Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

vuk83 posted:

PTN how do you actually run the game. Do you use a tabletop map or just on the computer. and how about the die rolling?

The map is done digitally. I used to manually update it every turn until I realized I was overcomplicating things; now I do my updates in Gimp and just throw the players around. That also gives me options for potentially prettying up the map on the next few turns, I'm experimenting with some things now.

Die rolling is done manually with a dice box, because streaky as my dice are random number generators are worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I've noticed streaking in random number generators as well, I really should buy myself a new set of dice...

I'd like for you to go into how you make your map and such in more detail though, that's always useful information!

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
He consults the Necronomicon every now and then and then cackles while rolling dice.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

landcollector posted:

The Gargoyle's ER Small Laser should hit as well.

That heavy laser modifier shouldn't be there.

Oh boy please let it hit!

G1 Phoenix Hawk Achievements and Trivia:
- It kicked our Atlas in the leg, obtaining the lucky crit that blew it's leg off.
- It pushed our Mad Dog into the water for the coup de grace
- It's got: 10/15 armor left leg, 2/4 armor rear left torso, 2/18 armor left torso, 9/18 armor right torso, 0/23 armor center torso, 1/8 structure left arm, and a blown-off right arm.

I think PXH-1 is the configuration being used, with these weapons:
Machine Gun RA
Medium Laser RA
Large Laser RA
Machine Gun LA
Medium Laser LA
Ammo: MG (200) CT

Which means that this poor guy is down to the medium laser and machine gun on the left arm. If this guy survives, it's probably going to win OpFor MVP.

enigma74 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 3, 2013

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

enigma74 posted:

Oh boy please let it hit!

G1 Phoenix Hawk Achievements and Trivia:
- It kicked our Atlas in the leg, obtaining the lucky crit that blew it's leg off.
- It pushed our Mad Dog into the water for the coup de grace.
- It's got: 10/15 armor left leg, 2/4 armor rear left torso, 2/18 armor left torso, 9/18 armor right torso, 0/23 armor center torso, 1/8 structure left arm, and a blown-off right arm.

I think PXH-1 is the configuration being used, with these weapons:
Machine Gun RA
Medium Laser RA
Large Laser RA
Machine Gun LA
Medium Laser LA
Ammo: MG (200) CT

Which means that this poor guy is down to the medium laser and machine gun on the left arm. If this guy survives, it's probably going to win OpFor MVP.

Just a ML actually. The model in question is a PHX-1D.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005

landcollector posted:

Just a ML actually. The model in question is a PHX-1D.

Aww, I was hoping the machine gun ammo in the CT would be vulnerable. C'mon ER small laser...

seekerwithin
Oct 29, 2011

SageNytell posted:

Orders in!

This. Mr. Rifleman has a nice place to hide from everything but his target. He's gonna go there. (Hi Mr. Battlemaster! Please enjoy the laser light show!)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

landcollector posted:

The Gargoyle's ER Small Laser should hit as well.

That heavy laser modifier shouldn't be there.

What heavy laser modifier? Stop pointing out things that didn't happen! :argh:

I'm kidding, please continue to point out my mistakes. Next time I do a mission this huge, I'm going to bring in an editor to catch things before I take them live. That way I'll have someone to blame when I gently caress up a second set of eyes to help out.

Ok, I wasn't going to spoil episode 5, but this is something even I can't resist.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 4, 2013

Pringlescan4
Jul 6, 2006
Grimey Drawer
What? Do freeborn scum not have the ability to grow the area between their nose and mouth to indicate scorn and amusement?

Yet another way they fall short of inbred trueborn perfection!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I am legit terrified of that image.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Hey Nicholai, why the long face?

:smugdog:

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
:frogout:
And I say that with love, man.

I think I'm more concerned on these turns where I'm not directly moving around and shooting than in the turns where I'm in the poo poo with guns pointed in my face. :ohdear:

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Mar 4, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Episode 5 status: Annotation Complete!

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
Aha....too narrow for the big guns!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Next time I do a mission this huge, I'm going to bring in an editor to catch things before I take them live. That way I'll have someone to blame when I gently caress up a second set of eyes to help out

I volunteer. This is something I do pretty well (proofing technical content is part of my job as a technical writer).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's amazing how much easier it is to miss things when you're the one who wrote it. It looks right, after all. Even when the wrongness is punching the reader square in the comprehension.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'd need to re-memorize every hit modifier on the chart (I used to know them all!) but i suppose I would help.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's kind of a mental trick to proof-reading something you've written. You have to force your brain to pretend it's never seen this content before, and you also have to force your brain to read every individual character (normally sight-readers will read one or more words at a time, as whole patterns, rather than individual letters). You may do that for one pass looking for typos, and then do additional passes looking for other types of problems (for prose, grammatical errors, style problems, formatting, inconsistencies, etc.; for technical information, accuracy of facts/figures, bugs in code examples, circular references, misleading data, etc.).

For sanity-checking technical information, you need to verify every fact, figure, statement, etc., which requires having a good knowledge of (or quick reference to) the source material. Fortunately I think I have PDFs of the rules PTN is working from, and I can also check against the previous update's status reports for inconsistency problems (mech shoots with a weapon previously destroyed, some points of armor disappear from mech, etc.).

Not surprisingly, practice improves performance. I've been doing this professionally for about 13 years now, so I've got a knack for it, but I still will sometimes miss something (often because I was lazy and didn't bother to carefully proof the copy).

