Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK
Question regarding the minion group of stormtroopers in Beginner Box.

Basically do the 2 groups of 3 troopers make 2 attacks or 6? The phrasing in the sidebar regarding their health I understand but the action and maneuver phrasing I am not sure about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Rugpisser posted:

Basically do the 2 groups of 3 troopers make 2 attacks or 6? The phrasing in the sidebar regarding their health I understand but the action and maneuver phrasing I am not sure about.

Minion groups do one attack but do it with an effective skill based on how many members of the group are alive.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Rugpisser posted:

Each group makes a single attack.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
I'm reading through the beta rulebook and I really like the dice system, but I'm a little concerned looking at the specializations. All the talents seem kinda boring. They may be effective, but passive bonuses aren't really all that fun. Even the active talents don't really look all that neat. Are they just trying really hard to be realistic and gritty, or is the fun stuff somewhere else?

I'm coming from Dungeon World most recently, where nearly every move you can take presents really fun options and narratively interesting results.

I'm totally willing to believe its cooler in play than it reads, or that there's lots of cool stuff to do in the skills and gear sections, which I'm to read next.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

You can probably give up right now if you think that the only way to have fun with Star Wars smugglers/criminals/politicians/doctors is if they can do flying backflip kung-fu and fling fireballs and such - because they definitely don't do any of that. However it might be worth a continued look if you can figure out that you can tell a good story without everything being a crazy martial arts move or magical spell or whatever.

Edit: I was being hella snarky but seriously if the setting, races, and classes don't excite you then it might not be for you and your group.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 26, 2013

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

BattleMaster posted:

Edit: I was being hella snarky but seriously if the setting, races, and classes don't excite you then it might not be for you and your group.

I am inclined to agree with you, but it may be fairer to say that SWEOTE is a lot more traditional in the top down "there is a GM to run poo poo and PCs to do poo poo in response" than Dungeon World, which throws a huge heaping helping of narrative import on the players. It is a different style of play entirely, one that is way more traditional or old school or whatever you want to call it. If you are looking for the sort of control over the enviroment and the world and events as a PC that you do in DW, this is probably not your game.

Astus
Nov 11, 2008
You know, I don't think he is talking about doing "backflips" or "shooting fireballs" or whatever, he's just saying he likes having interesting options. This doesn't mean being able to do crazy action movie poo poo, it just means he not that interested in small +1's. For example, the Bounty Hunter's Assassin specialization has access to a talent called "Grit", which increases your Strain Threshold by +1. This is about as boring as picking up Sound Constitution in the 40k rpg's. Sure, it helps, but it doesn't really add much to your character.

That said, there are talents in the game which are interesting, and help differentiate you from other players without being over-the-top. But it may be hard to tell that by just reading the book, so try to get in a game and play with a few talents.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Many of the Talents are pretty dull, and their importance to a given character concept seems to only really emerge once you've taken a lot of them. For instance +1 health or +1 soak isn't a huge deal, mechanically, but taken in totality it can be pretty cool.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Grit is actually really boring and really overused among the talent trees (seriously, it comes up way too much) but most of the interesting things your characters can do are related to skills not talents. Many of the talents make your skills better in certain circumstances or let you do more with them, but they're for the most part in support of your skills.

Depending on what system you're coming from it might be a bit of a tough transition because many systems either lack a skill system or have a poorly-implemented system that is much maligned by players (like the D&D series), but in Edge of the Empire the skills are where your ability to do cool poo poo comes from.

And as Winson said it's a completely different structure of game in any case so there's a little more work on the GM to figure out how skills end up doing cool poo poo.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Oh I get that, I just don't mind it. Some times I like a game where I spend XP on petty poo poo like L5R or Warhammer or SWEOTE and other times I like more sweeping changes like Apoc World or whatever. If the latter is what you are looking for, this game is not gonna be your bag. That is not a bad thing or a good thing, it is just a thing.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

Astus posted:

You know, I don't think he is talking about doing "backflips" or "shooting fireballs" or whatever, he's just saying he likes having interesting options. This doesn't mean being able to do crazy action movie poo poo, it just means he not that interested in small +1's. For example, the Bounty Hunter's Assassin specialization has access to a talent called "Grit", which increases your Strain Threshold by +1. This is about as boring as picking up Sound Constitution in the 40k rpg's. Sure, it helps, but it doesn't really add much to your character.

That said, there are talents in the game which are interesting, and help differentiate you from other players without being over-the-top. But it may be hard to tell that by just reading the book, so try to get in a game and play with a few talents.

