Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Oops. My fault.

Do not worry! They are still technically spoilers, because now you know what is not in the game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whoa. Wife Turds
Jan 23, 2004

FELLOW GOONS: WHEN THIS POSTER OFFERS TO BRAID YOUR PUBES, SAY NO!!!

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Oops. My fault.

Sorry that was dickish I'm just pissed I can't get this working smoothly :v:

Token Cracker
Dec 22, 2004
..and the award for best Apocalypse Now reference in a game goes to Tomb Raider.

That whole section is rad as hell.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

SurrealityCheck posted:

Do not worry! They are still technically spoilers, because now you know what is not in the game!

I just encountered the hulking spectral samurai so tree witches and finger demons don't seem so left field anymore.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Winks posted:

Individually stranded hair is really hard. No, seriously.

Thing is, AMD cards can do it with little effort. The proprietary tech is build specifically for AMD's architecture, and supposedly runs really smoothly on it (can a goon with an AMD card confirm?). Its when Nvidia cards try to run it that problems arise.

Whoa. Wife Turds posted:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/533528/pc-games/tomb-raider-crash-issue/

I tried every fix in this thread and I can no longer play more than 2 minutes regardless of what I do without crashing to desktop. Had that Far Cry 3 type video glitch before the crashes started. Really, really frustrated. Using GTX 670.

Really? This game is still playable for hours on my 660ti. It seems very specific spots have said problems. I could replicate one of the crashes but wasn't able to check the others; artefacting happens very rarely, but conically in certain paths. A 670 shouldn't be much different since it utilizes the same chip as the 660ti.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 6, 2013

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is there any obvious point of no return where you can't go back to collect the stuff you missed?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

ymgve posted:

Is there any obvious point of no return where you can't go back to collect the stuff you missed?

Yes.

Its called the Point of No Return. ( with the popup saying "Hey, last chance." )

e: After the game ends though, it let's you continue from that point to finish collecting everything.

ee: Just beat it. Took 6 hours according to Steam. That's with me doing every optional Tomb, and not dying all that many times. However I did skip most of the collections, and at the two major openended areas of the game, decided to keep moving forward for more story rather then messing around with the rope arrows. Had I gone for all the collectibles, I probably could have eked out 8, as I'm pretty sure that's around 6.5 hours.

I liked it quite a bit. The story started somewhat strong, and fell off as it went along, but I didn't really mind that much, my big issue with it wasn't the whole Lara is weak stuff, but rather they build up all this anticipation towards the Oni, the storms, and Himiko, then in the end don't really do anything with it at all. It also didn't feel supernatural enough I guess to make up for that, I was expecting Himiko would be dead, and the Japanese/Axis made a weather center there that was loving everything up, but instead nope, magical lady right at the end. I guess it wasn't enough for me either way, had their been more explanation I would have been happy, or if they had more mystery I would have been happy, as is, it felt like it straddled the safety line a bit to closely, satisfying neither.

All the major story beats/twists were obvious miles away sadly, and it really felt like they didn't trust their audience to catch things. The storms being connected to the island was obvious really early on, and it felt like Lara figured it out as well, yet halfway through the game she suddenly sat down, looked really puzzled then figured it out. The Himiko soul vessel stuff was even worse, she had the entire game to figure it out, yet only did right at the end. I mean hell, she basically spelled it out earlier in the game, then shrugged and moved on. Same with the Whitman stuff, it kept getting brought up over and over again, to make sure we got the point, right before he does his thing, and suddenly everyone in the game is very surprised by it.

Still, even with all that bitching, I really enjoyed it. The combat wasn't anything special, but at the same time, I had some tough spots with all sorts of enemies attacking at once, which forced me out of my comfort zone for third person shooters. I liked all the collection stuff, and if I didn't have a backlog the size of an island, I'd probably go back and grab most of it, just for the history lessons. I liked the optional tombs. And I hope they get a chance to make a sequel that expands on what they accomplished with this game.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Mar 6, 2013

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jump scare QTE's are fun, but that first time when you have to do the series of QTE's by kneeing the pirate then struggling then shooting him in the face got really old watching her die horribly again and again until I realized that "!" means "f". Who the gently caress thought of that? And seriously, I don't need to see closeups of a terrified 20-something woman getting brutally murdered. The whole thing seems like someone watched a bunch of 70's gore and exploitation films and didn't get the camp or irony.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

Man, this is some Scary Stories To Tell In The Dark poo poo.

Like everyone else, Tressfx slows my framerate down to about 30 or so, but I haven't had a single crash yet on a gtx 660 with tesselation and v-sync turned off.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Multiplayer lobbies need a chat window.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just finished, and I really liked it. Wish the game was a bit less linear, though.

