Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Devious_05 posted:

I'm rather curious what else you expected him to buy with an Amazon gift card? Someone mentined it earlier, but isn't Amazon just books and dvds etc in the majority of countries? (thats all I know it as in Australia), so the only thing he could buy is "fun stuff"?

On an earlier thread note, Tuyop I'm all for the no soap thing, its bad for your skin anyway, BUT you must bathe frequently and use body spray etc to pull it off in modern society

What actually happened is, I was on the phone with Jesse Mecham, the founder of YNAB himself, and he told me that he was giving Amazon gift cards so that people wouldn't have to worry about budgeting whatever they bought.

I was just following the word of Jesse Mecham hisself. :qq:

Speaking of which, would it be ok if I posted the $6 off referral link that I got when I bought the program?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Devious_05 posted:

I'm rather curious what else you expected him to buy with an Amazon gift card? Someone mentined it earlier, but isn't Amazon just books and dvds etc in the majority of countries? (thats all I know it as in Australia), so the only thing he could buy is "fun stuff"?

Buying the book with a giftcard wasn't the stupid idea. Giving any serious thought to save money by pinching growlers into a bucket of sawdust is the stupid idea.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Some people actually think they can live off of sunlight too. Open your ears to not just one group saying this is a good idea.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

A significant amount of your food is turned into heat and energy. Don't make me weigh my poop with a luggage scale and a bucket for 30 days in order to get an average per day waste weight...

You should consider buying a scale with the appropriate sensitivity to take an accurate measurement.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Baloogan posted:

It is usually treated ... except when it rains in places with a combined sewer. Combined sewers are sewers which also take drainwater and have the ability when overloaded to dump out the wastewater into a nearby body of water.

I'm just trying to internet-shame places where it isn't at ALL treated. Like Victoria BC.

I don't even think they have serious plans to change.

Apparently there was a political debate about this recently, with one of the parties coming down on the side of "let the raw sewage flow", although I don't even recall which one it was. But there was definitely an argument in the newspaper to the effect of "no you see it's like 50m down and there's a grating so it's fine, the nutrients even sustain sea life!"

I know vancouver has a combined system, where's the discharge for it? Because between that and false creek being full of the poo poo of people living on sailboats I'm not overly excited by the prospect of swimming next summer.

EDIT: One of the parties opposing the construction of a treatment plant was the Green Party. Sometimes I don't understand this planet.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/sewage-at-centre-of-victoria-by-election/article5582535/

big shtick energy fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Mar 6, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

DuckConference posted:

I know vancouver has a combined system, where's the discharge for it? Because between that and false creek being full of the poo poo of people living on sailboats I'm not overly excited by the prospect of swimming next summer.

Everywhere.
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/epd/regions/lower_mainland/env_mgt/pdf/Burrard-Point-Source-2010-Report-Final.pdf

edit edit maybe I shouldn't mention that.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Mar 6, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

DuckConference posted:

Apparently there was a political debate about this recently, with one of the parties coming down on the side of "let the raw sewage flow", although I don't even recall which one it was. But there was definitely an argument in the newspaper to the effect of "no you see it's like 50m down and there's a grating so it's fine, the nutrients even sustain sea life!"

EDIT: One of the parties opposing the construction of a treatment plant was the Green Party. Sometimes I don't understand this planet.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/sewage-at-centre-of-victoria-by-election/article5582535/

This is pretty hilarious to me given the lengths cruise companies go to to purify their sewage. You can literally drink the effluent.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Overview of Vancouver:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Red is let the poo poo flow
Purple is let the poo poo flow when raining
Brown is let the poo poo flow when the pumps fail

Victoria is all poo poo, all the time.

Most cities with a combined system are like this; I don't swim anywhere near a city. Don't ever swim in any city rivers either.

I've done work for both metrovan and city of victoria.

Baloogan fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Mar 6, 2013

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Baloogan posted:

Red is let the poo poo flow
Purple is let the poo poo flow when raining
Brown is let the poo poo flow when the pumps fail

Victoria is all poo poo, all the time.

Most cities with a combined system are like this; I don't swim anywhere near a city. Don't ever swim in any city rivers either.

