Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

floofyscorp posted:

I only know the answer to that question because I unironically love the Picard Song :v:

The Frame of Mind song by the same guy is actually really good. The Worf Song kinda sucks though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
I know next to nothing about Star Trek or Star Wars. I've not even watched the trilogy.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
I'm pretty sure I didn't get a job working at Turbine as a Game Master because I answered a hypothetical Lord of the Rings question "wrong". Jokes on them though 'cause now I make badass Character Art that they wish they had :clint:

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Are there any sites that would be able to help me in looking around for a summer internship for developers? Most of the job boards don't seem helpful for someone with my experience and getting some time at a studio before I start going for those positions seem necessary.

Would my best bet be to look for local studios? Do most studios even care enough to assist with travel and housing finances for an intern who is only going to be there for 3-4 months? At this point I really don't have anything related my resume and nothing I'd consider worth being my portfolio so I am doubtful a situation in which I'd be able to land an internship outside of Virginia would happen.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Relocating for an internship is a really dangerous gamble at the best of time. I'd spend that 3-4 months just working on your portfolio as hard as you can.

As for looking for them, a lot of them won't post them publicly unless they really can't find anyone. I would send inquiries to the companies in February/March (so, now) asking them about internships over the summer months. Get on their radars before they get desperate and you'll be first in line.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Mega Shark posted:

Dude, you wore prosthetic Vulcan ears to work.

no I didn't? I do not own such nerdly things.

for internships, focus on local ones, because they typically won't pay much and will have no relocation. At Volition, all of our internships were done through the local college, I don't think we even considered applicants from anywhere else.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

GetWellGamers posted:

Relocating for an internship is a really dangerous gamble at the best of time. I'd spend that 3-4 months just working on your portfolio as hard as you can.

As for looking for them, a lot of them won't post them publicly unless they really can't find anyone. I would send inquiries to the companies in February/March (so, now) asking them about internships over the summer months. Get on their radars before they get desperate and you'll be first in line.

That really isn't true of all places. Plenty of companies offer great, paid internships. My company even offers temporary housing for the summer.

Mega Shark
Oct 4, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

no I didn't? I do not own such nerdly things.

for internships, focus on local ones, because they typically won't pay much and will have no relocation. At Volition, all of our internships were done through the local college, I don't think we even considered applicants from anywhere else.

I was just joking. You do own nerdly things though. Like that awesome Optimus Prime that turns into a gun, freaking magical thing that it is.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mega Shark posted:

I was just joking. You do own nerdly things though. Like that awesome Optimus Prime that turns into a gun, freaking magical thing that it is.
Why the gently caress is Optimus Prime turning into a gun? Surely that's Megatron's department.

concerned mom
Apr 22, 2003

by Lowtax
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

What the ungodly gently caress?

In my interview at Ready at Dawn, just to gently caress with me, I got a Star Trek question thrown in (and loving nailed it - "What name did the Borg give to Picard after assimilating him?"). I'm not even that big of a Star Trek fan.

Screening against Star Trek seems like it would be worse than drug testing for ruling out potential applicants.

Welcome to the interview Mr Sigma-X please take a seat. Now, tell me, how many lights do you see?

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Akuma posted:

Why the gently caress is Optimus Prime turning into a gun? Surely that's Megatron's department.

He is amused by this:

http://www.amazon.com/Hasbro-Transf...ransforming+Gun

Note that Optimus turns into Optimus' fist holding his blaster.

The best part is that it does not shoot regular nerf darts, and the three darts I had for it were lost long ago, 2300 miles away, making it completely loving useless (except for the cool ratcheting noise it makes when you transform it by grabbing the handle on top and pulling back with your other arm up Optimus' trailer-sphincter).

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
The worst interview I had was one for a non-games testing position. I rolled up, gave over my credentials (I was working on a few courses with the AST at this time), said that I felt that a grounding in games was a strong starting point for business management software because it provided me with knowledge of both free-form testing and structured testing vis-a-vis some other bullshit about how much I wanted to work in a loving spreadsheet factory just give me a job you fucks.

And then he looked at my CV and saw GTA4 and said 'Do you feel guilty that you worked on a murder simulator?'

Things really went down hill from there.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Sion posted:

And then he looked at my CV and saw GTA4 and said 'Do you feel guilty that you worked on a murder simulator?'

Things really went down hill from there.
Yikes. Yeah, non-games interviews are always fun. Sometimes you get the guy who thinks it's awesome, but you inevitably also draw the crusty CEO/engineer who thinks he'll curveball this "games child" right out of the office.

The "thinks it's awesome" ones are cool, though. I once breezed through an interview because the guy just thought that was super cool.

djkillingspree
Apr 2, 2001
make a hole with a gun perpendicular

Shalinor posted:

I think it's more accurate to say that any corporation that isn't privately held by its founders/employees is driven chiefly by profit motive, and thus cares less about the consumer.

EA's just one such example. Honestly, they're pretty good for what they are. Their initiatives for driving new IP were nice to see, and they haven't backed entirely off that.

