Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

almightyerin posted:

OP why you so litigious anyway?

He doesn't act like an adult so his parents don't treat him like one and he tries to get around that (other than growing up, never that) by making contracts and other stupid poo poo over comic books. Remember when you were 16 or so and always tried to rules lawyer your way around things? Its that.

ClemenSalad fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Mar 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atom
Apr 6, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

almightyerin posted:

OP why you so litigious anyway?

When I was his age suing my parents would have got me disinherited.

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
My parents aren't lawyers but they both worked in a courtroom and their response would have been to laugh and say "sure hon, you go right ahead". It would never had occurred to me to threaten them with the law or taking them to court over dumb stuff. Now had they been asshats who stole my trust fund or something thats a little different. Their view on things was to not involve the cops unless it was a dire cop-warrenting bad situation and you certainly don't take someone to court over piddley stuff.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Atom posted:

When I was his age suing my parents would have got me disinherited.

In his case, being disinherited would actually do him some good.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

almightyerin posted:

My parents aren't lawyers but they both worked in a courtroom and their response would have been to laugh and say "sure hon, you go right ahead". It would never had occurred to me to threaten them with the law or taking them to court over dumb stuff. Now had they been asshats who stole my trust fund or something thats a little different. Their view on things was to not involve the cops unless it was a dire cop-warrenting bad situation and you certainly don't take someone to court over piddley stuff.

It's not so much a literal situation of calling the cops/taking your parents to court. It's more like your parents coming home early to a bathroom, which reeks of Marijuana. Your eyes are red, you look high, they consider you high, etc. so you yell "Go ahead, search my room!" in defense. They search your room and find nothing, yet ground you anyway. UGHHH! That's such bullshit! You don't have any weed in your posession, your eyes are red, because you're tired and you only seem high, because you didn't get much sleep, last night! No, mom! A drug test isn't fair, because all that would prove is that I smoked weed within the last 30 days. So unfair! They have no right to ground you, without proof which would hold up in court!

(But you totally did smoke a bowl in the bathroom)

In the OPs case, it was drafting up a stupid contract as opposed to just "Here's $50. I'm gonna give you $50 a month, because while I don't have much, I at least want to feel as though I'm contributing something."

cname fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 4, 2013

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Just say no, dummy. "I took a look at my finances and I don't have 300 to lend. Sorry."

Then take that 300 and put it towards your deposit on a room somewhere else. Anywhere else.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
gently caress. I just had the interview. Tiny company-operated out of a house and garage. I did a really good job answering questions. Maybe I hosed up somewhere. But I was turned down. The walls were closing in on me, and now they're closing in faster.

The whole contract thing was a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that I was cleaing up a mess that Danny made. I don't trust him. At all. The fucker almost broke my nose. He actually said "What do you want me to do? Sell my soul?" in front of us. But right now I'm throwing out the contract. Either I'm going to loan them the $300 and never get it back or I'll refuse and see other things like groceries get cut instead. I'm in a bad situation and I don't know how the gently caress I'm going to get out.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Benny the Snake posted:

gently caress. I just had the interview. Tiny company-operated out of a house and garage. I did a really good job answering questions. Maybe I hosed up somewhere. But I was turned down. The walls were closing in on me, and now they're closing in faster.

The whole contract thing was a knee-jerk reaction to the fact that I was cleaing up a mess that Danny made. I don't trust him. At all. The fucker almost broke my nose. He actually said "What do you want me to do? Sell my soul?" in front of us. But right now I'm throwing out the contract. Either I'm going to loan them the $300 and never get it back or I'll refuse and see other things like groceries get cut instead. I'm in a bad situation and I don't know how the gently caress I'm going to get out.

What did they say when they rejected you right away for a menial job?

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Yeah, did they say anything? I bet they that had a bunch of applicants for the job, and someone did a bit better on something. Sorry, bro, get back out there.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Uncle Salty posted:

Yeah, did they say anything? I bet they that had a bunch of applicants for the job, and someone did a bit better on something. Sorry, bro, get back out there.
"I would like to thank you very much for your time this morning! It was a pleasure to meet you. Unfortunately we went with another applicant who's career path is more in line with our future goals as a company.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Thanks again."

I want to do one of two things: crawl into a ball and cry, or loving hurt Danny. I am livid, livid at him. I have never hated him more intesnly than I have ever before. And that hate scares me :cripes:

Atom
Apr 6, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Uncle Salty posted:

Sorry, bro, get back out there.

Yeah, just because you get an interview does not mean you ought to stop soliciting other interviews, or when that interview fails to materialize to view it as a serious setback.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Benny the Snake posted:

"I would like to thank you very much for your time this morning! It was a pleasure to meet you. Unfortunately we went with another applicant who's career path is more in line with our future goals as a company.

