Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ratbert90 posted:

Serious Q time though: Why would I use Perl instead of C/C++? I want to learn it but so far (emphasis on so far) I haven't ran into to much that couldn't be coded almost as easily in C/C++. If there is a huge ultra mega super duper thing that makes Perl better in a certain situation than C I would like to know so I could look forward to something in my studies. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

ratbert90 posted:

Until you start programming for embedded (8k processors 64k ram). Then you don't have to worry about silly poo poo like user interactions :smug: Then my code doesn't have to be very portable or maintainable for the most part (I still try to keep it clean and documented though.) Static memory allocation no mallocs everydayyyyyy.

you are a student, so this misconception is acceptable. i write firmware for a living and you very much need to worry about silly poo poo like user interactions (even in a device like a transducer where a human doesn't normally interact with it, you still need code for configuration and calibration and poo poo). in fact although the code that deals with user interactions is simple and boring I spend most of my time writing it, as marketing people will bikeshed endlessly about how a menu that is used once every thousand hours of device operation should be structured and oh by the way can you make the monochrome lcd turn red when an error condition is encountered?????? shouldnt be hard, it's Just Software(tm)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

you are a student, so this misconception is acceptable. i write firmware for a living and you very much need to worry about silly poo poo like user interactions (even in a device like a transducer where a human doesn't normally interact with it, you still need code for configuration and calibration and poo poo). in fact although the code that deals with user interactions is simple and boring I spend most of my time writing it, as marketing people will bikeshed endlessly about how a menu that is used once every thousand hours of device operation should be structured and oh by the way can you make the monochrome lcd turn red when an error condition is encountered?????? shouldnt be hard, it's Just Software(tm)

I was talking about setting up registers and drivers, of course menus need to have user interaction concessions and checks. I just really like messing with things on the register level.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
oh also gently caress debouncing in software, throw a schmitt trigger on the button you shitheels

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Otto Skorzeny posted:

oh also gently caress debouncing in software, throw a schmitt trigger on the button you shitheels

But that would cost a extra .01 cents! :smith:

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

ratbert90 posted:

Serious Q time though: Why would I use Perl instead of C/C++? I want to learn it but so far (emphasis on so far) I haven't ran into to much that couldn't be coded almost as easily in C/C++. If there is a huge ultra mega super duper thing that makes Perl better in a certain situation than C I would like to know so I could look forward to something in my studies. :smith:
I want to learn this language because I do not know it, and because of this lack of knowledge I feel I can safely say that there isn't anything you can do in perl that isn't easier than in C/C++

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Otto Skorzeny posted:

yeah. like 10% of yosvape.c is loving debounce

PERLCHAT:
right now I am rewriting the installer script for packages for all of our handheld devices.

We have to parse an INI-style config at the store server, and set flags "does this store have alerting turned on? does this store have mobile checkouts? is it a sam's, walmart, mexican bodega, asda?". Then we read the package config which has variable declarations like %imagepath%=/users/blah/blerp/ up top, and then statements like "signsays=sams;tag1" which is a basic if-then. We build up the tags of actions to execute, which are specified in XML. We build up a list of actions, copy the skeleton files for the package over to a sandbox, and then modify our sandbox files. Then they are pushed to the 'files are expected to be here' location on the server, and whenever the handhelds read those 'doot' files, they will know that the packages are updated and will download the new one.

i have 0 idea how to do this in any other language, but a foggy idea of how to do it in perl. poo poo's crazy but imma make it happen

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
perl gets an undeservedly bad rap for large software projects.

the limiting factor is the availability of decent perl programmers and people who are willing to write perl well, not anything to do with perl itself. it's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy when shitheads who dont know gently caress from poo poo start complaining about how you can't write large programs in $LANGUAGE and people start listening to them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

the limiting factor is the availability of decent perl programmers and people who are willing to write perl well, not anything to do with perl itself. it's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy when shitheads who dont know gently caress from poo poo start complaining about how you can't write large programs in $LANGUAGE and people start listening to them.

it's easy to get started programming perl, which means you get a lot of beginners and people who don't know what they shouldn't be doing

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

rotor posted:

whats worse, that, or forcing the language to do terrible things its not designed for like with node

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

polpotpi posted:

whats worse, that, or forcing the language to do terrible things its not designed for like with node

iunno

Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror

rotor posted:

:s/perl/php/g

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
Perl's biggest problem is dumb shits learning via google, which means they learn from Matts Script Archive and their all mighty google page rank

Front page of MSA posted:

FormMail
Downloaded over 2 million times since 1997, this script sends the results of any HTML form via e-mail to the specified users. Works for multiple forms & users.
readme, faq, download, nms, ...
Free - v1.93 - July 14, 2009

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

whats a good book on like idiomatic C or whatever. i feel like when i write C sometimes i just mash keywords in a row and delete poo poo until it compiles

