuming the big costs it comes with doing all this.

And that's with just all the previous characters. They also have to find VA's for the new guys and gals. They might've streamlined the process with clauses on future DW's, but it's still a time-cruncher.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

So Dynasty Warriors 8 is kind of a buggy game. You'll need a NicoNico account to watch these but uhhhhhh they're something alright.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

So Dynasty Warriors 8 is kind of a buggy game. You'll need a NicoNico account to watch these but uhhhhhh they're something alright.
I've been playing it for at least ten hours already and I haven't run into any bugs yet.

Just about to go into the battle of red cliff as Cao Cao. Maybe he'll win this time!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 is getting a demo on the Japanese PSN this Thursday, Luffy and Trafalgar Law are playable.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Bloodbath posted:

eBay is your best bet, I got brand new copies of DW7 & DW7:XL for $50.

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009
I've got a question about DW/Warriors Orochi for you guys, which do you recommend getting to enjoy some local/couch co-op action? The latest DW I played was 6, and while it was kinda mediocre, it allowed you to jump right into coop action in the story mode. From what I can gather, DW7 doesn't let you do this until you've completed the campaign first? But I'm not sure if the Extreme Legends allows this, so any extra input on the differences between these two would be great.

Also, I've never played any of the Warriors Orochi games, but they seem like a blast. How's the co-op in the 3rd? Might get that if DW7 isn't that co-op friendly.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Kraxxukalf posted:

I've got a question about DW/Warriors Orochi for you guys, which do you recommend getting to enjoy some local/couch co-op action? The latest DW I played was 6, and while it was kinda mediocre, it allowed you to jump right into coop action in the story mode. From what I can gather, DW7 doesn't let you do this until you've completed the campaign first? But I'm not sure if the Extreme Legends allows this, so any extra input on the differences between these two would be great.

Also, I've never played any of the Warriors Orochi games, but they seem like a blast. How's the co-op in the 3rd? Might get that if DW7 isn't that co-op friendly.

You can only play co-op in DW7's conquest mode, unless you also get xtreme legends and load it into the session before you start. WO3 supports co-op right from the start.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Chachi posted:

You can only play co-op in DW7's conquest mode, unless you also get xtreme legends and load it into the session before you start. WO3 supports co-op right from the start.

And the XL coop addon to DW7 is weird, you can only play coop in levels you have already beaten :psyduck:

Leaping Mutton
Feb 27, 2010

What could go wrong?
How does multiplayer work for DW7:Empires? Can you do it from the start or do you have to beat the levels first?

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009
DW7 XL has everything plus new features right? As in, you won't need both Extreme and DW7 to unlock everything? And yeah, the having to complete levels before being able to co-op them sounds kinda annoying.

So looks like it'll be WO3 since it has a better co-op system, thanks for the input.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Kraxxukalf posted:

DW7 XL has everything plus new features right? As in, you won't need both Extreme and DW7 to unlock everything? And yeah, the having to complete levels before being able to co-op them sounds kinda annoying.

So looks like it'll be WO3 since it has a better co-op system, thanks for the input.

You do need both games for everything. DW7XL only comes with the new game modes it adds.

Kraxxukalf
Aug 24, 2009

Jibo posted:

You do need both games for everything. DW7XL only comes with the new game modes it adds.

Ah crap, my wallet can't handle that, another reason to go WO3 then!

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Leaping Mutton posted:

How does multiplayer work for DW7:Empires? Can you do it from the start or do you have to beat the levels first?

Coop has strange by I guess sensible restrictions... basically you can't do coop for everything, only missions where you are actually a ruler or whatever and are bringing additional troops. I have only played as a ruler so far, but from what I understand if you are just an officer or vagabond or whatever and are being told what to do, it is only single player. Also, when a ruler, player 2 basically just plays as one of your officers in battles, there aren't any decisions or whatever that they make.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I was losing interest a little in Empires - I like the idea, but the battles were getting way too similar to the point where I was just fighting them solo to make it more interesting. And this is at like, weapon level 2 and stuff. But my little kingdom i've been making that's roughly half the size of China now just got invaded by Lu Bu's kingdom (Dong Zhou scenario) and so after mounting a valiant defense of my land, in which I won with a fraction of HP by capturing their main camp with a musou as he did his musou against me, I decided it was time for a counter attack.

