Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think the transforming space hover tanks where the pilot is on the outside of the 'mech in 2/3rds of the thing's modes is wacky enough.

The funny thing about Southern Cross is that even when I was 10, I knew the voice acting was horrible. The difference was, back then I kept watching. Nowadays, I hear Dana and Huey and *CLICK*, I'm gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

All this is true, but I'll still crack a smile for Freakazoid and the rest of the WB oeuvre.

Also, put in some last-minute input in the docs for people that still need it, though if fromage can't get to the docs from his phone: Standing still gives you a modicum of protection for your legs and you'll have 7's to hit either S4 or G9. You can shoot whichever, but G9's standing still specifically to act as a decoy to draw fire away from S4 (and a few people are in a decent position to oblige G9's request) and you've got some decent shots to hit it.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Quick, I need advice! Should I simply stand still, or should I brood in a stationary fashion? :ohdear:

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

SageNytell posted:

Quick, I need advice! Should I simply stand still, or should I brood in a stationary fashion? :ohdear:

Standing still should be conducted in an aggressive, intimidating fashion.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Fraction Jackson posted:

Standing still should be conducted in an aggressive, intimidating fashion.

Here. Let me get you a WWKA-LD? bracelet, circa 1995, to help you decide.

(Also, get your orders in or I won't have time to read more D.R.T. for you!)

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 5, 2013

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

PoptartsNinja posted:

I don't see how whining about how a girl doesn't like you will be helpful at all!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Stand as if the rest of the galaxy needs to kneel in your presence.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

PoptartsNinja posted:

I sent mine just a bit ago, in fact.

Also, given the annotations in progress, why not a WWASD one? (I presume the answer is always "gather information" or "attack at dawn".)

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
^^ Adam Steiner has nothing on Kai Allard-Liao. The only person who can touch him is Phelan Kell-Wolf-Ward-Kell

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
On the subject of standing still, do the rules take into account modified line of sight if mechs have fallen down? Could you potentially crouch/kneel to get out of one enemy's line of sight while still having your guns pointing at a second enemy?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
`Mechs never block line of sight. Quad `Mechs can go Hull Down, but a crouching `Mech isn't much shorter than a standing one and so can't hide behind a level 1 hill. You can go prone, but that limits the number of weapons you can bring to bear and forces a piloting test when you stand. `Mechs aren't articulated enough to sit.

A general rule of thumb for BattleTech Line of Sight is: If you can shoot it, it can shoot you.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

A general rule of thumb for BattleTech Line of Sight is: If you can shoot it, it can shoot you.

Unless you're behind it, presumably.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

the JJ posted:

Flippy arms and torso twists.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

the JJ posted:

If they don't have arm mounted weapons it's their own drat fault if they let someone behind them. In a game with actual initiative you can never rely on being able to flank someone, so having a pre-planned escape rout is usually vital.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

`Mechs never block line of sight. Quad `Mechs can go Hull Down, but a crouching `Mech isn't much shorter than a standing one and so can't hide behind a level 1 hill. You can go prone, but that limits the number of weapons you can bring to bear and forces a piloting test when you stand. `Mechs aren't articulated enough to sit.

Man, I would love to see a Battlemech just park his rear end down right in the middle of the battlefield like a grumpy 5-year old taking a tantrum and refusing to budge. It'd be hilarious.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

jng2058 posted:

I can make it through the Macross era stuff, but the voice acting during Southern Cross is just so terrible that I never get past the first episode of it.

just watch Macross instead, problem solved.

It's funny because SDF Macross is old as hell like the rest of the things we're discussing but actually has aged surprisingly well because it's not stupid as hell. The animation is decent considering its age, which isn't really saying a lot, but the rest of the show still stands pretty well. Better than a lot of Macross sequels, even :v:

Robotech, despite having a third of the show be the same animation, is stupid. Just goes to show...

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 5, 2013

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!

AJ_Impy posted:

Stand as if the rest of the galaxy needs to kneel in your presence.

Gotcha, I'll keep doing what I've been doing then. Wasn't sure of the protocol.

Also, PTN, hope that wasn't directed at me, I sent in orders a few days ago.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

But then you miss out on the space helicopters!

