Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Contact them. I was told end of the month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Holy poo poo, I never knew mechanical keyboards were this good. I just got the Logitech G710+. I haven't used any other ones but I love this keyboard. It's $100 on amazon right now (If you go to other sellers it will show up under $100 at amazon but out of stock. Mine shipped in 3 days)

Highly recommend.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

It took a while, but wow, what a difference. Love the o-ring mod, will throw the rest on the WASD with Cherry Blacks

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I've been using Microsoft Natural (Elite) keyboards for nearly 20 years, just the plain white OEM version that has a PS2 connector with a USB dongle and no media controls or scroll wheels or padded wrist rests or whatever. Apparently they've been discontinued and are going for $150+ NIB on ebay. What's the closest I'm going to be able to find to replace it? MS Natural Ergonomic 4000? Is there seriously no other split layout keyboard that's a bit more minimal?

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

Lawen posted:

I've been using Microsoft Natural (Elite) keyboards for nearly 20 years, just the plain white OEM version that has a PS2 connector with a USB dongle and no media controls or scroll wheels or padded wrist rests or whatever. Apparently they've been discontinued and are going for $150+ NIB on ebay. What's the closest I'm going to be able to find to replace it? MS Natural Ergonomic 4000? Is there seriously no other split layout keyboard that's a bit more minimal?

Check out the Kinesis Freestyle2 for a minimalist split keyboard. https://www.thehumansolution.com has the best price on those I think.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Are the monoprice keyboards any good? Like this Cherry MX Blue one?

If not, I pretty much want one just like that. No lights, USB hubs, audio ports, media keys, or macro keys. None of that.

Interested in the Cherry Blue or Brown switches. Any suggestions?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Goose Halo posted:

Are the monoprice keyboards any good? Like this Cherry MX Blue one?

If not, I pretty much want one just like that. No lights, USB hubs, audio ports, media keys, or macro keys. None of that.

Interested in the Cherry Blue or Brown switches. Any suggestions?

They're produced by an OEM that a lot of people criticize for their poor build quality (iOne). You might look at the Rosewill boards sold on newegg and amazon. On newegg there's regularly sales that put them in the $80 range and soemtimes even lower.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

krooj posted:

Contact them. I was told end of the month.

FWIW, I called them yesterday, and now they're saying mid-March for later orders, like mine. It would have been nice if they sent an email regarding the delay.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Rexxed posted:

They're produced by an OEM that a lot of people criticize for their poor build quality (iOne). You might look at the Rosewill boards sold on newegg and amazon. On newegg there's regularly sales that put them in the $80 range and soemtimes even lower.

Get a Rosewill. They are rebadged Filcos.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

krooj posted:

FWIW, I called them yesterday, and now they're saying mid-March for later orders, like mine. It would have been nice if they sent an email regarding the delay.

I ordered 5 days after the announcement and still got pushed to mid-March. I got a notification email about it a few days ago. Sounds like this thing is gonna be great of demand is so huge.

It sucks to have to wait, but the plus side is we get units from the second production run, which hopefully has fewer bugs.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Oh, http://mechanicalkeyboards.com has a buying guide now that actually makes their site useful. You can filter out the out of stock items. :downs: Or maybe they always had it.

Any opinions on the Vortex KBT One? Google search comes up sparse.

I guess I'm wary of the Rosewill boards because every newegg review mentions the mini USB port getting disconnected.

crimedog fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 27, 2013

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Goose Halo posted:

Oh, http://mechanicalkeyboards.com has a buying guide now that actually makes their site useful. You can filter out the out of stock items. :downs: Or maybe they always had it.

I guess I'm wary of the Rosewill boards because every newegg review mentions the mini USB port getting disconnected.

I recently bought the Vortex KBT Race (no backlight, blue switches) and I love the keyboard. There are only a couple of things I'm not really liking though. the first one being that my X key had a K keycap. But I emailed MechanicalKeyboard Support and they shipped me out an X keycap the same day. The second issue being that the letters fade quick. I've had this keyboard for 4 days now and the WASD keys are all worn. Maybe too much Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer? Who knows, but it's the first time I've seen letters on a keycap wear so fast. But I guess I could always buy a new set of keycaps.

Other than that, the keyboard is great and I love the thing to death.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Goose Halo posted:

The Vortex is apparently another Costar board, possibly their house brand in taiwan, more weird info here. I wouldn't bother buying that board in the US, it's more expensive only because it's imported in limited quantities by a boutique reseller. A bunch of people on geekhack have the KBT Poker, but that's a totally different thing.

Goose Halo posted:

That isn't as big a deal anymore, they changed the mini-usb connector so it's more firmly fixed to the board (pic here). Of course it could still break, but I think you'd have to either knock something against it or move the keyboard around a ton to break it. I've thought about getting a right-angled connector, but mostly just for cord positioning.

If you're nervous about the rosewills, the other standard entry level mechanical is one of the Cooler Master variants.