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

uG posted:

Perl's biggest problem is dumb shits learning via google, which means they learn from Matts Script Archive and their all mighty google page rank

oh man i set up so many msa wwwboards back in the 90s

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Carthag posted:

mash keywords in a row and delete poo poo until it compiles

this is a definition of programming

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

not surprising that good perl programmers are in high demand, it is hardly a fashionable language anymore but there is a lot of code out there

there is also a lot to look forward to in 10 years when php properly becomes the cobol of this century

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Carthag posted:

whats a good book on like idiomatic C or whatever. i feel like when i write C sometimes i just mash keywords in a row and delete poo poo until it compiles

C primer Plus

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

not surprising that good perl programmers are in high demand

the last two places i've been have had what amounted to nonreplaceable perl infrastructure and were constantly hunting for senior-level perl people and never found them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

the last two places i've been have had what amounted to nonreplaceable perl infrastructure and were constantly hunting for senior-level perl people and never found them.

give me their names

now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

prefect posted:

give me their names

now

are you a senior level perl person in teh bay area

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rotor posted:

are you a senior level perl person in teh bay area

i need to move to "frisco", dammit :mad:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Carthag posted:

Browse Apache's source code and make your code kinda look like that.

I always though Apache's source was rather pretty.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Otto Skorzeny posted:

how did you get into this sector? because this sort of level of stuff is what I want to do and I'm about to graduate and jeet christ I need a job

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hopefully some idiots out in CO are down with the p-lang cause hoo buddy is this poo poo teaching me /quick/

i wish i could show some of this code for my portfolio/resume/whatevs. =/

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Phobeste posted:

how did you get into this sector? because this sort of level of stuff is what I want to do and I'm about to graduate and jeet christ I need a job

1. major in "computer and systems engineering", the bastard offspring of ee & cs. pay attention in class.

2. do a bazillion school projects and some lovely open source stuff and some hobby projects

3. while sending out resumes to places that won't give you an interview due to a less-than-stellar gpa, get cold called by a company that has had good luck hiring alums of your school

4. speak intelligently enough about concepts and their applications in the interview that you can convince them you're a good programmer and are more competent than a corpse wrt. electronics; for me this involved discussing the uses of the volatile qualifier, explaining how I2C buses work, discussing a time i fixed a bug by inspecting the generated assembly (in the context of vectorizing some matrix operations for one of the aforementioned projects), and discussing some stuff i did with CAN. obv ymmv.

5. await offer letter

6. (optional) don't be a complete doormat when negotiating the offer (i partially hosed this up)

i assume you've done 1 and 2

3 was lucky for me but speaking to people at your school's career fair and not sounding like an idiot will also get you interviews (i got a couple with bad companies like cypress semiconductor this way). tailor your resume to each company obv.

assuming 1 & 2 & that you have a pulse, #4 isn't too hard. it helps to research the company as well, and to take hints from the phone screen as to what you should brush up on for the live interview

Blotto Skorzany fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 6, 2013

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

uG posted:

When I was 16 I started leaning to program a D&D character generator in Perl using these guides, http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Perl/Perl-101-Part-1--The-Basics/

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the phrase that got me my first job was "no you go back and check your textbook". i didn't expect that at the time

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp

Jonny 290 posted:

hopefully some idiots out in CO are down with the p-lang cause hoo buddy is this poo poo teaching me /quick/

i wish i could show some of this code for my portfolio/resume/whatevs. =/
These guys are always hiring : http://jobs.perl.org/job/10810 lol 420 uc?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

the phrase that got me my first job was "no you go back and check your textbook". i didn't expect that at the time

my first job was by piping cat to perl to php to a different perl to netcat lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ratbert90 posted:

C primer Plus

Mr Dog posted:

Browse Apache's source code and make your code kinda look like that.

I always though Apache's source was rather pretty.

thx

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
artisanal source code

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
otto, srsly get me a resume if you have the vaguest interest in SF

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

does anyone seriously read source code without specific purpose and direction?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

uG posted:

420 μc

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

MeruFM posted:

art is anal source code

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

does anyone seriously read source code without specific purpose and direction?

yah i browsed the linux kernel source for a few nights the other week

taught me a bunch about C macros and inlined asm and caustic Linus comments

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh jesus i googled i2c to see how it works and realized i've been out of school for two years and already forgot all my electronics :smith: guess i'll be maintaining legacy enterprise shitware for the rest of my life

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
eh, i think the fact that a lot of poo poo is moving to serial buses (i2c/1wire/SPI) is fuckin' glorious and wonderful and makes tinkering even easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

yah i browsed the linux kernel source for a few nights the other week

taught me a bunch about C macros and inlined asm and caustic Linus comments

do you feel that your life took a wrong turn at some point?