Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
Anyone know of any good software only utilities for monitor calibration, or am I just going to have to fork down for a colorometer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Eyeballing it is fundamentally limited by your eyeball. You can try your OS's built in color calibrator tool, and you can try some fine-tuning with a variety of web-based test patterns, but if you're looking for actual accuracy, you need a colorimeter.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

Anyone know of any good software only utilities for monitor calibration, or am I just going to have to fork down for a colorometer?

I borrowed one before and it really is worthwhile to buy/rent one. I think you're supposed to recalibrate every so often, so buying is probably a good idea- especially if you actually need accuracy rather than just wanting it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a known source to rent/borrow one? I was looking for one online and some say "multi-monitor support" as a feature. Is there something preventing you from just using it on another monitor after the first run? This is important since i am using 3 monitors

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I don't really know of any service that'll let you rent or borrow one. It's more like finding a friend, "borrowing" one from work, or finding a generous goon to help you out. Multi-monitor-wise, there's nothing to stop the hardware from being used again and again. However, the software that's bundled with many colorometers is intentionally crippled depending on what version you get (as well as sometimes locked to a single install to discourage sharing). For example, the Spyder4 Pro and Elite use exactly the same hardware (and the Express is just missing the ambient light sensor and the tripod mount), but the different software features will cost you close to $100. So, yeah, there certainly are packages out there that intentionally limit its use to a single monitor. However, all is not lost! There are several third-party software suites that will happily use most colorometers, such as ColorEyes Display Pro, which have generous "trials" that you can utilize to get yourself set up.

e; Also, if you have a wide-gamut monitor (like the U2410), ensure that whatever you get is wide-gamut compatible, or calibrating it will end up with really funky colors.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Mar 5, 2013

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Quick, someone reassure me that the 2 u2312hm monitors I just bought will be awesome and that I didn't make a mistake. I have crippling buyers remorse on anything over 50 dollars so I need to know I didn't screw up hard. I'm coming from the old 2007fp 1600x1200 monitor from 2005 or something.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Ramadu posted:

Quick, someone reassure me that the 2 u2312hm monitors I just bought will be awesome and that I didn't make a mistake. I have crippling buyers remorse on anything over 50 dollars so I need to know I didn't screw up hard. I'm coming from the old 2007fp 1600x1200 monitor from 2005 or something.
They're good. The only thing is you might miss the extra vertical space. Speaking of which, what are you doing with the 2007fp?

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Just a (probably a reminder) note for anyone else that's trying to use miniDisplayport or Displayport outputs that a lot of cables out there are not VESA compliant and connect pin 20 to 3.3V which oftentimes causes sync issues, may result in difficulty resuming a monitor from sleep mode, and could even damage your Displayport connection.

Cables from Circuit Assembly meet VESA specs. There's a number of other vendors out there that publish their cable schematics, but don't trust the Startech and Monoprice cables to meet compliance. While a lot of people have gotten their cables to work, it may be short-lived. I'm hoping my U2711's Displayport hasn't burned out and that it'll still work with my Macbook Pro Retina. Hell, I'm starting to worry if I burned something out on my Macbook Pro Retina because I'm having problems with a passive miniDV -> DVI adapter losing sync and the screen going nutso until I straighten the cable out a bit.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

They're good. The only thing is you might miss the extra vertical space. Speaking of which, what are you doing with the 2007fp?

Well, I'm not sure yet. It's a better monitor than half my friends are using (non-widescreen and even older resolutions than my stone age one) and it still works great after constant usage for what, 7 or 8 years now? So I'll probably give it to one of them.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Ramadu posted:

Well, I'm not sure yet. It's a better monitor than half my friends are using (non-widescreen and even older resolutions than my stone age one) and it still works great after constant usage for what, 7 or 8 years now? So I'll probably give it to one of them.
The last two digits of the model are the year, so 6 at the most. The monitor should have a manufacture date printed on the back. I'll buy it from you if you change your mind. I'm looking for two of that model.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

necrobobsledder posted:

Just a (probably a reminder) note for anyone else that's trying to use miniDisplayport or Displayport outputs that a lot of cables out there are not VESA compliant and connect pin 20 to 3.3V which oftentimes causes sync issues, may result in difficulty resuming a monitor from sleep mode, and could even damage your Displayport connection.