I wish you all the best in your future endeavors. Thanks again."

I want to do one of two things: crawl into a ball and cry, or loving hurt Danny. I am livid, livid at him. I have never hated him more intesnly than I have ever before. And that hate scares me :cripes:

So that is a pretty standard, we found someone else we like/is better qualified/has past experience in this response. You lost me on what Danny has to do with this interview.

Go apply at Applebee's now, your trying which is half the fight. Most don't get off the couch while yelling Momm my doritos... You'll be fine, keep going OP.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
Leave Danny out of this. Worry about yourself and let your parents deal with his poo poo. Remove yourself from every situation concerning him.

gently caress that job. They work out of a garage. poo poo sounds wicked shady.

Just learn to tailor your resume/answers/cover letter/interviews so it'll seem like you wanna do whatever they offer, for the foreseeable future.

What was the job title, if you don't
Mind asking? What did they do/expect you to do?

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

Couldn't you just flat out tell Danny (not your mum) "I'm not lending anyone money to help you out, because I'm totally ashamed of what a selfish idiot you are", and then help your mum out with groceries when it comes to that?

It sounds like your annoyance here is that you're being put in a position to support Danny, which you (rightfully) think is bullshit. So say no, let your mum support him (because she's a parent, and actually in the position to choose between supporting him or kicking him out), and support your mum (because you don't want to see her suffer just because Danny is a selfish idiot).

Pragmatically, it doesn't change much, but it gives you the ability to put the blame where the blame belongs without further damaging your relationship with your mum.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

OP google parental/sibling enmeshment.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Well this was a sudden change of events. I was so angry at Danny for being the one who instigated the whole drat thing that I completely ignored one single fact: Mom had posted the payment already.

See, Danny made purchases of $300 on tuition and textbooks at the beginning of the winter semester. The payment on the card was due a couple of days ago. Mom had told Danny three weeks ago to lend the money from me to pay her. He never did. So now I'm giving my mom $300. For the money that should have been used for groceries and rent that's been used to bail out my self-entitled failure that my brother is. I don't expect to get it back. I'm doing this above all else to keep peace. The money's a dead investment. And make a greater effort to find a job and move the gently caress out. Now I'm expected to bail him out because really at this point I don't care. Right now I'm tired of it all. I'm doing this to keep this shitstorm from flaring up. I'm patching up a derelict ship until I can hop onto another one. I'm not happy about this one bit. But I'm in no position to deny me or my family what could be used for groceries right now.

And I'll never forgive Danny for how much of an rear end in a top hat he is. The moment I move out of here is the moment my brother will be dead to me.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 5, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It's not Danny's fault you gave your mom money. You have a choice. Where was your brother even going to get the money in the first place?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Jeffrey posted:

It's not Danny's fault you gave your mom money. You have a choice. Where was your brother even going to get the money in the first place?
gently caress if I know. I've been making an active effort to find a drat job and to be fair, he has to. I've seen him going around, filling out applications, passing them around, etc. But where I'm making the extra effort by going to a job agency, using my school's career center resources, and using sites like Craigslist and Indeed, I'm pretty sure Danny isn't. Heck, I told him to use all that. I haven't seen him do any of that and as far as I'm concerned he's not.

I just wish he'd loving pay it forward. The $1000 debt he accrued on Mom's account on frivolous poo poo like clothes and a brand new Ipod. The hundreds our parents sunk into putting him in high school band while he treated us like poo poo. And now the $300 for school and textbooks. I'm bailing out my family because of him. And that's what incenses me. I've loaned money to Mom and my little sister because I trust them. If Mom came to me and said "I need $300", I'd be fine. I trust her. But because I know I'm doing it for him is what set me off.

Why am I doing it? To put out the fire he started before the house collapses on top of us and kills us all.

And now I'm ranting. I'm going to bed and sleeping this off before I make myself into a bigger dick.

Carlos Spicywiener
Sep 8, 2011

Moustache fart.
Have you put applications in at McDonalds and other jobs of a similar nature yet?

Lowly
Aug 13, 2009

Your parents are very religious so they must be members of a church, right? Have you thought about asking around or having your dad ask around within the congregation if anyone needs any extra help or knows of anything that you would be qualified for? When I've been desperate for money and unable to work full time, I've always been able to scrape something up by literally asking everyone I know and everyone my parents know and eventually someone will have something. A church is a great place to do that because they are usually geared for helping out other members of the church. It's part of why churches are so successful! You are much more likely to actually get hired that way than if you are a random guy on a pile of applications.

EDIT: Temp agencies - NVM, I missed like a whole page of posts that already said all this.

Lowly fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Mar 5, 2013

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

All i hear is that you had 1 interview and then a ton of other meaningless crap that doesn't have to do with work.

