Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanjalolz
Oct 31, 2006

Ha Ha Ha HaHa Ha
I'm not sure what gpart show corruption means - that the partition table is corrupt and needs fixing, but the data is fine?

code:
[vanjab@BOSS /]$ zpool status -v
no pools available
[vanjab@BOSS /]$ gpart show
=>       63  586070192  ada0  MBR  (279G)
         63    1930257     1  freebsd  [active]  (942M)
    1930320         63        - free -  (31k)
    1930383    1930257     2  freebsd  (942M)
    3860640       3024     3  freebsd  (1.5M)
    3863664      41328     4  freebsd  (20M)
    3904992  582165263        - free -  (277G)

=>      0  1930257  ada0s1  BSD  (942M)
        0       16          - free -  (8.0k)
       16  1930241       1  !0  (942M)

=>        34  3906975677  ada1  GPT  (1.8T) [CORRUPT]
          34         222        - free -  (111k)
         256  3906959071     1  !6a898cc3-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631  (1.8T)
  3906959327       16384     9  !6a945a3b-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631  (8.0M)

=>        34  3906975677  ada2  GPT  (1.8T) [CORRUPT]
         256  3906959071     1  !6a898cc3-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631  (1.8T)
  3906959327       16384     9  !6a945a3b-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631  (8.0M)

=>        34  3907029101  ada3  GPT  (1.8T)
         256  3907012495     1  !6a898cc3-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631  (1.8T)
  3907012751       16384     9  !6a945a3b-1dd2-11b2-99a6-080020736631  (8.0M)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
If I get a DS413, can I use two interfaces at once?

For example, USB3.0 for the computer that accesses video for editing, and gigabit for everything else in the house?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ziploc posted:

If I get a DS413, can I use two interfaces at once?

For example, USB3.0 for the computer that accesses video for editing, and gigabit for everything else in the house?

Pretty sure the usb port is for hooking usb devices TO the nas, not hooking the nas up to a PC.

On synology boxes you can plug tv tuners, network adapters, hard drives, etc... to the usb ports.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

crm posted:

I ended up getting and 5x3TB reds (ordered 6, one was DOA, going to keep the replacement as a spare) and running freenas. Aside with some weird mount finagling with plugins, everything is pretty great.

I'm running 6 of the 2TB reds in a raidz2, bought when they first came out with all the big sales. No DOA drives and they all appear to be running quite well still, gleefully saturating whichever gb nic I choose.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

You should setup LAGG if you can satuate one interface with jumboframes.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of lagg, I was just reading the documentation and apparently, it's recommended to get a switch which supports LCAP. I previously fell in love with the sleek looks and POE functions of the ubiquiti tough switch. However, people in the ubiquiti forums were bitching about its hardware features and lack of LCAP. On the contrary, HP Procurve gets mentioned a few times and a few searches yields an attractive data sheet.

If I want a 8port power over ethernet, LCAP, gigabit switch, anyone got any suggestions? And I suppose once I get a quality switch, any router with dd-wrt compatible will do right?

caberham fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Mar 7, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

vanjalolz posted:

I'm not sure what gpart show corruption means - that the partition table is corrupt and needs fixing, but the data is fine?
The GPT table being corrupt doesn't necessarily mean anything. I have that too, and it's cause is apparently not initializing a disk with gpart before putting it in a pool, IIRC.

What's more worrisome is that there isn't a pool, even tho at least one disk's OK. Try to force import?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I've got a managed linksys gige switch that does LACP that works pretty well, but it doesn't do PoE. Do you need PoE on every port or can you get by with an injector? Procurves are pretty good too, but pricier.

LACP/link bonding won't increase throughput for a single stream of data (file copy from one PC to a second PC) though, it only works in one-to-many/many-to-one situations.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
I'm looking to go to some sort of NAS solution and need advice. My main priorities are serving media to my Zotac ZBOX HTPC (an Atom 1.6 ghz with nVidia Ion), being a backup location for a laptop, low power usage, quiet (it has to go in the living room) and backing up to Crashplan in some way (if possible). I'd also like to be able to have my parents remotely backup to it. Right now I have my media and laptop backups on a 1.5tb drive on my desktop but the goal is to use less power and not have to turn on the PC (motherboard doesn't have wake-on-wifi). It would also be nice if there was a solution that would let me just put the NAS in my closed media console, where my HTPC is. It really only gets warm if I use the X-Box 360, and the door is open when I do that. Which of these options sounds best?

