Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Full face helmets do attenuate the sounds around you. When I got a full face, it felt like I had poorer situational awareness as a result of that - getting used to hearing a lot less around me was bothersome to me for quite a while. I was really worried a car would sneak out of nowhere and surprise me. Now that I am used to it, I use my 3/4 to attempt to diagnose weird noises on my bikes as they're being ridden; I can hear EVERYTHING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
Despite the ATGATT mindset I do think it's a good idea every few months to ride around the neighborhood with out a helmet to get a base line for what your bike normally sounds like. Its much easier to diagnose weird noises with out a helmet, but hard if you never knew what it sounded like when its was running normally.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

You can do the same by just opening your visor and not wearing earplugs though. I can hear everything clear as day through my Sheoi.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I like my Shoei and everything but I will tell you without any bullshit that it muffles sounds WAY more, even with the visor up and no plugs in (I don't usually wear earplugs anyhow), than a half or 3/4 lid.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pokey Araya posted:

Despite the ATGATT mindset I do think it's a good idea every few months to ride around the neighborhood with out a helmet to get a base line for what your bike normally sounds like. Its much easier to diagnose weird noises with out a helmet, but hard if you never knew what it sounded like when its was running normally.

Sure, but if you always ride with a helmet you'll have just as good an idea of what is normal and what is a new weird sound, just that you have to have your helmet on to recognize it.

Also the wind noise alone at 60mph is above the threshold that causes permanent hearing damage, so you know, enjoy your beanie freedom and clear engine sound while it lasts.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I wear a full face and earplugs every time, you'll notice i said I ride around the neighborhood every few months, not ALLDAYEVERYDAY'MERICAYOUAINTTAKINMYFREEDOMSKULLCAPFORLIFE.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I like how you make a tidy hyperbolic connection directly from "every few months to ride around the neighborhood with out a helmet" to "the wind noise alone at 60mph is above the threshold that causes permanent hearing damage". Bravo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The second line was directed at the general concept of wearing a 3/4 or shorty helmet, but don't let me stop you from overreacting to a perceived insult.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think you're really understanding how helmets are designed.

It's almost as if you've worn the same helmet I own, and compared it to wearing other helmets, and are thus speaking from experience rather than :goonsay:ing all over the place... except I'm guessing you haven't, and aren't :(

Blast from the past:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I love that bike and I want that bike. So bad.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Let that soak in for a minute.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
I ride with earplug headphones turned up pretty loud. Have never been in a situation where I thought "WISH I COULDVE HEARD THAT" because you can't hear poo poo anyway.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

clutchpuck posted:

Full face helmets do attenuate the sounds around you. When I got a full face, it felt like I had poorer situational awareness as a result of that - getting used to hearing a lot less around me was bothersome to me for quite a while. I was really worried a car would sneak out of nowhere and surprise me. Now that I am used to it, I use my 3/4 to attempt to diagnose weird noises on my bikes as they're being ridden; I can hear EVERYTHING.

Yo are you loving retarded or something?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

HNasty posted:

Doesn't clutchpuck own a bike with a Harley motor that isn't a Harley?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

invision posted:

I ride with earplug headphones turned up pretty loud. Have never been in a situation where I thought "WISH I COULDVE HEARD THAT" because you can't hear poo poo anyway.

You didn't have a cop behind you for a mile and a half. Been there paid the fine for that.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

You didn't have a cop behind you for a mile and a half. Been there paid the fine for that.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

So if you didn't have a full helmet on you would have heard what? The tire noise on his crown vic? If you can't check your mirrors or look over your shoulder you're seriously lacking in attention, adding a bunch of noise is not going to help you in that regard. Use the attention span you have for important things not for listening to a bunch of useless noise. I've been riding for 10+ years never have I ever regretted not being able to hear a car "sneaking" up on me, I have however bounced my face off the pavement a few times.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I tried listening to music while riding a few times, but I found that I'd get into the groove of a really good song and find myself riding increasingly dongishly and dangerously. Like, I'd anticipate a really good part of the song and drop down two gears and slam open the throttle when it hit and take off (relatively, it's still a 350) way faster than I should be riding, shooting past the cars in a cloud of bliss.

So I stopped doing that, unfortunately.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I listen to podcasts usually, they don't drown out background noise like music does. Plus skipping songs or whatever is a pain with gloves on and my phone buried in my jacket.

post pictures you sperg lords

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Sagebrush posted:

I tried listening to music while riding a few times, but I found that I'd get into the groove of a really good song and find myself riding increasingly dongishly and dangerously. Like, I'd anticipate a really good part of the song and drop down two gears and slam open the throttle when it hit and take off (relatively, it's still a 350) way faster than I should be riding, shooting past the cars in a cloud of bliss.