Cue me, and all my generals obliterating his forces, getting to the main base where I gave all 7 of my generals the "Attack Lu Bu" command. It was beautiful. Just due to who came to me to be recruited, I had Zhuge Liang, Yue Ying, Xu Zhu, Dian Wei, Yuan Shao and, due to a hilarious defection I caused earlier on, Diao Chan.

It was a pretty special moment.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The Doomhammer posted:

Yeah, as a ruler or Marshall you can choose who you fight as in battles. On the screen where your choosing who's in your army for a battle, press x on your ruler and you'll be able to replace 'em with someone else.

I can't believe I played my entire first game without knowing this. Somehow my brain just assumed that doing that would skip selecting officers and just send me off to fight the battle alone. :haw:

On an unrelated note, I'm digging the boomerang, it's a welcome change of EX weapon for Zhu Rong since I'm not fond of the throwing knives.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

quote:

Thievery's words

My last game was a bit like that (Lu Bu was even the antagonist!) sometimes Empires just clicks, I suppose.

I was playing a created officer leading a vagabond unit. At Hu Lao gate I got the crazy idea to actually duel Lu Bu for real (I was playing on hard) and managed to beat him with a sliver of health remaining, setting up a rivalry that would last the rest of the game. After the battle I went to Nanzhong and kicked Meng Huo off his throne, setting up another rivalry that would have a far happier ending. While I was busy conquering the south (including some rather epic battles with Sun Jian, who went on to become one of my best generals) Lu Bu was busy kicking everybody's asses in the north. In the end we each controlled half the cities and there was a pretty much straight border between us. Of course the 'beware the enemy ruler' event fired and Lu Bu started attacking full force. Had a whole bunch of desperate defensive battles, all made a bit harder since I was intentionally limiting the amount of Items I had equipped and trying to play as different officers every battle.

Eventually I launched my own personal Zhuge Liang-approved Northern campaign from Hanzhong and blitzkrieged my way to Lu Bu's capital at Luoyang, a battle I almost lost because I forgot I was playing on Hard for a moment and charged right into the middle of a modified defence base with four angry Lu Bu officers , including a Raided up Marshal Hua Xiong. Managed to pull it out of the fire due to a very hasty retreat and went on to win the battle. I also captured and killed Li Ru, Lu Bu's strategist, but this just meant my created Chen Gong complete with play history took over the role. I don't think I went a battle from then on without somebody falling into a pit and getting subsequently routed.

Anyway, as hard as Chen Gong fought Lu Bu was eventually reduced to a single province. He refused to surrender, so I launched the final attack (making sure recently surrendered Lu Bu officers Diao Chan and Yuan Shu were commanding units to 'lower his morale.') I decided not to actually do any fighting until Lu Bu himself appeared, instead just riding about on my war elephant giving orders and using stratagems. Most of Lu Bu's officers were injured and low on troops, so they were quickly defeated. In a fit of narrative appropriateness, however, Hua Xiong and Chen Gong would. not. loving. die. They were truly loyal to the end :china:

It took about half the battle's time limit for my officers to finally off them and charge up the mountain to Lu Bu's keep. Once Lu Bu himself turned up I ordered them all to back off, and lured Lu Bu out for a final one-on-one duel. he fell again, and the war was ended.

There was also the Meng Huo thing going on. After I kicked him off his land he understandably hated my ruler, so every skirmish he would turn up trying to get revenge. After beating him up a whole bunch of times I guess he got sick of it and asked to join the army instead. He still hated her, but after a few battles together and a banquet or two he came around and eventually married her just before the final attack. I assume Zhu Rong didn't mind.

Anyway, that was a lot of words. I've been playing this game pretty much non-stop since it came out (hooray for time off work!) but this was the first campaign that felt like it could have a coherent story behind it. It even had narrative bookends!

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

Jibo posted:

Man are you loving kidding me, I literally just picked this up 5 mins ago and was about to go home and play. I don't have DW7 :(

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

Ahaha, my hero actually just married Yue Ying while Zhuge Liang is my strategist. I found it hilarious that he was the first person to join my army (Liu Bei has just joined, around 3 years later) due to the whole 3 kingdoms thing of Liu Bei having to visit him 3 times to get him to join...and he just comes and asks me if he can join my terrible kingdom.

