Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Verman posted:

Nice work. Every roller game ive ever played had at least 37 goals scored. Singlw digit games were rare since a lot of roller guys forget to play defense and the goalies are slow side to side not to mention they give up more rebounds with the lighter puck.

Yeah our team actually has a few defense first D-men, and the ones who really arent are fast enough to catch up to most forwards if there is an odd man rush.

My goalie wants to pick up a set of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9NMCOItX0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So some of the roller guys are trying to get me to join the summer league here. It's cheap, and only a few weeks. While my experience on roller blades as a kid were more than my ice skate experiences, I still should be considered "hilariously new" if I were to put on roller blades. Here's a few questions:

First and most importantly, are the rules for buying roller blades the same for hockey skates? I was looking at the Vapor boots as they were the same as my ice boots, and I figured that's gotta be a decent go-to. Nonetheless, if I wanna know what hte $$ rules are here. If it matters any, it's an outdoor rink.

The other issue is in skating on roller blades. I have to imagine it is quite different than skates, particularly with stopping. I am assuming you don't use your edges to accelerate?

Also, I know I've asked about pads before, so I know the ice pads will be fine.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

dms666 posted:

Yeah our team actually has a few defense first D-men, and the ones who really arent are fast enough to catch up to most forwards if there is an odd man rush.

My goalie wants to pick up a set of these.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9NMCOItX0

The goalie I play with that came from ice swears by those rollerfly things. I wonder how many roller goalies are over in the goalie thread, might be worth asking what they think about them.

My roller season just ended sunday with a crushing 6-3 loss to a team of sandbaggers. The whole season they had 96 GF and 20 GA, in a 10 game season. This season was one that left a bitter taste in all three divisions I played. Two first-round exits (mostly because people couldn't make the games all of a sudden) and then the sandbaggers in the championship. Luckily the new season starts this weekend.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Got tossed from the playoffs after an 8-round shootout. We have a consolation game next week that we will probably get drunk for, and that's the end of the line for the team :smith:

In other news, the team pooled some cash together and I ordered one of those hilariously overpriced My Bauer customized sticks as a gift to our captain for putting up with our poo poo throughout the years. After 5 weeks, it finally showed up on my porch yesterday and is awesome. We're going to give it to him at our team party in a few weeks.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

JetsGuy posted:

First and most importantly, are the rules for buying roller blades the same for hockey skates? I was looking at the Vapor boots as they were the same as my ice boots, and I figured that's gotta be a decent go-to. Nonetheless, if I wanna know what hte $$ rules are here. If it matters any, it's an outdoor rink.

I'd say yes, hockey is hockey and you're going to want decent support in any and every situation. In roller land, you just have different "top" options with Mission and Tour replacing Graf and CCM. If it's an outdoor rink you're going to want to find out what kind of floor it's going to be. Painted asphalt? Concrete? Outdoor tile? These, along with your weight, will determine the durometer and type of the wheel you will use.

JetsGuy posted:

The other issue is in skating on roller blades. I have to imagine it is quite different than skates, particularly with stopping. I am assuming you don't use your edges to accelerate?

Full disclosure, I've never ice skated with the intent of playing hockey. However, my buddy recently transitioned from Ice to Roller (well, added roller to his skillset would be more accurate) and he says stopping is completely different. You don't "ease" into the stop, it's a sudden turn of the skates so that your momentum is still going perpendicular to the way your skate is facing.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

JetsGuy posted:

I would definitely go with a higher end skate for much better support and comfort HOWEVER you are playing outdoor and that might pose a problem. Almost all higher end inline hockey skates come with softer indoor wheels that will absolutely fall apart on the outdoor surface. Some of the lower end skates do come with all purpose wheels or you could buy a set of outdoor wheels and swap them. If you are going to play long term obviously the better skate will last you and be more comfortable.

Skating is a bit different. There really isn't an inner and outer edge to control but most of the skating mechanics are the same. I'll echo what cenzo said about stopping it is a very abrupt motion and you just have to go for it

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
I'm just posting to agree with what others have said. yay telemetry. Be prepared to fall on your face the first few times you try to stop because it's nothing like ice.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I've learned how to do a psuedo-stop that is like an ice hockey stop on inline. Front foot perpendicular, angled out a bit and I slide forward with my foot out. The first couple weeks I have new wheels, I can pretty much just do a hockey stop, but over time it turns into sliding the wheels.

