Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
You guys have tons of good ideas for how to embrace digital stuff and current culture and whatnot... that WotC apparently will never do. I need to think more about what I'm doing with my own projects, and see what I can talk my programmer friends into collaborating on. Although I'm still kind of on the cusp of doing actual commercial stuff, a couple of times now I've stumbled on subject matter that taps into something people want in an RPG (fighting games and more recently Madoka Magica), and the response was kind of incredible. I can't even imagine what the game that properly taps into Game of Thrones or Hunger Games could do, but D&D has been about D&D for a couple decades now. It's at a point where Drizzt is at least as important a model for the ranger class as Aragorn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

palecur posted:

Did you ever make a good hamburger? Ok, do that, but in a loaf pan. BOOM DONE.

This is wrong on many levels. First off, I don't think there is a good meatloaf. Second off, if you are putting Pablo breadcrumbs, and egg into a hamburger, you don't know how to make a good hamburger.

My tip is to use a mixture of ground sirloin and ground chuck. The sirloin will taste good, but the fat in the chuck will keep it from drying out.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

Ulta posted:

if you are putting Pablo breadcrumbs, and egg into a hamburger, you don't know how to make a good hamburger.

Why would you put breadcrumbs and egg into a meatloaf

Who would do that

edit: Given that most meatloaf recipes insist on breadcrumbs (gross) and also baste it with ketchup (double gross), it's no real wonder so many people hate meat loaf. It's really not that hard -- it's just a large, oblong burger that you slice.

palecur fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 6, 2013

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Dungeon world got character generation in a class based system down to an art: give players all the options, 90% of the rules, and future planning in one single playbook from the very beginning. Pick archetype, pick starting moves, bam ready to play in 5 to 10 minutes.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

AlphaDog posted:

4) You know how a lot of people in the USA talk about "good meatloaf"? I've never had a good meatloaf, and I'm not sure such a thing exists in Australia. Can someone point me at a recipe that produces meatloaf that isn't bland, dry, grey, awfulness?

I throw in a can of hot Ro-Tel and cook mine in one of those specialized meatloaf pans that lets the fat drain out. The trick is to get it crispy on the outside but tender like a good burger on the inside. And I totally baste that poo poo in catsup because catsup is delicious. :colbert:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
I've always been of the feeling that a good meatloaf should have some pork in it, personally.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

There is always a better use for meat than meatloaf. Yes, meatloaf may be acceptable, but there's a high opportunity cost: that meat is not being used for a better dish. Such as anything.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

palecur posted:

Why would you put breadcrumbs and egg into a meatloaf

Who would do that

edit: Given that most meatloaf recipes insist on breadcrumbs (gross) and also baste it with ketchup (double gross), it's no real wonder so many people hate meat loaf. It's really not that hard -- it's just a large, oblong burger that you slice.

Breadcrumbs are good for balance, and filler. Meatloaf that doesn't have breadcrumbs is way, way too beefy. Meatloaf is also poverty food, and breadcrumbs stretch a budget.

Egg is a binder, and helps things stick together. I tend to make it without egg, since meatloaf is pretty high protein anyway.

pre:
1 onion, chopped fine
3 cloves garlic, pressed
10 long dashes Tabasco
1 finely crumbled bay leaf
1-1/2 generous tbsp each salt & black pepper
5 strips very crisp bacon, crumbled
2 cups beef or veal broth
2 cups milk
2-1/2 cups bread crumbs
3-1/2 pounds ground meat
I stole this from S. John Ross, game designer. I rec for the meat 2.5 lbs hamburger and a pound of Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage. It does not dissapoint.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

Meatloaf that doesn't have breadcrumbs is way, way too beefy.

I'm prepared to believe this assertion, but I'm going to need some kind of explanation about how a six-ounce slice of no-breadcrumb meatloaf is too beefy, but a six-ounce no-breadcrumb piece of steak is not too beefy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

palecur posted:

I'm prepared to believe this assertion, but I'm going to need some kind of explanation about how a six-ounce slice of no-breadcrumb meatloaf is too beefy, but a six-ounce no-breadcrumb piece of steak is not too beefy.
You're baking it, not grilling it.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

FactsAreUseless posted:

There is always a better use for meat than meatloaf. Yes, meatloaf may be acceptable, but there's a high opportunity cost: that meat is not being used for a better dish. Such as anything.
It's just ground beef.

palecur posted:

Depending on how it's cooked, ground beef may need a moist "glue" to hold it together, otherwise it gets crumbly. I like ketchup, and a little bit of cheese.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Mar 6, 2013

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

I rec for the meat 2.5 lbs hamburger and a pound of Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage. It does not dissapoint.

This is true wisdom. If you're making your meatloaf with 100% hamburger, you're doing it wrong. I much prefer an Italian sausage to a Jimmy Dean, which always tastes a little sweet to me.

Also, if you're basting your meatloaf with ketchup that means you're not serving it with white pepper gravy and are, once again, doing it wrong.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

palecur posted:

Hamburger gets dry as gently caress, especially when baked.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

It's just ground beef.
Exactly. Hamburgers, tacos, burritos, chili, spaghetti, meatball sandwiches, sloppy joes. There are so many better things to do with ground beef.