I'm just starting to notice the lettering on a few of my keycaps wearing (A, S, and left shift). Kinda disappointed by that, I've only had mine for 4 months. Evidently that's just what happens to lasered white-on-black keys, the surface wears a bit and the plastic underneath is more light grey than white. Now I'm thinking about joining a geekhack group buy for double-shot keycaps. :suicide:

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

HolySwissCheese posted:

I ordered 5 days after the announcement and still got pushed to mid-March. I got a notification email about it a few days ago. Sounds like this thing is gonna be great of demand is so huge.

It sucks to have to wait, but the plus side is we get units from the second production run, which hopefully has fewer bugs.

Oh, so you got an email notification? I'm pretty excited for this keyboard, because right now I'm using a CMStorm with MX blues at home and a Topre 87U at work. Neither have an optimal layout for OS X, and remapping only gets me so far.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to go for one of the Rosewill boards. Now I gotta choose between blue or brown. Too bad the brown is slightly more expensive. But seriously, thanks again.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Goose Halo posted:

Thanks for the help guys. I think I'm going to go for one of the Rosewill boards. Now I gotta choose between blue or brown. Too bad the brown is slightly more expensive. But seriously, thanks again.

If you really like browns it will be worth paying a little more or waiting. I believe there was a rumor about current price of brown switches being slightly higher due to a shortage when Logitech bought a ton of them for their new mechanical keyboard. I like blues but I used a Model M for over 10 years and non clicky keyboards feel strange to me.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Went ahead and ordered a Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja with brown switches off of The Keyboard Company. :dance:

I know a guy a person recommended getting a CM keyboard, but I'm shallow and didn't like the way it looks.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005

krooj posted:

Oh, so you got an email notification? I'm pretty excited for this keyboard, because right now I'm using a CMStorm with MX blues at home and a Topre 87U at work. Neither have an optimal layout for OS X, and remapping only gets me so far.

Yeah, I ordered a Laptop Pro on January 13th or so. It looks like the first run of keyboards sold out almost right away.

The reviews of their other stuff looks great, even their other mechanical BT model, and this looks like it's really similar, just without the tenkey. They've been iterating on the Tactile Pro and Quiet Pro for years now, so I'm pretty confident. I do wish the Laptop Pro would come with white keycaps instead of black, but that's life.

Goose Halo posted:

Haha that's funny, that guide ended up telling me to buy the keyboard that I ordered a month ago.

HolySwissCheese fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 28, 2013

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Yeah their guide gave that Vortex keyboard in my other post a 10/10 for me, but I suppose I'm trying the Rosewill for $50 less. If it burns me, it burns me. I'll report back of course. Settled on the Blues by the way.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

ulvir posted:

Went ahead and ordered a Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja with brown switches off of The Keyboard Company. :dance:

I know a guy a person recommended getting a CM keyboard, but I'm shallow and didn't like the way it looks.

I have a Ninja with browns I use at work and it's the best god drat keyboard. Looks cool, feels great, sturdy, and as a bonus the lettering won't fade. I'm sure you'll be really happy with it.

\/ I'm that guy :(

General Emergency fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 28, 2013

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
You'll love it. I'm really tempted to get a second to use as my work keyboard, but I don't want to be that guy who brings his keyboard to work, and I'm not sure if the noise would bother my colleagues. Browns aren't that loud though I guess.

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train
I must say, the build quality on Rosewill is noticably better than that of the CM Storms. Amazon shipped me a Rosewill Red on accident, and being located in Turkey I was unable to change it back to Blue. So I ordered a CM Storm Blue. It gives me increased focus by allowing me to center the main typing area on my desk (on a full-size, the home rows would be on the left) but it does not feel as solid as the Rosewill. Does Rosewill make tenkeyless editions?

I must say that the Reds were the bomb for gaming. It's a little harder to game on the Blues, but I spend at least six hours a day typing and often not even that much a week on gaming, so the choice is clear. But it's nothing like the buckling springs I had in the Model M that came with my 486. Must have been one of the last runs. I foolishly took it apart when I was 11 or so, assuming that all keyboards were basically the same. I wish I had it today. In fact, I'm slightly disappointed by Cherry MX Blues. Not springy enough.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I'm that guy with the MX Blues at the office. Everyone gave me poo poo right away but I haven't heard any complaints since day one (it's week two at the moment). I'm sure they're still whining in their brains about it, but I'm sure they'll get used to it :c00l:

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
you guys are the worst.

HolySwissCheese
Mar 26, 2005
Update: I realized the other night that mechanicalkeyboards.com has the Matias Laptop Pro in stock. I ordered one, and Matias said in an email that I could cancel my pre-order. It will take a lot of getting used to, since I'm really used to the split layout of my Kinesis Freestyle2.

Now that I have my Laptop Pro, I can say its super, duper awesome. The keys feel great and aren't loud at all. The ten keyless and wireless form factor is too awesome. It's a little taller and bulkier than I expected, but overall this keyboard is awesome.

