Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roman
Aug 8, 2002

7c Nickel posted:

Looks like Criken has put up his 3rd A:CM video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ds-g1sfAIw
While these are funny I also get pissed off watching these, knowing they charged $60 for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Roman posted:

While these are funny I also get pissed off watching these, knowing they charged $60 for it.
For all the 'if you tilt your head right and squint your eyes and play with exactly the right people on the right day and also are drunk and enjoy it ironically and maybe have randy give you a sensual back massage then A:CM isn't totally horrible' descriptions it's hilarious to me that Criken playing dumb with it is instantly more entertaining than the game. He probably put more effort into those videos too.

And that's not even mentioning masterful canyon.mid use by SGF.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ChickenHeart posted:

Here, have something vaguely-positive for once:

AVP Galaxy appears to have found the first tentative image from Creative Assembly's Alien game.

Oh God, I'm experiencing the hype-cycle already.

Creative Assembly? Since their only action title was Viking, and it was horrible, is this going to be a top down game?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Sire Oblivion posted:

Creative Assembly? Since their only action title was Viking, and it was horrible, is this going to be a top down game?

Viking was not horrible. Simply mediocre and it had some decent combat mechanics. :colbert:

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Obsurveyor posted:

Viking was not horrible. Simply mediocre and it had some decent combat mechanics. :colbert:
What caused that game to lose me, pretty early on, was that while you can't walk off cliffs, you can still fall off them if a melee attack animation causes you to slide over a ledge. After the second time that happened, resulting in death and some backtracking, I just went "gently caress it".

Which was a shame, in a way, because the combat was reasonably fun otherwise. But oh well!

NineBreaker
Oct 22, 2005

Some of us are in the Goons vs Predator chat right now, and people should join it so we can get some AvP 2010 going on.

Also, I am considering hiring A:CM from Redbox. Is this a bad idea?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Last hours of the AVP Sale on GetGamesGo!

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/aliens-vs-predator

NineBreaker posted:

Some of us are in the Goons vs Predator chat right now, and people should join it so we can get some AvP 2010 going on.

Also, I am considering hiring A:CM from Redbox. Is this a bad idea?
Redbox would be an excellent way to enjoy the splendor that is ACM.

Also thanks for playing NineBreaker! Too bad no one else joined us.

It seems we can only get one person at a time, here is insectica last time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2c_aRo1wpM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2FT1ar6i0A

Once I remembered to turn on the right Internet Player Match setting, we joined a Species TDM server

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT7s3dTMPzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50r_wmmKDb8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIA-3-EIxSk

In the last one there were enough bad Alien players that we managed to stay alive just long enough to get a 5 killstreak

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AdTotEfKXg

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Sire Oblivion posted:

Hey! They also made Spartan: Total Warrior a game so generic and awful no one remembers it. Viking wasn't their only bad game. :colbert:.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Cardboard Box A posted:

Last hours of the AVP Sale on GetGamesGo!

http://www.getgamesgo.com/product/aliens-vs-predator

Redbox would be an excellent way to enjoy the splendor that is ACM.

Also thanks for playing NineBreaker! Too bad no one else joined us.

It seems we can only get one person at a time, here is insectica last time:

***VIDEOS***

Wow, these were entertaining just to watch let alone play.

huh fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Mar 4, 2013

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Yell at me over Steam next time; I can set you up with an event/announcement to net a few more goons. Heck, I might make something tomorrow.

Someone's gotta record that horde of pistol-whipping Marines mugging some unsuspecting pubbie Predator.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
gently caress it i'm interested in some more AVP. Just make an event and get some people on it.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog
Event up for tonight. If we can get at least one instance of successful Marine-mob-violence it'll be more worthwhile than the last time I tried to play A:CM multiplayer.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
After seeing the shitstorm that arose from all of this and the fact that Fox thought this was official canon. At least its been entertaining.

Jumped onto AVP 2010 multiplayer, massive fun and easy enough to get into, now I just have to work out how to sprint.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
I'd be interested in playing some Classic 2000 coop/tdm or something sometime.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

ChickenHeart posted:

Event up for tonight. If we can get at least one instance of successful Marine-mob-violence it'll be more worthwhile than the last time I tried to play A:CM multiplayer.