Also, those challenges that don't show up on the map are pure bullshit. Example: (slight equipment spoiler?) http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130983636 - that poster eluded me for like half an hour.

Of course, it's my own drat fault since they are entirely optional.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Rookersh posted:

Still, even with all that bitching, I really enjoyed it. The combat wasn't anything special, but at the same time, I had some tough spots with all sorts of enemies attacking at once, which forced me out of my comfort zone for third person shooters. I liked all the collection stuff, and if I didn't have a backlog the size of an island, I'd probably go back and grab most of it, just for the history lessons. I liked the optional tombs. And I hope they get a chance to make a sequel that expands on what they accomplished with this game.

I finished it and agree pretty much with everything you said. The story could have been much better and a lot of the NPCs were really useless apart from a tiny bit of backstory. Sam just gets captured like 6 times and Whitmans death was so disappointing in that no one even talks about him and his betrayels

Also the bit where you lose all your weapons and then are forced to use your bow only, right after the apocalypse now bit was by far the best part of the game for me. Makes me think that the gameplay would have been much betterg if you only had your bow and pick-axe to fight with, with less enemies and allowed you to sneak past enemies to avoid combat. As it is mowing down tons of enemies in a cover based shooter is just boring

Overall though the game was really atmospheric and I'd buy a sequel in a heartbeat.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Okay, the hair effects are really, really cool. In areas without wind Lara's hair seems to not have enough weight, but if there's wind around it looks amazing. Really impressive, and I cant wait to see them improve upon it and to see more games with hair like it.

The gameplay is pretty fun, though I'm not far in.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Here's a picture of all three of the early concepts that were leaked:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

Rookersh posted:

Yes.

Its called the Point of No Return. ( with the popup saying "Hey, last chance." )

e: After the game ends though, it let's you continue from that point to finish collecting everything.

ee: Just beat it. Took 6 hours according to Steam. That's with me doing every optional Tomb, and not dying all that many times. However I did skip most of the collections, and at the two major openended areas of the game, decided to keep moving forward for more story rather then messing around with the rope arrows. Had I gone for all the collectibles, I probably could have eked out 8, as I'm pretty sure that's around 6.5 hours.

Feels like the game is much longer. I think the Steam timer might be broken. I got home today around 2 and have been playing it almost non-stop until now and I only have 5 hours recorded, so something is definitely wrong there. Still feel like this is that 10-12 hour length they have. I think I'm through most of it.

It is supposed to Metroidvania-like right? That's the impression I'm getting but I'm not entirely sure how you can backtrack short of fast traveling.

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
Any idea why this (pretty great) graphics issue is happening?

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130993193

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=130993183

Pedialyte fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 6, 2013

JuHoZ
May 13, 2009
Preorders include the blackface camo dlc.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Dammit! The blackface throwback DLC isn't supposed to be out for another month... how'd you get it?!?!

Pedialyte
Jul 27, 2003

"With the breakdown of the Medieval system, the gods of Chaos, Lunacy, and Bad Taste gained ascendancy." Ignatius was writing in one of his Big Chief tablets.
For real though - she looks pretty brutal in that second shot.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
drat, my GTX 465 will not run that tessFX no matter what settings I choose. Updated my drivers to the .14 beta and still get 1 FPS when it is on, if I turn it off with everything else maxed out I get 40 FPS. I guess I will just wait for the patch to enjoy that, in the mean time this game has been a lot more fun than I expected, glad I was able to snatch it for $30.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Do the GPS cache things actually lead you somewhere?

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Lara Croft is... The Jazz Singer!

dongsweep posted:

drat, my GTX 465 will not run that tessFX no matter what settings I choose. Updated my drivers to the .14 beta and still get 1 FPS when it is on, if I turn it off with everything else maxed out I get 40 FPS. I guess I will just wait for the patch to enjoy that, in the mean time this game has been a lot more fun than I expected, glad I was able to snatch it for $30.

I have a GT450 and it honestly runs well enough during actual gameplay. The only time it drops to, like, 7fps is during cutscenes when you're really close to her hair. What I found worked is lowering things like Shadows and DoF to at least normal, as well as turning off that extra Fullscreen option and High Precision. Those options seem to be huge GPU hogs for us older card users, yet seem to have the least noticeable mark on the game (at least for me anyway. A shadow is a shadow is a shadow). You really shouldn't need to change the big things like detail level unless something's just really wonky with your system other than the card.

