Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

ilkhan posted:

Looks like every other 911 of the last decade.

That's.. Kind of the whole porsche paradigm. Fine refinement rather than facelifts and overhauls every few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

fknlo posted:

Here, a GTI with basically the same options as my TDI is about 1.5-2k more. I expect the GTD to be in the $28k range.

According to the VW website the most basic GTI is $43,776.73AUD so 28 sounds like a downright bargain

I still don't see why you'd buy a GTD over a GTI though, its only a few dollars more

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

dissss posted:

I still don't see why you'd buy a GTD over a GTI though, its only a few dollars more

Same fun, less fuel usage?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I just don't think the fun factor is there though

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I could have missed it but has this been posted yet?

Looks pretty nice. I wonder what kind of weight this adds to the car.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/02/toyota-gt-86-convertible-leaked-ahead-of-geneva-motor-show-debut.html

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Haha so apparently the GT3 PDK box can simulate a clutch kick. Per Andreas Prueninger you can pull both shift paddles to engage "donut mode" :swoon:

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Puddin posted:

I could have missed it but has this been posted yet?

Looks pretty nice. I wonder what kind of weight this adds to the car.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2013/02/toyota-gt-86-convertible-leaked-ahead-of-geneva-motor-show-debut.html

Not in this thread, but then again, this thread is completely devoid of news on the frs/gt86/brz because it has its own thread (not being snarky).

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Admirable Gusto posted:

Haha so apparently the GT3 PDK box can simulate a clutch kick. Per Andreas Prueninger you can pull both shift paddles to engage "donut mode" :swoon:

Does "rocker arms" in that video mean desmodromic valves?

e: in an example of not great product placement, a Hyundai Tucson got stuck in a small mud puddle in the Walking Dead.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Mar 5, 2013

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

kimbo305 posted:

e: in an example of not great product placement, a Hyundai Tucson got stuck in a small mud puddle in the Walking Dead.
Yeah, I was wondering about that. The Hyundai was clearly placed since the badging, etc was displayed so prominently, but ... it got stuck...

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Admirable Gusto posted:

It also acts as a clutch drop if you want to peel out in a non-launch control sanitized fashion. I'd really like to drive the refined power steering and pdk. I found the new Boxster's steering lacking but the new PDK was a vast improvement over the last gen. So, I really want to play with this car. The new engine also has me a little worried. The old engine is battle tested. This engine is "all new". I'm wondering how well it'll really handle track duty.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 5, 2013

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Ferrari LaFerrari:

It's... interesting.

eames
May 9, 2009

echoplex posted:

Ferrari LaFerrari:

It's... interesting.

The new Ferrari TheFerrari. :doh:

They claim its 2 seconds faster to 186 mph than the McLaren P1.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/new-ferrari-laferrari-pictures-geneva-2013-03-05

I’m not a fan of the design. It looks quite hideous from some angles... I’d rather have a production version of the P4/5 with whatever drivetrain the TheFerrari has in it. 963 hp, yikes.

eames fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 5, 2013

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Aurune posted:

It also acts as a clutch drop if you want to peel out in a non-launch control sanitized fashion. I'd really like to drive the refined power steering and pdk. I found the new Boxster's steering lacking but the new PDK was a vast improvement over the last gen. So, I really want to play with this car. The new engine also has me a little worried. The old engine is battle tested. This engine is "all new". I'm wondering how well it'll really handle track duty.

The 991 GT3 Cup keeps the Mezger engine while the base GT3 has a modified DFI engine. That says a lot right there.

I'm super excited for the car but Andreas Preuninger almost seemed to be apologizing for some of the technology that found its way into the 991 GT3. Porsche's site has the car at $130k base though, that's about $20k lower than I was expecting. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on 997.1 GT3 prices this summer.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

The 991 GT3 Cup keeps the Mezger engine while the base GT3 has a modified DFI engine. That says a lot right there.

I'm super excited for the car but Andreas Preuninger almost seemed to be apologizing for some of the technology that found its way into the 991 GT3. Porsche's site has the car at $130k base though, that's about $20k lower than I was expecting. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on 997.1 GT3 prices this summer.

In fairness, he does mention that the DFI engine is likely to make it in to the Cup car. Either way, even though his spiel is pretty convincing (I'm sure he did pretty well with the German ladies :v:), I'm still not completely sold on it all as a package. I guess we'll see if these changes make it up to the GT3 RS/Cup Car.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

dissss posted:

I just don't think the fun factor is there though

I bought my TDI because it's actually decently fun to drive for something that's giving me almost 40mpg in combined driving on winter fuel. Giving it more hp and a slightly sportier suspension would probably add to the fun factor.