This was a great night for boxing. Two dead Xenos fell to being pistol whipped over and over again. Maybe next time we'll get a predator? :black101:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Kiss From a Hog

Gaghskull posted:

This was a great night for boxing. Two dead Xenos fell to being pistol whipped over and over again. Maybe next time we'll get a predator? :black101:

Oh, but we did:

The boxing-gimmick pretty much marks you as free kills for the other teams and will more-or-less guarantee the marines will lose, but it's all worth it for those scant-few seconds of being able to demonstrate just who are the real space-monsters in the future:

There really needs to be more games where players can slowly, agonizingly-kill an opponent in a brutal act of mob-beatdowns.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Obsurveyor posted:

I tend to have pretty low standards, but god drat.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Since no one else was around this past Get Games Go sale weekend it was just Ninebreaker and I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCMfwpmE78M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGxbi89fmpQ

We found the laggiest server ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj-6GNKX8BQ

...which produced a most amusing ragdoll before we quit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feGfOKHJLyc

"He's on the ROOFTOPS!" *dies*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tFndlOjn5E

Meet Denys one of those people who has been playing AVP 2010 nearly since release

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCdiLwJ7qwc

Also, bad news: Alien vs. Predator: Evolution is bad

http://www.destructoid.com/review-alien-vs-predator-evolution-247581.phtml

"The biggest issue with Evolution is that it's disgustingly sloppy. To call the combat braindead would practically be praising it, given it's a sluggish, repetitive, utterly undemanding case of prodding the screen until everything's dead. Execution animations are canned and unvaried, accompanied by irritating sound effects. Attacks are as slow as they are unresponsive, many of the QTEs often failing to register, and the framerate is so inconsistent the game regularly fails to recognize your combo input.

An awkward camera and unwieldy movement controls add to the frustration, especially once the game starts trying to include stealth missions and awful first-person vent sequences that feel like trying to catch a greased watermelon in a bathtub of liquid butter. Graphical glitches aren't uncommon, and sometimes the game gives up trying to be a game entirely and just fills a room with an overwhelming amount of enemies in the hopes of being challenging.

No thought has been given to balance. Executions are important, as they refill health and kill enemies quickly, but surrounding opponents can continue to attack during the animation sequence and are regularly able to send you back to a checkpoint while you're trapped in a grappling QTE. Some areas are trial-and-error of the worst kind, requiring progress through a certain route but forcing you to learn that route by reloading a checkpoint time and time again. The Predator's weapons are slow to charge and regularly fail to lock-on to targets, rendering them largely impractical. Most of the special abilities are pointless, in fact, at best doing little to the enemy forces, and at worst leaving players vulnerable to attack.

I gave up on the campaign during a sequence that dropped the framerate so badly, I couldn't chain a single attack, while surrounded by opponents who repeatedly pummeled me to death. This is not a one-off occurrence, either. The game struggles to respond to the simplest commands, and even when it does, player characters are so slow to act the enemies usually get a cheap jab or two in the moment you try and do anything. Another favorite tactic is for the marines to box the player into a corner and simply poke their victim to death. The whole thing's a mess, and success is more down to luck than anything approaching skill.

In fact, as I think about it, I have to give the devil his due. AvP: Evolution is actually worse than Colonial Marines -- ever so slightly worse."

Triggsz posted:

I'd be interested in playing some Classic 2000 coop/tdm or something sometime.
Sure. I do wonder how many of us have it though. Anyone want to roll call for AVP Classic 2000?

ChickenHeart posted:

Thanks for the event notice, it worked and it was a lot of fun. Also we had Denys from Ninebreaker night joining in!

ChickenHeart posted:

Oh, but we did:

The boxing-gimmick pretty much marks you as free kills for the other teams and will more-or-less guarantee the marines will lose, but it's all worth it for those scant-few seconds of being able to demonstrate just who are the real space-monsters in the future:

There really needs to be more games where players can slowly, agonizingly-kill an opponent in a brutal act of mob-beatdowns.
I thought I knew this game. I thought I had seen it all. Then I saw four marines pistol whipping a predator to death. These things... they are not easily unseen...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Calling it. Aliens tie-in games are done for the next few years.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Cardboard Box A posted:

Sure. I do wonder how many of us have it though. Anyone want to roll call for AVP Classic 2000?

Can I get in on this if I have the original version, on discs from 2000?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
I'm actually tempted to pick up AVP 1 and 2 for Mac, if I can find a decent copy. Hopefully that'd mean I could join in with Co-Op.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

RoadCrewWorker posted:

For all the 'if you tilt your head right and squint your eyes and play with exactly the right people on the right day and also are drunk and enjoy it ironically and maybe have randy give you a sensual back massage then A:CM isn't totally horrible' descriptions it's hilarious to me that Criken playing dumb with it is instantly more entertaining than the game. He probably put more effort into those videos too.

And that's not even mentioning masterful canyon.mid use by SGF.