SportCourt rink with Xtra Soft wheels.

e: Great timing, my ice league just realigned our division. After last season they moved two teams up and brought two teams down. The
two teams that went up got destroyed by everyone. And the teams they brought down destroyed everyone. So, they switched them back.

Hockles fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Mar 5, 2013

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I've played ice since I was five but I've only done roller probably since I was 18ish. I've honestly never mastered a good roller hockey stop like I've seen great roller players do. I just do a really tight turn to slow down/stop and it works well enough for me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So, I get to play a game on pro ice this Sunday, which is pretty cool. But it's kind of hilarious how far down the totem pole we really are. We get a room to change, but aren't allowed to put on our skates.. we can't put them on until we walk to the zamboni door, where there will be "some chairs" for us to use.

No showers either, so I assume our "locker room" is actually a closet somewhere.

I'm sure it'll still be a heap of fun, but I wear my shinguards over my skates and I've literally never put my skates on while fully dressed. :ohdear:

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Hockles described the best way, imo. Your back foot is perpendicular to your front foot and your front foot is what you use to actually stop. When you do it right your wheels squeak real hard and you're suddenly not moving. Until the coating on your wheels rubs off and then you just slide a bunch. I always bought the cheapest soft wheels I could find, and swapped em out every 20 games or so.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Sounds like they just don't have a rubber mat to get from your room to the ice if you're getting a room.

At Staples we don't get rooms, just chairs and black curtains. In Austin at the expo center we got dressed in a double wide and walked out in the heat over carpet and into the back of the rink. Hilarious.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

So, I get to play a game on pro ice this Sunday, which is pretty cool. But it's kind of hilarious how far down the totem pole we really are. We get a room to change, but aren't allowed to put on our skates.. we can't put them on until we walk to the zamboni door, where there will be "some chairs" for us to use.

No showers either, so I assume our "locker room" is actually a closet somewhere.

I'm sure it'll still be a heap of fun, but I wear my shinguards over my skates and I've literally never put my skates on while fully dressed. :ohdear:

I played after a Predators game last year and they crammed us in a tiny room with folding chairs around the corner from the zamboni door, but there was rubber down so we could walk to the ice in skates.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I started playing roller on a rink for the first time like 2 years ago. I just did a hockey stop like a reflex action and it went fine. The thing that messes me up the most is the puck being so light.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thufir posted:

I played after a Predators game last year and they crammed us in a tiny room with folding chairs around the corner from the zamboni door, but there was rubber down so we could walk to the ice in skates.

Yep, no rubber. But they explicitly stated that no one is allowed to walk around on skates, even with guards on.

Goalies get an exemption though, which is reasonable.

I don't see it as a huge problem, I'm an adaptable sort, I just find the situation amusing.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

delpheye posted:

Hockles described the best way, imo. Your back foot is perpendicular to your front foot and your front foot is what you use to actually stop. When you do it right your wheels squeak real hard and you're suddenly not moving. Until the coating on your wheels rubs off and then you just slide a bunch. I always bought the cheapest soft wheels I could find, and swapped em out every 20 games or so.

This is more of a power slide, I believe the technique is called, which provides a longer stopping distance than if you have both of your feet perpendicular to the direction of momentum. Both techniques have their place, but they are different from a balance perspective.

I find you'll want to keep a fair amount of bend in your knees when you try to stop in roller, as it allows you to get lower without sacrificing stability in leaning (because there are no edges.) If you don't bend your knees enough your feet can fly out from under you (and you fall on your hip, and it hurts.)

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Thufir posted:

At Consol, used to use the visitors locker room, which you didnt have to worry about walking out of. Had to use the Pitt locker room which the refs use on occasion, those have rubber mats all the way down the hallway to the benches. I would think most places would be like that.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

xzzy posted:

Where are you playing?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

shdwdmg posted:

Where are you playing?

Allstate Arena, after the Icehogs/Wolves game on Sunday.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

xzzy posted:

Allstate Arena, after the Icehogs/Wolves game on Sunday.

The Allstate Arena is a thorn in my side, I know it has had some work down in the locker rooms in the last few years. Apparently, former players decided wrecking the locker rooms after being ejected is fun time, despite being expensive.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's just a lovely arena in general, I don't like watching hockey there either because the angle of the bleachers is so shallow you spend most of the game staring at the back of someone's head.