I've done work for both metrovan and city of victoria.

But isn't all of it treated when it's not raining?

I mean "not raining" is a little uncommon in vancouver but it doesn't rain much in the months you'd be swimming appreciating the poo poo-water from a distance.

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration
I like how Tuyop posted a very nice update on his finances where he cut his phone bill and credit card payments way down, and is looking into cheaper auto insurance stuff, and everyone just decided to ignore it and continue with the poopchat.

Hey, I don't have much financial advice for you since I currently make like 15K a year and have more than that in student loan debt, but it's totally okay to fantasize about your hypothetical sustainable future and composting toilet and cool organic garden. I think about that stuff all the time. My fiance and I want to have a little house on some land where we can grow food and be sustainable but we both know that it's going to be AT LEAST 5 years before we can even start thinking about possibly planning and saving up for that. For now he's stuck making $7.50 an hour and I'm slogging through grad school.

Basically what I'm saying is focus on where you're at right now, you're getting your budget under control and that's fantastic. Someday you and your woman will both have decent paying jobs and you'll be able to save up money and have the life you want. Have you ever heard the saying "You can have everything you want in life, you just can't have it all at the same time"? That's kind of where you're at. You want everything and you want it all now but it's not going to happen that way because you are a human living a human life and you're not in the top 1% income bracket. So just chill out man. You're stressing yourself out by focusing on life's little setbacks and all the things you can't or don't have RIGHT THIS SECOND.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
edit: lol I'm way late on the shirt deal. My bad.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

DuckConference posted:

But isn't all of it treated when it's not raining?

I mean "not raining" is a little uncommon in vancouver but it doesn't rain much in the months you'd be swimming appreciating the poo poo-water from a distance.

In short: no. It isn't all treated when it's not raining.

Permitted Effluent should be a curse word. It means discharging untreated sewage along with industrial waste if permitted.

http://www.georgiastrait.org/files/share/PDF/BurrardEffluent031.pdf

The overall number of effluent discharge permits has increased from a single
permit in 1957 to 25 active permits in 2002.
• Currently 769 million cubic meters of wastewater that carry industrial effluents
are permitted to be discharged annually into Burrard Inlet. This is the equivalent of
223,014 Olympic size swimming pools.
• Effluent discharges have increased from 32 million cubic meters permitted for
discharge in 1957, to the current level of 769 million cubic meters in 2002.
• Permitted discharge amounts have never decreased for any year since 1957.
• There are no precise figures currently available from the BC Ministry of Water
Land and Air Protection that conclusively determine the actual amounts of
industrial effluent is being discharged. This make it difficult for monitoring
agencies to determine exactly how much effluent is actually ending up in the Inlet.

Table 6. Substances permitted to enter Burrard Inlet
Ammonia
Phosphate
Phenols
Sulfide
Cyanide
Lead
zinc
Chromium
Copper
Ethylene glycol
Nickel
Nitrate
Residual chlorine
Nitrite
MTBE gas additive

And this is all in Vancouver; as Canadian cities go we are actually not too bad. Victoria BC is the worst I've ever seen at this sort of thing. Victoria might even be the worst city in the first world for discharging untreated effluent. They dump raw everything every day. ~400L per person per day. Its below World Health Organization guidelines for developing countries, and its against Canadian federal law.

I don't understand why its still happening.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

razz posted:

I like how Tuyop posted a very nice update on his finances where he cut his phone bill and credit card payments way down, and is looking into cheaper auto insurance stuff, and everyone just decided to ignore it and continue with the poopchat.

quote:

Anything we buy in March must either:

a) be directly consumable, like gasoline or food, or

b) directly replace something that is sold or donated.

Their financial progress came at the cost of a $0 fun budget. It's unsustainable, just like his mania.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Adar posted:

Their financial progress came at the cost of a $0 fun budget. It's unsustainable, just like his mania.

That's for THIS month. And "consumable" things include entertainment. We went to see a movie and had thai food on the weekend. Both of those things are in the budget for fun money.

A cookbook is not a "consumable" thing, and since we get on fine without one to sell or donate, obviously we won't die if we don't buy one for March.