Yeah, this is more what I'm talking about and, now that I'm reading through skills, I totally get that, and it looks good. The dice mechanic combined with the skills can present a LOT of narrative possibilities, it seems. Just needed to see some examples I think.

I'd still think you'd want more interesting talents, just more stuff like Bad Motivator, Utility Belt, Scathing Tirade, etc. Those look cool, they were just fewer and more far between than I'd like, methinks. Not all talents have to be things the character directly does, like Bad Motivator. The character didn't necessarily do anything, but the player still has something cool to do to affect the scene. If you want to tie it to the character, one could always just say they set it up offscreen earlier. But yeah, generic +1s just seem kinda boring in comparison, even though they are almost always better mechanically. It comes down to making people choose between interesting/fun and effective. I think the best solution is just to make every talent that gives a passive bonus also do something neat.

For instance, Toughened might say something like Gain +1 wound threshold, and when an enemy rolls two threat on an attack against you, you may spend it to make an immediate Coerce check to frighten them by laughing at them through the pain.

Stuff like that. Its neat and characteristic and lets you do something cool without breaking anything or being off-the-wall action movie stuff. Then again, maybe you can already do stuff like this with threat.

fakeedit: Okay, yeah, looks like you can already do stuff like that with threat. Cool beans.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

BattleMaster posted:

I am excited about that stuff. I think its just that Dungeon World has got me into the habit of thinking about how game rules can encourage creativity and unexpected outcomes by using simple, vague nudges. They ought not suggest a specific outcome, just nudge players in the direction of interesting choices and description. I think that's what advantage/threat and triumph and despair are supposed to do, I can just easily see players going, "I donno, I guess I heal a point" or "I do the thing really well and get a bonus die next time".

Having read more, I can see that those mechanics could work really well for that stuff, just might take some GM nudging to get players to really see how to use them. I guess what I'm getting at is that my ideal moves/talents would reinforce the concepts presented in the specializations by reminding the player or all the cool things that those sorts of archetypes do, even if those things can already be done without having the specific talent, in order to encourage cinematic play. It helps prevent things like combats that devolve to endless rolling to hit till one side dies by presenting ideas with enough blanks to fill in to allow to personal flair.

This is also why I noted that I was perfectly willing to believe that the core dice mechanic might solve problems like this already, as just getting rid of binary pass/fail helps immensely. (or in this case adding specifics on top of pass/fail)

edit: Also, reading the skill descriptions makes all those talents that give boost dice much more appealing, since you can see what the advantages given by them mean.

edit 2: Looking over them more, after reading skills, it makes more sense. Its just the very few passive +1 damages/thresholds that I still think are boring, but that's easily to come up with some small perk to houserule on top of them if I really want to.

Really I think I just needed a 'Read on, its good in practice.' heh

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 26, 2013

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Roll20 now has rollable tables with images. I imported Rumble's maptool images and I can now roll Star Wars dice :)

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

alg posted:

his
Roll20 now has rollable tables with images. I imported Rumble's maptool images and I can now roll Star Wars dice :)

How do you set this up? I am trying to set it up and feeling a lot like grandpa trying to find his email.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Winson_Paine posted:

How do you set this up? I am trying to set it up and feeling a lot like grandpa trying to find his email.

You need access to dev server, there is a tables icon on the top right that looks like 3 bars.

I dragged the images in from Rumble's zip file.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

alg posted:

You need access to dev server, there is a tables icon on the top right that looks like 3 bars.

I dragged the images in from Rumble's zip file.

Well, hooray, I feel less stupid now but boo, since I was not a KS backer I can't do it. So it goes.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

Well, hooray, I feel less stupid now but boo, since I was not a KS backer I can't do it. So it goes.

You don't have to be a backer, I just do the mentor thing that is $10 a month. Splitting it with my group is cheap as gently caress.

Rugpisser
Aug 1, 2007

PHONES DOWN...PHONES DOWN IN THE BACK
It'll be moved to the regular service once the bugs are worked out.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Does anyone know if the core rulebook will be available for purchase in PDF format? Most of my games are run online so it's a lot easier to enter a search query than to look through individual pages for whatever I need at the time.

I ask because I read somewhere that Lucasarts doesn't want them to release one, and further googling didn't really turn up anything when I tried to confirm that.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Solomonic posted:

Does anyone know if the core rulebook will be available for purchase in PDF format? Most of my games are run online so it's a lot easier to enter a search query than to look through individual pages for whatever I need at the time.