I don't really agree with the first statement. It's possible for a large corporation to have the strategy that cultivating a positive relationship with the consumer is the best way to make money - it's sort of Apple's strategy and they've obviously been successful with it.

It's harder for a public company to do that when they aren't already making money, but then, companies that aren't making money probably shouldn't go public in the first place (see: many internet companies)

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

djkillingspree posted:

...companies that aren't making money probably shouldn't go public in the first place (see: many internet companies)

Companies that are making money shouldn't go public either...

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Shalinor posted:

Yikes. Yeah, non-games interviews are always fun. Sometimes you get the guy who thinks it's awesome, but you inevitably also draw the crusty CEO/engineer who thinks he'll curveball this "games child" right out of the office.

The "thinks it's awesome" ones are cool, though. I once breezed through an interview because the guy just thought that was super cool.

My interview for my current position was nice, I made sure to point out how skills gained from a Games Production degree would translate well over to business software development. Also a few of my former classmates already worked here so I knew I would make the cut.

While I have also be enjoying the liberation of moving out from my parent's place for the last few months, I should get myself back over to at least hobbyist-level development to get my portfolio in shape for later; Three years is not as long as I would like to think they are! (Though from what I have been hearing, my job here sounds pretty secure even after these three years are up)

hand of luke
Oct 17, 2005

Mmmhmm, yes. I suppose I will attend your ball. Someone must class up the affair, musn't he?
Does anybody have an Independent Games Summit Pass to GDC? Is there a secret to getting one at this point? I hope the answer is yes.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I heard they completely sold out for the first year ever, which of course is the first year I get one. Those panels are going to be packed. :gonk:

Slurps Mad Rips
Jan 25, 2009

Bwaltow!

Got an email for an interview tomorrow! :toot:

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Going to my Tag games interview today. :toot:

I have a laptop full of portfolio work and Archer series 3 and I'm 90% sure I'm gonna show them the right thing on the laptop.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Aliginge posted:

I have a laptop full of portfolio work and Archer series 3 and I'm 90% sure I'm gonna show them the right thing on the laptop.

I'll be watching you from my glass tower. :colbert:

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Aliginge posted:

Dude I don't think you can pass off an episode of Archer as your own work.

Good luck :v:

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.
My kingdom* for either 1) a QA person or 2) a faster Apple update cycle. Love finding bugs that only show up at scale after release. "Oops."

*My kingdom currently consists of a laminated particleboard desk.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

devilmouse posted:

My kingdom* for either 1) a QA person or 2) a faster Apple update cycle. Love finding bugs that only show up at scale after release. "Oops."
So, funny story. I never tested my leaderboard code with more than the 10 entries it can show at a time. I made some fancy black-box code that I THINK will properly center the GameCenter leaderboard around your score, but it's never been fully tested, because I could never get enough entries in testing to see it in action.

... I'm PRETTY confident there's not a crash bug in there, at least, but - yeah. A teensy bit worried. I know the "highlight your score" portion of the code is flat out broken, at least, and doesn't work. (I expect this will be one of the first things I patch, but since you can skip the leaderboards / view them in GameCenter via a leaderboards button, I'm not really worried about it)

EDIT: Also, you were right, I waited a bit longer, and now my funnels are reporting the right data. Now I know that 8.5% of my users skip tutorial, and only 16.5% have bought anything in the upgrades store. :keke:

EDIT2: I'm not actually sure about the "store" figure, though. Only about 25% of my users are even making it in there, with a nice 66.7% conversion to buying an upgrade once they do. Still, I've only got 50-ish users total, including old test users that quit playing before the store was even in, so, eh, probably will have to wait until I have real player numbers to look at these.

EDIT3: Oh god. I'm obsessing over numbers. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME. EDIT4: Oh hey, I can filter funnels with date ranges too, and the numbers are better if I -OH GOD STILL OBSESSING.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 5, 2013

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Shalinor posted:

EDIT3: Oh god. I'm obsessing over numbers. WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO ME.

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS THE DARK SIDE

(I wouldn't worry about your funnel data with only 50 users, though. You know about statistical significance after all!)

Our big ugly crashy bugs revolve around multiplayer and facebook integration. The worst of which we never hit in testing since it requires a player to have 20+ other friends that are also connected to Facebook. Obviously we need to grow the company fast to avoid this in the future. But until then, we'll hope the expedite gods smile upon us and cringe every time Crashlytics goes DING.

Edit: You can also segment your funnels! You did add segments.... right!??

devilmouse fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Mar 5, 2013

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
Always fun to wake up to a false rumor spreading around that the studio of the game you're CM'ing is closed.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

At least it's not a true rumor...

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

mastermind2004 posted:

At least it's not a true rumor...

Hey, I want to tell you I'm sorry I wrote Orcs Must Die! 1 and 2 off in favor of Dungeon Defenders. I finally played them and vastly prefer your skill and difficulty relationship to DD's item based one. I have a lot more fun trying poo poo out in OMD and doing the infinity waves in 2 than I ever had farming gear in DD. I ended up buying my friend a copy and the DLC just to satisfy the craving of playing.