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

It really doesn't say anything besides race teams run the GT3 Cups are already burning a ton of cash. Another few/tens of thousands of dollars for a low production mezger doesn't outweigh the benefit of an engine platform they have over a decade of support for that still is competitive due to horsepower restrictions. You can probably count on your hand how many GT3 owners would actually pay another 20k for the same performance but have their ~~~mezger~~~

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

I'm keeping an eye out for motivated sellers during sequestration, especially around DC; I have a feeling there'll be some great deals to be had on 911s over the next few months.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
The Alfa 4C:
http://www.socialnetwall.alfaromeo.com/c/alfa-romeo-4c/world-premiere-alfa/32207

Dual-clutch dry transmission
No power steering because the car is so light (!)
236hp, 350 Nm engine, 80% of the torque is available at 1750rpm
4.5s to 100kph, 250kph top speed (I'm guessing that is electronically limited?)

edit: erm, I'm not sure why I thought it used a sump

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 5, 2013

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

eames posted:

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/new-ferrari-laferrari-pictures-geneva-2013-03-05

I’m not a fan of the design. It looks quite hideous from some angles... I’d rather have a production version of the P4/5 with whatever drivetrain the TheFerrari has in it. 963 hp, yikes.

This and the new Lambo are both wonderful, wonderful childhood wet dreams :allears:.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Kenshin posted:

The Alfa 4C:
http://www.socialnetwall.alfaromeo.com/c/alfa-romeo-4c/world-premiere-alfa/32207

Dual-clutch dry sump transmission
No power steering because the car is so light (!)
236hp, 350 Nm engine, 80% of the torque is available at 1750rpm
4.5s to 100kph, 250kph top speed (I'm guessing that is electronically limited?)

Well this was a confusing post.

The transmission uses dry clutches, like a Ford Fiesta. It's not a dry sump.

I thought they were going for 300hp on the engine? That's exactly the same as the one used in the Giulietta.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Muffinpox posted:

It really doesn't say anything besides race teams run the GT3 Cups are already burning a ton of cash. Another few/tens of thousands of dollars for a low production mezger doesn't outweigh the benefit of an engine platform they have over a decade of support for that still is competitive due to horsepower restrictions. You can probably count on your hand how many GT3 owners would actually pay another 20k for the same performance but have their ~~~mezger~~~

It's not so much the Mezger specifically but the fact that the road-going GT3 had a direct lineage to their motorsport program. Most owners that track their GT3s appreciate the fact that it's same family of engine that is used in Porsche's competitive motorsport program. I don't give a poo poo who makes the engine or where it came from in my track car, I want to know that it's going to hold up on the track.

That's not to say the 9A1 won't hold up well with all those special parts, it's that no one really knows. The first GT3 that came to the states had a well-established history in motorsport up to that point. Teams spent hundreds of hours torturing the engines and its weak points were identified long before it was used in a production car. That can't be said for this round of the GT3.

Peppi
May 17, 2011

by Lowtax

eames posted:

Red roof makes it a ton better. Photoshop by PorscheFanatic on teamspeed forums:

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

I thought they were going for 300hp on the engine? That's exactly the same as the one used in the Giulietta.

There is supposed to be a "racing" version later on with 280-300 hp and possibly a one-make racing series. The 895 kg dry weight is a nice achievement.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

It's not so much the Mezger specifically but the fact that the road-going GT3 had a direct lineage to their motorsport program. Most owners that track their GT3s appreciate the fact that it's same family of engine that is used in Porsche's competitive motorsport program. I don't give a poo poo who makes the engine or where it came from in my track car, I want to know that it's going to hold up on the track.

That's not to say the 9A1 won't hold up well with all those special parts, it's that no one really knows. The first GT3 that came to the states had a well-established history in motorsport up to that point. Teams spent hundreds of hours torturing the engines and its weak points were identified long before it was used in a production car. That can't be said for this round of the GT3.

Are we at the point yet where we admit to ourselves that the 991 GT3 is just another sign that Porsche is moving away towards making street cars that are meant to be driven on the track?

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Residency Evil posted:

Are we at the point yet where we admit to ourselves that the 991 GT3 is just another sign that Porsche is moving away towards making street cars that are meant to be driven on the track?

I know I have. I expect the cognoscenti will start hoarding pre-DFI Turbos and GT3s, which is going to keep the prices annoyingly high. Oh well so much for ~my bargain 996 GT3~

eames
May 9, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I assume they are going to save that kind of horsepower for the inevitable quadrifoglio verde version.

It’s nice that they managed to keep the weight down for this and didn’t repeat the Brera disaster, the 4C could be a very interesting DD with track qualities although the new Cayman is hard to beat.

What boggles my mind is how they could mess up the headlight design so badly.

This is the Geneva 2011 concept:

Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este 2012:

Geneva 2013, presumably close to production:

"oh hey, lets throw in some Smart Roadster design for good measure, it's going to be awesome" Why? WHY? :doh:

eames fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 5, 2013

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Residency Evil posted:

Counterpoint: Boxster Spyder and Cayman R. The 911 chassis is being ever so incrementally turned into more of a european touring car and less of a pure sports car. 991 GT3 should really be 981 GT3. Everyone else realizes it, why doesn't Porsche?

grover fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 5, 2013

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

lotustit.jpg

eames
May 9, 2009

grover posted:

Counterpoint: Boxster Spyder and Cayman R. The 911 chassis is being ever so incrementally turned into more of a european touring car and less of a pure sports car. 991 GT3 should really be 981 GT3. Everyone else realizes it, why doesn't Porsche?

