Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Casu Marzu posted:

Pearl Bridge is the best soy sauce.

Its really nice.

I was wondering can someone explain the chemical process behind why red wine tastes better after its had a long time to air? I know it does taste better but not why.

Is there any point to saving the fat that comes from roasting a leg of lamb or other cut of lamb that will leave a lot left over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Scott Bakula posted:

I was wondering can someone explain the chemical process behind why red wine tastes better after its had a long time to air? I know it does taste better but not why.

quote:

Exposing wine to air does two things: it triggers oxidation and evaporation. Oxidation is what makes an apple turn brown after its skin is broken, and evaporation is the process of liquid turning into vapor. Wine is made up of hundreds of compounds, and with aeration, usually the volatile undesirable compounds will evaporate faster than the desirable, aromatic and flavorful ones.

There are a few particular compounds that are reduced with aeration, such as sulfites, which are added to wine to prevent oxidation and microbial activity but can smell like burnt matchsticks, and sulfides, which are naturally occurring but can remind you of rotten eggs or onionskins. Ethanol is also a highly volatile compound, and a wine that smells too much like rubbing alcohol when you first open it might lose the ethanol note and become more expressive with some aeration.
http://www.winespectator.com/drvinny/show/id/43353

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Casu Marzu posted:

Pearl Bridge is the best soy sauce.
I like Pearl River Bridge light as an all-around go-to soy sauce, and I pretty much always have a bottle of PRB light and dark around. One of its big selling points is that it's a really solid product, but it isn't particularly obscure---I can find it in most local non-ethic grocery stores in their `mysteries of the Orient' aisle.

Yamasa is a good, safe, inexpensive Japanese soy sauce that you can find in almost any grocer's as well (as well as being the most common bottle I see in non-upscale Japanese restaurants). If you have a J-town or Japanese market nearby, chances are you can find a lot of more obscure, smaller brands of soy there. This is something that seems to be less true of Chinese soy sauces. If you go looking for more upscale brands of Japanese soy, do yourself a favour and look in the same places for upscale brands of Japanese rice vinegar---it's one of those ingredients that's almost completely different when you move from a random supermarket brand to a premium bottle.

For fish sauce I always use Three Crabs, which seems to be available from any Asian grocer's (I get mine from the neighborhood Korean market) but never in white people grocery stores. I definitely prefer it to the various other supermarket brands I've tried, but at the same time I feel like I'm almost always using fish sauce to punch up something else instead of using it as a major flavour itself (like I routinely do with soy sauce). Like if I was making a shitload of Thai food or something where fish sauce was a major flavour note I'd definitely want to use a good fish sauce. But if you're making some tomato sauce and you're just punching it up with a Tbsp or so of fish sauce I don't know if the quality of the fish sauce is that important. Kinda like using a really good olive oil for an infusion versus a lesser, more neutral oil for cooking or making a strong vinaigrette.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

LTBS posted:

I'm trying to make a dish tonight that is comprised completely of mushrooms. I have two portabella caps, about a dozen baby portabellas, and some fresh shiitakes. I was planning on dry roasting some, and possibly searing or grilling the caps (in a grill pan, supposed to rain tonight so no actual grill).

I have access to just about anything you could think of, but would like to have it not take more than about 2 hours if that is possible. There is a great market near where I work that has just about any type of ingredient. It's an "ethnic food" market so it has Mexican, Middle Eastern, Asian, and MURICAN if needed.

Any suggestions?

I just made one of The Very Best Soups last night, from a very simple recipe I stole from Michael Salmon's book after we ate it at his Inn.

Just:
- sweat some finely-chopped yellow onion in a little neutral oil.
- add the sliced portabellas and other mushrooms (a pund or so).
- cook that for 5-10 minuts on medium heat until the shrooms start oozing juices.
add:
- 3-4 cups of chicken stock.
- .5 cup of dry sherry.
- .5 cup of white wine.
- 1.4 bay leaves.
- Simmer for a while,
- then purée (not the bay leaf). I used my stick blender in the sauce pen.
- Just some salt and white pepper is all he adds to that, so it's pretty much pure mushroom flavor, but then he adds a dollop of:

- heavy cream, whisked till stiff + a dash of sherry.

I didn't think his sherry cream had enough flavor, so I used a little lemon juice in the bowl and a splash of cointreau. I think it was too much.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

SubG posted:

For fish sauce I always use Three Crabs, which seems to be available from any Asian grocer's (I get mine from the neighborhood Korean market) but never in white people grocery stores. I definitely prefer it to the various other supermarket brands I've tried, but at the same time I feel like I'm almost always using fish sauce to punch up something else instead of using it as a major flavour itself (like I routinely do with soy sauce). Like if I was making a shitload of Thai food or something where fish sauce was a major flavour note I'd definitely want to use a good fish sauce. But if you're making some tomato sauce and you're just punching it up with a Tbsp or so of fish sauce I don't know if the quality of the fish sauce is that important. Kinda like using a really good olive oil for an infusion versus a lesser, more neutral oil for cooking or making a strong vinaigrette.

