Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Korovyev posted:

Hey there knowledgeable goons, I'm thinking about picking up this little guy for my first vintage Vespa. http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/mcy/3628725223.html

Since moving to San Francisco, I've been wanting to get an upgrade from my Vino 50 got stolen. I had my heart set on a 4 stroke Stella until I stopped by SF Scooter Center to touch one in person and maybe take one for a test drive.

I'm not a tall lady by any stretch of the imagination, but drat if I didn't feel tiny and weak messing with the Stella. I had to stand on my tip toes to keep it upright while sitting on the seat and rolling it back on the kickstand to a large amount of umph and all my upper body strength. The owner, Barry, right off the bat listed the many reasons why I shouldn't buy the Stella and instead took me to me to the back of their shop to show off a smallframe Vespa. A much better fit, and I've really always wanted a Vespa, I just wanted something that came with a warranty.

So- Would this little Vespa 100 Sport a good introduction to the greasy world of vintage scooters? Being a huge cosplay nerd, my grand plan is to turn it into something that looks like Boomerjink's beautiful FLCL SS 180(http://www.therpf.com/f9/flcl-harukos-vespa-ss-180-scooter-144329/) and starting with a $1800 Vespa rather than a $4500 new Stella seems like a good plan to me. But I have no idea what I'm getting myself into here.

Smallframes are rad and parts are available so go for it. $2k doesn't seem like a very good deal for a cosmetically-imperfect smallframe, but you're also in SF, so maybe that's just what they go for there. They probably aren't as easy an intro to vintage Vespas as, say, a P-series largeframe, because parts are a little less available (but SIP has everything and ships to the US) and the motors probably aren't as easy to work with, but if you know what you're getting into (it's old and Italian, you'll have to get your hands dirty at some point) have at!

The FLCL thing bums me out but paint is temporary and I don't think 100 Sports are particularly rare so go for it if you must

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Feb 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

that one guy posted:

I'm signed up for the MSF in early April. I am thinking that it might be good to take it with my Scooter instead of the motorcycles they provide because I'm going to be riding my scooter, not a motorcycle. If I were ever to switch to an actual motorcycle I think I'd take the class again or something. Any reason for me not to take the class using my scooter?

I would do it on a motorcycle. It's an easy time to learn to shift, and any skill on the motorcycle will transfer to the scooter, but not necessarily the other way around.
Also it seems like a waste to take it twice just because you didn't do it on a motorcycle the first time.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Astonishing Wang posted:

I'm 700 miles in on my rebuilt motor - Honda elite 80. On the way to work today it sounded like my exhaust sprung a leak and the motor died and wouldn't start up again. I took the bus to work and I'm hoping someone may be able to give me a clue as to what could've happened. Plenty of gas, battery is good, and it was running fine up til this.

It turns out that my engine spit out the spark plug. I guess I didn't tighten it enough when I put it in 700 miles ago. Hopefully the threads on the head didn't get messed up too bad. I put in a new plug and it started right up.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Pokey Araya posted:

I would do it on a motorcycle. It's an easy time to learn to shift, and any skill on the motorcycle will transfer to the scooter, but not necessarily the other way around.
Also it seems like a waste to take it twice just because you didn't do it on a motorcycle the first time.

I think it depends. If the person already knows how to drive with a manual transmission and is comfortable with it then yeah, do a motorcycle. But if this was some of my friends of mine who don't drive manuals, I would have them do it on a scooter first so they could focus on the two wheel thing, then come back and do it so they could do two wheels AND shifting manually and dealing with a clutch. Plus they may try scooters, which arguably have a lower threshold of difficulty to get the hang of, and decide two wheels is not for them.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Coredump posted:

I think it depends. If the person already knows how to drive with a manual transmission and is comfortable with it then yeah, do a motorcycle. But if this was some of my friends of mine who don't drive manuals, I would have them do it on a scooter first so they could focus on the two wheel thing, then come back and do it so they could do two wheels AND shifting manually and dealing with a clutch. Plus they may try scooters, which arguably have a lower threshold of difficulty to get the hang of, and decide two wheels is not for them.

