Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

shadowman mk2 posted:

Has anyone heard anything else about Zen Pinball 2? Didn't Nintendo direct say it was supposed to come out in February?

It's out over here in Europe, is it not in the US yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Yeah still not out here, even after announcing it'd be in February in the Nintendo Direct last month. Last I saw Zen had a post on Facebook saying they were working with (...or waiting on) Nintendo about it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

greatn posted:

It could have a port of the first and be a Deus ex Collection, it could have some other Sqenix acquired property and be some kind of Square Enix presents Western Gaming Selects Authoritative Edition

Id buy the hell out of that. Have your body on the gamepad for dynamic injuries. Hotbar of items on gamepad. Man, I want that way more then HR.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Sonic All Stars Racing is pretty drat fun.

If you're playing on the GamePad. If you're on a Wiimote it's an exercise in frustration.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bobnumerotres posted:

As meme-y as this is, yeah, I don't see who this is going to sell to. Everyone who wanted to try Deus Ex already did, who would they market it to? Especially if they intended to sell it at full price, I can't imagine anyone buying it.

Who said it was going to be full price? I mean, it might be, but why are we so sure of that at this point?

SyHopeful posted:

Sonic All Stars Racing is pretty drat fun.

If you're playing on the GamePad. If you're on a Wiimote it's an exercise in frustration.

Just a wiimote is quite impossible, but with a nunchuk it isnt' too bad.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

theflyingorc posted:

Does the lack of analog triggers for acceleration/braking hurt it? I sold my Xbox copy of NFS in favor of the upcoming Wii version, so I'm wondering how much I'll notice a thing like that. Of course, Mario Kart never had analog pedals, and that never felt weird to me so I'm probably worrying for nothing.

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

theflyingorc posted:

Who said it was going to be full price? I mean, it might be, but why are we so sure of that at this point?

I didn't even know a nunchuk was an option. Thanks!

Minidust posted:

Does the lack of analog triggers for acceleration/braking hurt it? I sold my Xbox copy of NFS in favor of the upcoming Wii version, so I'm wondering how much I'll notice a thing like that. Of course, Mario Kart never had analog pedals, and that never felt weird to me so I'm probably worrying for nothing.

Nah. Just like Mario Kart, brake/accelerator modulation isn't a very important component to successful driving.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL
On some of the more difficult challenges you will likely wish you could ease off the gas just a little while drifting, but considering how infrequent this is, just letting go of gas for a second or tapping it a few times works fine. That certainly wouldn't fly if you needed to do it more often, though.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Minidust posted:

It would be nice to have every once in a while, but it really isn't the biggest deal. Most racers are designed for you to hold it down 100% of the time anyway.

Need For Speed might be less forgiving than a Kart Racer, though.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

theflyingorc posted:

It would be nice to have every once in a while, but it really isn't the biggest deal. Most racers are designed for you to hold it down 100% of the time anyway.

Need For Speed might be less forgiving than a Kart Racer, though.
Hmm, all true. Although who knows, with all the attention the devs seem to be giving the Wii U version, maybe they'll even tweak things a bit to optimize the game for digital controls.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I wouldn't worry too much about it, analog triggers didn't matter much in Hot Pursuit, might as well have played that one with digital buttons since most of the time you're just on/off them 100%. Drifts could be initiated by light braking which would be a problem, if they couldn't also be done by just letting off the gas for a split second.

Only driving game I can think of coming up where it'd be a problem (...only other announced driving game period?) is Project CARS, and even that one might be alright since one of the testers is Nic Hamilton, who plays racing games with gas/brake on digital buttons on a wheel cause his physical condition makes pedals uncomfortable (meanwhile his race car has some specially modified ones iirc).

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Any game which is designed to simulate real driving as much as possible in effort to attract players who like that sort of thing will want analog triggers. Most other games with driving can usually do without. I still kinda wish that the gamepad had them though. I am very happy with the current triggers but I like how analog feels more.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The pro controller's digital triggers are the nicest feeling things in the world and maybe that's an okay tradeoff. Clicky click click.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Could just do it like GT5, make the right analog stick control the throttle and breaks.
Worked fine for me.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Xavier434 posted:

Any game which is designed to simulate real driving as much as possible in effort to attract players who like that sort of thing will want analog triggers. Most other games with driving can usually do without. I still kinda wish that the gamepad had them though. I am very happy with the current triggers but I like how analog feels more.

We all played racing games with digital gas buttons for years, I can't even think of the last racing game I played that wasn't designed to just hold the gas the entire time.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Astro7x posted:

We all played racing games with digital gas buttons for years, I can't even think of the last racing game I played that wasn't designed to just hold the gas the entire time.