I don't know, Squid brand has always been a favorite.

Dat cephalopod

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Very Strange Things posted:

I just made one of The Very Best Soups last night, from a very simple recipe I stole from Michael Salmon's book after we ate it at his Inn.

Just:
- sweat some finely-chopped yellow onion in a little neutral oil.
- add the sliced portabellas and other mushrooms (a pund or so).
- cook that for 5-10 minuts on medium heat until the shrooms start oozing juices.
add:
- 3-4 cups of chicken stock.
- .5 cup of dry sherry.
- .5 cup of white wine.
- 1.4 bay leaves.
- Simmer for a while,
- then purée (not the bay leaf). I used my stick blender in the sauce pen.
- Just some salt and white pepper is all he adds to that, so it's pretty much pure mushroom flavor, but then he adds a dollop of:

- heavy cream, whisked till stiff + a dash of sherry.

I didn't think his sherry cream had enough flavor, so I used a little lemon juice in the bowl and a splash of cointreau. I think it was too much.

1.4 Bay Leaves? You lost me there.

I have a GIANT bottle of Squid brand fish sauce in my fridge. I really need to try it in more things than just my thai staples.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

LTBS posted:

I'm trying to make a dish tonight that is comprised completely of mushrooms. I have two portabella caps, about a dozen baby portabellas, and some fresh shiitakes. I was planning on dry roasting some, and possibly searing or grilling the caps (in a grill pan, supposed to rain tonight so no actual grill).

I have access to just about anything you could think of, but would like to have it not take more than about 2 hours if that is possible. There is a great market near where I work that has just about any type of ingredient. It's an "ethnic food" market so it has Mexican, Middle Eastern, Asian, and MURICAN if needed.

Any suggestions?

If you can use other things than literally just mushrooms, make a Mushroom Wellington. Make the duxelle our of the baby ports and shitakes, then substitute the full portabllas in for the traditional beef.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 5, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

EVG posted:

Pounds

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

EVG posted:

1 metric bay leaf

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

EVG posted:

I have a GIANT bottle of Squid brand fish sauce in my fridge. I really need to try it in more things than just my thai staples.

Was just trying to be as accurate to what I did, personally, because it came out really nice. More accurately, it should have been: 1.4 dried-out old bay leaves, because I know my bay leaves lack flavor so I found the biggest one in the jar and another half of one.
Seriously though, try the delicious soup.

I forgot to add that there should be a nice crouton or two, but if you are grilling some cap then that would be a nice garnish -or you could serve the mushroom soup (a little thicker than my version) IN the port cap.
Or just do Mr. Wiggles thing because he's Mr. Wiggles.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

I don't know, Squid brand has always been a favorite.

Dat cephalopod

Yep. That's what I use too.

Edit: Three Crabs is pretty good though.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Yeah, Squid is my favorite for seasoning dishes. Good but cheap. Three Crabs I find a bit too sweet. For dipping, I use Red Boat. It's expensive but so delicious.

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Boat-Fish-Sauce-40%C2%B0N/dp/B004M050W2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1362446167&sr=8-2&keywords=red+boat+fish+sauce

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
How should I mix creme fraîche with pasta?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

How should I mix creme fraîche with pasta?

Toss finished pasta in it in a bowl

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I've always been told a lot about letting wine breathe, and I do believe the bit about evaporation of volatiles. But I really find it hard to stomach the oxidation argument: The surface area of the wine that is exposed to the air is surely not enough to allow significant amounts of oxidation to occur? It's hard to believe that there could be sufficient diffusion of oxygen through the liquid to make any difference to the flavour of the wine.

I would love to be proved wrong!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
The article strongly suggests that oxidation doesn't happen that fast, and so volatile evaporation is the key.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Squashy Nipples posted:

My go to soy sauce is Yamasa (Japanese style).

I'm a Yamasa guy, too.

I'll grab a bottle of Pearl River Bridge from the grocery store next time I'm there.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've been making plans for a homemade pizza, and well I loving forgot to pick up yeast and by the time I get back to the store it'll be closed :suicide:

So while I rewrite my shopping list for a trip tomorrow and make sure I put yeast in big rear end letters so I wont forget it again, whats a good blend of cheese for a pizza? I picked up some shredded mozzarella but I figure just plain mozzarella would be boring and I should mix in some other cheeses as well. Also I plan on cooking on this, should I also pick up some cornmeal to put onto the cooking sheet?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Hey, I was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for how to cook eggplant. I recently had some amazing spicy garlic eggplant at a Chinese place recently, that was gelatinous and amazing. But I like eggplants in general and was hoping for some ideas on how to cook them.