Go get a job.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Danny sounds like a real piece of work but he's not actively preventing you from finding a job. You have to got to stop making him your... locus of control? There's a phrase for this; I can't remember what it is.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Sadboy Obsession.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Carlos Spicywiener posted:

Have you put applications in at McDonalds and other jobs of a similar nature yet?
Yep. Even called the hiring manager-nothing. I'm going to call the temp agency I signed up for and see if they have anything.

Lowly posted:

Your parents are very religious so they must be members of a church, right? Have you thought about asking around or having your dad ask around within the congregation if anyone needs any extra help or knows of anything that you would be qualified for? When I've been desperate for money and unable to work full time, I've always been able to scrape something up by literally asking everyone I know and everyone my parents know and eventually someone will have something. A church is a great place to do that because they are usually geared for helping out other members of the church. It's part of why churches are so successful! You are much more likely to actually get hired that way than if you are a random guy on a pile of applications.
I've stopped going to our church. Me and them have some disagreements and I'd much rather find a job elsewhere. I haven't exhausted my other reasources yet anyway.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
OP, have you thought about why you were rejected from the interview you recently went on?

cname posted:

What was the job title, if you don't
Mind asking? What did they do/expect you to do?

Let's figure out how we can make you better at bullshitting/embellishing/tailoring responses during interviews. Your family issues are complete nonsense and have little impact on your life, right now. You're not an E/N case who needs to address family issues, immediately. That stuff can wait for when you have your life together. Nobody is being abused, nobody is addicted to harmful substances, etc. It's just routine squabbling, which is insanely common for families. Get your priorities straight.

cname fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Mar 5, 2013

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

cname posted:

OP, have you thought about why you were rejected from the interview you recently went on?

Let's figure out how we can make you better at bullshitting/embellishing/tailoring responses during interviews. Your family issues are complete nonsense and have little impact on your life, right now. You're not an E/N case who needs to address family issues, immediately. That stuff can wait for when you have your life together. Nobody is being abused, nobody is addicted to harmful substances, etc. It's just routine squabbling, which is insanely common for families. Get your priorities straight.
Well, there's two ideas of why I didn't get the job. First, somebody had a business degree while I had an English degree. Christine was my interviewer and co-owner of the shipping business. Which was so tiny that her and her husband operated it out of their own house. She told me that neither of them went to college or had formal business training and that out of the 93 aplicants, half like me had a degree. So I want to think that somebody else had that experience that they needed in order to grow their business.

The second idea is how I hosed up. Christine asked me what's my biggest flaw. If I didn't say anything, I'd look like a dick. So I said the first thing that was on my mind: "I get flustered. You know, family issues."

And that's probably the bigger reason why I didn't get the job :bang:

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Mar 5, 2013

toby
Dec 4, 2002

"I'm a pretty bad cook"

"I'm not very good at giving presentations to large groups"

"I have to be sure to stay on top of organization, so I make lists"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Benny the Snake posted:

I'm going to call the temp agency I signed up for and see if they have anything.

Do this regularly, like once or twice a week.

Otherwise, hang in there, and try not to get too discouraged. Unfortunately, interviews not panning out for no good reason (or no good reason that you never hear), deafening silences after you apply for a job, potential employers not so much as acknowledging your existence, etc., is the nature of the beast. It sucks, but it is not a reflection on you as a candidate so much as it is a reflection of the lovely lovely system.

You're pretty much doing everything you can at this point, so keep doing that. Eventually something will work out.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

The second idea is how I hosed up. Christine asked me what's my biggest flaw. If I didn't say anything, I'd look like a dick. So I said the first thing that was on my mind: "I get flustered. You know, family issues."

And that's probably the bigger reason why I didn't get the job :bang:

There we go! Progress! Never get personal.

You should have said, "My lack of ability to successfully answer loaded questions." :haw:

Seriously though...

-"I need to have everything organized, in order to successfully operate. I don't operate well under disorganized chaos."
-"I don't like having to remember things off the top of my head, so I need to take frequent notes, in order to be organized/successful."
-"I require a steady method of communication. My last group of co-workers were terrible at communicating with one another and it effected my performance in a negative fashion."

I'm still curious as to what type of skills were required/encouraged for the position you applied to.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Benny the Snake posted:

Which was so tiny her and her husband operated it out of their own house.

expirence

Maybe your problem isn't that you have an English degree, but that you refuse to apply anything that degree probably taught you.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

reflex posted:

Maybe your problem isn't that you have an English degree, but that you refuse to apply anything that degree probably taught you.

I have no idea what you get out of an English degree, but you can bet your rear end I'd be telling an interviewer the following.

-Specific types of language tailored to specific clients. IE: A tech-savvy client vs non-tech savvy client. I'm able to deduct said client's level of knowledge and tailor my choice of language, accordingly.