Did my mind blank those out because I can't remember a single one?

And here I was thinking it was the third series of Robotech that was bad. I'm not sure if it was the fireworks being used to fight off giant robots that did it or the idea that there's something like a perfect form of evolution (and that humans are even close to that).

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

evilmiera posted:

Did my mind blank those out because I can't remember a single one?

I assure you, that Space Helicopters do exist.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Mar 5, 2013

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry

jng2058 posted:

I think the transforming space hover tanks where the pilot is on the outside of the 'mech in 2/3rds of the thing's modes is wacky enough.

The funny thing about Southern Cross is that even when I was 10, I knew the voice acting was horrible. The difference was, back then I kept watching. Nowadays, I hear Dana and Huey and *CLICK*, I'm gone.

Hell, I remember the story being so bad that my 5-6 year old self said "Wow this is retarded." About half way through on Southern Cross. I still only have a vague concept what happens in it, but I always have the impression that it really doesn't matter at all if I remember or not. :haw:

The third one for all its faults, at least had a very simple if memorable storyline, I don't remember the ending being worth while, but I could get behind the whole "Aliens took over Earth lets take it back" concept.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Still, nobody remembering a damned thing about Southern Cross means that the Secret Unseen remains safe. :ssh:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

PoptartsNinja posted:

I assure you, that Space Helicopters do exist.

Nope, couldn't do it. Made it three minutes and twelve seconds, then Dana started talking, and I was out. You do get a glimpse of the Ajax space 'copters before then, but they're in 'mech mode at the time so it may not be obvious. Well, except for the big propellers on their backs, that is.

Now I'm not sure if I liked the Invid invasion stuff because of any inherent quality to it or because it just wasn't as awful as Southern Cross, but I still remember it fondly. Possibly it was because I was just getting into RPGs around then, and the set up of a small band of freedom fighters on their own trying to liberate Earth was an easier frame of reference than "a bunch of guys in the military", but I do recall liking that era.

Indeed, I liked it enough that I'm not going to go back and revisit it. As I remember it, it's a treasured childhood memory. If I watch it now, it may well be proven crap. So I'll leave it as it was, thanks.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

jng2058 posted:

Nope, couldn't do it. Made it three minutes and twelve seconds, then Dana started talking, and I was out.

Whoops, I hosed it up. It's in a playlist so it didn't link to a specific time. This has been rectified.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

PoptartsNinja posted:

Still, nobody remembering a damned thing about Southern Cross means that the Secret Unseen remains safe. :ssh:
There's an even MORE secret Unseen in Tales of the Black Widow. So secret, that the Unseen version isn't even roughly the same shape!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

SageNytell posted:

Also, PTN, hope that wasn't directed at me, I sent in orders a few days ago.

Nope, I don't call people out specifically. I just haven't received orders from one of the Hell's Horses and the deadline is pretty much now.

VVV I understand. If you need a little leeway, please let me know. I'm very forgiving if I know what's going on.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Mar 6, 2013

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Orders in sorry. I started a new job this week and my hours are even weirder, haven't had much free time. And no computer at work anymore. :saddowns:

E: ^^ Thanks, should be fine now. Had to move apartments too but that's mostly finished.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 6, 2013

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Only one Crit so far this turn.

It seems ROM has turned up some rare footage of Kerensky's departure from the Inner Sphere.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Was it a cockpit?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

Only one Crit so far this turn.

It seems ROM has turned up some rare footage of Kerensky's departure from the Inner Sphere.

And I can see why most copies of this footage were burned.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Voyager I posted:

Was it a cockpit?

No, the double boxcars saw to that.

VVV Not necessarily but yes.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Mar 6, 2013

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

No, the double boxcars saw to that.

:(

Double boxcars means someone's head got blown off.

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

landcollector posted:

:(

Double boxcars means someone's head got blown off.

Well, most of gooncompany was a medium laser away from being mission killed anyway. I say the odds are in our favor!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

We can always hope that so far means the opfor haven't shot yet.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

PoptartsNinja posted:

VVV Not necessarily but yes.