Fake edit: Please don't suggest eggplant parm

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Eggplant tempura is amazing but deadly. If you bite into it when it's fresh out of the oil you will squirt delicious eggplant-flavored lava into your mouth.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Some random eggplant recipes:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2008/09/28/aloo-baingan-potato-and-eggplant/
http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2009/10/09/baingan-bharta-eggplant/ or http://www.whats4eats.com/vegetables/baigan-bhurta-recipe
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/02/braised-eggplant-with-tofu-in-garlic-sauce-recipe.html
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Caponata
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/01/rigatoni-with-eggplant-puree/
http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2009/10/lebanese-style-stuffed-eggplant/
http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Shaahi_Baigan

Plus of course you can make ratatoullie or baba ghanoush. And if you want something kind of different, you could make eggplant bacon.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Leal posted:

So while I rewrite my shopping list for a trip tomorrow and make sure I put yeast in big rear end letters so I wont forget it again, whats a good blend of cheese for a pizza? I picked up some shredded mozzarella but I figure just plain mozzarella would be boring and I should mix in some other cheeses as well. Also I plan on cooking on this, should I also pick up some cornmeal to put onto the cooking sheet?
I don't know what else you're planning on putting on the pie, but you'd want to pair the cheeses with the other ingredients. That said, don't buy pre-shredded mozzarella unless you have some bizarre medical condition that prevents you from shredding cheese yourself, like not having any hands and not having any friends with hands that would shred cheese in exchange for a slice. Why? Because any time you buy shredded cheese you're a) paying too much, b) getting low quality cheese, and c) getting cheese with a bunch of random other crap in it to prevent caking.

You can use cornmeal, but I personally don't gently caress around with it because that poo poo gets all over the place. I assemble the pie on parchment on a half sheet pan, use the pan as a peel to transfer the pie into the oven (onto a stone), and then yank the parchment out from under the pizza after about a minute. You could do the same thing if you're planning on cooking on a sheet without a stone.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

SubG posted:

That said, don't buy pre-shredded mozzarella unless you have some bizarre medical condition that prevents you from shredding cheese yourself, like not having any hands and not having any friends with hands that would shred cheese in exchange for a slice.

I have a medical condition that forces me to try a handful of shredding mozzarella and then, finding it delicious, to consume the entire block in one sitting and realize I need to buy lovely shredded cheese for my recipe but now I'm not hungry because I ate a kilo of mozzarella.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SubG posted:

I don't know what else you're planning on putting on the pie, but you'd want to pair the cheeses with the other ingredients. That said, don't buy pre-shredded mozzarella unless you have some bizarre medical condition that prevents you from shredding cheese yourself, like not having any hands and not having any friends with hands that would shred cheese in exchange for a slice. Why? Because any time you buy shredded cheese you're a) paying too much, b) getting low quality cheese, and c) getting cheese with a bunch of random other crap in it to prevent caking.

You can use cornmeal, but I personally don't gently caress around with it because that poo poo gets all over the place. I assemble the pie on parchment on a half sheet pan, use the pan as a peel to transfer the pie into the oven (onto a stone), and then yank the parchment out from under the pizza after about a minute. You could do the same thing if you're planning on cooking on a sheet without a stone.

Toppings I'm using is canadian bacon and pepperoni, also I'm using BBQ sauce instead of pizza sauce. I didn't realize buying preshedded cost more (I have never really looked at the price of a block of cheese), but I do have the same medical issue tarepanda has. One day I'll buy a block, later that night I'll want a snack and just stuff the entire block down my throat :ohdear:

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
My wife and I often put some chunks of chevre in with the mozzarella and boy oh boy is it ever delicious.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
The past day or so, I've been craving a bolognese-style meat sauce and pasta. However, most good bolognese take at least 3-4 hours, which isn't really feasible on a weeknight. Can anybody suggest something similar that I can have together in < 2 hours?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

rj54x posted:

The past day or so, I've been craving a bolognese-style meat sauce and pasta. However, most good bolognese take at least 3-4 hours, which isn't really feasible on a weeknight. Can anybody suggest something similar that I can have together in < 2 hours?

The reason it takes that long is so the meat breaks down and becomes very tender. You could just pull it early and it will be fine but a little toothy. A pressure cooker would probably work if you simmer it down awhile after.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Funktor posted:

My wife and I often put some chunks of chevre in with the mozzarella and boy oh boy is it ever delicious.