I wonder if they'll ever make a tenkeyless bluetooth version of the un-dampened loud clicky ALPS.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

scuz posted:

I'm that guy with the MX Blues at the office. Everyone gave me poo poo right away but I haven't heard any complaints since day one (it's week two at the moment). I'm sure they're still whining in their brains about it, but I'm sure they'll get used to it :c00l:

Yea MX Blues in the office buddy.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Topre Realforce 104U at home, 103U at the office. Behold the superior switches, variable actuation force, and most importantly, unixbeard color scheme, Cherry MX scrubs :colbert:

Deus Rex fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 4, 2013

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Deus Rex posted:

Topre Realforce 104U at home, 103U at the office. Behold the superior switches, variable actuation force, and most importantly, unixbeard color scheme, Cherry MX scrubs :colbert:

I sorta wish I got a all-55g RealForce instead of the variable; the amount of force to activate the "A' key is so god drat light I'll sometimes just rest my fingers on the keys and then I end up writing out "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" without even noticing.

But yeah, Topre switches are so amazing.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Deus Rex posted:

Topre Realforce 104U at home, 103U at the office.
This is a great way to indirectly post "Suck it, poors! :hehe:"

I'd love to try a topre sometime just because everyone always says how nice they feel and that descriptions don't do them justice, but OTOH I'm unlikely to spend $250 on a keyboard no matter how good it feels.
Also bi-colored meta keys / direction blocks are ugly, get out of the 90s granddad.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Does anyone know of a good source for OEM / multi-packs of keyboards and/or mice? Google is failing me...

Logitech used to sell 10 packs of their basic, black, USB/PS2 keyboards and mice. My organization goes through a lot of keyboards and mice, so this worked out perfectly. Price worked out to only be a few $ per keyboard/mouse. However the only 10 packs they sell now have all the extra multimedia keys.

I need plain, USB/PS2 keyboards WITHOUT the extra multimedia and power keys. (preferably black!)

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Klyith posted:

This is a great way to indirectly post "Suck it, poors! :hehe:"

I'd love to try a topre sometime just because everyone always says how nice they feel and that descriptions don't do them justice, but OTOH I'm unlikely to spend $250 on a keyboard no matter how good it feels.
Also bi-colored meta keys / direction blocks are ugly, get out of the 90s granddad.

Good. Don't spend that amount of money on a keyboard unless it has medical purpose. I bought an 87U, and while it's nice to type on, it isn't worth $250. The most anyone ought to spend on something like that is $150 with shipping and taxes. Topre keyboards are the $500 Army hammer of the computer world.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

krooj posted:

Good. Don't spend that amount of money on a keyboard unless it has medical purpose. I bought an 87U, and while it's nice to type on, it isn't worth $250. The most anyone ought to spend on something like that is $150 with shipping and taxes. Topre keyboards are the $500 Army hammer of the computer world.

Speak for yourself; my RealForce is worth every yen I paid for it :colbert:

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Mr. Fix It posted:

Speak for yourself; my RealForce is worth every yen I paid for it :colbert:

Agreed; even my Matias Quiet Pro doesn't come close in terms of feeling and quietness.

DrCuntmuffins
Nov 10, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I feel like my realforce is a cool office board, but I really can't find anything I like better than blues for the "not give a gently caress at home" keyboard. I dont have to worry about noise and they are the best feeling keys I've found. (that includes buckling spring and linear boards)

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I need a new keyboard.

I don't really care about clickity clack cherrys or whatever, I am just looking for an online retailer that will sell Swedish/Finnish keyboards in the USA. I am having a really hard time finding one.

I rather not buy stickers again.

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
I'm pretty sure some retailers on amazon.co.uk ship to the US and have swedish/finnish keyboards. The delivery rates might hurt though.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The Logitech G710 Keyboard would probably be a better choice.

hotsauce posted:

In my experience, Amazon will say "ships in 2-4 weeks" then bam, days later it ships. If you are looking to get it for $99, and are not in a hurry, I'd just order from them. I'd be shocked if you don't get it in a week or so.

Thank you so much for alerting me to this keyboard. Just arrived yesterday from Amazon and I love it already.

sports
Sep 1, 2012

Dead Man Posting posted:

I need a new keyboard.

I don't really care about clickity clack cherrys or whatever, I am just looking for an online retailer that will sell Swedish/Finnish keyboards in the USA. I am having a really hard time finding one.

I rather not buy stickers again.

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-custom-keyboard.html?kt=2&k=1&s=df5dc3b37c85f44ca47bc48aef476224

While this is clacky, they allow you to customize what goes on the keys. I did a few for you already!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

sports posted:

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/wasd-v1-custom-keyboard.html?kt=2&k=1&s=df5dc3b37c85f44ca47bc48aef476224

While this is clacky, they allow you to customize what goes on the keys. I did a few for you already!

My keyboom is THE BOMB :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Buff Skeleton posted:

My keyboom is THE BOMB :byodood:

Pretty sure that keyboard would get you placed on a watchlist.

• Locked thread