I'm doing a playthrough at the sec where I am just a good ruler, kind and so on, so if someone doesn't accept to join me after i've captured them I just let them go. I was SO tempted to execute a couple of dudes though, particularly ones that gave me a lot of trouble (Usually other peoples CAW's that would just spam musou on me) and Lu Bu. I let him live with his shame, though.

I sort of have to be a nice ruler, since i'm playing as

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEryAoLfnAA

:allears:

(if only I could have a pet monkey)

Thievery fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 5, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

What's with the weapon dealers in the camps in DW8 never having any of my chosen character's EX weapon for sale? Don't make me use the starter weapons come on. :smith:

e: oh no Cao Cao you Sparking!!!'d too hard and crashed the game! At least this rad Battle of Chi Bi jam is still going.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 5, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

tooooooo bad posted:

What's with the weapon dealers in the camps in DW8 never having any of my chosen character's EX weapon for sale? Don't make me use the starter weapons come on. :smith:
I think they only start selling a weapon after using that character for one mission. If you're like me and are always using a new character for every mission, you'll almost always have rank 1 weapons for your first playthrough of story mode.

edit: unless you're lucky and have picked up a rank 2 weapon from an enemy drop on a previous mission.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Bloodbath posted:

Man are you loving kidding me, I literally just picked this up 5 mins ago and was about to go home and play. I don't have DW7 :(

Legend Mode is pretty cool on its own and has a decent amount of stages. Plus poo poo like weapons, characters, and mounts are still attainable in it so it's not like you're actually missing any of that. You just can't do Story or Conquest, which is definitely where the "bulk" of the game is, especially if you get DLC.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Man retail sites have SHIIIIIIITTY markup on JPN PSN cards. I need a friend in Japan if I want Pirate Warriors 2 early.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

Man retail sites have SHIIIIIIITTY markup on JPN PSN cards. I need a friend in Japan if I want Pirate Warriors 2 early.

There's a dude in the PS Import thread who's got a good deal going.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Awesome! Thanks. I'm excited for the demo this week.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Is there a place that lists each of the provinces and what town style they have if they're your capital? I want a specific one for my next Empire, but I don't want to keep moving around the map looking for it.

Bloodbath
Apr 10, 2005

Jibo posted:

Legend Mode is pretty cool on its own and has a decent amount of stages. Plus poo poo like weapons, characters, and mounts are still attainable in it so it's not like you're actually missing any of that. You just can't do Story or Conquest, which is definitely where the "bulk" of the game is, especially if you get DLC.

Yeah I was really hoping for the Story Mode, but I'll give Legends a try. I looked in 5 shops and couldn't find DW7 anywhere and was about to go home when I saw XL in a preowned pile, I was too tired to bother reading the box and didn't realise it didn't have the story. :(

Is there no way to get DW7 on any of the ps stores? The AUS store doesn't seem to have it..

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Bloodbath posted:

Yeah I was really hoping for the Story Mode, but I'll give Legends a try. I looked in 5 shops and couldn't find DW7 anywhere and was about to go home when I saw XL in a preowned pile, I was too tired to bother reading the box and didn't realise it didn't have the story. :(

Is there no way to get DW7 on any of the ps stores? The AUS store doesn't seem to have it..

I could have sworn I saw DW7 on the US PSN.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

It's disc only in Aus, no idea about the other regions.

I guess you can go around hitting up EB's looking for pre-owned versions. Alternatively, ebay.

Edit: Looking this up on PSN made me realize that I've bought a depressingly large amount of half-assed warriors DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Finished DW8's Wei campaign. Didn't expect it to end at the Battle of Fan Castle, with a big showdown against Guan Yu and his ridiculous family (four kids in the game now!). Very cool stage though, just pouring rain and lightning and flood waters. A rare occasion of a Dynasty Warriors game managing to look pretty nice. It looks like the route can split at the Battle of Chi Bi which, true to history I lost spectacularly, leading to a different four final stages. Gotta figure out how to do that.