Bye Steve :smith:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Breakout: Tactical Update 22

Combat Phase
H1 Rifleman IIC
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 8): rolled 12, hit Right Arm (14/24 armor remains)!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at S2 BattleMaster (3 base + 4 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 8): rolled 8, hit Left Leg (16/26 armor remains)!
- Gains 26 heat, sinks 42!

H2 Cougar D
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at G9 Shadow Hawk (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires Large Pulse Laser at G9 Shadow Hawk (3 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 0 enemy movement - 2 pulse laser = 6): rolled 2, miss!
- Gains 31 heat, sinks 25!

X1 Banshee IIC
- Fires ER Small Laser at G9 Shadow Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 heat = 3): rolled 10, hit Right Leg (14/19 armor remains)!
- Gains 12 heat, sinks 22!

H3 Wolf Spider A
- Activates Clan Neural Implants!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at S4 Sunfire (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 neural implants = 6): rolled 8, hit Center Torso (22/34 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at S4 Sunfire (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 neural implants = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (7/24 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at S4 Sunfire (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 neural implants = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (0/22 armor remains)!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at S4 Sunfire (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 neural implants = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Arm (5/12 structure remains)! Crit!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at S4 Sunfire (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 neural implants = 6): rolled 4, miss!
- Fires ER Medium Laser at S4 Sunfire (3 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement - 1 neural implants = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Arm (5/12 armor remains)!

X2 Exterminator
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at G1 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 2 pulse laser - 2 blindside = 6): rolled 7, hit Right Torso (0/11 structure remains)! Torso destroyed!
- - Damage transfers to Center Torso (13/14 structure remains) Crit!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at G1 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 2 pulse laser - 2 blindside = 6): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at G1 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 2 pulse laser - 2 blindside = 6): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Medium Pulse Laser at G1 Phoenix Hawk (3 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke - 2 pulse laser - 2 blindside = 6): rolled 7, hit Left Torso (0/18 armor, 6/11 structure remains)! Crit!
- Gains 27 heat, sinks 26!

X7 Vindicator
- Fires Medium Laser at G1 Phoenix Hawk (1 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 8): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Small Laser at G1 Phoenix Hawk (1 base + 2 range + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 8 heat, sinks 24!

X9 Cyclops IIC
- Holds fire!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 30!

X11 Merlin
- Fires PPC at G9 Shadow Hawk (0 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 2): automatic hit, hit Left Torso (9/19 armor remains)!
- Fires LRM-5 at G9 Shadow Hawk (0 base + 0 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement - 1 iLK missiles = -1): automatic hit, 2 missiles hit Left Leg (17/19 armor remains)!
- Fires Medium Laser at G9 Shadow Hawk(0 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Medium Laser at G9 Shadow Hawk(0 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement = 4): rolled 5, hit Right Arm (9/14 armor remains)!
- Gains 24 heat, sinks 27!

H6 Gargoyle Tjris
- Activates EI Implants
- Fires Heavy Large Laser at S4 Sunfire (1 base + 2 range + 1 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 heavy laser - 1 targeting computer - 1 EI Implants = 5): rolled 10, hit Left Torso (0/24 armor, 7/16 structure remains)! Crit!
- Gains 29 heat, sinks 36!

G1 Phoenix Hawk
- Fires Medium Laser at X7 Vindicator (2 base + 0 range + 3 movement + 2 enemy movement + 1 smoke = 8): rolled 9, hit Left Leg (13/18 armor remains)!

G9 Shadow Hawk
- Fires HVAC-10 (Guided) at X11 Merlin (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 7): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires LRM-5 at X11 Merlin (2 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 smoke + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 7): rolled 3, miss!

S2 Battlemaster
- Holds fire!

S3 Awesome
- Fires PPC at X11 Merlin (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 smoke + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 7): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires PPC at X11 Merlin (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 smoke + 1 light woods = 9): rolled 12, hit Left Torso (8/18 armor remains)!

S4 Sunfire
- Fires Heavy PPC at X1 Banshee IIC (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 Heavy PPC = 4): rolled 2, miss!
- Fires Heavy PPC at X1 Banshee IIC (2 base + 0 range + 1 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 Heavy PPC = 4): rolled 10, hit Head (0/9 armor, 0/3 structure remains)! `Mech destroyed!

