Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
The accelerationist part of me wants Australia to keep going down this path to see how much they can crash and burn. The Ashes are going to be glorious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Cave posted:

The accelerationist part of me wants Australia to keep going down this path to see how much they can crash and burn. The Ashes are going to be glorious.

They say you have to hit rock bottom before you can rise up.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
This might be my favourite thing to ever happen in cricket. 2 more innings defeats to go.

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

VOTE1 posted:

Wow, that's a belting. But really what do you do?

The following players scored more than 400 runs in Shield this season.

PJ Hughes (In and failing)
RT Ponting (Retired)
CJL Rogers (35 and had a previous shot)
AJ Doolan (dont know much about him)
MJ Cosgrove (Likely will never get picked due to weight and attitude - but right now couldn't be worse..)
CJ Ferguson (Hasn't stepped up in the last few years, seems more suited to the one dayers)
UT Khawaja (should be in the side, but again hasn't stepped up when he's had the chance)
BJ Haddin (Old, was dropped for a reason)
CD Hartley (Is ok, and maybe a improvement on Wade, but eh)

Isn't exactly anyone banging the door down to get in..

Good list. I'd say Khawaja hasn't been given a proper chance. He was brought in when Ponting was injured, and the expectations around him were built up. New players should come in at 6 and be allowed time to prove themselves. Throwing in Hughes at opener and having had it work (for a few test at least) ruined that philosophy. It's time Australia went back to that. Haddin, for the record, wasn't dropped. He had to return home due to a family issue and was not brought back in. I still believe he's better right now than Wade is, and no, I'm not his Mum.

My team for the next test would be: Cowan, Warner, Clarke, Watson, Khawaja, Hughes, Wade, Starc, Pattinson, Siddle and Lyon. Ideally, I'd bring back Hussey (gently caress Clarke if he can't handle it) and drop Hughes. Henriques might have the poise and ability for this level, so can maybe slot in instead of Watson or Hughes, but Maxwell definitely is nowhere near that and neither is Doherty.

However, which players are picked isn't the real issue. Australia has picked up all this fluffy philosophy (probably from Buchanan) and it sadly hasn't changed with Arthur. New ideals such as being a positive to the team, aggressive, try-hard and other bullshit have prevailed over skill, and a winning attitude. That a player like Wade can be in any way pleased with himself after the 1st innings is a disgrace. That a baggy green is earned as cheaply as Maxwell has earned his is a travesty. That Arthur can go and give the press conference he did after day one should be sackable. These guys keep finding positives where there are none to be found. There's a whole lot of bullshit flying around and in the meantime, the players are getting used to the idea that it's OK to lose. As Damien Martyn tweeted, the batsmen should be made to bat out the rest of the day on that pitch against the Aussie spinners. Hell, I'd make them come in and do it all day tomorrow too.

Mancubus
Jun 29, 2011
The next match is in Mohali, which is generally the best place in India to get swing. The Aussies should do better there unless they do something like dropping Pattinson.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
Cricinfo Tweet :

quote:

Michael Clarke confirms that he will move up the order in the third Test

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Anarkii posted:

Cricinfo Tweet :

:facepalm:

He really shouldnt have to - and the stats say it wont work. But he's literally the only player with a clue at the moment so...

LOLstralia are so hosed for the Ashes.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

It doesn't matter since there is no Hussey in the team to make a decent partnership.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Unimpressed posted:

Good list. I'd say Khawaja hasn't been given a proper chance. He was brought in when Ponting was injured, and the expectations around him were built up. New players should come in at 6 and be allowed time to prove themselves. Throwing in Hughes at opener and having had it work (for a few test at least) ruined that philosophy. It's time Australia went back to that. Haddin, for the record, wasn't dropped. He had to return home due to a family issue and was not brought back in. I still believe he's better right now than Wade is, and no, I'm not his Mum.

My team for the next test would be: Cowan, Warner, Clarke, Watson, Khawaja, Hughes, Wade, Starc, Pattinson, Siddle and Lyon. Ideally, I'd bring back Hussey (gently caress Clarke if he can't handle it) and drop Hughes. Henriques might have the poise and ability for this level, so can maybe slot in instead of Watson or Hughes, but Maxwell definitely is nowhere near that and neither is Doherty.

However, which players are picked isn't the real issue. Australia has picked up all this fluffy philosophy (probably from Buchanan) and it sadly hasn't changed with Arthur. New ideals such as being a positive to the team, aggressive, try-hard and other bullshit have prevailed over skill, and a winning attitude. That a player like Wade can be in any way pleased with himself after the 1st innings is a disgrace. That a baggy green is earned as cheaply as Maxwell has earned his is a travesty. That Arthur can go and give the press conference he did after day one should be sackable. These guys keep finding positives where there are none to be found. There's a whole lot of bullshit flying around and in the meantime, the players are getting used to the idea that it's OK to lose. As Damien Martyn tweeted, the batsmen should be made to bat out the rest of the day on that pitch against the Aussie spinners. Hell, I'd make them come in and do it all day tomorrow too.

Can we just bestow a citizenship on Monty for the tour so he can play for us instead of the poms?