But hey, I get to skate on pro ice, so I'll cope.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

xzzy posted:

It's just a lovely arena in general, I don't like watching hockey there either because the angle of the bleachers is so shallow you spend most of the game staring at the back of someone's head.

But hey, I get to skate on pro ice, so I'll cope.

Totally!

I was visiting Ohio, and we went to the Lake Erie Monsters Game, Every AHL should be as nice as The Q.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Any NoVA goons (I know there's at least two or three of you) have any experience with good leagues in the area? I'm probably going to get back into hockey this spring after taking a hiatus for a few years. I live in Fairfax so the obvious choice for me would be Fairfax Ice Arena, and they have an intermediate level for players who have been away from the game for a while so that looks ideal right now. Any other places I should check out. I know of Kettler, and Mt. Vernon is apparently a decent league as well. Thanks in advance!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

canuckanese posted:

Any NoVA goons (I know there's at least two or three of you) have any experience with good leagues in the area? I'm probably going to get back into hockey this spring after taking a hiatus for a few years. I live in Fairfax so the obvious choice for me would be Fairfax Ice Arena, and they have an intermediate level for players who have been away from the game for a while so that looks ideal right now. Any other places I should check out. I know of Kettler, and Mt. Vernon is apparently a decent league as well. Thanks in advance!
There's also Reston Ice Arena that should be decent as well, and it's probably closer to you than some of the other rinks. Though holy jesus it's now called SkateQuest.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

real_scud posted:

There's also Reston Ice Arena that should be decent as well, and it's probably closer to you than some of the other rinks. Though holy jesus it's now called SkateQuest.

Ahh yea I've actually played a few games there, but I live in Fairfax city so Fairfax/Arlington rinks are actually closer. I've also been looking at inline leagues and there don't seem to be very many of those in the area. They used to have The Box out in Chantilly but I guess it closed down.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

sellouts posted:

Sounds like they just don't have a rubber mat to get from your room to the ice if you're getting a room.

At Staples we don't get rooms, just chairs and black curtains. In Austin at the expo center we got dressed in a double wide and walked out in the heat over carpet and into the back of the rink. Hilarious.

Now in Austin we get to play at the Cedar Park Center (home of the Dallas AHL team) and a few times we just got black curtains and rubber mats with folding chairs. Lately we get to take residence in one of the visitor locker rooms divided in two. It's pretty tight, but it works and beats walking over carpet in the Austin heat.

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.

canuckanese posted:

Ahh yea I've actually played a few games there, but I live in Fairfax city so Fairfax/Arlington rinks are actually closer. I've also been looking at inline leagues and there don't seem to be very many of those in the area. They used to have The Box out in Chantilly but I guess it closed down.

Prince William Ice Center opened back up not too long ago, it's further away than Kettler though and I haven't had any experience with the league scene, plus the website is godawful at arranging information usefully

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

canuckanese posted:

One of my contractors plays out in Reston and from what I understand the leagues there are a bit younger by the age of players and have a bit of skill to them though it is close to advertised.

Kettler is going to be packed as all hell and probably a higher than advertised skill level. I know at every pickup session they have 2 good and full (20 player?) teams.

No idea about Fairfax Ice arena or Mt. Vernon.

Theres also the rink in Haymarket which is super ghetto but apparently has decent players there? Communist Kangaroo, do you remember what the guys were saying about it last night?

PWIce is great. New arena, great leagues, with good players in the higher levels and hockey dads with new skates in the lower levels.

For best results, call the rinks or email their directors until you get to the adult hockey person.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

cenzo posted:

This is more of a power slide, I believe the technique is called, which provides a longer stopping distance than if you have both of your feet perpendicular to the direction of momentum. Both techniques have their place, but they are different from a balance perspective.

I find you'll want to keep a fair amount of bend in your knees when you try to stop in roller, as it allows you to get lower without sacrificing stability in leaning (because there are no edges.) If you don't bend your knees enough your feet can fly out from under you (and you fall on your hip, and it hurts.)

I do this too many times.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Roller skates suck rear end.