- Buy an eSATA enclosure, move the existing 1.5tb drive to it, and hook it up to the ZBOX. It seems as powerful as a pre-built NAS and has wake on LAN. It's running Windows 7 and XBMC, but occasionally pulls up a browser and Hulu. It could run Crashplan but I worry that adding NAS responsibilities may be too much for it. Also, if I can't put the external hard drive in my media console that means running a 6 foot cable to the ZBOX.

- Buy a Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-3.0TL. It can't do Crashplan but it looks good for everything else. I'm not sure how much power it uses.

- Buy a ZyXEL NSA325 and move the 1.5tb drive to it, and add more storage if I need it. Still doesn't do crashplan. It also sounds like Crashplan may not be possible and the lack of drive status e-mails worries me a bit.

Which of these options is the best for me? I'm leaning towards the eSATA enclosure, just because it's under $30 so if it isn't good enough I'm not out much money.

Mr Crucial
Oct 28, 2005
What's new pussycat?
I came across this the other day and I thought some people in this thread might be interested. Microsoft are giving away limited MSDN subscriptions as part of their WebsiteSpark program. You get no less than 5 licences for Server 2012 Standard so its great for anyone interested in Storage Spaces and ReFS.

You also get SQL 2012 Web and VS 2012 Pro, plus a very limited Azure account so you can host some stuff in the cloud.

http://www.microsoft.com/web/websitespark/

Kalix
May 8, 2009
So I'm debating purchasing this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107052 to use for Unraid to run stuff like SABnbzd, couch potato, plex media server, all the time.

HP Proliant N40 - 50 dollar rebate for today, total of 300. I'm either going to go this route, or build my own server. Sort of looking for whatever has the best bang for the buck, and that includes my time.

I've been looking at builds all morning, seems like theres a lot of routes to go. But frankly, I don't envision myself using more than 4-5 drives - right now I would probably just use two.

Does this look like a good way to go?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The N40L is probably the best you can get as far as bang-for-your-buck, not to mention time savings. Its only downside is it has a limited number of drive bays (which you're already aware of), and its CPU isn't beefy enough to do transcoding or any sort of real heavy lifting. But as long as you're ok with that, it's a fantastic device and you can be up and running with FreeNAS/NAS4Free (or the included WHS, I guess) in an hour or so.

Building your own server would only be a better option if there was something specific you wanted to do that you couldn't with the N40L. Like have 10 drives, trasncode, or rig it up with liquid cooling so it was virtually silent.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Kalix posted:

HP Proliant N40
Does this look like a good way to go?

Check this thread out: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=11585.0

Kalix
May 8, 2009
In terms of transcoding - is it better to do that in the server or elsewhere?
What are some options in terms of that (I guess i'm not too familiar what I'm looking for in this regard)

For example, I have a Roku Box, I want it to view the media off the server -- my understanding is that for formats the Roku can play , there is no issue...Otherwise transcoding needs to happen somewhere?

What would be a reasonable setup?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Mr Crucial posted:

I came across this the other day and I thought some people in this thread might be interested. Microsoft are giving away limited MSDN subscriptions as part of their WebsiteSpark program. You get no less than 5 licences for Server 2012 Standard so its great for anyone interested in Storage Spaces and ReFS.

You also get SQL 2012 Web and VS 2012 Pro, plus a very limited Azure account so you can host some stuff in the cloud.

No, according to the program details, you get Windows (Web) Server 2008 R2, SQL 2008 R2 and other stuff for developing .net.Disregard what I said, they've upgraded their service offers, just not their website.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 10, 2013

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
I currently have an older spec computer running unraid with 7 hard drives for a few years now, but I want to do more with it, and unraid is fairly stripped down, and slow to update. I'm happy with it other than that.

What would the next best step be? I was thinking of something like ubuntu w/flexraid, but it seems a little intimidating, plus paid with only a 14 day trial.

I know it would help to say what I want to do, but I don't really know. I just want more freedom to try things out. I've had everything running smoothly for so long I'm getting the tinker bug I guess.