So I stopped doing that, unfortunately.

You just gotta adjust your road accordingly. I podcast for commutes and cruises, backroads get this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkICQUTZERg

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

nsaP posted:

You just gotta adjust your road accordingly. I podcast for commutes and cruises, backroads get this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkICQUTZERg

Ding Ding - You've won the competition between you and Sagebrush for who can make the douchiest sounding post.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

n8r posted:

Ding Ding - You've won the competition between you and Sagebrush for who can make the douchiest sounding post.

Sagebrush :c00l: :respek: :c00l:

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

nsaP posted:

What this man said. There is some music I can't listen to while riding, it changes my enthusiasm too much to be safe. And Bat Out of Hell by Meat Loaf is just inviting disaster.

I often put good earbuds in to reduce wind noise, especially if I'm taking my track helmet out to stretch it some. At 100 km/h, I can't hear my music anyway and the engine beneath me isn't the loudest thing. The buds reduce the volume enough I feel the NEED TO YELL WHEN I GET OFF THE BIKE AFTER A FEW HOURS.

I've yet to have something sneak up behind me. I was taught when I learned to drive to scan the mirrors and dials every few seconds.

snail fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 6, 2013

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

HNasty posted:

So if you didn't have a full helmet on you would have heard what? The tire noise on his crown vic? If you can't check your mirrors or look over your shoulder you're seriously lacking in attention, adding a bunch of noise is not going to help you in that regard. Use the attention span you have for important things not for listening to a bunch of useless noise. I've been riding for 10+ years never have I ever regretted not being able to hear a car "sneaking" up on me, I have however bounced my face off the pavement a few times.

Errr?? I was referring to listening to music loudly through earbuds, not a full face. For the record, it's hard to play attention when you're cruising with a throttle lock on and air drumming to "In the air tonight"...

I actually had the charge dismissed, but now I ride with 1 earplug and 1 earbud, which is apparently legal.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I wanna ride this thing so bad, Eric Bostrom's custom Kawasaki that was on Ride Apart. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEDor5556io

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Pokey Araya posted:

I wanna ride this thing so bad, Eric Bostrom's custom Kawasaki that was on Ride Apart

Really doesn't seem like it'd be that much work to make a similar one:

Buy a new model Z1000, replace the front headlight and take the plastic off, a little welding for the new subframe and gas tank (can probably just modify the stock one), an aftermarket exhaust, and some plastic molding and you'd be there.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 6, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

nsaP posted:

Good song, that one. I listen to a range of things while riding, but the one that really gets me way too riled up is this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BejgJThwuLw

It just builds and builds and builds.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
These have been the best earbud tips I've found

And headphones these days have remotes built in, providing a button which will pause/play and skip songs.

Z3n was talking about a helmet mounted intercom/bluetooth headset, I've been meaning to look into that.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sena smh10.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Speaking of which, I still have your SMH5 boom and bracket I need to give back. :v:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Sena smh10.

The three way intercom on the new firmware is awesome. Got to test it out last weekend.

A+++++ would talk again.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I use one of these http://www.scosche.com/car-accessories/controlfreq-wireless-car-sport-rf-remote-for-ipod-iphone-and-ipad
with the remote on the triple.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Xovaan posted:

You can do the same by just opening your visor and not wearing earplugs though. I can hear everything clear as day through my Sheoi.

To be fair that's probably more to do with the chinese knock-off you're wearing more than anything else.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

obso posted:

Let that soak in for a minute.

Huh that's kind of nea...wtf :aaaaa:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HNasty posted:

I won't deny this.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
As we're talking about headsets got to just once again big up Cardo - not only is their kit pretty damned good but their customer service is fantastic. I ordered a new foam sock for the mic and they accidentally sent me the wrong one. I dropped them an email asking them how I could go about replacing it and in less than an hour they'd sent (via overnight DHL from France) 4 new socks of the proper type and also a replacement clamp plate because I'd happened to enquire about their availability.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

NitroSpazzz posted:

Huh that's kind of nea...wtf :aaaaa:

What am I missing? Just that someone put a ton of effort into a pocket bike?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

3-legged 350CC 2T sounds pretty rad to me. It's the same config as the H1R.

Noise: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3952721413245

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

hayden. posted:

What am I missing? Just that someone put a ton of effort into a pocket bike?

I'll take a stab. Is it the 3 cylinder engine?

Edit - Need to refresh more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Something about this GSX-R 1000's engine note makes my mouth water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OiB8ZC9-jrU

Part of it reminds me of the Hawker Hunter's blue note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EcF0olwlBw

Or is the drool just coming from the inevitable decomposition of my brain as I turn squid?