Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Jay Feaster: And with the first overall pick of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, the Calgary Flames are proud to select xzzy, from the Chicago Adult Beginner League!

Pierre: Oh! This pick is way off the reservation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I doubt Feaster would pick a player that good.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I wanna thank all y'all for your great advice, I'll let ya know how my quest goes.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
lazerwolf and any other Philly area roller goons, there's an ironman tournament on Saturday with two divisions that is benefiting a good cause. We had a guy have an anuerism on the rink like two years back and each year the place holds a tournament in his memory. Proceeds go to the Gift of Life donor program and all participants get a T-shirt, winning team of each division gets a set of wheels for the whole team (I think they're gonna be the Revision Steel/Bronze/Gold/Platinum line.)

edit: Tournament is in Springfield, PA

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

How should I go about tucking my jersey in/keeping it tucked if I also wear suspenders? The jerseys for our team have not been finished, and I've been assigned a temporary jersey that is larger than one of Rosanne Barr's mumus. I tried Googling and the suggestions either require too much work or aren't very descriptive and/or helpful.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

Maybe I don't fully understand the logistics of suspenders these days, but I don't believe it is possible to fully tuck in a shirt/sweater/jersey with them on. Plus you shouldn't tuck in your jersey anyways. :colbert:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

If it bothers you that much I'd drop the $12 on a properly sized practice jersey or whatever. There's no good way to keep anyone from swimming in a jersey that is too big for them.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Gio posted:

Maybe I don't fully understand the logistics of suspenders these days, but I don't believe it is possible to fully tuck in a shirt/sweater/jersey with them on. Plus you shouldn't tuck in your jersey anyways. :colbert:

The back of my jersey naturally tucks itself during warmups. Aside from that whatever.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

sellouts posted:

If it bothers you that much I'd drop the $12 on a properly sized practice jersey or whatever. There's no good way to keep anyone from swimming in a jersey that is too big for them.

The jersey has a logo and number screen printed on it. I asked the captain at our first game if I could get a smaller size jersey and he indicated that it was somehow assigned. I was thinking of asking him again today if I could get a smaller jersey. However, considering everyone's already bitching about our whiz-bang hyper edge-replica bullshit $140 jersey package not being ready for (at least) our first two games, I figured just tucking it in for a while would be the path of least resistance.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 6, 2013

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I stopped wearing my teams jersey because the league has no rules against it and I hate the way it fits. It's some weird brand.

$140 for jerseys is insane though. I flat told my 5v5 team that I would not be spending anything close to that, so if they want to bring the price down great. If not they can count me out.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

We spent $170 for our pond jerseys that we wore for 2 days.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
We bought cheap knockoff jerseys from china for 20/each. other than the ridiculous ease at which the eyelets rusted, they're pretty solid. they even have fighting straps! We paid more for screen printing than we did the actual jerseys. There's no way I'd drop 150 on a jersey unless I knew I'd get some use out of it.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...
Bimalleolar fracture equivalent. Plate and maybe screws next Wednesday. Screws would have to come out after four months.

Sigh.

X-ray is too big to attach. Ankle is messed up pretty good.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Doctor Butts posted:

How should I go about tucking my jersey in/keeping it tucked if I also wear suspenders? The jerseys for our team have not been finished, and I've been assigned a temporary jersey that is larger than one of Rosanne Barr's mumus. I tried Googling and the suggestions either require too much work or aren't very descriptive and/or helpful.

Why are you tucking in your jersey?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bradf0rd posted:

Why are you tucking in your jersey?

Because it's larger than one of Rosanne Barr's mumus.

LEARN TO READ, JEEZ.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

LEARN TO READ, JEEZ.

My question is still relevant.

delpheye
Jun 18, 2004

I'm gonna fuck me a moon man!
Gretzky did it, so it's obviously necessary.

Serious answer though, push up and tape the sleeves over the bottom of your elbow pads and let that poo poo billow like a sail.

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

coldwind posted:

Bimalleolar fracture equivalent. Plate and maybe screws next Wednesday. Screws would have to come out after four months.

Sigh.

That sucks. I'll raise a beer to your speedy recovery after my game tonight.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

TSA allows sticks to be carried on.

Everyone's excuses for not participating in the thread tournaments are getting weaker and weaker.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

LEARN TO READ, JEEZ.