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

Fallen Rib

Winson_Paine posted:

Hamburger gets dry as gently caress, especially when baked.

That makes a lot more sense to me than 'too beefy', yeah. Mixing with sausage and adding a bit of egg as a binder seems reasonable too, but I am still having trouble seeing breadcrumbs as structurally necessary.

Data point: I never use or eat bread-based stuffing for turkeys. I love bread, but not generally as an ingredient in meat dishes.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

palecur posted:

That makes a lot more sense to me than 'too beefy', yeah. Mixing with sausage and adding a bit of egg as a binder seems reasonable too, but I am still having trouble seeing breadcrumbs as structurally necessary.

Data point: I never use or eat bread-based stuffing for turkeys. I love bread, but not generally as an ingredient in meat dishes.

I dunno man, I guess I can say that I have never had a PURE MEAT MEATLOAF so I have no basis for comparison but honestly a big baked hamburger seems gross to me. Also breadcrumbs streeeeeetch that dollar.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

FactsAreUseless posted:

Exactly. Hamburgers, tacos, burritos, chili, spaghetti, meatball sandwiches, sloppy joes. There are so many better things to do with ground beef.

A meatball is basically a round little meatloaf, broseph.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
As one of 'the poors' I had a lot of meatloaf while growing up. It's pretty good.

I liked putting ketchup on it, but I'm with the folks who think a ketchup 'glaze' is gross. My mom used strips of bacon, or mashed/sliced potato on top instead.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Humble suggestion: Heinz chili sauce instead of ketchup, either as a condiment or as a "glaze." Works pretty well. You might use Huy Fong chili garlic sauce, don't know how well that would work.

I think the extensive playtesting may have backfired for me. I was pretty jazzed up for the first few rounda dn then fatigue set in. I don't even know what the current playtest packet looks like any more.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Error 404 posted:

As one of 'the poors' I had a lot of meatloaf while growing up. It's pretty good.

I liked putting ketchup on it, but I'm with the folks who think a ketchup 'glaze' is gross. My mom used strips of bacon, or mashed/sliced potato on top instead.

Giving it a crust of more breadcrumbs also is a good choice - glazes on meatloaf are weird.

The best meatloaf recipe I ever found was in an ancient cookbook I found in Ely, MN - I want to say it was "How to Cook Anything" but the people I worked for there still have it. It was a thick, white book - bigger than Joy, and with smaller type and fewer illustrations.

A memorable part was the finely-processed carrots, and you have to soak the breadcrumbs (we made our own from the bread we had baked the week prior) in milk before adding the meat, spices, & veggies to the mix. We would also make them gluten-free by throwing tortilla into the processor for a long time.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Error 404 posted:

I usually glaze with a mix of ketchup or bbq sauce, horseradish, mustard, and/or honey in some combo. Basically getting some sugar and some spice on top.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Oh god what did I do?

I jsut wanted to eenjoy a meatloaf.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Is the "NO BINDER IN BURGERS" argument like the "IF IT HAS BEANS IT'S NOT CHILI" argument because seriously there's nothing wrong with a burger that's got some binder in it, nor is there anything wrong with a burger that doesn't. Personally I don't usually find the need for anything past salt/pepper/garlic/chopped onion but if you like some burgers that really stick together go ahead and toss an egg in there.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Darwinism posted:

Is the "NO BINDER IN BURGERS" argument like the "IF IT HAS BEANS IT'S NOT CHILI" argument

You should ask Red_Mage about that second one, apparently he has some opinions on the matter.

Asphyxious
Jun 25, 2012

I'm trying to explain that I'm a person who wishes to live a very quiet life.

Darwinism posted:

"IF IT HAS BEANS IT'S NOT CHILI"

Whoa, what? As a maker of many chilis, all of which have kidney beans in them, this offends me greatly.

Also people playing Next, how'd the barbarian class turn out? Never got to see it.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
It looks interesting. I would like to try it out, but the Insert Coin game right now is the only Next game I am in right now.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Any of you guys know how to make Vegetable Fries? I had some at Smashburger and they looked easy enough to make and I found a recipe online, but I tried them to make them the other night and the most of them burned. The instructions said 400 degrees for 30 minutes but they turned out horrible.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Young Freud posted:

Any of you guys know how to make Vegetable Fries? I had some at Smashburger and they looked easy enough to make and I found a recipe online, but I tried them to make them the other night and the most of them burned. The instructions said 400 degrees for 30 minutes but they turned out horrible.

My general rule for this sort of thing is to check at 20 minutes. 30 seems excessive.

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Darwinism posted:

Is the "NO BINDER IN BURGERS" argument like the "IF IT HAS BEANS IT'S NOT CHILI" argument because seriously there's nothing wrong with a burger that's got some binder in it, nor is there anything wrong with a burger that doesn't. Personally I don't usually find the need for anything past salt/pepper/garlic/chopped onion but if you like some burgers that really stick together go ahead and toss an egg in there.