Please make a third with four player coop. :allears:

EDIT: Sorry any Trendy people :(

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 5, 2013

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Oh, you worked on that? I love that game. Except for the sappers, screw those guys.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah, I'm a programmer at Robot and worked on OMD 1 and OMD 2. Sappers are giant jerks, brimstone traps are probably the easiest way to murder them as long as they are at the start of a wave. Also, it's always awesome to hear that people liked the games.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

mastermind2004 posted:

Yeah, I'm a programmer at Robot and worked on OMD 1 and OMD 2. Sappers are giant jerks, brimstone traps are probably the easiest way to murder them as long as they are at the start of a wave. Also, it's always awesome to hear that people liked the games.
Both games are awesome, and you are awesome for having worked on them.

... except that I really wanted to same-box co-op on Orcs Must Die 2 :(

EDIT: VV Maybe try the indie thing? Move to a mobile/not-$60-AAA studio? There's a few pretty solid ways of avoiding crunch without leaving the industry, these days.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 6, 2013

Dinurth
Aug 6, 2004

?
I think I'm done with the games industry, as much as I love it there are far more lovely situations than there are good ones.

I refuse to march into massive crunch at this point and sacrifice my family life. The fact that this is blatantly looked down upon and crunch is so expected drives me insane. Never mind the other thousand issues with this industry. :(

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Aliginge posted:

Well that went really well, much more like a regular interview than my informal one at 4j. I suspect I may have been a little self critical on the part where you rate your confidence 1-10 on an area of art in games i.e. Drawing, 3D modelling, 2D Animation, 3D Animation, UI etc, felt like a lot more 3s and 5s than I'd like. Totally proud of putting Photoshop as my only number 10 though as while I reckon I'm an 8-9 in 3DSMAX, I am like, super confident with photoshop :c00lbert: it's like an extra limb now.

The interview was mostly banter, questions and talking about portfolio pieces and even weaknesses/mistakes, I hate bullshitting people so I play interviews completely straight and honestly. Including detailing one time in my last job where I goofed by altering outsourced (and fuckawful) title screen art so it was more in model with our characters, the goof was I didn't communicate my intention with our producer who was effectively acting as a lead for my junior level rear end as there was no other artist in the studio, I took that bit on myself and that was a mistake, one I hoped I learned from.

I hope to hear back in a few days, Tag looks sweet as hell and a guy there was an ex teessider who already knew me and recommended me. :D

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Well, I'm moving to Montreal in about 3 days. I've applied pretty much everywhere, for both industry and non-industry jobs. It is now that I am regretting not getting in to program/software development, and also not being 100% bilingual.

But then again, now that I'll be IN Montreal, ya think companies that I never heard back from will call me back? Gameloft had a sound tester position available in January. I applied, never heard a thing, and I strongly believe, without a shadow of conceit, that I could handle that job with zero issues, as I was a full-time sound designer/composer for 2.5 years, and I've worked on mobile stuff on the side. I've done sign-offs, I've done sound testing (Every single one of the 12 games I worked on per year, and then some ports on top of that). Bah, I'm rambling.

Any Montreal goons here in the industry who are looking to hire a hard-working employee with years of audio experience, I'm your guy.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Are there many game industry focused recruiters around? I only know of Wired Talent in the Los Angeles area. (Their website has fallen into disuse but they are still recruiting via job boards and craigslist.) Are there any others I haven't heard of? I know of other job agencies like Volt and stuff, but they don't seem to advertise many game industry related positions.

milquetoast child
Jun 27, 2003

literally
There's Game Recruiter, they got me a job.

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

I've heard good things about Mary-margaret.com.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

GetWellGamers posted:

I've heard good things about Mary-margaret.com.

Thanks for this, never heard of it. Adding my resume to their site.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Aliginge posted:

I suspect I may have been a little self critical on the part where you rate your confidence 1-10 on an area of art in games i.e. Drawing, 3D modelling, 2D Animation, 3D Animation, UI etc, felt like a lot more 3s and 5s than I'd like. Totally proud of putting Photoshop as my only number 10 though as while I reckon I'm an 8-9 in 3DSMAX, I am like, super confident with photoshop :c00lbert: it's like an extra limb now.

"So I see you graded yourself an 8/10 for documentation writing and 9/10 for level design work... that's even higher than our current guys!"
"Eh heh... well, erm how about that"

Ratings charts are bad bad things. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

Super Slash posted:

"So I see you graded yourself an 8/10 for documentation writing and 9/10 for level design work... that's even higher than our current guys!"
"Eh heh... well, erm how about that"

Ratings charts are bad bad things. :(

Yeah, the interviewer even remarked that these kinds of questionnaires were a bit redundant but I gave my answers and used them mostly as an opportunity to talk more about my strengths and weaknesses with regards to each skillset, rather than respond to each with merely a number.

It was a really informal 1 on 1 interview really and I reckon we got on really well. :)

GeeCee fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 6, 2013