When I took the MSF I had about two years of scooter riding experience and maybe two hours of manual driving experience (which was a couple years prior). I picked up the shifting easily, since I already knew the concept even if I wasn't proficient, and since I already felt comfortable on two wheels I could focus more on the shifting process.

I agree with you. I think if you have never ridden, aren't comfortable with a manual, and already own the scooter (as that one guy does), then taking it on the scooter would be a good idea. If the class lets him take it on his own scooter, that's perfect, as he can get guidance on handling exactly the bike he'll be riding.

If he didn't already own the scooter I'd probably suggest taking in on a motorcycle.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
I was planning to use the motorcycle they provided, but then I got my scooter earlier than I'd anticipated. I want to get the most benefit out of the class so it seems to make sense to me to take it on my scooter, the one I will be riding and having to handle, rather than learning on a motorcycle then trying to transfer the skills to my scooter. I'd love to get feedback and input and testing based on what I will actually be riding. And they do allow it, so I think I will be taking the MSF with my Reflex. Thanks for the input everybody.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

that one guy posted:

I was planning to use the motorcycle they provided, but then I got my scooter earlier than I'd anticipated. I want to get the most benefit out of the class so it seems to make sense to me to take it on my scooter, the one I will be riding and having to handle, rather than learning on a motorcycle then trying to transfer the skills to my scooter. I'd love to get feedback and input and testing based on what I will actually be riding. And they do allow it, so I think I will be taking the MSF with my Reflex. Thanks for the input everybody.

IMO you'd get the most benefit by learning on a vehicle other than your own. You'll have plenty of time to learn your scooter, and most of the skills will be transferable. Otherwise you'll learn on your scooter and then have to go and re-learn on a motorcycle if you ever want to drive one. This is assuming your scooter is an automatic though. I don't ever plan to have a motorcycle but I'm going to take the MSF on one, just so I know how to shift if a zombie is ever chasing me and all that's available is a Harley Road King.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
My scooter is automatic. I'm not sure I see the value in getting less practice on it in that safety setting in case "one day" I'll get a motorcycle and need to learn to incorporate shifting into it. I have enough friends that ride motorcycles to where one of them could practice with me for an hour if I got a motorcycle so I could pick up shifting, then I could practice the basics. For now my chief concern is learning how to safely handle my Reflex.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
I'd take it on your scooter. The biggest downside is that you might drop your scooter during the course, but then maybe the extra time learning on it in a safe environment will make you less likely to drop it in the real world.

Learning shifting once you learn how to ride and navigate traffic wouldn't be too bad. Worst case you take the course again, which also wouldn't be bad! I think most of us could probably use the refresher.

TinfoilHate
Nov 19, 2003

What the hell is wrong
with you people?
Just chiming in, and although the MSF center here offered scooters for the course (which I used) they still recommended that you use a course-provided vehicle, primarily because you may drop it, someone else might run into you, etc.

They do walk you through everything at a decent pace too, though, so I wouldn't worry too much about being unfamiliar with shifting going in.

Bonus: Took it on an automatic scoot, ride a Stella almost daily. :v:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I picked up a second Honda Elite 80 for $300 last night on Craigslist. It broke down two years ago, the guy was quoted $260 to have it repaired, and then it sat in the garage unfixed. It's been sitting with gas in the tank. He couldn't remember what the mechanic said would need to be fixed. I figure my course of action should be cleaning out the gas tank, cleaning carb, new fuel line, charge battery and then try to start it up. Does that sound good? Then I can check compression and spark and work from there.