I ask because I read somewhere that Lucasarts doesn't want them to release one, and further googling didn't really turn up anything when I tried to confirm that.

I think I read that somewhere too. It'd be neat to be able to purchase it online but I don't think that they're going to because of the whole piracy thing. You'd think they'd learn that it's not going to stop someone from scanning it like every other major RPG book out there but oh well.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

What are the thoughts on the Street Smarts talent in the Force Sensitive Exile tree? Technically the talent also exists in the Fringer tree but it's much cheaper there and less of a problem.

Street Smarts appears twice in the Exile tree and it's 20 XP in both cases. I challenge the usefulness of removing a setback die from Streetwise and Knowledge (Underworld) rolls particularly in light of the expense. I feel like a talent that added 1 automatic advantage on those checks would be about the same (worse in cases where setback dice actually appear, better in all other cases).

More generally I'm curious what people think of the talents that remove setback dice on specific checks or under specific circumstances. They just never feel as useful as other talents (I'm looking at you, Slicer). They seem like speedbumps and competency tax that would better be solved in some other way.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Mendrian posted:

What are the thoughts on the Street Smarts talent in the Force Sensitive Exile tree? Technically the talent also exists in the Fringer tree but it's much cheaper there and less of a problem.

Street Smarts appears twice in the Exile tree and it's 20 XP in both cases. I challenge the usefulness of removing a setback die from Streetwise and Knowledge (Underworld) rolls particularly in light of the expense. I feel like a talent that added 1 automatic advantage on those checks would be about the same (worse in cases where setback dice actually appear, better in all other cases).

More generally I'm curious what people think of the talents that remove setback dice on specific checks or under specific circumstances. They just never feel as useful as other talents (I'm looking at you, Slicer). They seem like speedbumps and competency tax that would better be solved in some other way.

It's usefulness really just depends on how often your GM uses setback dice. One thing my group's GM complained a bit about (and I feel it's a valid complaint) was that really there isn't a straight guideline on how hard to make things besides that easy/average/hard/daunting etc chart, and I think that because of that it's probably a toss-up if your GM will be using them or not.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
The thing is, it's not just as simple as "remove setback dice" with some of these setback-removal talents. Slicer, as mentioned, has two separate talents for removing setback dice under two different circumstances (door hacking and actual computers). Granted, those are relatively cheap talents but there's really no reason why they need to be two different talents.

The Street Smarts appearance in the exile tree is both thematically inappropriate in its current location (shouldn't learning to navigate the seedy underbelly be one of the first things you learn when hiding in the seedy underbelly?) as well as vastly overpriced for the benefit it provides. When do you seriously expect to get a setback die on a Knowledge check, after all?

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

PantsOptional posted:

The Street Smarts appearance in the exile tree is both thematically inappropriate in its current location (shouldn't learning to navigate the seedy underbelly be one of the first things you learn when hiding in the seedy underbelly?) as well as vastly overpriced for the benefit it provides. When do you seriously expect to get a setback die on a Knowledge check, after all?
If I'm not mistaken that might actually have happened in our first session of our game especially given that if you are trying to obtain knowledge on the seedy underbelly setback die and increase in difficulty actually makes sense.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Increase in difficulty is clearly based on rarity of knowledge so that's not a problem, and I could see setback dice based on mitigating factors during research (bad records, deliberate attempts to obscure facts, etc). However, given that so many Knowledge checks are simple "do I know anything about X" checks, offering the removal of setback dice on these leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Yeah as I understand it, Knowledge checks don't really represent gathering information. It's a check to see if you know something. I could see trying to recall an obscure fact in a stressful situation warranting a setback, or maybe if the fact is only tangentially related to the Knowledge skill, but that's about it.

If information is difficult to acquire because of obscurity, it should generate difficulty dice, full stop. Setback dice should represent factors that increase the liklihood of failure, but which are secondary to the difficulty of the action. I could see the presence of enhanced law enforcement on a given planet adding black dice to Streetwise checks (hard to work the criminal underworld when they're all in hiding) or Threat from previous social rolls adding black dice.

What I'm saying is that it's not hard to imagine where those dice would come from, but they're probably not going to be present on every roll. Or very often. The number of times I need to recall an important Underworld fact while in the midst of gunfire is going to be pretty low.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Trip Report from running Escape From Mos Schutta last night:

I had a buddy over last night and he and my wife decided that we should play an RPG. We initially were gonna play Fiasco since we hadn't prepped anything and had just played Dungeon World the other night, but then my friend spotted the Beginner's Box on my shelf and asked if we could run that adventure instead.