Speaking as a smaller lady who often ends up in a jersey half-way down to my knees: if there isn't some 6'6" 300lb dude struggling with a M jersey who would be open to a trade, embrace it and the comedy it provides your team.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Everyone's excuses for not participating in the thread tournaments are getting weaker and weaker.

I'd probably be down for Lake Placid next year.

Eagle River would be better, but getting into that is pretty much impossible unless you know someone who had a team the previous year.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

xzzy posted:

Eagle River would be better
Nope.

xzzy posted:

getting into that is pretty much impossible unless you know someone who had a team the previous year.
Nnnnnope.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Care to explain? :v:

Eagle River is a significantly shorter drive for me. And everyone I know who's gone says it's great fun.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

coldwind posted:

Sigh.

Yikes. I hope your surgery goes well and you're able to make a full recovery. Have they talked to you about what sort of treatment you'll do post surgery?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

xzzy posted:

Care to explain? :v:

Eagle River is a significantly shorter drive for me. And everyone I know who's gone says it's great fun.

Sellouts had a team in last year and we got locked out this year. A shitload of people who have been going for multiple years got screwed over by their retarded registration process.

Which was great, because sellouts and bewbies both said LP was better than the Eagle River tournament (in most/every way, I believe, but guys refresh me if Eagle River actually did anything better)

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Pleads posted:

Sellouts had a team in last year and we got locked out this year. A shitload of people who have been going for multiple years got screwed over by their retarded registration process.

Which was great, because sellouts and bewbies both said LP was better than the Eagle River tournament (in most/every way, I believe, but guys refresh me if Eagle River actually did anything better)

Does Eagle River have a bobsled and skeleton run? Does Eagle River have Liquids and Solids?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I tried faxing in a registration sheet for 30 minutes literally the second I was able to download it (website crashed), fill it out, and fax it in. It finally went through. The tournament was full. You can email (not the case 2 years ago, was the case this year) apparently but scanning that document took just as long and we were locked out.

Playing previously doesn't matter. They don't give a poo poo. Oh and if you email usahockey.com instead of usahockey.net or .org or whatever it is, that email address won't work despite the website being there, and you don't get a bounceback. So others who emailed in just never got replies and it was full by the time they figured it out.

Pros to Lake Placid:

+ Accommodations were much better (this can be our choice but the options on VRBO don't look as good)
+ Official hotel doesn't sell out before the tournament registration opens, unlike ER.
+ Infrastructure in the city is much better (A+ restaurants, options, entertainment). Eagle River is a small town (read: a dump).
+ Walking around LP was great. You could walk to the rink from our house and the hotel. The downtown owns and is plenty big. Not the case at ER.
+ LP has legitimately good restaurants if you're into that sort of thing. ER had a few that were ok but nothing that held a candle to where we went (Liquid and Solids).
+ LP has better stores for supplies like craft beers, fresh seafood and steaks, etc
+ Lake Placid has you playing at least 4 games. 2 per day. Eagle River has you playing 3 games, leaving 1 day with 1 game and a whole afternoon of boredom
+ There are activities to do outside of hockey (bobsled, skeleton, skiing, dog sleds, ice fishing, skate on the speed skating track, olympic poo poo)
+ You don't have to sweep the rink between games, they have people do it for you unlike ER
+ They clear new rinks and/or flood the rinks at the end of each night depending on conditions. Previously they had a Zamboni until someone lost a finger. Not the case at ER, they brush it with a bobcat and a metal brush, but no resurfacing or flooding of any kind.
+ They have extra rinks where you can gently caress around before/after games, so if you want to keep playing you can. Not the case at ER, they have literally 0 extra sheets.
+ Dressing room is indoors. At ER it's warming huts which means that your boots/feet are on ice when changing and during your game, so when you come back your insulated boots are frozen from being on that ice. Fun.

Pros to Eagle River:
+ The drive from the nearest airport (RHI) to ER is shorter than the nearest airport at LP (ART or ALB), however RHI is often prohibitively expensive
+ You can sometimes park on the ice itself, which has more of a tailgate environment with some people bringing cookers. You can't do this if you're flying in and if you are only playing in one game one day why do this?
+ Tournament entry fees are cheaper on a per game basis even with getting 1 less game.
+ Accomodations are probably cheaper here as well, because you're staying in a moldy Best Western instead of a nice tournament hotel or a rented cabin at LP. If you go to VRBO in ER, it's probably a crap shoot.
+ Each game you win a 12 pack of labatt. in LP we were supposed to get drink tickets (They hosed up guys, I confirmed this!) but those tickets didn't = 36 beers like we would have gotten at ER.
+ ER was easy to rent an additional sheet of ice for Thursday night before the tournament, which was a lot of fun. LP was not as easy and is guaranteed to be more expensive because you're playing in the same rink as the 1980 Olympic team
+ They do divisions by age and skill. This makes it harder to get into the league you want but the skill can be more comparable. LP was by age and a coed division.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 7, 2013

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

sellouts posted:

TSA allows sticks to be carried on.