He had new tires put on right before it broke down, and they look great - no sidewall cracks. Is 2 years too long for tires to sit unused?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Replace the fuel filter if it has one. 2 years isn't too long to sit, but they may be (probably are) flat spotted if it wasn't moved for that long.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Scooters are awesome. I saw this kick-rear end surfboard holder on a scooter here. I couldn't get any decent pictures of a loaded board, but here's one of a parked scooter a block from the beach. The hooks on the side hold a full board, making these scooters ten to twelve feet long. They still split through traffic like a boss. I even saw one of these setups on a pedal bike, ridden by a dude in a wet suit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whoa, what is that little shifter up front for?

e: or perhaps parking brake?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Any scoot riders considering the DCT version of the Honda NC700X? I've been riding a KLR and a V-Strom 1000 for a few years, but I miss the carefree nature of my old SYM RV250 and its auto transmission at times. The NC700X seems like it combines the best of a scooter (auto tranny, great fuel economy) with the versatility of a motorcycle (full size chassis, big engine). I'd probably keep my V-Strom and ditch my scooters in favor of the NC if I decide to get it. The reviews are pretty good, overall.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Whoa, what is that little shifter up front for?

e: or perhaps parking brake?
I have a 2006 Reflex and that is exactly what the parking brake looks like.

Purgey
Nov 5, 2008

Radbot posted:

Any scoot riders considering the DCT version of the Honda NC700X? I've been riding a KLR and a V-Strom 1000 for a few years, but I miss the carefree nature of my old SYM RV250 and its auto transmission at times. The NC700X seems like it combines the best of a scooter (auto tranny, great fuel economy) with the versatility of a motorcycle (full size chassis, big engine). I'd probably keep my V-Strom and ditch my scooters in favor of the NC if I decide to get it. The reviews are pretty good, overall.

I don't own one, but the NC700X is on my list of "poo poo I'd buy if I had all the money". I love hearing all these crusty old motorcycle guys complaining about maxi-scoots and DCT bikes as if new ideas will somehow pollute the purity of rehashed sportbikes and fatty cruisers.

If you can afford the 8k~ or so for the fully kitted NC700X I say good luck and go for it. If you prefer the cruiser layout Honda is also going to be releasing the CTX700 next year. Same components as the NC700 just rearranged to fit a cruiser layout.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Radbot posted:

I've looked at the NC700X as a possibility should I eever have a freeway commute, but it probably wouldn't be the DCT version.

But automatic transmissions are not what attract me to scooters - in fact mine is a manual. I like them because they are small and super nimble.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

I've looked at the NC700X as a possibility should I eever have a freeway commute, but it probably wouldn't be the DCT version.

But automatic transmissions are not what attract me to scooters - in fact mine is a manual. I like them because they are small and super nimble.

Of course! I tend to forget how many scoots have manual transmissions, just because I've never owned one that did. Wrist shifting is pretty sweet.

I am a bit confused at all the hate the DCT seems to get (actually, it's more hate directed at the people that would buy a DCT-equipped NC). Apparently folks that already own manual transmission motorcycles and would be interested in an auto don't exist?

On another, scooter-related note: does anyone know if it's possible to get parts (like a CVT belt) for an SYM RV250 at this point? Last I heard was the American SYM distributor burned down their own warehouse for the insurance money.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 4, 2013

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Radbot posted:

Of course! I tend to forget how many scoots have manual transmissions, just because I've never owned one that did. Wrist shifting is pretty sweet.

I am a bit confused at all the hate the DCT seems to get (actually, it's more hate directed at the people that would buy a DCT-equipped NC). Apparently folks that already own manual transmission motorcycles and would be interested in an auto don't exist?

On another, scooter-related note: does anyone know if it's possible to get parts (like a CVT belt) for an SYM RV250 at this point? Last I heard was the American SYM distributor burned down their own warehouse for the insurance money.

People also complain about automatic transmissions in cars, ABS/TC/ESC on anything, basically unless you're on the brink of death or things are harder than need be somehow you're not a real rider/driver/enthusiast. Oh, 4-stroke and electric start? UGH, POSER. I like my manual bike because I think shifting is fun and found it more engaging to ride than my CVT scooter, which I sold (but miss).