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Unimpressed posted:

As Damien Martyn tweeted, the batsmen should be made to bat out the rest of the day on that pitch against the Aussie spinners.

What happens when a moveable force encounters a stoppable object?

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Anarkii posted:

Cricinfo Tweet :

It's about drat time. Somebody getting dropped?

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I'm going to guess the selectors will be too stupid to drop someone. They'll put Watson at opener, Cowan at 3, Clarke at 4 and then Hughes at 5. Then they will be confused when everybody gets out anyway.

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
This is how I remember being an England fan was in the 1990s. Clarke is your version of Thorpe, and then you can rage about how bad all of the rest of the batsmen are but in the end there isn't anyone better available.

baked
Apr 1, 2005

i took a little nap where the roots all twist; squished a rotten peach in my fist.
Hahahaha we suck.

I see us losing this 3-1, beating India in a meaningless 4th test and the selectors patting themselves on the back saying "Great job, we have saved the team".

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Anarkii posted:

Cricinfo Tweet :

Well well well. I guess us English lads were right all along then.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
The 4th test is in Delhi where India hasn't lost in 25 years. As someone said, Mohali (3rd test) is the best bet to salvage anything out of this tour.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

serious gaylord posted:

The best thing is now they'll be torn between wanting Clarke to still be amazing but not wanting us to be right.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lionel RichTea posted:

The best thing is now they'll be torn between wanting Clarke to still be amazing but not wanting us to be right.

But the stats lionel. The stats say a really good batsmen is crap in a spot he hasnt played in for years since he got quite good at hitting the ball.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8
If Clarke moves up the order and hits a century this thread is going to catch fire

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Hyperriker posted:

If Clarke moves up the order and hits a century this thread is going to catch fire

Woulda scored a double at 5.

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

Does it really matter where he bats if the rest of the team scores 80 between them?

Ilanin
May 31, 2009

Smarter than the average Blair.
Yeah, it all seems very deckchairs on the Titanic to me. I guess it might help a bit, but I don't think many of the Australian failures on this tour had much to do with the scoreboard. If it does have a beneficial effect, it might be in giving Clarke more partners to bat with and/or the Australian tail somebody who knows how to bat with the tail.

...of course that would require the Australian tail not to be 10 long, but details.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

I will never not enjoy Australia being poo poo. They will never reach the West Indies level. It will be glorious fiveever and always.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

serious gaylord posted:

Woah completely unprecedented

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I cant wait till someone posts some more meaningless numbers about why your best batsmen should in the tail.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

serious gaylord posted:

I cant wait till someone posts some more meaningless numbers about why your best batsmen should in the tail.

I'm waiting for the annoyed reply to this post exclaiming that 5 isn't the tail, so that we can truly reach a youtube comments level of discourse on the topic

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Hyperriker posted:

I'm waiting for the annoyed reply to this post exclaiming that 5 isn't the tail, so that we can truly reach a youtube comments level of discourse on the topic

EJM Cowan c Sehwag b Jadeja 44 176 150 6 0 29.33
DA Warner b Ashwin 26 72 56 3 1 46.42
PJ Hughes b Ashwin 0 12 9 0 0 0.00
SR Watson c †Dhoni b Sharma 9 42 35 0 1 25.71
MJ Clarke* b Jadeja 16 39 31 0 1 51.61
MS Wade† c Sehwag b Ashwin 10 45 28 1 0 35.71
MC Henriques run out (Jadeja) 0 5 4 0 0 0.00
GJ Maxwell lbw b Ashwin 8 16 22 1 0 36.36
PM Siddle c Kohli b Jadeja 4 12 14 0 0 28.57
JL Pattinson lbw b Ashwin 0 24 27 0 0 0.00
XJ Doherty not out 1 22 26 0 0 3.84

Pretty sure the tail starts after the openers (being kind to Warner)

[edit]

Clarke beat extras though, a true captains knock

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Im imagining that team against South Africa and I'm doing massive lols.

Then I imagine the likely England team against South Africa and still cant stop laughing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Swann is injured.

Monty for MotM, calling it now.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

yessssss

e: oh wait, we're batting. boring. wake me up in 3 days

thehappyprince fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 5, 2013

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

goatface posted:

Swann is injured.

Monty for MotM, calling it now.
Between this and Man Utd getting knocked out the Champions League, I haven't been this I happy with sport since England topped the test rankings.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

What is this anyway? England have already won the odi and twenty20 series. Why are they still there?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stamina training.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Large swathes of the country are experiencing a 50 year drought and yet the first test is off for rain. Cool.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Large swathes of the country are experiencing a 50 year drought and yet the first test is off for rain. Cool.

It's Dunedin, the Swansea of New Zealand (it's not nice enough to be the Edinburgh)

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Looks like the Kiwi plan for not losing the test series is coming along nicely.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Instead of cricket we get a 20 minute interview with Broad.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
TMS are talking about chuckers.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This test is going to be a draw. The outfield has poo poo drainage so they're saying there might not be any play today unless it stops raining right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yaaaaaaaaay.

Top job lads. Might as well let the sheep back onto the field.

• Locked thread