Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Aren't used cars considerably cheaper in the UK though?

If TG UK hasn't lied, then yes.

I remember an episode many seasons ago when they came to America (the special from Florida to New Orleans I think) where they were complaining about the used car prices in 'MURICA :911:. Apparently our market is hosed over compared to the UK for used car prices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, they came over expecting to find cheap fords and chevys all over the place. Kind of annoying if you want to buy a car, not too bad if you want to sell one. Though you always get the moron thinking his car is worth more than any other car. I saw an ad today for a 92 MR2 with a new paint job for 7500 dollars. Sorry dude, a clean retail price is 5K.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
They only got $1000 to spend for the US special though, which is already way less than 」1500 even before the conversion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah, that was kind of stupid. As of right now, that's only 660 pounds. They should have gone for two to three thousand.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, that was kind of stupid. As of right now, that's only 660 pounds. They should have gone for two to three thousand.

The did do a 100 pounds car challenge, they bought three used cars and drove to Old Trafford and back. S4E3, I believe. Which sucks for :911: you know, if that is the case.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I loved how quickly that Bugeye was changing direction while towing. Dance, Subie, dance! :dance:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

mobby_6kl posted:

Great special so far, hopefully part 2 will continue delivering.

While Jezza's BMW was quite expected, I really have no idea how May could think that a lowered turbo brick with huge wheels and skinny tires is a good car to bring to Africa. Didn't they make crossover V70s before that became cool? Because that's what I'd get if I had to have a Volvo.

Especially after bragging about how anybody who doesnt buy an 80's Mercedes for an African adventure is an absolute idiot.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Foehammer007 posted:

The did do a 100 pounds car challenge, they bought three used cars and drove to Old Trafford and back. S4E3, I believe.
Correct.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
go go volvo

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm also reluctant to believe May found an 850R in that condition for £1500. £3k maybe. Unless an MOT wasn't a requirement, but even then.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Never mind the 850R, how did Hammond find an Impreza WRX wagon that wasn't blown up or beat to hell for less than 」1500?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

KozmoNaut posted:

Never mind the 850R, how did Hammond find an Impreza WRX wagon that wasn't blown up or beat to hell for less than 」1500?

Maybe bought at auction as part-ex's or insurance write offs?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I believe that few series back there was some controversy because BBC rules mean that the production team have to tell the person they want to buy from what the car will be used for (Top Gear; caravan dropped on it, ect). Sometimes they use the fact that they are from Top Gear to get a better deal.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Who cares how they bought the car or what the price was. It's a scripted entertainment show.

Great episode. As a lifelong Subaru nerd, Hammond's little bugeye warmed my heart.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

KozmoNaut posted:

Depends on what is broken on the WRX. It's already been established that the electrical parts of the BMW are pretty much shot, and the Volvo has at least a defective airco.
Seems to me like these are cars which have already failed an MOT, but they have so much wrong with them that they're not economically viable for repair.

Some failure with the emission controls (like a well oiled catalyst) will fail an MOT and be quite expensive to replace, while it won't stop the car from being drivable at all. And it pretty much reduces the value of the car to its scrap value.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

KozmoNaut posted:

Boom you could probably do it fairly easily with some careful ebay/autotrader scouring. Used cars are crazy cheap over here, probably because most people are broke and there's a ton of choice out there.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
So sure, putting Tanner into the Buggatti and McLaren was a bit forced, but the part of Rutledge delivering it was a very funny way of doing it.

And besides, Tanner being matched by Carl Edwards was worth it.

Doctor Zaius posted:

The Toto section was magical, can't wait for the second part.

Was gonna say this. Song fit so perfectly.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

jammyozzy posted:

Boom you could probably do it fairly easily with some careful ebay/autotrader scouring. Used cars are crazy cheap over here, probably because most people are broke and there's a ton of choice out there.

Well, gently caress. 99% of all Subarus for sale here are 2.0 non-turbo Legacies and the odd Impreza and Justy.

Cheapest WRX around here is a 2005 STI with 205.000km at ~」20200 :smith:

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica

Some gifs I found of the latest episode.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

kloa posted:

If TG UK hasn't lied, then yes.

I remember an episode many seasons ago when they came to America (the special from Florida to New Orleans I think) where they were complaining about the used car prices in 'MURICA :911:. Apparently our market is hosed over compared to the UK for used car prices.
Healthcare, used cars, everything in America is SO OVERPRICED!

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Foehammer007 posted:

Some gifs I found of the latest episode.

This is every Subaru owner in winter.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

You can buy a 10yr old mid-range 5-series for 」1000-1500 no problem as long as you're not one of those people who still thinks 100k miles means a car is ready for the scrapyard.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Deedle posted:

Depends on what is broken on the WRX. It's already been established that the electrical parts of the BMW are pretty much shot, and the Volvo has at least a defective airco.