Since I had played through the adventure in Winson's (sadly aborted) PbP, I figured "why the hell not, how hard can it be with pre-statted characters and a plot I'm familiar with". So with absolutely zero prep, we started playing.

My bud was initially a bit disappointed with the railroady nature of the plot, but when I pointed out that it was his call to have me run a canned adventure with no time to plan out some alternate paths for them, he stopped his grousing and went with it.

We had a pretty great time; with only 2 PCs, I dialed back the combat encounters a bit, and I think I did so a little too much, since nobody was ever in much danger (but that fits for a pulpy Star Wars adventure). I forgot to properly implement range rules, and a played fast and loose with the dice pool building, but it was still a great time and I can't wait to reconvene and do Long Arm of the Hutt.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry for double post, but this is a completely new thought, so I figured it warranted bumping the thread up.

I discovered something that we did wrong in Winson's game (and in the one I ran IRL), straight from the rule book, each NET success adds 1 to weapon damage. We had been running it as every success beyond the initial one.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

jivjov posted:

Sorry for double post, but this is a completely new thought, so I figured it warranted bumping the thread up.

I discovered something that we did wrong in Winson's game (and in the one I ran IRL), straight from the rule book, each NET success adds 1 to weapon damage. We had been running it as every success beyond the initial one.
I'm a linguistic baby and don't know things: what's the difference?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Let's say after cancellations you have 3 successes.

If it's each net success adds +1 damage, that's +3 damage.
If it's each (also net) success beyond the first adds +1 damage, that's +2 damage.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I guess I didn't phrase it very well, but from what I can glean from the beginner box rulebook its supposed to be +1 damage for every success you have left after cancellations. Does anyone with the Beta book have any insight?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

If you go one page back this whole thing is discussed and resolved. The devs confirmed that every uncancelled success adds damage.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
After reading this, it just seems overly complicated.... any chance anyone's gonna run an old school SWD6 game anytime soon? I feel like that system just nailed it, in terms of simplicity and just letting you pickup and play.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
This one is simpler than the d6 version, IMO, especially in play.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Blamestorm posted:

This one is simpler than the d6 version, IMO, especially in play.

I completely agree.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Fuuuuuuck.

quote:

A Slight Delay
An Update on the Star Wars (R): Edge of the Empire (TM) Core Rulebook
Star Wars: Edge of the Empire | Published 04 April 2013

Earlier this year, we announced the upcoming release of the Star Wars®: Edge of the Empire™ Core Rulebook. The first of three standalone roleplaying systems, the Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook invites players to experience the thrills and adventures of life on the outskirts and the fringes of the Star Wars galaxy.

When we first announced Edge of the Empire, we projected a release date sometime in the second quarter of 2013. However, a minor delay has required that we alter the release date slightly. The Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Core Rulebook, Roleplay Dice pack, and Game Master’s Kit will now be on sale the first week in July.

Adventure on the Outer Rim
We’re confident that you’ll find Edge of the Empire well worth the wait. With stories focusing on a part of the Star Wars universe not commonly explored, this 448-page hardcover book offers an innovative game system that lets you ply your trade as a smuggler in the Outer Rim, collect bounties on the scum that live in the shadows of Coruscant, or try to establish a new colony on a planet beneath the Empire’s notice. In Edge of the Empire, every character has a past worth a story, your every step can lead to riches or peril, and you can visit the shadiest and most remote locations in the Star Wars universe.

Learn more by reading our series of previews or by visiting our Edge of the Empire website, then keep checking back. Star Wars: Edge of the Empire is coming this July!

Dammit, just release the PDF already!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

we need a :ffg: emote. :negative:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Huh. There might not even be a PDF according to one of the forum posts? Something about requiring an alternative license that FFG might not have paid for? If so that sucks.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm not upset about the delay itself, I'm upset that this will delay the order I have placed at Cool Stuff Inc since they only ship once everything in your order is ready.

Complaint retracted. I emailed Cool Stuff and they split my order up for me. :D

jivjov fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Apr 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Huh. There might not even be a PDF according to one of the forum posts? Something about requiring an alternative license that FFG might not have paid for? If so that sucks.

This is breaking my heart. I move around so often I can't justify buying physical books anymore and get just about everything in pdf. Where did you find this info?

• Locked thread