Cables from Circuit Assembly meet VESA specs. There's a number of other vendors out there that publish their cable schematics, but don't trust the Startech and Monoprice cables to meet compliance. While a lot of people have gotten their cables to work, it may be short-lived. I'm hoping my U2711's Displayport hasn't burned out and that it'll still work with my Macbook Pro Retina. Hell, I'm starting to worry if I burned something out on my Macbook Pro Retina because I'm having problems with a passive miniDV -> DVI adapter losing sync and the screen going nutso until I straighten the cable out a bit.

Could this be why my video drivers sometimes think that my monitor is 1920x1080 instead of 2560x1440? I'm using the cable that came with my ASUS PB278Q. :ohdear:

Thorpe
Feb 14, 2007

RELEASE THE KITTIES

necrobobsledder posted:

This would greatly explain why I've been having problems resuming my cinema display from sleep on my PC. Using a Startech miniDisplayport-Displayport adapter. Guess I'm going to be ordering a circuit assembly version tonight!

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

EightBit posted:

Could this be why my video drivers sometimes think that my monitor is 1920x1080 instead of 2560x1440? I'm using the cable that came with my ASUS PB278Q. :ohdear:
Uh, I think that's a separate issue from the active pin 20 problem but I can't say that it's not possible either. 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200, can't remember) is a max negotiated resolution / bandwidth rating for single-link DVI and for earlier displayport versions when unable to negotiate max speeds. But if you say that this happens "sometimes" it would be consistent with the problems that can happen with bad signal sync from that pin being active (the behavior if that's active is basically undefined). Regardless, I'd try to use a solidly reputed cable with nobody mentioning a sleep / DCC problem among reviews.

PS. Don't you post on the reee board? :v:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

necrobobsledder posted:

Uh, I think that's a separate issue from the active pin 20 problem but I can't say that it's not possible either. 1920x1080 (or 1920x1200, can't remember) is a max negotiated resolution / bandwidth rating for single-link DVI and for earlier displayport versions when unable to negotiate max speeds. But if you say that this happens "sometimes" it would be consistent with the problems that can happen with bad signal sync from that pin being active (the behavior if that's active is basically undefined). Regardless, I'd try to use a solidly reputed cable with nobody mentioning a sleep / DCC problem among reviews.

PS. Don't you post on the reee board? :v:

Yeah, when it happens, a quick power cycle or two gets it straightened out. I have no idea what the reee board is though; I'm not the only person using this pseudonym, I can't get it in just about any common game and have no idea how I snagged it here.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
NewEgg has the Dell 23" IPS that everyone likes for $200 over the weekend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-24260055-L0A - requires a promotion code from their Super Saver email

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Thanks for the heads-up bacon! I guess I HAVE to pick one up now....

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

bacon! posted:

NewEgg has the Dell 23" IPS that everyone likes for $200 over the weekend: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-24260055-L0A - requires a promotion code from their Super Saver email

SOn of a bitch I just bought 2 of those on Tuesday for ~30 bucks more each on amazon. They are awesome and I recommend them a lot.

indulgenthipster
Mar 16, 2004
Make that a pour over

bacon! posted:

Is the code unique or can it be shared?

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

VerySolidSnake posted:

I'm not sure! I'm happy to share it : EMCXTXM22 : see if it works for you

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

VerySolidSnake posted:

It's the same code for everyone. You can see them by clicking the "latest email deals" link near the top of the page.
http://promotions.newegg.com/neemail/latest/index-landing.aspx?cm_sp=emailsub-_-homepage-_-promo

You might need to be signed up for the emails before the codes will work for you. It used to work that way, not sure if it still does.

Subjunctivitis
Oct 12, 2007
Causation or Correlation?

Fauxtool posted:

Is there a known source to rent/borrow one? I was looking for one online and some say "multi-monitor support" as a feature. Is there something preventing you from just using it on another monitor after the first run? This is important since i am using 3 monitors

BorrowLenses.com (A goon works here - Duckjob in the Dorkroom)

Lensrentals.com

Or you could also check with a local camera shop that rents equipment and pay a day rate instead of a 3-day rate.