I'm going to have to "defend" Volvo here & say the aircon might be working as good as it was when it rolled off the production line. I've never been in a pre 2004 Volvo with good aircon, even it can be proven to be working.

Heated seats however, the Swedish are gods at that poo poo

NorchaiOdd
Feb 21, 2013

Sweevo posted:

You can buy a 10yr old mid-range 5-series for 」1000-1500 no problem as long as you're not one of those people who still thinks 100k miles means a car is ready for the scrapyard.

True, lol... If you know how to fix the car and/or have drug deal with your local shop well...

NorchaiOdd fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 5, 2013

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Cakefool posted:

I'm going to have to "defend" Volvo here & say the aircon might be working as good as it was when it rolled off the production line. I've never been in a pre 2004 Volvo with good aircon, even it can be proven to be working.

Heated seats however, the Swedish are gods at that poo poo

In my 850R the aircon worked and the heated seats didn't.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Cakefool posted:

Heated seats however,

You just reminded me of that heated seat game clip. My parents used to own a nightmare ford mondeo, the heated seat switch was on the base of the seat next to the door, so it was very easy to accidentally turn it on as you got in. I got a burnt arse nearly everytime I rode up front.

Jut
May 16, 2005

by Ralp
So I've been watching some of the older TG challenges, and I think I have figured out why the last few series have been pretty lovely. They newer series challenges are either more scripted, or the older episodes managed to hide their scripting better, or a combination of the two.
Go back and watch the cheap supercar challenge or the cheap Porsche one and you will see what I mean.

Phelan
Dec 23, 2004

Jut posted:

Go back and watch the cheap supercar challenge or the cheap Porsche one and you will see what I mean.

The cheap super car challenge is by far my favorite. The cars, the music, the feel of the whole thing is just so much more natural and fun

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Jut posted:

I love the cheap Porsche challenge. The part where Jeremy starts laughing in the narration when James' 944 spewed oil all over its pristine engine bay is always funny for me.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Nothing on yesterday's Top Gear US? Nothing at all? Adam drives the Ford GT40 that won LeMans in 1966, and not a peep? And then races a GT40 replica against a (somewhat) modern Ferrari, and nobody cares?

The other segments weren't bad but they weren't good, but the initial segment was amazing.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

I love the cheap Porsche challenge. The part where Jeremy starts laughing in the narration when James' 944 spewed oil all over its pristine engine bay is always funny for me.

Not to mention May's self-satisfied expression when he does a four inch peel out for the elevenses challenge right after.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
http://www.gumtree.com/p/cars-vans-motorbikes/volvo-850-r/1010717761#gallery-item-full-2
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2000-BMW-528I-TOURING-SILVER-/321080306730?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item4ac1e0ac2a
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-SUBA...=item35c4dd4d6b

Easy enough, and that's without negotiating.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Car American football was pretty awesome.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Squid gun was the best part.

eunos
Nov 27, 2003

CornHolio posted:

Nothing on yesterday's Top Gear US? Nothing at all? Adam drives the Ford GT40 that won LeMans in 1966, and not a peep? And then races a GT40 replica against a (somewhat) modern Ferrari, and nobody cares?

The other segments weren't bad but they weren't good, but the initial segment was amazing.

Awesome. Maybe I'll have to take back my pissing and moaning about the one trick pony "Tanner always driving the cool stuff" approach to TGUSA.
I'll have to watch it tonight; I just usually catch it on Comcast on demand and I don't actually know when it's "on".
Thanks for the excited synopsis; I'm stoked!

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

eunos posted:

Awesome. Maybe I'll have to take back my pissing and moaning about the one trick pony "Tanner always driving the cool stuff" approach to TGUSA.
I'll have to watch it tonight; I just usually catch it on Comcast on demand and I don't actually know when it's "on".
Thanks for the excited synopsis; I'm stoked!

Don't get your hopes up too much, Tanner still ends up doing the real driving for both cars. It was nice to see them try and give Adam and Rutledge a little more time driving cool stuff though.
I was really just happy they finally stopped pretending that Tanner isn't the stig. Overall I thought it was a good episode and a nice first (?) attempt at the car-sport staple of Top Gear UK.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

T1g4h posted:

Also, would these technically count as spoilers?

I guess so. That chair probably does provide a lot of downforce at speed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

davebo posted:

I guess so. That chair probably does provide a lot of downforce at speed.

It also ruins the joke for anyone who sill hasn't seen the episode.
:rimshot:

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Only just caught up with part 1 of the Africa special and wow, I think it's one of the best specials they've done in years. So many memories of Kampala and Uganda came flooding back, and I'm super excited for them to reach Tanzania next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

CornHolio posted:

I had a good laugh when Rut was walking away after accusing Adam and Tanner of conspiring, and Adam said something like, "You know what that is? That's the bigfoot film from the 70s."