Oh I think they realise it but can’t act on it because it would devalue their iconic flagship 911 line.

Similar things have happened in the past, like the mid-engine 914/6 which was discontinued because the "poor man's Porsche" with a lowly 911T mid engine turned out to be a superior concept in terms of handling and performance.
So they priced it so high that everybody would just go for the (much better looking) 911T instead.

eames fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 5, 2013

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
I think the lights look better on the white car with the carbon fibre surrounds:

More pictures: http://www.autopareri.com/Alfa-Romeo-al-salone-di-Ginevra-1519.html

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

eames posted:

I assume they are going to save that kind of horsepower for the inevitable quadrifoglio verde version.

It’s nice that they managed to keep the weight down for this and didn’t repeat the Brera disaster, the 4C could be a very interesting DD with track qualities although the new Cayman is hard to beat.

What boggles my mind is how they could mess up the headlight design so badly.

This is the Geneva 2011 concept:

Concorso d’Eleganza Villa d’Este 2012:

Geneva 2013, presumably close to production:

"oh hey, lets throw in some Smart Roadster design for good measure, it's going to be awesome" Why? WHY? :doh:

What ever happened with bringing the MiTo to the US? Did that get shelved because the 500 isn't selling as well as they planned?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

grover posted:

Definitely, and these may be what I ultimately end up picking up. The part of me that's wanted a 911 since I was 12 keeps on playing into Porsche's marketing strategy though. :ohdear:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Augmented Dickey posted:

What ever happened with bringing the MiTo to the US? Did that get shelved because the 500 isn't selling as well as they planned?

The Abarth basically covers the MiTo's target market, and Alfa won't be a live brand in the US until the next gen MiTo replacement comes out, at the earliest.

If you believe that those lights are going on a production 4C I have some uranium enrichment facilities in Iran to sell you.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

If you believe that those lights are going on a production 4C I have some uranium enrichment facilities in Iran to sell you.

So why are they even there to start with?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Residency Evil posted:

Definitely, and these may be what I ultimately end up picking up. The part of me that's wanted a 911 since I was 12 keeps on playing into Porsche's marketing strategy though. :ohdear:

Exactly...I see this red Cayman S driving around town and it's 1) a stunningly gorgeous car, 2) everything I've read about it makes it sound like a driver's wet dream even moreso than a 911.

But I still want a 911 more! It makes no sense.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Residency Evil posted:

I don't get why people would think this. Like grover has said, of all manufacturers that still make a car that people can drive on the track, Porsche is still at the very top.
Think about GM bragged about tuning the Camaro to be track ready, producing the ZL1. All the mods and testing and tuning time. All of that is nothing in comparison to how much work Porsche is putting in to make the new GT3 every bit of a great drive at the track as it can be.

The GT3, despite all the design changes, is still very much a hardcore sports car.

Issues like putting in the new engine and unfriendly warranty policies should not detract from how hard they are working to make a car that can survive track driving, which of course is still massively lighter duty than any form of racing.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

The Midniter posted:

Exactly...I see this red Cayman S driving around town and it's 1) a stunningly gorgeous car, 2) everything I've read about it makes it sound like a driver's wet dream even moreso than a 911.

But I still want a 911 more! It makes no sense.
Makes no sense that you'd want an extra hundred or so horsepower more than you can get in a Cayman? Porsche may be losing the horsepower wars, but that fun pedal is still awfully fun.

I'm just upset 997.2S is holding it's value so well. GET CHEAP, DAMMIT!

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

grover posted:

I'm just upset 997.2S is holding it's value so well. GET CHEAP, DAMMIT!

Yeah, I know. Rennlist is full of people dumping all sorts of metal today but nothing cheap. I figure they're guessing people who want to snap up the last of the "real" 911s are willing to pay a premium and that'll allow them to put their order in on some 991 GT3 fun.

If I could get a 997.1 GT3 cheap enough I'd just bring it over to Sharkwerks and have them bore it out to 3.9. I figure that should be way more car than I will ever have the talent to drive to the limit.

eames
May 9, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That white car is the 4C Launch Edition which can be preordered starting today. Deliveries will begin in July/September. I imagine randomly changing something as significant as the headlight design just 5 months before delivery would not go well with the preorderers.

I genuinely think that those headlights ruined the whole car’s appeal for me. The Cayman on the other hand still looks much better than I ever expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I suppose it's not really a "new" car as such, but coming back from the airport last night I got one of the new Lincoln MKT limos. Speaking as a passenger, those are loving nice cars/CUVs. I was always a little worried what would happen when the Town Car reached the end of its life, but I'm pretty happy with the new one (again, speaking only as a passenger).