S1 Mackie
- Fires Heavy PPC at X11 Merlin (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 Heavy + 2 smoke + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires HVAC/10 (Guided) at X11 Merlin (2 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 0 enemy movement + 2 smoke + 1 light woods + 1 partial cover = 10): rolled 11, hit Left Torso (0/8 armor, 12/14 structure remains)! Crit!

End Phase:
G1 Phoenix Hawk
- Critical chance in Center Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Gyro hit!
- Critical chance in Left Torso! No critical hits sustained!
- Must pass a piloting test or fall (3 base + 3 gyro hit = 6): rolled 8, succeeds!

S4 Sunfire
- Critical chance in Right Arm! No critical hits sustained!
- Critical chance in Left Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Engine hit!

X11 Merlin
- Critical chance in Left Torso! 1 critical hit sustained!
- - Heat Sink destroyed!

Physical Combat Phase:
X2 Exterminator IIC
- Kicks G1 Phoenix Hawk (2 base + 3 movement + 3 enemy movement + 1 smoke + 2 Clan pilot - 2 kick = 9): rolled 4, miss!

Located at the zenith of their dome-shaped prow, the command deck of a grounded DropShip was ill-suited to watching a `Mech battle. Nonetheless, Wilberforce perched precariously on the backrest of a chair straining for a look. He shut out the bustle and shouted orders of the ship’s crew as they worked to bring the vessel online. They were warriors, and worthy of his attention, but his forte wasn’t starship operations so he ignored them.

“Status?” the vessel’s captain—Wilberforce couldn’t remember his name—demanded.

“The enemy is still too close,” Wilberforce replied. He still had no worthy advice for the combatants—from his limited vantage, the injured warrior just couldn’t see any patterns in the enemy’s activity. A pallor of smoke hung over everything, and the slight curve of the transplex panes distorted things still further. From his perspective, the fight was little more than a murky mess.

Even so, Piet’s death didn’t pass unnoticed. Her headless Banshee still stood stark upright, the defiance in the set of its dead legs was unmistakable. Without the main computer to guide it, the pulsating glow of the `Mech’s fusion power plant died as the ungoverned reaction failed. Wilberforce only blinked in silence as the battle raged on a thousand light years away.

Mission Objectives:
Secure the Dropships (incomplete)
Hold off the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers (incomplete)

Optional
Defeat the 1st Kestrel Grenadiers’ 2nd Battalion (34/40)
Death Commandos: Defeat more Kestrel Grenadiers than the Hell’s Horses (16)
Hell’s Horses: Defeat more Kestrel Grenadiers than the Death Commandos (18)

Key:
H1 Rifleman IIC, H2 Cougar, H3 Wolf Spider A, X2 Exterminator IIC,
X7 Vindicator, X9 Cyclops IIC, X11 Merlin, H6 Gargoyle Tjris

Enemy Movement Mods:
S1 Mackie +0
S2 Battlemaster +0
S3 Awesome +0
S4 Sunfire +2
G1 Phoenix Hawk +3 Jumped
G9 Shadow Hawk +2 Jumped

Player `Mech Status

Enemy `Mech Status

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Mar 6, 2013

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
:smith:

Good bye, Mechwarriors Piet and Talyn.

Goon StarCompany status: hosed.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
drat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Oh, PTN, I think you forgot part of my order.

I posted:

Jumping to 1626, facing 1526.

cMPLs on G1, Blindside applies.

Kicking G1 as well.

EDIT: Thanks! Was worth a shot at any rate.

Runa fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Mar 6, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Ohhhhhh crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

landcollector posted:

:smith:

Good bye, Mechwarriors Piet and Talyn.

Goon StarCompany status: hosed.

Eh, those two robots were on their way out anyways. It's a shame to see them go like that, though Piet's probably happier this way, but they were quite likely to have been dead by the end of the turn regardless and the Banshee was basically down to a husk already.

I guess Xarbala will probably get a chance to show off!

• Locked thread