However, if I wear out my last pair of totally excellent underwear, for instance (my underwears are in top shape, don't worry!), then we can buy another pair of underwear because it will not be a new thing in our lives, and will be replacing something that broke, got sold, or got donated.

Last month we spent nearly $400 on fun things (I'm away from the budget so I'm not sure on the exact numbers). I get $40 for fun stuff, we have a common entertainment budget of $30-50, and toeshoes gets $100 because she didn't make the debt but she's contributing to paying it off because she's awesome.

That fun money is not including other discretionary poo poo that we buy, like potting soil or walmart pizza or meat.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Walmart Pizza is not going to turn into good fertilizer.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

tuyop posted:

That's for THIS month. And "consumable" things include entertainment. We went to see a movie and had thai food on the weekend. Both of those things are in the budget for fun money.

A cookbook is not a "consumable" thing, and since we get on fine without one to sell or donate, obviously we won't die if we don't buy one for March.

However, if I wear out my last pair of totally excellent underwear, for instance (my underwears are in top shape, don't worry!), then we can buy another pair of underwear because it will not be a new thing in our lives, and will be replacing something that broke, got sold, or got donated.

Last month we spent nearly $400 on fun things (I'm away from the budget so I'm not sure on the exact numbers). I get $40 for fun stuff, we have a common entertainment budget of $30-50, and toeshoes gets $100 because she didn't make the debt but she's contributing to paying it off because she's awesome.

That fun money is not including other discretionary poo poo that we buy, like potting soil or walmart pizza or meat.

See, this is a completely reasonable post. Just put, like, a couple of hundred of these together and you'll pay down your mania in no time!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
'No new junk' is actually a pretty good policy to follow if you're paying off debt, as long as you're reasonable about when to decide something is actually necessary.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

Me in Reverse posted:

Walmart Pizza is not going to turn into good fertilizer.

Walmart Pizza has given me some of the nastiest shits I've ever had. I didn't want to be breathing it in for the time it took to fall into the bowl, forget keeping it around for a year.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
I went to a presentation last night which included a section from a guy talking about sustainable sanitation design, setting up on a large scale in Africa. One of their biggest issues is pathogens in faeces, and they've spent the time developing a system for safely converting faeces to fertiliser. That said they will be constantly monitoring pathogen levels and these guys are scientists. These guys are super pro-fertilise your poo poo and they still don't think it is 100% safe to do unsupervised. Urine fertiliser is much easier though.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!

Laser Cow posted:

That said they will be constantly monitoring pathogen levels and these guys are scientists.

So what you're saying is they're the type of people who obsessively monitor everything they touch because that's their job?

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
What I was implying is that hopefully they are competent.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Nippashish posted:

So what you're saying is they're the type of people who obsessively monitor everything they touch because that's their job?

Wow, these guys sound really anal-retentive, eh?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Buy-nothing-new March update!

Of course, this month the following items break:

Can opener

Towel rack/shelf in bathroom

We replaced the shelf with a beach bag that matches our bathroom theme: $3

And the can opener will be shopped for today, but we'll probably get a nice one for around $10.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned
How on earth did you break a can opener?

razz
Dec 26, 2005

Queen of Maceration

bam thwok posted:

How on earth did you break a can opener?

Hey, it can happen. I let a friend stay with me for a month and she broke so much of my stuff. She broke a can opener (just put it back in the drawer and I had to call her out on it later) a hair dryer (which she also didn't fess up to breaking until I asked her) and a floor lamp, which she tried to "sneakily" fix with duct tape. I'm talking about one of those tall floor lamps, she somehow managed to knock the lamp over and break the pole in half and then "fixed" it with duct tape. The lamp was originally wedged in the corner behind the couch so I don't even know. In 4 weeks she broke about $65 worth of my stuff. Stuff that never breaks.