A few dollops of a good salty ricotta is fantastic on a pizza...the textural contrast between the other toppings and the creamy ricotta is A+.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

On the Fish Sauce Question, there is only one rightest answer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYnbGUTHiZc

If your fish sauce has more ingredients than anchovies and salt, you are buying an inferior product. Water is an acceptable addition, but sugar and the like should be avoided. If you want sugar in your fish sauce, add it when you add the lime juice.

Scott Bakula posted:

That's all correct, but not comprehensive. It seems geared toward bad wines or hypersensitive tasters too, since the amount of sulfite (and sulfide) in the average wine isn't enough for most people to detect. The biggest thing aeration does for red wines is open up the tannins, making them less abrasive and allowing you to detect other flavors more easily. I've heard sommeliers say that proper aeration of a wine makes it easier for the human nose to detect subtle aromas due to the presence of oxygen, but haven't seen that backed up by any studies.

Most reds meant to be drunk young gain little or nothing from aeration, so save it for big reds with lots of structural flavors. With a few exceptions, don't leave a wine to breathe for days - too much oxygen dulls the wine as a lot of the more volatile flavor components oxidize into other things. The exceptions are generally more expensive than 95% of the wine-drinking population can afford.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I have an excess of already-soaked red kidney beans (maybe a couple of cups). What should I do with them?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

C-Euro posted:

I have an excess of already-soaked red kidney beans (maybe a couple of cups). What should I do with them?

Raajma. It's in the wiki.

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
I am cooking dinner for a pescatarian tomorrow. Can someone reccommend me a quick but yummy fish dish for her? There is a nice fish market a block from my apartment. She likes healthy things. We don't get out of work until 6, so I prefer something that I can put together quick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would visit the fish market tomorrow morning, buy whatever looks the best, and then come back for suggestions as to how to prepare it. Fish is quick cooking no matter how you prepare it (well maybe not bouillabaisse), so your choice of what to do should be informed by what fish you select.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scott Justice posted:

I am cooking dinner for a pescatarian tomorrow. Can someone reccommend me a quick but yummy fish dish for her? There is a nice fish market a block from my apartment. She likes healthy things. We don't get out of work until 6, so I prefer something that I can put together quick.

I think it's a Jamie Oliver recipe for rainbow trout stuffed with thyme and cooked with lemon and bay. Cooks in ten minutes.
http://www.spreadmybutter.com/oven-roasted-trout/

I know the recipe without garlic and with regular OO.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

therattle posted:

I think it's a Jamie Oliver recipe for rainbow trout stuffed with thyme and cooked with lemon and bay. Cooks in ten minutes.
http://www.spreadmybutter.com/oven-roasted-trout/

I know the recipe without garlic and with regular OO.

This works with many other whole fish of similar size, such as tilapia or whatever the fishmonger has available, by the way.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright I made my first ever homemade pizza:

I can imagine a fair number of you look at this and your stomachs are turning. Family did enjoy it, but I know I hosed up in many ways. I could of definitely put more cheese and toppings on the pizza, and I feel I should of stretched the pizza out more. My main issue that I'm not too sure on is the crust itself though. It was basically pizza toppings on a giant round slice of bread, family suggested that maybe I should of spread olive oil onto the bottom of the pizza which would help make the dough crispy. Here are my steps:

Made the dough by mixing in flour, yeast, warm water, half a tablespoon of sugar, a teaspoon of salt and about a table spoon of olive oil as all were suggested by this video (I didn't use the goon with spoons wiki as all of them suggested using tools I do not have or can get a hold of)
I kneaded the dough for about 5 minutes till it stopped becoming sticky and rolled it up into a ball, I then let the dough rise for about an hour and a half in a big bowl covered with a damp towel.
After that I rolled the dough around a bit, then used a rolling pin to roll out the dough flat. After about 5 minutes I then made the pizza circle shaped, and added my toppings. BBQ sauce, a cheese mix of 75% mozerella and 25% cheddar, canadian bacon and pepperoni.
I preheated the oven to 400 degrees and tossed it in there for about 12 minutes. I thought of cooking it longer but the cheese melted and I didn't want it to start burning.

Any tips? I plan on trying again tomorrow. What I really want is for the pizza crust to be a bit crispy and not basically bread.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Leal posted:

Any tips? I plan on trying again tomorrow. What I really want is for the pizza crust to be a bit crispy and not basically bread.

Hotter surface. Look for something to use as a pizza stone.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Leal posted:

Any tips?

Is that picture from before you cooked it? Because if not, my tip would be "cook it"

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

rj54x posted:

Make a big pot of bolognese on the weekend, portion it into ziplocs and freeze it for use during the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Is that picture from before you cooked it? Because if not, my tip would be "cook it"

No that is actually after cooking it. Guess I should of cooked longer then.