Yes, your cutscenes will suck until nVidia or Crystal release some kind of patch, but when you get to the actual gameplay you should be able to enjoy Lara's hair blowing in the windy wind in all its glory.

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Mar 6, 2013

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Why do I blow so much rear end at combat? All the enemies seem to be bullet sponges and the hit detection for headshots feels random. I'm almost at the end and I'm still having trouble.

I think it all started when machinegunners appeared. Those fuckers are so accurate and damaging that it almost feels like a bug.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
I haven't heard of bullet-spongy enemies (except for the ones that are supposed to be) even on the hardest difficulty. The bow has been pretty good honestly, and I've been aiming with a pad (when I could choose to use kb/m). Also the enemies with the machine guns are utter bullshit so you have to kind of manage staying in cover until they let off. If you are caught in the open though they are really good at ending you pretty quick. Kind of wish I had throwables to force them out of cover as well.

Pistol aim is kinda wonky, assault rifle kind of blooms way to quick so you kinda have to tap fire anyway (those two might just be from not using a mouse to shoot, but the AR does bloom really quick after shot #1) and the shotgun is literally useless unless you upgrade the choke so it doesn't spread out to infinity after a meter from you.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Snix posted:

Here's a picture of all three of the early concepts that were leaked:

This art looks awesome. Sacrifice animals to the sun goddess for parts, Vampire Lara!

CLAMBO!
May 6, 2007
Ok I'm probably dumb but I don't get what to do here. I'm like 4% into the game on the PC version and stuck at the part where you first encounter some russian dudes. Lara's hands are tied down and I'm sneaking up the hill when the boss russian finds Lara and chokes her. Right before he chokes her the camera scrolls down and it looks like it wants me to hit the action button but I've been mashing the drat thing and every other button on my keyboard and mouse and nothing happens, he still chokes her. Seems stupid but what the hell am I supposed to hit here?

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
Really enjoying this. My computer can manage the Ultimate settings and it is just unbelievable. It's like Heavy Rain quality visuals. Wonderful.

Gameplay is a little easy. If you can pull a headshot off then you can roll enemies pretty hard. The bow is cool but eh, you take the bow and I'll take the gun any day of the week. I don't feel any particular incentive to collect stuff.

yanthrax
Oct 18, 2004

straight in wit da barney rubble ridin spinnaz

CLAMBO! posted:

Ok I'm probably dumb but I don't get what to do here. I'm like 4% into the game on the PC version and stuck at the part where you first encounter some russian dudes. Lara's hands are tied down and I'm sneaking up the hill when the boss russian finds Lara and chokes her. Right before he chokes her the camera scrolls down and it looks like it wants me to hit the action button but I've been mashing the drat thing and every other button on my keyboard and mouse and nothing happens, he still chokes her. Seems stupid but what the hell am I supposed to hit here?

I think this was quoted a few pages back and it's "F". Someone brought up that they had an ! symbol. Definitely glad I plugged in my 360 pad.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

! is F for melee and the hand is E for grab, the icons are under the button mapping, a very stupid setup. When he has you on the ground they want you to grab to push the gun towards him.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
The QTE parts are not great and the death scenes are a tad overly gruesome, it's not suppose to be Dead Space here, but that's about the extent of my complaints. Also it took my videocard and melted it into slag, had to go out and buy a new one.

Stopped myself short in Shantytown because this game was so much fun I wanted to drag it out longer. How far along am I?

mmtt
May 8, 2009
Anyone has "Tomb Raider has stopped working" happen in middle of action parts ? I don't have a Nvidia card, but I'm running on Ultra, so that might be it ? I have a pretty nice rig so it's chugging along at 55 FPS according to the benchmark.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I really want QTEs to just die.

They are such a crutch mechanic and they ruin every game that have them for me. Come on developers, make your game intuitive, don't make me push buttons like I'm playing a different game. Do good design and you won't have to do Simon Says.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Irish Joe posted:

"Please kill me. Please."

BLAM BLAM

"Go to hell."

Lara's a bit of a jerk.

I didn't kill that guy, and the little weasel screamed out that I was there and alerted everyone.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Mordaedil posted:

I really want QTEs to just die.

They are such a crutch mechanic and they ruin every game that have them for me. Come on developers, make your game intuitive, don't make me push buttons like I'm playing a different game. Do good design and you won't have to do Simon Says.

They can stay if they stop using them as "press button not to die" bullshit.

They're fine if they're for some big climactic thing where you pull off something awesome. Only examples I can think of are from the earlier God of War games. There's a sense of payoff there, rather than the game trying to feed you a cheap, underhanded "gotcha!" moment.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mazed posted:

They can stay if they stop using them as "press button not to die" bullshit.