I think there's a market for DSG/CVT/auto motorcycles and some of those people will currently be riding manual bikes. I suspect two of the largest motorcycle manufacturers in the world (Piaggio with the Aprilia Mana, Honda with the NC700X and variants) know their markets.

As for SYM: Carter Brothers burned down, but Lance Powersports took over as the US SYM distributor and they are well-regarded. I have not heard of any issues with parts availability.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

You sound like a prime candidate to buy a small displacement supermoto. As someone who loves scooters and motorcycles, trust me, you'd love one.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sounds like GND should get a Duke 390.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

You sound like a prime candidate to buy a small displacement supermoto. As someone who loves scooters and motorcycles, trust me, you'd love one.

I have seriously considered them. Unfortunately I am on the short side with shorter legs, so a lot of them would be very unwieldy for me.

Collateral Damage posted:

Sounds like GND should get a Duke 390.

Oh, I know. I await the Duke 390 with bated breath.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do y'all kick start on the center stand or on the ground? I'm afraid I might damage the center stand, but doing it on the ground feels like all my force is being damped by the shock absorber.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

Do y'all kick start on the center stand or on the ground? I'm afraid I might damage the center stand, but doing it on the ground feels like all my force is being damped by the shock absorber.

I thought it was common practice to kick start on the center stand? I do it on both of my scooters, no issues so far with the center stands on either my Vino 125 of Buddy 50.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

rt4 posted:

Centerstand, while standing off the bike. I kickstart sometimes while on the bike (with it off the stand) like if it stalled at a light or something, but I agree with you about it feeling more effective on the stand.

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
A lot of manufacturers actually put things on the stands to prevent you from kickstarting when the bike isnot on the stand

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Really? Thats weird. I've only ever kickstarted bikes on the flat ground and it seems weird to me to think that people do it on the side or centerstand.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Really? Thats weird. I've only ever kickstarted bikes on the flat ground and it seems weird to me to think that people do it on the side or centerstand.

I wouldn't on a sidestand (if I had one) because it would be pretty unbalanced. There's definitely an ergonomics difference here between motorcycles and scooters, though. Look at where the kickstart lever is on my bike (down low, right side)

It's the same on all vintage-Vespa-type scooters. It's awkward to do (imo) from atop the bike because of how far back it is. It's a lot easier standing off the bike to the right, in which case having it on the centerstand keeps the bike still and keeps the lever from hitting the ground, as it has a very long throw.

I did the same thing with my Vino 125, as it's lever was short and IIRC even further back on the bike. It had a sidestand as well, but also had an engine cutoff if the sidestand was down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I kickstarted my motorcycle once while it was on the stand, and because I had left it in gear and had my left foot on the peg, it scooted forwards and slowly fell over. Starting with the wheels on the ground makes much more sense.

I suppose that for a little tiny engine like in a scooter you don't need a whole lot of force to get the engine spinning, though.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Anyone installed a 4-valve head? Any thoughts on performance, impact on reliability, and difficulty of the task?

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
What are some basic tools I should get to monitor/maintain my Reflex? I am thinking I need a tire pressure gauge...do I need something for my battery? I have some basic tools (wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.) but are there any specialized things I will definitely need to keep up on it, change the oil, maintain/monitor battery, etc.?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Get a tire pressure gauge, a battery tender and some fuel stabilizer for the winter. You'll also want a set of metric sockets and some screwdrivers, maybe some metrix hex drivers as well. You may also find that you need a syringe for changing the gear oil, and an especially flat container for catching the used motor oil. The drain pan I use with my car is too tall to fit under the scooter!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

that one guy posted:

What are some basic tools I should get to monitor/maintain my Reflex? I am thinking I need a tire pressure gauge...do I need something for my battery? I have some basic tools (wrenches, screwdrivers, etc.) but are there any specialized things I will definitely need to keep up on it, change the oil, maintain/monitor battery, etc.?