Well, a hamburger should not need binder. Binders make things stick together, and meat sticks to itself just fine. So if it is just a burger, even one with stuff in it, if you have enough stuff to need egg or something to act as a bonding agent it is probably no longer a burger and has become some other form of patty? I dunno if including an egg would do anything for the flavor, I guess.

Asphyxious posted:

Whoa, what? As a maker of many chilis, all of which have kidney beans in them, this offends me greatly.

Yeah people get het up about beans, although it is mostly a Texas thing. I like beans too, again mostly because I am broke a lot and stretchin' that meat dollah is a bonus.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Winson_Paine posted:

Yeah people get het up about beans, although it is mostly a Texas thing. I like beans too, again mostly because I am broke a lot and stretchin' that meat dollah is a bonus.

If it doesn't have a dash of cinnamon, chocolate, allspice, and cloves with a recipe originally invented next to a strip club its not real* chili.

*eat it texas

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Asphyxious posted:

Yeah, apparently chili without beans is a sissy chili. I would never make a chili without beans. I like my chili to be able to be served by itself.

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Also, if you're basting your meatloaf with ketchup that means you're not serving it with white pepper gravy and are, once again, doing it wrong.

There are a lot of things you can put white gravy on. A meatloaf is not one of those things.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

PeterWeller posted:

There are a lot of things you can put white gravy on. A meatloaf is not one of those things.
I come from the land that makes chocolate gravy, and even I agree with this.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Winson_Paine posted:

Well, a hamburger should not need binder. Binders make things stick together, and meat sticks to itself just fine. So if it is just a burger, even one with stuff in it, if you have enough stuff to need egg or something to act as a bonding agent it is probably no longer a burger and has become some other form of patty? I dunno if including an egg would do anything for the flavor, I guess.

I dunno, I've made some burgers that just fall apart partway through cooking them, so I can see the appeal of having a little bit of binder in there. Plus I'd imagine it would help if you wanna get all fancy and add a chunk of gorgonzola or something in the middle.

Also bean-less chili is bad chili in my book, too, because I am both cheap and like varied texture/flavor.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I like to put a lot of spices and things into my hamburgers so if I don't put something in to hold them together they tend to turn into a lot of little hamburgers.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Ulta posted:

My general rule for this sort of thing is to check at 20 minutes. 30 seems excessive.

I may try again at 20 minutes. I remember checking periodically and at 20 minutes they looked pretty finished then.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Mearls and Thompson did a podcast and it's pretty clear -- as if it wasn't already -- that the 4E warlord is dead and buried. Among other things, they reemphasized that "warlord" will be a fighter build and also added that "inspiration" and tactics should be the bard's thing, not the warlord's.

Mearls to warlord: drop dead.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Selachian posted:

Mearls and Thompson did a podcast and it's pretty clear -- as if it wasn't already -- that the 4E warlord is dead and buried. Among other things, they reemphasized that "warlord" will be a fighter build and also added that "inspiration" and tactics should be the bard's thing, not the warlord's.

Nothing quite like burying one of the most beloved innovations of 4e to bring your fans back to the table.

Edit: I think this is pretty much the worst news I've heard so far, particularly since 'non-magical' healing is out. I can't imagine describing the temp-hp granting stuff as anything other than 'inspiration', so I can't even imagine what the Warlord theme would do at this point.

-surges? Check.
-Warlord and non-magical healing? Check.
+Vancian magic? Check.
-Fightguy doing non-Fightguy stuff? Check.

I eagerly await the announcement that casters are losing at-will powers, since that's pretty much all we have left.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 6, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

Mendrian posted:

I eagerly await the announcement that casters are losing at-will powers, since that's pretty much all we have left.

What, and reduce caster capability? Never!

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Winson_Paine posted:

It is a niche market for a lot of reasons most of which are related to the level of time commitment you need for the thing.
I know it came off as me being annoyed but it really was me completely baffled because I agree with you but apparently if someone actually put in some effort it does actually enact some rather drastic changes despite any problems inherent to the hobby. Compared to niche hobbies that are gaining popularity if not currently more popular than RPGs like the DIY electronics market time commitment minuscule if not insignificant at best. At worst its extremely hard to gather a group of people but with the internet it really does blunt it a bit.

ProfessorCirno posted:

It bewilders me that people can take Gygax, a dude who said "I hope they remember me as a guy who liked games," and try to deify him.
Grognardism and weird deification of people are both common phenomenon in a lot of hobbies.

Selachian posted:

That is rather irritating given that the Warlord is probably the strongest archetype to ever come out of D&D. It probably was a fluke given that the best example of the iconic warlord comes from Shakespeare's plays but still that its a strong archetype.

MadScientistWorking fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don't inherently mind the fighter killing the warlord and taking its stuff because "guy who hits stuff" is a comparatively boring and narrow role. What is an issue for me is that they're doing that while still leaving other legacy alt-fighters with their own specific niches and still allowing wizards to have mastery over all types of magic.

Narrow and broad classes can both work if you stick to one type or the other, depending on what you're trying to do, but mixing both in the same game is a recipe for trouble.

• Locked thread