He plays the bad games so you don't have to, it's funny to see how things such as the cheesy animations glitches and quick easy alien kills sort of ruin any sort of tension in the game.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Also, bad news: Alien vs. Predator: Evolution is bad

http://www.destructoid.com/review-alien-vs-predator-evolution-247581.phtml

"The biggest issue with Evolution is that it's disgustingly sloppy. To call the combat braindead would practically be praising it, given it's a sluggish, repetitive, utterly undemanding case of prodding the screen until everything's dead. Execution animations are canned and unvaried, accompanied by irritating sound effects. Attacks are as slow as they are unresponsive, many of the QTEs often failing to register, and the framerate is so inconsistent the game regularly fails to recognize your combo input.

An awkward camera and unwieldy movement controls add to the frustration, especially once the game starts trying to include stealth missions and awful first-person vent sequences that feel like trying to catch a greased watermelon in a bathtub of liquid butter. Graphical glitches aren't uncommon, and sometimes the game gives up trying to be a game entirely and just fills a room with an overwhelming amount of enemies in the hopes of being challenging.

No thought has been given to balance. Executions are important, as they refill health and kill enemies quickly, but surrounding opponents can continue to attack during the animation sequence and are regularly able to send you back to a checkpoint while you're trapped in a grappling QTE. Some areas are trial-and-error of the worst kind, requiring progress through a certain route but forcing you to learn that route by reloading a checkpoint time and time again. The Predator's weapons are slow to charge and regularly fail to lock-on to targets, rendering them largely impractical. Most of the special abilities are pointless, in fact, at best doing little to the enemy forces, and at worst leaving players vulnerable to attack.

I gave up on the campaign during a sequence that dropped the framerate so badly, I couldn't chain a single attack, while surrounded by opponents who repeatedly pummeled me to death. This is not a one-off occurrence, either. The game struggles to respond to the simplest commands, and even when it does, player characters are so slow to act the enemies usually get a cheap jab or two in the moment you try and do anything. Another favorite tactic is for the marines to box the player into a corner and simply poke their victim to death. The whole thing's a mess, and success is more down to luck than anything approaching skill.

In fact, as I think about it, I have to give the devil his due. AvP: Evolution is actually worse than Colonial Marines -- ever so slightly worse."

I, more or less, said the same exact thing over in the iOS gaming thread. Short version: Do not buy this game. It's drat near A:CM levels of bad and I deleted it the day after I spent 5 bucks on it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

omg chael crash posted:

I, more or less, said the same exact thing over in the iOS gaming thread. Short version: Do not buy this game. It's drat near A:CM levels of bad and I deleted it the day after I spent 5 bucks on it.

I bought it after some goon raved about it and it's actually terrible. Thanks, Obama.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
God damnit Xenomrph, these goons counted on you. Hand over your toys as punishment, it's the only way to prevent you from doing this again in the future. I'll pm you my adress in a bit, don't worry, shipping from the US to Belgium isn't that expensive.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

We have been led astray, truly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

omg chael crash posted:

Not really.

Xenomrph posted:

I've milked A:CM for pretty much all of the achievements I care to right now (at least until the DLC comes out) and frankly the more I play it the more I like it. That's Stockholm Syndrome, isn't it?

No seriously, there's little touches that make me smile, and I still like the level design a lot. The pop-in textures are crap and a lot of the loaded-textures are also crap by modern standards, but by and large I like how the levels feel like a natural extension of the design aesthetic from 'Alien' and 'Aliens'. Octagonal shapes, a very "lived in" look, it just feels right.
Additionally there's little visual details that I like. Gooped-up stretched membranes pulling apart when doors near Alien hive areas open, an X-ray early in the game showing a facehugger wrapped around a screaming skull (like seriously it's terrifying), O'Neal's smartgun actually having a functional armature and having his animations work around it rather than clip through it, being able to blow Aliens' heads apart and not just "decapitate" them, there's a bunch of little things that are just cool and would have gone a long way towards elevating a better game. Instead they're lost in the noise of a subpar game and most people will never notice them because the bad outweighs the good, and it's a drat shame.

Should've known better, reading this in comparison to the rest of the thread.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Batham posted:

God damnit Xenomrph, these goons counted on you. Hand over your toys as punishment, it's the only way to prevent you from doing this again in the future. I'll pm you my adress in a bit, don't worry, shipping from the US to Belgium isn't that expensive.

Anyone who takes Xenomrph's word on the quality of an Alien product at face value is a fool who deserves to be parted from his money.

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Been browsing the thread for the last week or so being the Alien geek that I am (and as disappointed as you all in A:CM but thankfully didn't purchase it). I did grab AVP2010 on the cheap, so I might give that a go. What's the consensus on single player? The MP looked pretty fun from those videos.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

omg chael crash posted:

Mistakes were made. It was a bad call.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Mistakes were made. It was a bad call.

Bad call? BAD CALL?! THESE PEOPLE HAVE LESS MONEY BECAUSE OF YOU!

