Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

I've still got 900 left after bills and I'm thinking tint and a radio deck that I can plug Pandora into.

This is the right time to invest those $0.9K in Ultimate Force business plans. Then use the profit to build a Viperceptor (has been done).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Here's a pic of the parts I tried posting earlier.

Mid steering shaft and the firewall bearing (or BOOT) which it passes through. Not pictured is the lower shaft which I have already replaced. These are wear items, and if you own an '02 or older Panther this is an important part to help the steering and front end feel tight and correct. People rebuild their front ends thinking it's the problem when it's the steering shafts that need to be replaced. Symptoms are "loose" and clunky steering wheel feel, almost like the wheel itself has loose bearings. The knuckle you see on the end of the mid shaft sits right next to exhaust manifold and essentially gets the grease baked out of it. It is not serviceable so it needs to be replaced.

It's recommended that if you rebuild the front end you also replace these parts. Prices quoted from Tousley Ford and are usually the best prices on the net.

Lower Shaft: F8AZ-3B676-AA $129.99

Mid Shaft: YW7Z-3B676-AA $109.75

Bearing (boot): 2W7Z-3C611-AA $25.43

[edit] The family Led Sled:

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 3, 2013

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I just had 2 four to 6 year old boys drag their parents over across the parking lot to look at the 'cool car.' :3:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Doesn't the firewall gasket for the steering shaft get worn out too?

Doesn't look like the bearing kit comes with it based on that pic (although it is called the boot..) and you should definitely replace it while you're doing the shaft (hurr).

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC
I wish the last time I was in a cop car they had seats like that. All I got was a normal plastic bench.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Doesn't the firewall gasket for the steering shaft get worn out too?

Guess I'll find out. The guy that did the writeup on CV.net didn't mention it so I'm assuming it can be re used.

I'm also going to be completely replacing the rear air suspension with new air bags and compressor soon so that should be interesting. Gonna need to pick up some 6 ton jack stands because my 3 tons are kinda sketchy under the Vic :ohdear:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Scheduled my tint appointment for Thursday morning. I'm not going to go full on limo dark, but I definitely think with the black wheels and black rear on the trunk, some dark windows would look good. Also, first car I've owned that I personally felt tint would not look like rear end on.

I've spent so loving long playing catch up on my cars its about time I get to do something appearance-wise.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

Also this is already the biggest engine by displacement and raw numbers that I've ever owned, the next closest even comparable was the 2.5 in my E30 and (displacement wise) the 2.6s in the Froot Truck 2 and Starion. Everything else has been 2L or smaller, and I'm up to 17 cars now I think at last count. Maybe 18.

Do the Froot Truck or the Starion even count, since neither ever ran?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I looked at about a dozen CV's today in my car lot jaunt and man, I just don't see what you guys do. They do nothing at all for me. But I'm still glad you got a nice car 14"!

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

Splizwarf posted:

Do the Froot Truck or the Starion even count, since neither ever ran?

IIRC Froot Truck ran and drove, for suitably small values of "run" and "drive".

This thing is amazing, though. Next order of business is find a Grand Marquis, or, if they'll fit, a Town Car from which to pull seats. Those front seats look lost in the interior, and bench seats are awesome in cars like this. To say nothing of that back seat; now, I'm not going to get in a dickwaving contest over who's kinkier with a man with a bolt through said dick, but I've never found myself needing car seats specifically adapted to transport someone in handcuffs, but suffice it to say that I don't think you'll have much call for that particular feature, and probably a lot more call for seats someone would want to sit in/seats that haven't seen every possible fluid a human body can produce.
Speaking of seats, from another forum I used to be on comes a tale of a gentleman who worked at an automotive electrics shop who, in the process of de-commissioning an old squad car, discovered behind the back seat backrest a loaded snub-nose .38 special revolver. Figuring they'd like to know about it, he phoned the police department the car had belonged to. The detective who turned up to collect the pistol was the one who had been assigned the car; his only comment was something along the lines of "Heh. I knew that sumbitch had a gun on him!"

Is the speedo "Certified Calibrated"? Does it have a low-gear blockout, or any other weird-rear end police-package specific equipment?

I think you've made a great find here; these are excellent cars for someone who knows how to work on cars, lots of little stuff will be worn out but the base vehicle itself is tough as old boots. Even the frame on the P71 is tougher than the normal CV frame.

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
They make great swamp and offroad cars too. Or mountain climbing. Hell, pretty much anything. But I've definitely tested the swamp. I sold my grand marquis to my brother, but if ever there was a car that I felt could take on anything, it was that one. I'll probably buy another someday. Perhaps a late 90's model.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

11BulletCatcher posted:

They make great swamp and offroad cars too. Or mountain climbing. Hell, pretty much anything.

For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHvXi_HejnI

and:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFwPXEeJ3aI

Terrible music in both, but...

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Mar 4, 2013

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Rhyno posted:

So I looked at about a dozen CV's today in my car lot jaunt and man, I just don't see what you guys do. They do nothing at all for me. But I'm still glad you got a nice car 14"!

But POLICE CAR!