Anyway some people just break a lot of poo poo. Do you break a lot of poo poo, Tuyop? I find that high-strung and anxious people tend to break and replace things a lot more than calm people. Basically because they're always flinging poo poo around and not really watching what they're doing. That can definitely contribute to your budget issues. A $10 can opener may not sound like much but if you're breaking and replacing $10 items regularly, that can add up ya know. Also go to the thrift store and get a can opener for 50 cents, especially if you are one of the aforementioned "breaks a ton of poo poo" type of person.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

razz posted:

Do you break a lot of poo poo, Tuyop?

Mods, please probate for not reading thread.

EDIT: still funny

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Mar 12, 2013

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are we talking one of those electric can openers for incredibly lazy people, that stand on your countertop taking space and are useless in the one instance where you really, really need a can opener (an extended power outage):

Or, a hand-cranked can opener of the type that generally lasts 40 years and can operate perfectly even when coated with a gruesome combination of rust and ancient tomato sauce:

Because you should own one of the latter, rather than the former.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Leperflesh posted:

Are we talking one of those electric can openers for incredibly lazy people, that stand on your countertop taking space and are useless in the one instance where you really, really need a can opener (an extended power outage):

Or, a hand-cranked can opener of the type that generally lasts 40 years and can operate perfectly even when coated with a gruesome combination of rust and ancient tomato sauce:

As a bonus, the latter actually works.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

That one of course, though I could use one of those electric ones to match my catheter and bed pan for maximum convenience. But yeah, it broke. We bought it only about six months ago but I've broken several can openers in my adult life, probably because they were only like a buck each.

So this time we bought a totally supreme can opener for $15. No more broken can openers for me!

By the way, this is also budgeted for under "household supplies" which covers consumables like cleaners and, apparently, replacement can openers. Before anyone bites my head off for "splurging" on a nice can opener.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

A good Swing-a-way can opener costs about ten bucks US so buying a quality tool that should outlast and outperform all your lovely cheap openers is a good value. No one should gripe about that. On the other hand, kitchen gadgets are a black hole where you can easily waste a ton of money. There is a thread over in GWS that's a great place to check before buying bigger ticket items.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

CuddleChunks posted:

A good Swing-a-way can opener costs about ten bucks US so buying a quality tool that should outlast and outperform all your lovely cheap openers is a good value. No one should gripe about that. On the other hand, kitchen gadgets are a black hole where you can easily waste a ton of money. There is a thread over in GWS that's a great place to check before buying bigger ticket items.

Yeah we just did up our registry with all sorts of gucci stuff. It would be pretty sweet to get a vitamix or a ninja food processor, but it would be hard to justify those expenses.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Cr actually ranked the 89 ninja just a slight step under the 400 vitamix, so that at least is a decent comparison.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
edit: haha nm, I forgot about SA search.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427699&pagenumber=32&perpage=40#post404687382

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427699&pagenumber=27&perpage=40#post402298343

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Mar 13, 2013

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427699&userid=103341&perpage=40&pagenumber=7

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Sorry, I couldn't hear your lazy rear end because I was busy opening cans.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kissekatt posted:

Sorry, I couldn't hear your lazy rear end because I was busy opening cans.

Well OK look, I have one of these with me at all times:

But it's nice to have the one with the handle for my wife to use, because she has wrist pain problems.

ToeShoes
Sep 8, 2011

"Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!"

Leperflesh posted:

Well OK look, I have one of these with me at all times:

But it's nice to have the one with the handle for my wife to use, because she has wrist pain problems.

I hope you aren`t serious. Wrist pain problems? So, if she didn`t have wrist pain problems, you would be wasting 5 whole mintues opening a can.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Those things also tend to make a mess out of the can lid; at the same time, they're the only openers I've ever seen in lifeboat survival kits, so that's got to count for something.

This thread has the weirdest derails. Human feces to can openers in what, two pages? What are we going to do without tuyop for a whole week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ToeShoes posted:

I hope you aren`t serious. Wrist pain problems? So, if she didn`t have wrist pain problems, you would be wasting 5 whole mintues opening a can.

The thing Kissekatt posted isn't much better. But I thought we were doing that "I am more manly because my tool is more primitive" thing and wanted to play along.

The next step should have been a photo of an icepick, followed by a photo of a flint chopper, followed by I guess just a plain rock.

• Locked thread