Traxxus fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 10, 2013

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

Mr Crucial posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I'm trying to learn Windows Server so it's nice to have a copy for VM that doesn't expire.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender
For anyone interested in the N54L it's on sale at Newegg for $300 (after rebates) through 3/12 using code EMCYTZT3082.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Are any of the HP Smart Array cards worth a drat or even usable in a home scenario? I have a i3 based HTPC at home I want to add a bunch more storage to. I was going to throw in some sort of RAID card and 3 or 4 3TB drives. I have lots of older/spare HP server parts around here, but it seems the IBM card mentioned in this thread is the way go to for things like this.

Also I'd like to keep everything Windows based, whats the best way of managing that storage? Let the OS handle it, or stick to hardware? I'd like to be OK in the event of a hardware or software failure. The box is going to be doing lots of crap, capturing HD Video, being a plex server, a backup target, and running a few instances of iTunes, possibly in VM's.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As long as it's running an LSI chip, why the hell not? I run a pair of HP SAS3041 cards in my home server - about $20 each on eBay, with the only downside being that they won't play nice with 3TB or larger hard drives (thanks to the older LSI 1068 chipset they use). I think the IBM is only popular due to its wide availability at a low cost.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Krailor posted:

For anyone interested in the N54L it's on sale at Newegg for $300 (after rebates) through 3/12 using code EMCYTZT3082.

Tempted as I have an unopened N40L here, and the cost to upgrade to this and sell my older unopened N40L would be minimal. Any advantage to the N54L's faster processer for Freenas duty?

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
So I've convinced the wife to finally let me clear off shelf space in our apartment by ripping our DVD and Blu-Ray collection and creating a media server. Ideally I'll use the PS3 as a media front end, so I may need something pretty snappy for the HD content. I'm running gigabit so the network shouldn't take that big of a hit. Any suggestions on a tidy box that can do all of this and support RAID 5?

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Bonobos posted:

Tempted as I have an unopened N40L here, and the cost to upgrade to this and sell my older unopened N40L would be minimal. Any advantage to the N54L's faster processer for Freenas duty?

If you're using it just for Freenas I doubt that you'd see any performance difference between the N40l and N54l. The faster processor probably wouldn't be noticeable until you start doing things like running VMs, transcoding, media server front end, etc.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Krailor posted:

If you're using it just for Freenas I doubt that you'd see any performance difference between the N40l and N54l. The faster processor probably wouldn't be noticeable until you start doing things like running VMs, transcoding, media server front end, etc.

How much better is the processor over the N40L ?

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

spoon daddy posted:

Yeah that's a good question. I've read that the N40L chokes on any type of virtualization or transcoding tasks. If the N54L makes theses things possible, that just means we can do more with the NAS. Work the nominal price difference id this is the case.

Any one play with one of the new N54Ls?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

spoon daddy posted:

2.2ghz vs 1.5ghz.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What are my options for online backup services? Is there anything that's reasonably priced for 1TB+ of space? I'm not looking to sync files between devices or frequently access the backed up files. I just want to do nightly or weekly backups of one of my external drives and never plan on accessing the data unless a local hard drive fails (so bandwidth usage would be low after the initial dump of files). I'd like something with no file type restrictions that works with both Windows and OSX. Popular services like Dropbox and Mozy that I hear people talking about don't seem to be designed or priced with this use case in mind.

After some searching it seems like Backblaze, CrashPlan, Nomadesk or Carbonite (no OSX?) may fit the bill. Anyone have any experience with these services or know of something else I should add to this list?

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Bonobos posted:

Yeah that's a good question. I've read that the N40L chokes on any type of virtualization or transcoding tasks. If the N54L makes theses things possible, that just means we can do more with the NAS. Work the nominal price difference id this is the case.

Any one play with one of the new N54Ls?

I'm using ESXi 5.1 on an N54L with Fedora 17 right now, no problems so far, so I can't say it's choked. I haven't really stressed it yet though.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Crashplan is widely recommended and used by goons. I have multiple terabytes uploaded on their family plan, though it only recently dawned on me that I only actually have one computer that needs the cloud backup. Every other computer's backup needs are small enough that I can meet them with storage I already own - so now I have two Crashplan accounts set up, one as a paid single-computer with unlimited, and one as a free account, and the two are 'friends' with each other so that they can still back up computer-to-computer.