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Photex posted:

Bad call? BAD CALL?! THESE PEOPLE HAVE LESS MONEY BECAUSE OF YOU!

Is... Is Xenomrph going to try and sneak illicit Aliens toys past customs by putting them inside Photex's chest?

Diesel Fucker
Aug 14, 2003

I spent my rent money on tentacle porn.
Why didn't I check this thread one last time before buying Evolution. That's a whole pint I could of had instead of a game!

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Abner Assington posted:

Been browsing the thread for the last week or so being the Alien geek that I am (and as disappointed as you all in A:CM but thankfully didn't purchase it). I did grab AVP2010 on the cheap, so I might give that a go. What's the consensus on single player? The MP looked pretty fun from those videos.

I am playing through the SP at the moment and it's actually quite solid. Does a much better job of establishing the Xenomorphs as an actual threat in the marine campaign and the way they behave and animate is downright fiendish at times.

Alien campaign is a little 'eh' but that's because what kind of loving narrative can you enjoy when you just an armored killing machine.

Predator campaign is actually quite nifty, albeit short.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Marine campaign is excellent but shorter than gently caress (About 3 and a half hours). It falls apart a little towards the end when you start fighting heavily armored, extremely accurate combat androids who keep shooting even after you blow their heads off, but the xenos never fully disappear - although you can take a good bet that you're completely safe for the room if you're fighting an android or two.

Play it on a hard difficulty. On Hard and Nightmare, acid splash is almost (Or actually straight up is) a 1-hit kill, you can not kill a xeno right up next to yo or you'll die.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wade Wilson posted:

Not really.

Should've known better, reading this in comparison to the rest of the thread.

I'm pretty sure that's not the one I read. Maybe it was over in the iOS thread? Somebody failed me, that's all I know.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Welp I just got Aliens: Infestation on sale, guess that will have to do me for ALIEN FUN for the next little while.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I dunno guys I'm still having a lot of fun with AvP Evolution and it's one of the "featured" games in the app store and it's got a shitton of positive reviews... :shrug:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fde.avpevolution

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/avp-evolution/id583066190?mt=8

http://www.slidetoplay.com/review/avp-evolution-review/

http://www.dotmmo.com/avp-evolution-review-16920.html

http://www.androidshock.com/reviews/avp-evolution-theyre-back-and-on-android/

http://kotaku.com/5987719/for-what-its-worth-avp-evolution-is-the-best-aliens-game-released-this-year

Those saying it runs crappy likely aren't playing it on an iPhone/iPod Touch 5. I'm using an iPod Touch 5 and the game runs smooth as butter and I'm not experiencing any of the issues I'm seeing in some of the more negative reviews. Combat is responsive, you can string together combos with ease, countering and dodging is easy, different unlockable abilities and items allow for a lot of experimentation, etc. Anyone saying it's "worse than Colonial Marines" is using hilariously bad hyperbole.

As far as I'm concerned, Dtoid giving it a 2/10 (:laffo: ) is comparable to Gamespot's review of Predator: Concrete Jungle, where there's a big disparity between their review and the user reviews. As in, I wonder if they actually played the game. Their review of AvP Evolution seriously reads like they still have a bad taste from Colonial Marines in their mouth - a ton of the things they complain about in their review are literally objectively false.

I'm not saying AvP Evolution is in any way perfect, but it's pretty drat far from "bad", let alone "worse than Colonial Marines".

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Mar 6, 2013

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Xenomrph posted:

As far as I'm concerned, Dtoid giving it a 2/10 (:laffo: ) is comparable to Gamespot's review of Predator: Concrete Jungle, where there's a big disparity between their review and the user reviews. As in, I wonder if they actually played the game.

I'm not saying AvP Evolution is in any way perfect, but it's pretty drat far from "bad", let alone "worse than Colonial Marines".

I really want a 'this gen' game based around a Predator. Screw 'Aliens' or 'AvP' - Where's my current gen 'Predator' game. Marines and Aliens get all the spotlight.

Or at least give me an AvP game where I can customise my Predator - I'd love some kind of 'Cabela's big hunt' game where you are a Predator stalking rad prey and you can hang trophies off yourself and customise your helmet to show you are the biggest badass. Make it a monster hunter clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Xenomrph posted:

Those saying it runs crappy likely aren't playing it on an iPhone/iPod Touch 5. I'm using an iPod Touch 5 and the game runs smooth as butter and I'm not experiencing any of the issues I'm seeing in some of the more negative reviews.

I've got a crappy ancient phone at the moment but I'm planning on getting a new one soon; I'd been leaning towards getting a Samsung Galaxy or something like that which would probably be google android, have there been any positive reviews of AvP:E for android yet or is it not worth bothering unless you've got one of the latest iphones?

• Locked thread