If you're going to do your own work you may want a spark plug socket and some feeler gauges to set valve clearance. Also a bike pump works fine for pumping up the tires, so you may want one of those too. A lot of them come with a built in pressure gauge.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005
What will I do with a battery tender? I live in CA so I will be able to ride pretty much year-round. What length of time would the scooter need to sit for me to need fuel stabilizer?

edit:

Is there a difference between this and a battery tender?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

rt4 posted:

Get a tire pressure gauge, a battery tender and some fuel stabilizer for the winter. You'll also want a set of metric sockets and some screwdrivers, maybe some metrix hex drivers as well. You may also find that you need a syringe for changing the gear oil, and an especially flat container for catching the used motor oil. The drain pan I use with my car is too tall to fit under the scooter!

I use an oil gun for my transmission oil changes and I use those cheap disposable aluminum baking pans for draining because they have so many size/shape options.

that one guy, I'd suggest trying to find a Reflex-oriented forum or a Reflex service manual and see what tools they suggest for common maintenance (or, say, find a few how-tos and see what they list as things you need). You could go buy a basic metric mechanics set from Craftsman or something to give your toolkit a solid basis. I bought something like this years ago and it has served me well. I have added to it (special socket sizes etc) as needed. Watch for sales.

that one guy posted:

What will I do with a battery tender? I live in CA so I will be able to ride pretty much year-round. What length of time would the scooter need to sit for me to need fuel stabilizer?

edit:

Is there a difference between this and a battery tender?

Battery tenders keep your battery full charged (and can be left connected for very long periods of time, unlike traditional chargers which can overcharge batteries). I don't think you need to get one unless you find that you start having battery problems or leave the bike parked for a while. Tenders are useful even if you ride pretty often because scooter batteries and charging systems tend to be very weak. For example if you do a lot of quick stop-and-go trips the charging system may not be able to re-charge what using the starter took out of the battery, so you just slowly drain it until finally...

The thing you linked is the same type of device as a Battery Tender but, honestly, the Battery Tender brand name has such a good reputation I don't see a reason to buy anything else. Just buy a Tender Jr if you need one and have it forever.

You should find out whether you have a maintenance-free battery or not and, if not, then make sure the water level is adequate (and add distilled water of it isn't).

It takes a couple months for gas to go bad. I don't even think about it unless I think I'll have the bike parked for a month or more, really.

Gay Nudist Dad fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Mar 8, 2013

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I got this sitting-for-two-years scooter running with just a new spark plug and gas. When I rev the engine it sounds like theres a pebble bouncing around, like a pinging clattering sound. Could that be valves? There's also a split seam on the muffler that I need to get fixed, but it doesnt seem to affect performance. This '89 scooter with 11,500 miles seems to take off quicker than my '01 with 6,600 miles.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
A local industrial place is looking for a instructional video production intern so I whipped up this thing to send them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V29YVft8-Ug

Shot it in my closed garage because we had 2 snowstorms recently and only had an overhead bulb and a desk lamp for illumination. I'm much better at video than audio. :/

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

A local industrial place is looking for a instructional video production intern so I whipped up this thing to send them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V29YVft8-Ug

Shot it in my closed garage because we had 2 snowstorms recently and only had an overhead bulb and a desk lamp for illumination. I'm much better at video than audio. :/

To remove the clutch :
Take an angle grinder and cut a notch in the nut (don't cut the bell obviously), place a screwdriver or something sturdier in the notch and bang on it with a hammer to rotate the nut counter clockwise (if you have someone to brake at the same time it's easier).

I've used this trick for years because I can't carry the correct wrench with me because it's too big, same trick to screw it back on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I now have the right-sized socket for removing the clutch bell. I just don't have the vise (which I use for removing the massive nut on the clutch) mounted anywhere. I just wedge the vise between my foot and the concrete stairs outside when tightening/loosening, but that makes for some bad video at the moment, as there have been a few snow storms lately.