It also works wonderfully within Windows, Linux, and OSX. It's even not too much of a pain to manage on a headless Linux box, though I do wish they would optionally expose the settings to point it at a different hostname/port instead of making you edit a config file every time.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Can a UPS talk to more than one machine? I'd like to get one instead of two. Both protected machines will be in the same room. A NAS of some sort (deciding whether to keep the 412+ or not) and a normal windows machine.

I know you can USB the UPS to the NAS or computer for communication, but can a UPS talk to more than one device?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
You can do network ups talking. I think the synology supports it where one machine monitors the ups and the others are told about it by that machine.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
So I'm running Freenas latest stable and have 7 drives with a raidZ3 and 2 of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...CFUVN4AodsV4Azw

Every once in a while (few hours maybe?) the drive activity LEDs will blink in sequential order, not as if they are reading but as if they are checking something. Is this normal, has anyone else had this experience, and if so, what is going on when this happens?

yomisei
Mar 18, 2011

Megaman posted:

So I'm running Freenas latest stable and have 7 drives with a raidZ3 and 2 of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...CFUVN4AodsV4Azw

Every once in a while (few hours maybe?) the drive activity LEDs will blink in sequential order, not as if they are reading but as if they are checking something. Is this normal, has anyone else had this experience, and if so, what is going on when this happens?

My guess would be SMART, by default it should check the drives every 30 minutes or something.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

yomisei posted:

My guess would be SMART, by default it should check the drives every 30 minutes or something.

So I asked this a while back in the thread but im going to ask it again because I didn't really get the answer I was looking for and it still is bothering me since it's KINDA still happening.

Same setup, 7 drives, 2 supermicro bays, 4 sata plugged into an expansion raid card but not using the raid on the card, and 3 plugged into the motherboard. Raidz3. Here and there I've gotten checksum errors, but all smart runs say the drive are ok. I've swapped all SATA cables, and ports. and every once in a blue moon I get maybe 20 on 2 drives, then nothing for a very long time. Is this something to be ignored? Or is this for me to fear as a drive might fail soon? These are all brand new drives ordered all at once from the same manufacturer. I've read that I should REALLY only be concerned if there are read/write errors to the drives, or a massive amount of checksum errors.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Megaman posted:

So I asked this a while back in the thread but im going to ask it again because I didn't really get the answer I was looking for and it still is bothering me since it's KINDA still happening.

Same setup, 7 drives, 2 supermicro bays, 4 sata plugged into an expansion raid card but not using the raid on the card, and 3 plugged into the motherboard. Raidz3. Here and there I've gotten checksum errors, but all smart runs say the drive are ok. I've swapped all SATA cables, and ports. and every once in a blue moon I get maybe 20 on 2 drives, then nothing for a very long time. Is this something to be ignored? Or is this for me to fear as a drive might fail soon? These are all brand new drives ordered all at once from the same manufacturer. I've read that I should REALLY only be concerned if there are read/write errors to the drives, or a massive amount of checksum errors.

Test your ram?

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Don Lapre posted:

Test your ram?

With memtest? Will do, thanks

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
Just hooked up 15 of the 3TB Red Drives today that we ordered for some nas boxes. None of them DOA but they haven't been written to yet either. Surprising I guess, given how many people were reporting DOA drives I'd expect at least one.

Kalix
May 8, 2009
Gah - hopefully I don't regret the N40, N54L went on sale the next day.

So i've also read about the high failure rate on the RED Western Digital Drives.
Is it just the 3TB or the 2TB as well?

Is it reasonable to go with these, or should I opt for something else?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Kalix posted:

Gah - hopefully I don't regret the N40, N54L went on sale the next day.

So i've also read about the high failure rate on the RED Western Digital Drives.
Is it just the 3TB or the 2TB as well?

Is it reasonable to go with these, or should I opt for something else?

They're great drives, people have all sorts of anecdotal experiences with hard drives. Once in awhile you get a DOA or problematic drive regardless of brand, the vast majority are fine. I have a mixed setup with Seagates, WD Greens, WD Reds, etc and they're all solid these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'm having a hard time deciding if I want to plonk down enough disks (and give up some disk space) for two disk redundancy.

How do you make that decision?