You have to be a colossal rear end in a top hat to carry on a hockey stick. This would be in the same category as guitars, pets and small children.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bradf0rd posted:

My question is still relevant.

I look like loving Orko skating around.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You have to be a colossal rear end in a top hat to carry on a hockey stick. This would be in the same category as guitars, pets and small children.

They have a carry-on stowe dealio at the front of the bus. Used mostly for manpurses and irregular shaped items like the hideous multicolor blade of your bumble-bee hockey stick.

Also, as the owner of a small child, I take offense to your incredibly true statement.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Aniki posted:

Yikes. I hope your surgery goes well and you're able to make a full recovery. Have they talked to you about what sort of treatment you'll do post surgery?

I did ask about rehab or something like that and he said no. I guess we'll see.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I loved Eagle River but Lake Placid was better. Granted our accommodations were somewhat more plush (walking into that place not knowing what to expect was a pretty fun and amusing experience), but LP probably would have been a better time even if we'd been at the local motel. It is a really cool town.

The only thing Eagle River really had on LP was the local rink's open ice and the semipro beer hockey game, both of which were pretty awesome.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I can never do anything other than Lake Placid. It was the perfect weekend.

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
Anyone familiar with 3v3 roller leagues? I am going to be playing in a outdoor roller league in a full size rink this summer and I convinced it going to be terrible and full of chasing wide open break aways. Mind you I've had a ton of trouble with the 4v4 switch.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Dangerllama posted:

Well, well, well...it looks like your hockey stick baggage check requirements are about to be solved. TSA to allow small knives, sports equipment on planes starting April 25th

No word yet on whether pucks must be placed in clear 1qt plastic baggies.

I can't imagine where you'd fit a hockey stick if you carried it on.

Fun fact: different airports have different regulations regarding whether you can carry your skates on or not. This nearly got me arrested at JFK last year when I got into it with the TSA.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

bewbies posted:

the semipro beer hockey game, both of which were pretty awesome.

Forgot this. This was great. For reference it was the Great Lakes Hockey League, which is actually affiliated with USA Hockey.

It is a shame that there really isn't college hockey close or anything like that. Vermont is 2hrs away each way, even Clarkson is 90 min away in Potsdam. Going and watching some questionable hockey would have been a great bonus.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

We should have gone with our original plan: Get hammered and heckle the USA Hockey Tournament at the Herb Brooks Arena. (Which turned out to be like Pee-Wees/Bantams)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

I can't imagine where you'd fit a hockey stick if you carried it on.

Speaking of which, after I posted that link about hockey stick length, I took my older wood stick and lopped off about five inches from the thing.. went from ~65 inches from top to heel to ~59 inches. I'm 5'10" and this took the stick from the tip of my nose (off skates) to just under my chin.

Was kind of weird putting it against the wall against everyone else's stick, it looked like a kid stick. Was worried I had cut too much, but after skating with it I think I like it. I really missed the length when reaching for a puck, but I had a much easier time keeping the blade flat on the ice and this helped with passes and control.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

xzzy posted:

Was kind of weird putting it against the wall against everyone else's stick, it looked like a kid stick. Was worried I had cut too much, but after skating with it I think I like it. I really missed the length when reaching for a puck, but I had a much easier time keeping the blade flat on the ice and this helped with passes and control.

I am giving serious consideration to rolling out with a short stick when I play on Friday night just to see how big a difference it makes. I'll probably bring my regular stick with me too though, just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehk
Mar 10, 2006

[-4] Flaw: Heart Broken - Tehk is extremely lonely. The Gay Empire's ultimate weapon finds it hard to have time for love.
If you find yourself missing that length, but still wanting blade contact with a longer stick you should move to a blade pattern with a lesser lie. Assuming you already are not using a 4 and skating in a deep bend.