-The use of special character types, to identify important information. An instance being the fact that a client's eyes will be more likely to quickly scan bolded words, before reading the actual body text.

-Best practices for conveying directions.

OP, can you list some of your own? Bullshit if you have to.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

cname posted:

There we go! Progress! Never get personal.

Repeated for emphasis. Home life stays at home. Business stays at the job. Never mix the two and you'll be much Much happier for it.

Besides, look at how cname and toby answered that question. Open-ended questions can easily be answered with open-ended answers. They're not looking for any answer in particular, but if you offer up bad information they'll be sure to latch onto it.

All in all this is a learning experience and you should feel wiser for it.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001
If a candidate told me he gets flustered easily, I would definitely read into that and assume he's:

A) A poor performer under tight deadlines.
B) A poor performer under stress.
C) Unable to quickly adapt to unexpected situations.

So, yeah, I wouldn't hire you either.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
^^^Whoa you saw my computer screen didn't you :v:

Telling the interviewer you have family issues during a job interview immediately tells them

A. I will be distracted
B. I will be emotional
C. I can't separate my home and work (haha) life because I brought it up in an interview.

For those types of questions, the previous examples others put forth are great answers. If none of those really fit you, use this model:

I (mild issue), but I am working on or have resolved that by (common solution).

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Well at least I've learned my lesson. Never get too personal during job interviews. In the meanwhile, I've called the job agency and my friend Sandy told me that she'd call me soon if she found anything. She's good people. Also I just got an email from a website developer who wants to hire me for content creation. I just have to wait on her to give me a topic so she can gauge my wiring skills. A buck a hundred words. Freelance work, but I can knock a thousand words in my sleep :v:

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

Well at least I've learned my lesson. Never get too personal during job interviews. In the meanwhile, I've called the job agency and my friend Sandy told me that she'd call me soon if she found anything. She's good people. Also I just got an email from a website developer who wants to hire me for content creation. I just have to wait on her to give me a topic so she can gauge my wiring skills. A buck a hundred words. Freelance work, but I can knock a thousand words in my sleep :v:

If you don't mind writing for a penny a word you should check out Textbroker, where you can make around a penny and a half per word.

Underwater Shoe
May 26, 2005

an informative notation for your appreciation

Benny the Snake posted:

Be careful with this, don't expect to be writing reams and reams and be paid for what you produce rather than what's used. Especially for website content where ideally copy should be short, sharp and succinct. I'd be surprised if there were more than 2-400 words of copy per page on most modern websites.

And don't forget the amount of time it takes to get familiar with the subject your writing on, time spent editing - you'll almost always have to over-write and then trim and restructure. Not to mention re-writes and edits that you might have to do when stuff comes back from the client. You likely won't get paid for waffle and flim-flam, if you are you probably won't get work thrown your way again and be sure you'll be paid for edits and redrafting.

If you're into this sort of stuff though it might be worth looking into marketing, communications, PR, PA jobs where writing ability is often a really big skill focus - if you have experience as a freelance content writer all the better. Be sure to spell 'writing' correctly if you do send them any applications though.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Underwater Shoe posted:

don't expect to be writing reams and reams and be paid for what you produce rather than what's used.

So to confirm the double negative. You're saying "Don't expect to be paid for what's used." correct?

OP, you should look into the details of this, ASAP, before you even take the test. Show them that you've got a pair and wanna know what's up before you even bother doing any work for them. Theoretically, even providing them with a writing sample is work. Don't write up a word till you know exactly what the deal is.

Example: Political campaigns pre-write coppywritten material, before said material is even needed. Remember when the supreme court ruled on Obamacare? The writers from each campaign had to come up with fully-written material for each outcome.

-Passes
-Gets Repealed
-Deferred decision

Obviously, only one gets used. I'm sure this situation happens all the time in other fields.

Relate to the partial phrase "Make sure before moving forward" as much as possible. It impresses interviewers/HR people by telling them you like being organized/orderly and making sure all ducks are in a row.

You wanna know what the subjects are like, what the product is (if there's a product involved), etc. I have no idea. You're the one applying. Ask tons of questions and re-assure them that you're asking because you wanna be sure it's what you could latch on to.

When you act as though you're judging them, just as much as they're judging you. It says that you're not just looking for any old job. You wanna find what's right. (Even if you're just looking for any old job.)

cname fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 6, 2013

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

cname posted:

So to confirm the double negative. You're saying "Don't expect to be paid for what's used." correct?

I think he means that you may write a whole lot of words, but the company may only want to use a subset of those words and that's all you will be paid for. You won't get paid to write stuff that they don't use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Who cares. It is a job. He can do it while he looks for other jobs. It can go on a resume. If it is bullshit, he can say "thanks for the opportunity, I've enjoyed working with you, it's time for me to move on."

• Locked thread