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 4, 2013

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I'm not entirely sure what you can really get from stealing those things in the episode, besides some cool suits to use on special ops later on. Reverse-engineering isn't really a thing people ever managed all that well in the Inner Sphere, and it would take several years to implement the stuff found the- eh, whatever.

My faulty memory had that episode ending on the big laugh from the Falcons after the reveal. It would certainly feel like a better edited episode if it did.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Don't worry guys! By stealing these tiny, dinky little battlesuits, we shall unlock the secret behind XL Engines! :pseudo:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
You say that like it's a joke, but then Episode 7 happens.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Rorahusky posted:

Don't worry guys! By stealing these tiny, dinky little battlesuits, we shall unlock the secret behind XL Engines! :pseudo:

Redacted are DINKY?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AtomikKrab posted:

Redacted are DINKY?

Spoken like a goddamn knucklewhuffer who doesn't drive a Defiance machine, DOCTOR BITCH.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
They're only 1000 KG. They're practically the medium `Mechs of the Battle Armor world.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

AtomikKrab posted:

Redacted are DINKY?

... Any time I see "DINK" I always think

Double Income No Kids

And now I'm seeing Double Income No Kids YOLO!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Not this guy?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

PoptartsNinja posted:

They're only 1000 KG. They're practically the medium `Mechs of the Battle Armor world.

Exactly, they are not dinky lights, nice solid mediums.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
I'm trying to remain aloof, but this show has some nonsensical poo poo I wouldn't have put up with even as a small child. For instance, Steiner dude starts chewing out female teammate about 'the mission', but she didn't do poo poo. The mild medical sedative they gave the guard was wearing off so she shot him in the chest, triggering alarms. But if she had moved on when told the guard still would have gotten up and tripped the alarm anyway two seconds later. Even as a five year old I think I'd have thought the writing was stupid. Also would have hated the asian sterotypes. I would have enjoyed the gently caress out the cheesy CGI lasers though.

edit: I take everything back. The clans setting up all their forces around Ciro because only a heartless bastard would leave a teammate in prison, while the gang :fap: to clan tech is amazing.

cafel fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 5, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Maulers are 90 tons, not 80, PTN. I hope whoever made that mistake got fired, am I right?

I also feel like giving someone a whole shitload of mild sedatives doesn't knock them out more, it probably just does bad things to your kidneys and liver. The Strikers have the worst loving color scheme of any unit ever, and I'm including the Davion Guard in that.

I maybe don't remember if they mentioned it because I can only watch this show when I'm almost falling-down drunk but what is the significance of these dudes and their bling they keep on a necklace? Ciro has his and its a big deal and then when Mulletor pulls one out I'm supposed to be like "ho poo poo dude" right? But I don't know what their medallion is supposed to be. Maybe they just shop at the same Deep Periphery Gift Shop, I don't loving know.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 5, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's a Star League Defense Force medal. Ciro's was passed down through his family for generations. Nicolai has one because he couldn't be as colossal an rear end in a top hat if he didn't.

Also, I'm pretty sure I mentioned the Mauler was 90 tons.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Pretty sure one annotation was "too narrow for big guns but not for an 80 ton Mauler." I would check but I just can't hear to go through that again.

Bitter_one13
Jan 2, 2012

God damn, you're worse than useless; you're actually harmful!

Farseli posted:

After playing some battletech firestorm at the local pod arcade (man, simulator pods are fun) I have much more respect for these guys. Piloting is hard....and shooting is too. Also, orders in. More PPC fun!

I had no issue piloting at all. :colbert:

Now a certain racing game set on Mars... :suicide:

Bitter_one13 fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Mar 5, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

cafel posted:

I'm trying to remain aloof, but this show has some nonsensical poo poo I wouldn't have put up with even as a small child.
Don't ever watch any nostalgic cartoons man, you're going to be so disappointed in five year old you's intelligence.

Defiance Industries posted:

I also feel like giving someone a whole shitload of mild sedatives doesn't knock them out more, it probably just does bad things to your kidneys and liver. The Strikers have the worst loving color scheme of any unit ever, and I'm including the Davion Guard in that.
You mean no colour scheme?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Arquinsiel posted:

Don't ever watch any nostalgic cartoons man, you're going to be so disappointed in five year old you's intelligence.

I learned this the hard way when the old 80s Voltron popped up on Netflix. I refuse to watch any more of my old childhood cartoons now. They're so, so bad.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Arquinsiel posted:

A lot of old Cartoon Network stuff still totally owns. Cartoon Planet is a weekly must-watch for me.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Generally I find that either I was or still am a moron with no taste.

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

Q_res posted:

I learned this the hard way when the old 80s Voltron popped up on Netflix. I refuse to watch any more of my old childhood cartoons now. They're so, so bad.

Yeah, Robotech did it for me, I was so excited to get the boxset when I was like 23. I haven't ever gotten past like disk 2 :(

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Axe-man posted:

Yeah, Robotech did it for me, I was so excited to get the boxset when I was like 23. I haven't ever gotten past like disk 2 :(

Same thing happened to me. It's not good enough for me to put a disc in the DVD player. If it randomly comes on tv, sure. Otherwise, :effort:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Axe-man posted:

I can make it through the Macross era stuff, but the voice acting during Southern Cross is just so terrible that I never get past the first episode of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
But then you miss out on the space helicopters!

• Locked thread