Subjunctivitis fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 8, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Am I crazy to buy a used Dell 2407wfpb off of eBay so it matches my current monitors? Looks like they're going for around $150...

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Am I crazy to buy a used Dell 2407wfpb off of eBay so it matches my current monitors? Looks like they're going for around $150...
$150 is a pretty good deal for a 1920x1200 screen, but are you sure we can't talk you into an IPS? Then your other monitors will look crappy next to it and you'll have to replace those too :getin:

e: You say "monitors" like you have two already. Do you have a video card that can support three monitors? Since those are DVI you'll probably need an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter and those are like $60 and up.

butt dickus fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 8, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

$150 is a pretty good deal for a 1920x1200 screen, but are you sure we can't talk you into an IPS? Then your other monitors will look crappy next to it and you'll have to replace those too :getin:

e: You say "monitors" like you have two already. Do you have a video card that can support three monitors? Since those are DVI you'll probably need an active DisplayPort to DVI adapter and those are like $60 and up.

I have a 2407wfpb next to a 2007wfpb (with a S-IPS panel), and to tell you the truth I can barely, if at all, tell a difference between them.

That could be because an S-IPS panel of that vintage wasn't as much better than a TN panel of that vintage as a current IPS panel would be...I don't know. I don't spend any time working in front of other monitors.

I can say, I have zero complaints with this 2407wfpb, but that could also be because of my lack of regular exposure to higher quality IPS screens. About the only exposure I have to such things is walking down the aisles at Best Buy and Microcenter.

Good point about the video card. I've got two Radeon 6950...not in Crossfire (I haven't really done much gaming in a couple years).

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Thermopyle posted:

I just picked up a U2713H the other day :fap: and was wondering what I was going to do with my old 2407WFP (not 'b' though...doesn't that just designate refurbed?) I'd be willing to let it go for cheaper than $150 if you're interested. Only issue was the power button stopped working, so I did the cheap 'wad of tape' fix behind the bezel and it's been fine ever since.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Philip J Fry posted:

I just picked up a U2713H the other day :fap: and was wondering what I was going to do with my old 2407WFP (not 'b' though...doesn't that just designate refurbed?) I'd be willing to let it go for cheaper than $150 if you're interested. Only issue was the power button stopped working, so I did the cheap 'wad of tape' fix behind the bezel and it's been fine ever since.

Oh, that made me remember. The 2407WFPb is the 2407WFP-HC. In other words, it's not a TFT panel, it's a PVA panel, which would explain why I can't really notice a difference between it and the IPS monitor next to it.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Mar 8, 2013

jeffreyw
Jan 20, 2013
They're all TFT LCD monitors. There are just different types. PVA and IPS are just two different types of TFT LCD types with different characteristics. The old PVA monitors are actually quite similar to IPS monitors, the only major difference is a little bit worse image stability.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Subjunctivitis posted:

BorrowLenses.com (A goon works here - Duckjob in the Dorkroom)

Lensrentals.com

Or you could also check with a local camera shop that rents equipment and pay a day rate instead of a 3-day rate.

thanks for this!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

jeffreyw posted:

They're all TFT LCD monitors. There are just different types. PVA and IPS are just two different types of TFT LCD types with different characteristics. The old PVA monitors are actually quite similar to IPS monitors, the only major difference is a little bit worse image stability.

Yes, of course. I meant TN like I typed in my previous post.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy

bacon! posted:

I was down at microcenter yesterday, and although its not listed on the site, they have this for $179 in store still.

Almost pulled the trigger on it, but doesn't really seem like much of an upgrade from my samsung px2370

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug
Newegg and V.me 10% off anything (up to $50 off, 1x per customer) can be applied to just about any electronics, for those who are looking for a discount on other resolutions. Deal valid through the 21st.

Helped me get the 1920x1200 version (U2412M) for under $280.

sweart gliwere fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Mar 9, 2013

snuggleshrub
Jul 2, 2010

bacon! posted:

Just picked up my second one of these, the one I have has been really nice so far and it'll be nice to have two of the same monitor rather than a mix. I paid a lot more for the first one though, pretty drat nice deal.