I just bought another pair of X7.0s to replace my XXXXs so I can turn the XXXXs into roller skates, since the old pair of 8090s that I use for roller are finally dead.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

communist kangaroo posted:

Prince William Ice Center opened back up not too long ago, it's further away than Kettler though and I haven't had any experience with the league scene, plus the website is godawful at arranging information usefully

That one is out in Dale City isn't it? I played there in high school, at the time the facilities weren't great but I haven't been since they renovated it. It's also about 40 minutes away from where I live. I'll definitely give them a call though.

I know a few guys who play at Fairfax and Mt. Vernon and they tend to be people who played college hockey so I doubt I'd be able to hang in their league, although I'm sure they also have plenty of different skill levels.

Thanks all for the information guys!

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 6, 2013

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

canuckanese posted:

That one is out in Dale City isn't it? I played there in high school, at the time the facilities weren't great but I haven't been since they renovated it. It's also about 40 minutes away from where I live. I'll definitely give them a call though.

Yep!
What level do you play? There is a tournament there in July that we ought to get a goon team for. The next league starts there in late April/May time. For now, come to the Monday night pickup night things. 8pm, $20- totally worth it.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.

JetsGuy posted:

So some of the roller guys are trying to get me to join the summer league here. It's cheap, and only a few weeks. While my experience on roller blades as a kid were more than my ice skate experiences, I still should be considered "hilariously new" if I were to put on roller blades. Here's a few questions:

Also, I know I've asked about pads before, so I know the ice pads will be fine.

Outdoor roller is really difficult when it comes to stopping. On sportcourt, wood, and tile you can quickly pick up ice like stops, but on concrete you are going to have to put work and commitment into stopping. I skate slalom inline as well and what I have found is that you will probably go through 8 different wheels before you find one that fits your surface, skating style, and weight. So keep that cost in mind when purchasing a skate, and get more info on the rink.

Also keep in mind that the mid end Vapor roller line is not the same boot dollar for dollar as the ice line(lesser liners, quarters, and outsoles). You are gonna end up with a set of useless indoor wheels as well.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Well, well, well...it looks like your hockey stick baggage check requirements are about to be solved. TSA to allow small knives, sports equipment on planes starting April 25th

The Verge posted:

Passengers are allowed to bring an assortment of sports equipment aboard, including pool cues, hockey sticks, ski poles, and lacrosse sticks, but are limited to two golf clubs per passenger.

No word yet on whether pucks must be placed in clear 1qt plastic baggies.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 6, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

AboveAndBeyond posted:

Yep!
What level do you play? There is a tournament there in July that we ought to get a goon team for. The next league starts there in late April/May time. For now, come to the Monday night pickup night things. 8pm, $20- totally worth it.

I've played inline since I was 8, started doing ice in high school and played all four years, but since then all I've really done is a few pickup games through college/after graduating. I have no problems with the rules, knowing where I should go, my fitness isn't bad, etc, but my skating has probably suffered. I'd say lower/mid intermediate if I had to guess. I'd like to play a full season in a lower level league to get my legs back/get used to the game again, but I would absolutely be interested in doing some kind of tournament or playing on a Goon team at some point in the future.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Mar 6, 2013

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

canuckanese posted:

I've played inline since I was 8, started doing ice in high school and played all four years, but since then all I've really done is a few pickup games through college/after graduating.

This is literally me up until last summer, when I started up ice again. Your first two skates are going to be terrible because inline shape is not ice hockey shape. Stops and starts will kill you. But once you get your legs back, you'll be fine.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Dangerllama posted:

Well, well, well...it looks like your hockey stick baggage check requirements are about to be solved. TSA to allow small knives, sports equipment on planes starting April 25th

No word yet on whether pucks must be placed in clear 1qt plastic baggies.

Yikes, fellow traveler/morons jamming their things into the overhead are possibly the only people I'd trust with my sticks less than the baggage handlers.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
At the Erie Otters rink we got to use the visitors' locker rooms. I don't even remember what we did all the times I played at the Civic Arena growing up. But then in college I got to have the nice locker room with nameplate and laundry service and such experience and it is a good one. :)

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
At the Coyotes arena, they had us the officials locker room. They had to set up some chairs for to handle all of the players, but we did have our own showers and restrooms to use. It wasn't too bad of a walk from the locker room to the ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Issue with us using the officials room is that it's being used, we play about 20 minutes after an AHL game finishes.

There's totally gonna be scouts in the stands and our group of beer swilling 40-something's are gonna get drafted. :whatup: