Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

I am curious why he hates Glenn Beck now, other than Glenn Beck is loathesome.

Glen Beck insulted wrestling because there's a wrestling character that's a tea party conservative feuding with the current Mexican heavyweight champion.

There's going to be a lot of wrestletalk in the Bugle I'm predicting and it'll probably end with John Cena saying that Glen Beck has been compromised to a permanent end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Will Glenn Beck be compromised with a bellysplash off the top turnbuckle?

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Making Glenn Beck humble seems impossible even for the Sheik.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Hooray, a Mali section :toot:

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
John's going to be hosting the Daily Show for 8 weeks this Summer! Which is exciting and awesome for him, but guessing that it may mean a few missed episodes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

GraPar posted:

John's going to be hosting the Daily Show for 8 weeks this Summer! Which is exciting and awesome for him, but guessing that it may mean a few missed episodes.

Needs to bring in Senior Pun Correspondent Andy Zaltzman

I also wonder if this is tryout for his own show or taking over the Daily Show. This is how Jon Stewart got control of The Larry Sanders Show.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

bobkatt013 posted:

I also wonder if this is tryout for his own show or taking over the Daily Show. This is how Jon Stewart got control of The Larry Sanders Show.

It could be either of those, but it could also be that they just don't want to shut down production of The Daily Show for pretty much an entire summer while Jon Stewart is off directing a film.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

thefncrow posted:

It could be either of those, but it could also be that they just don't want to shut down production of The Daily Show for pretty much an entire summer while Jon Stewart is off directing a film.

I know but I would love to see John Oliver take over the Daily Show.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

bobkatt013 posted:

I know but I would love to see John Oliver take over the Daily Show.

I would love to see Larry Sanders take over the Daily Show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

prefect posted:

I would love to see Larry Sanders take over the Daily Show.

Vengeance would be his! As long as we get Artie and Hank

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I love John Stewart on the show but I uniformly hate all the correspondant sections, John Oliver included. they're not brave enough to go deadpan and they're not delivered with enough charisma to be inclusive. Obviously the host is bit looser though so maybe he can be more like his Bugle persona.

I think the Bugle works a lot better as a radio show, John and Andy (from what I've seen) both lose something in person. They don't "sell the jokes with their eyes" or something.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Think we got gently caress-eulogy incoming, we just lost the Crackers From Karakas.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Think we got gently caress-eulogy incoming, we just lost the Crackers From Karakas.

The curse of The Bugle strikes again!

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

It's kind sad that the first thing I thought when I heard that was "I can't wait for next week's Bugle!"

ieatsoap6
Nov 4, 2009

College Slice
Add me to the list of people who saw Chavez died and immediately thought, "It's fuckeulogy time!"

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Hoops posted:

I love John Stewart on the show but I uniformly hate all the correspondant sections, John Oliver included. they're not brave enough to go deadpan and they're not delivered with enough charisma to be inclusive. Obviously the host is bit looser though so maybe he can be more like his Bugle persona.

I think the Bugle works a lot better as a radio show, John and Andy (from what I've seen) both lose something in person. They don't "sell the jokes with their eyes" or something.

I think they used to do them as more deadpan "straightmen". You don't like the sketch with Stephen Colbert talking about Prince Charles https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un__imwE3vg or this one of John Oliver's that I just remembered http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-october-17-2012/experts-critique-the-presidential-debate I think John shares a lot of the things he thinks of for the Bugle/Daily Show.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
It's nice they didn't fuckeulogise him. Gotta keep standards high.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator
Regarding John Oliver hosting the Daily Show, I wonder if this will cause even more people to misspell J-On! Stewart's first name.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 18, 2013

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Keep the tradition and spell John Oliver wrong. As long as he is hosting TDS, he is Jon Oliver. The thing we couldn't get right for Jon, we should get wrong for John.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 12, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I love how the Times were not aware that they had Jon Oliver on their payroll.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

bobkatt013 posted:

I love how the Times were not aware that they had Jon Oliver on their payroll.

"...an unknown British comedian..." That was great.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Popelmon posted:

"...an unknown British comedian..." That was great.

Come on, source please.

I haven't heard this week bugle is there finally a pun run?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

notaspy posted:

Come on, source please.

I haven't heard this week bugle is there finally a pun run?

It was the Times.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

It was the Times.

I was hoping for a link, what with this being an internet forum full of cool people but apparently a round of fuckeulogies are needed!

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
The Times has a paywall now, and I doubt that anyone here is a subscriber.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Here is a link: http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/arts/tv-radio/article3707162.ece

rockamiclikeavandal
Jul 2, 2010

All the puns at once. ALL. THE. PUNS. :getin:

https://soundcloud.com/grahambingham/pun-run-fun-with-andy-zaltzman

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

I have been humming "There's a Pope, Pope, Pope" all day.

John does love to sing.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

This is wonderful :swoon:

Has someone done this with John's singing?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

onoflalks posted:

This is wonderful :swoon:

Has someone done this with John's singing?

Yes, I think Chris may have rehosted it on their Soundcloud. It was a while back so not current at all.

Seeing the time on that reminds me of Andy saying he'd seen Usain Bolt compete five or six times and barely seen him run competitively for a minute. Only in this case it's a ridiculous proportion of the time I've been listening to Andy he's been pun-running.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jet Jaguar posted:

I have been humming "There's a Pope, Pope, Pope" all day.

John does love to sing.

I honestly considered just stopping the episode after Andy's introductions because I couldn't see the episode getting any better, but then John stated singing.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Poopy Palpy posted:

I honestly considered just stopping the episode after Andy's introductions because I couldn't see the episode getting any better, but then John stated singing.

Haha I'm glad I wasn't the only one thinking this. That was a phenomenal intro bit, even by Andy's lofty standards.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I'm going to see Andy's show on Friday, I'm hoping for lots of puns.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Lady Gaza posted:

Please report back on whether his shows are actually as empty as he makes them sound.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Lady Gaza posted:

Does he still have a problem with people turning up to his gigs telling Chris to go gently caress himself?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

For some reason the increasingly futile effort to censor John's "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED" this week cracked me up. Does taking out the middle u's up there really censor the word?

Homeless Wonder
Sep 26, 2005
Not a stupid newbie

ClydeUmney posted:

Does taking out the middle u's up there really censor the word?

Nope! But that's why it was so funny.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

BobTheCow posted:

Please report back on whether his shows are actually as empty as he makes them sound.

The show was about half full, if that. Just before it started the staff had to ask people sitting in the back to move to the front. Andy commented on it a few times. The show was good but I think he's better when he's with John.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This picture really is fantastic. John's expression is what makes it.

http://thebuglepodcast.com/?p=521

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Jet Jaguar posted:

This picture really is fantastic. John's expression is what makes it.

http://thebuglepodcast.com/?p=521

Hahahahaha that's awesome. Thanks for posting it, I was in the car when I listened and of course totally forgot to check for it by the time I'd arrived.

• Locked thread