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS
What's the best monitor for gaming that's at most $500?
e: I'm currently using my 46" Samsung tv, and it's fine, I'm just browsing for the time being. Also, using the HD7970 GPU and Asus P8Z77-V motherboard. I'm not interested in 3D or 120hz. I would like something in the upper area size-wise, like 25"-27".
The ones from the Tom's hardware link are both looking pretty tempting, I couldn't find the ViewSharp one on any norwegian websites though.

Seizureman fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Mar 10, 2013

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Seizureman posted:

What's the best monitor for gaming that's at most $500?

Depends on the resolution you want and whether you're willing to give up IPS (much better color and viewing angles) for 3D/120Hz.

Both of the following are high-quality IPS panels with fairly low response time:
Dell U2312HM is 1920x1080. Typically $300; currently $220 to $250 (all prices US).
Dell U2412M is 1920x1200. Typically $370; currently $280 to $330. The extra cost is due to the infrequency of non-16:9 panel production. Note that the scaler on this model cannot use source aspect ratio. 16:9 content will be stretched vertically by about 11%. This is more annoying than it sounds.

Asus PA248Q (also IPS) performs slightly worse than the U2412M but is otherwise similar and has source aspect ratio. Typically $330; currently $320 to $350.
Asus PA246Q (also IPS) performs slightly better than the U2412M but is otherwise like the PA248Q. Typically $400; currently $400 to $425.

The OP suggests decent HP monitors. I suggest not giving HP any of your money because of their business practices.

Tom's Hardware suggests there's a couple decent 27" 1080p IPS monitors, but that just means the optimal viewing distance is a meter rather than a yard. Probably won't make a difference for you. Also I wouldn't follow up on that without a second opinion from this thread.

2560x1440/1600 monitors are not found smaller than 27", and are either Korea LAN Cafe specials (including this one from Monoprice and similar from MicroCenter) that require dual-link DVI or DisplayPort because they don't have their own scaler and can have odd issues because they're probably not selling their Super A-class stuff through eBay or the second-tier, or well over $500. You'll also need a 660Ti/7950 for even adequate performance on these, or a 670 for authoritative. (For not-gaming, even integrated video can pull off this size these days, assuming it's on the processor itself instead of the motherboard.)

TVs can be effective monitors, but you'll have to go out of your way to verify the pictures aren't crap, which usually involves dragging a laptop or MHL phone or tablet loaded with the belle-nuit and lagom.nl image test batteries, or you're almost guaranteed to end up with thirty-nine inches of regret. The TV megathread can tell you more about those.

120Hz monitors and 3D monitors are almost without exception TN monitors (and the exceptions still compromise too much to be worth considering). They all have modest color performance and crap viewing angles and you're going to have to try it out anyway to make sure the 3D doesn't wreck you.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 10, 2013

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

EightBit posted:

I bought an Asus VG278HE and the included DVI cable wouldn't let the monitor work in dual-link mode at any refresh or resolution without heavy artifacting or connection errors. I bought an actual good cable and haven't had an issue since (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001PFQAI).

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
Been researching costs of the Korean 27 inchers - got it down to between a Shimian QH270 LITE from Green Sum for £260 and a Crossover 27Q LED from dream-seller for £320 - I know people say Crossover has better build quality, but is it worth the £60 more?

Looked at the Catleaps too, but they seem to cost at lot more at the moment - anyone know the reason why?

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Why Green Sum in particular?

Just curious because I'm sick of having two TN panels and after I got a laptop with an IPS, I absolutely need one (or two) for my desk. I only ask because there's about a whole page of cheaper Shimian QH270 Lite's on eBay (although I searched on .com and not .co.uk)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Anyone have some decent suggestions on where to get quality desk-mount clamp-style monitor arms? I really like the monoprice ones, but drat is the shipping up here to Canada terrible. One 27" LCD and a pair of 24's is what I'm mounting.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Note that the scaler on this model cannot use source aspect ratio. 16:9 content will be stretched vertically by about 11%. This is more annoying than it sounds.

This only applies to things like consoles and bluray players being plugged into the monitor, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Dr. Lenin posted:

This only applies to things like consoles and bluray players being plugged into the monitor, right?

Yeah.

PCs and the 360 can just use their own scaler.