I was looking pretty hard for one to be the family beater race car, but my computer died a coupe of weks ago and I used up my money to buy another. Am I crazy for wanting one as a 3 driver autocross/rallycross car? I am still wanting to buy in a couple of months when I get my stacks back up.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

As mentioned a huge part of it is Because Cop Car, but also for me as stated I wanted something cheap, easy to fix, (possibly but didnt have to be) American, and relatively comfortable. This is the first car I've ever owned with working ice cold AC! Which of course comes in handy during the scorching, hellish Seattle summers let me tell you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

And they are reliable as hell. Mine has over 140k, has never let me down, and I'm just now starting to replace suspension parts. Before the only thing I've done to it is basic maintenance and tires. Did brakes once and a rear axle too. The mpg isn't the greatest obviously, but I'll take the trade off. Every time I think about getting something European to replace it I slap myself in the face because I'll probably never have it this good reliability wise.... Crown Vic and a Miata, can't get much better than that :v:

Aflicted
Jun 9, 2007
I worked for a county government in their IT department and my county vehicle was a re-purposed Sheriff's car. I had lots of fun in that thing, and it was pretty beat to hell. It drove fine, until I managed to chew the gears in the rear diff, is this common? The county maintenance guys also told me that they had bored the motor out at one point and that it used to be a hell of a runner. I didn't know anything about CVs but it was fun. After I chewed the rear end in it, they fixed it up and we had it a little while longer before they took it away for some reason. I was then provided a blacked out dodge dakota club cab that was confiscated by the narcotics team. I always wondered if I was a rolling target in some neighborhoods with it.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
This is my dad's old '97

It had 190k on it, and nothing loving worked because he neglected the poo poo out of it. He's so cruel to his cars :( 3/4 windows didn't work, A/C had been broken for years, the stereo was wonky, the driver's door panel was falling off and held in with long screws and washers, the clearcoat was peeling, there were numerous dents and gouges (and bad rust galore, of course, because that's what happens when you live in Michigan and the car doesn't see a car wash EVER because it's "a waste of money"), it got 15 - 20k mile oil changes (dino, of course). And the drat thing was still running just fine somehow. I don't know what the gently caress.

He sold it just a few months ago for (IIRC) $900. I didn't think he'd get a cent over $500.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

This is the first car I've ever owned with working ice cold AC! Which of course comes in handy during the scorching, hellish Seattle summers let me tell you.

Don't knock A/C even in Seattle, mine's been busted for years (not in Seattle) and working A/C is essential to de-fogging the windshield when it's raining and wet people get in the car. :(

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I thought defrosting a car meant rolling the window down and pulling an Ace Ventura.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Oh thank god a new av. I can finally browse this thread at work again.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

opengl128 posted:

Oh thank god a new av. I can finally browse this thread at work again.

Ha, so true. I wonder when his name will change again. Officer 14 inch dick detective?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I was thinking 14 INCH DRAG QUEEN but really that's a discussion for the off topic thread.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Grandpa's avatar! Noooooooooo...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I kinda miss the old one for some weird reason :smith:

I've also had recurring nightmares about mine, they're getting old.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!
I still like "14 INCH PRIVATE DICK."

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

14 INCH GRANDPA posted:

I was thinking 14 INCH DRAG QUEEN but really that's a discussion for the off topic thread.

I do know of a pretty awesome drag brunch in seattle....

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I think this is probably the best I could fit within the character limits. (cop farts)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Why isn't that avatar animated?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Because I dont know how to :shobon: also my friend suggested making it in black and white.

Francis Baconator
Jul 11, 2008

Thanks for the avatar man!

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Because I dont know how to :shobon: also my friend suggested making it in black and white.
14 INCH DETECTIVE NOIR

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
Not using Tracer Bullet from Calvin and Hobbes.

http://onlyhdwallpapers.com/high-definition-wallpaper/calvin-and-hobbes-tracer-bullet-desktop-hd-wallpaper-706551/

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I WAS SWEATIN' BULLETS.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

InterceptorV8 posted:

Not using Tracer Bullet from Calvin and Hobbes.

"I had three shots in me, one was lead, the other two, Sockington."

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Actual P71 question, wheres the antenna mount for the radio? I've got an antenna wire in the dash hooked to the stock am/fm crown vic radio, which then appears to run down to the glovebox then near the passenger door hinge. Without gutting my car, wheres the likely end to the wire?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Behind rear seat/in trunk.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I followed the antenna wire to the trunk where it makes a U turn into the rear passenger pillar and goes upward. This thing is on my roof, is this my antenna mount? I've never seen one so wide before, if it is what kind of antenna can I use for my radio?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

That looks a lot more like a two-way than an AM/FM antenna to me. Did you trace it all the way?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Mine was on one of the quarter panels, but it was a non-cop '97 Grand Marquis (replacement for my first car, an '87). drat this thread for making me nostalgic for them both!

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

Actual P71 question, wheres the antenna mount for the radio? I've got an antenna wire in the dash hooked to the stock am/fm crown vic radio, which then appears to run down to the glovebox then near the passenger door hinge. Without gutting my car, wheres the likely end to the wire?

I don't have a P71, but I do have the Ford repair manual for several different models. Here's what it says about the 02 CV antenna:

The antenna is concealed on the inside of the rear window glass. The AM antenna consists of the rear window defroster grid and the FM antenna is the conductive tracing above the rear window defroster grid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
14 INCH DICK TRACY?