They're fine if they're for some big climactic thing where you pull off something awesome. Only examples I can think of are from the earlier God of War games. There's a sense of payoff there, rather than the game trying to feed you a cheap, underhanded "gotcha!" moment.

I honestly don't like them even then, because they ask the player to do perform some instructions presented on the screen instead of acting intuitively with the control scheme already established.

It causes a weird dissonance where in one second you are playing a game where you are just finally getting immersed and then suddenly they ask you to play this other game, which is Dance Dance Revolution before you can continue playing that other game.

I will admit, some of the set-pieces, like climbing rapidly up an incline while water is running down and your struggling in mud would be difficult if not impossible to do with any other control-scheme, but I still don't feel like that should be the focus. It's lazy design.

Thievery
Jul 15, 2008

What happens in 3rd Street stays in 3rd Street.

I think QTE's are loving great and always have, because I would much rather that I was hammering a button to make my character run away from something or react to a threat than to just have it play out in a cutscene. I cannot understand why people think that interacting with the game is a bad thing.

I am really enjoying this game so far, and the QTE's in it also make way more sense than in some games. If you are doing a melee action, which are most of them i've encountered so far, you press the melee button. It's just a way to give them more ways to show action and suspense without breaking your immersion since you still need to interact with the game. It is not "Lazy design" to make a dramatic scene require a slightly different control method.

Actually you know what, i'll even write an example. Pretty early game, just before you get a handgun, but spoilers anyway.

The scene where Lara's being attacked by the russian guy, fights him off, then they struggle for the gun and you shoot him in the head. I loving loved this, the desperate hammering of the X button as the gun slowly moved closer towards him and then being prompted to hit the fire button - an action I anticipated, because the QTE controls in this game are good - felt rewarding because my character had survived. If they had not used a QTE, what would have happened here? Either a cutscene, which would have been less powerful, or what, regular gameplay? How would that have worked?

Seriously QTE's are cool and if you think there is a disconnect from "Press melee button to melee" to "press melee button to melee but in a short cutscene" you are just wrong.

edit - This post makes me sound like a oval office but I am just so sick of goons acting like QTE's are some sort of physically offensive thing developers put in games just to spite them, especially when this game does them really well.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Actually, I would rather it just be a cut-scene, because then I'd at least have an opportunity to take a breather.

I'll concede that this game does some QTE's really well, but I still find QTEs to break the flow of what I am doing. And yes I feel there is a disconnect, because I go from having my entire controller mattering to one button. I go from being in control to having to put in an input. If that is "right", then I'd rather be "wrong".

If I cannot intuit what I should do, but have to be told, then something is terribly wrong with your game, is my perspective on it.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
People that don't like QTEs need to go find some sailors. :colbert:

It seems like as the game goes on more, the TressFX issue lessens up a bit. Cutscenes are still terribly bad FPS but somewhere or another the gameplay aspects started running fairly smoothly. I'm trying not to rush through the game, and even though I only really got to the first real parts of the action, I feel like everything I've heard makes the game sound short, and that worries me. This is really the first "story" game I've played in ages, so it's a little jarring to hear it's only 10 hours. I'm really having a blast so best to drag it out.

I'm a little bummed that the Zachary Levi multiplayer codes are apparently console only. That was something I was actually looking forward to more than most other parts of the game. :(

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Thievery posted:

Seriously QTE's are cool and if you think there is a disconnect from "Press melee button to melee" to "press melee button to melee but in a short cutscene" you are just wrong.

There's a definite disconnect between "Press multiple buttons to position your character, evade/block enemy attacks, possibly counterstrike, use other abilities, melee etc" and "press button to melee but in a short cutscene". Generally I dislike QTEs and like to be in full control of my character, instead of watching an interactive story where I push buttons when prompted to do so. But that's a personal preference.

Some games like The Witcher 2 blended QTEs into the actual combat gameplay decently though, and it wasn't overused. I remember that fight with the big tentacle thing in the first chapter or whatever and the few QTEs in that fit in fine.

I haven't bought this game yet but it looks pretty good otherwise. Only thing making me hesitant to buy is the game appearing to be too QTE heavy and maybe too linear. I'll probably wait for easter and see if Steam plops this on sale.

(there's going to be easter sales, right? :ohdear:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
From what I can tell (I'm pretty early on) it's QTE heavy in the start, but it gets less and less and more and more gameplay the further along you get. And there's a good size of the game with hidden nooks and crannies so it really seems to really give you an urge to come back later and explore.

• Locked thread