Playing a GT/Forza style game with digital gas and brakes sounds like it would be disastrous.

e: I may be biased though, since I actually use a racing wheel for those games and even going back to a controller makes it weird for me :toot:

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 6, 2013

That Turkey Story
Mar 30, 2003

Anybody know what the purpose of today's system update is? Is it all backend stuff?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

That Turkey Story posted:

Anybody know what the purpose of today's system update is? Is it all backend stuff?

It's all backend stuff and even then no one's sure what exactly it did. I don't understand why Nintendo doesn't have patch notes like everyone else. :psyduck:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Crowbear posted:

Playing a GT/Forza style game with digital gas and brakes sounds like it would be disastrous.

e: I may be biased though, since I actually use a racing wheel for those games and even going back to a controller makes it weird for me :toot:

I play GT5 just fine with buttons, and that was pretty much the only way to play GT 1-4 if you didn't have a wheel. Yes the option is there for right stick but I know no-one who ever uses it because it feels too much like driving an RC car.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

njsykora posted:

I play GT5 just fine with buttons, and that was pretty much the only way to play GT 1-4 if you didn't have a wheel. Yes the option is there for right stick but I know no-one who ever uses it because it feels too much like driving an RC car.

The PS3 and PS2 both have analog face buttons.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The travel distance on those things are so short that they might as well be digital.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Astro7x posted:

It really depends on the game and what you want out of it. Forza is a great example. Some players are perfectly happy playing Forza just as you described, but there is also a really big fan base of Forza players who are really into cars in general. These kinds of people tend to appreciate analogue in racing games because it gives them a better sense of control which is the exact kind of thing they want when racing and driving actual cars too.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

I don't get the priorities here, but I guess it's cheaper and such:

Eurogamer posted:

Miyamoto says adding NFC integration to Wii U is a greater priority than dual GamePad support

Back in mid-2012 when the Wii U was this mysterious futuristic device, Nintendo showed off a bevy of features for it and while most of them have emerged, there's a couple that never saw the light of day. Perhaps its most notable missing feature is near field communication (NFC) support, wherein real life physical objects can be read by the GamePad simply be being placed in close proximity to it.

This technology is best known to gamers for its use in the Skylanders franchise in which a diorama reads info from figurines. This tech will also be used in Disney's upcoming mega project Disney Infinity. Last summer a Rayman Legends trailer was leaked that teased the ability to give the limbless hero health or spawn more enemies by placing toys with their likeness on the unique controller.

According to a report by Polygon, Nintendo is still working on NFC integration and it remains a greater priority than another advertised but missing Wii U features, the ability to play with two GamePads.

"With NFC, that's a feature that everyone that owns a Wii U can take advantage of," Shigeru Miyamoto told Polygon. "So that's what we're putting [as] our priorities right now."

Regarding dual GamePad support, Miyamoto said games are in development that will take advantage of that feature, but it's not a priority because we're not at a stage where people will want to purchase a (rather expensive) second controller just yet.

"With regards to the two GamePads functionality, from a gaming system standpoint we are developing games that will have that capability," Miyamoto said. "In the future, perhaps when we get closer to something that, an environment where everybody or a large majority of people would have two GamePads, that might be a time where we look at how we can leverage a system of that nature."

Now the question remains: will we get an NFC-supported Pokémon game? It's "catch 'em all" mentality would certainly lend itself well to the tech.
Source

Unless Nintendo is directly catering to Activision or, I guess Disney, I fail to see how NFC could get priority, but Nintendo might have something up their collective sleeve.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

MechaCrash posted:

The travel distance on those things are so short that they might as well be digital.

The pressure sensitivity worked fine for me in PS2 driving games and for CQC in MGS3 :shobon:

Iacen posted:

Source

Unless Nintendo is directly catering to Activision or, I guess Disney, I fail to see how NFC could get priority, but Nintendo might have something up their collective sleeve.

I can't imagine dual gamepad support is high on their priority list considering how few people would be willing to buy a second $150 controller to take advantage of it.

e: Oh hey he actually says that.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 6, 2013

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Skylanders > Dual gamepad support when it comes to revenues I don't doubt. I also wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo has been obligated to do this for a while and they are nearing their deadline.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

NFC is built into the controllers people already have. Dual Gamepad support involves asking people to spend a bunch of money on a second controller.

It's pretty obvious which one they're better-positioned, business-wise, to focus on and get people using.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The way that article describes NFC in games reminds me of the GameBoy e-reader cards actually.
I bought a bunch of those.:negative:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
At least with NFC built in they have to support it in some way, right?

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Baseless speculation: Zelda and 3D-Mario will have to do with the NFC.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Alteisen posted:

At least with NFC built in they have to support it in some way, right?

I can't imagine they're actively working on it without having something in mind. I can't think of any really compelling applications for it other than "POKEMON FIGURES SKYLANDERS STYLE" which I don't think will ever actually happen.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So I brought home the Wii U!

So far I really dig it, but spending a few hours setting everything up wasn't something I expected. Just trying to get Netflix to work resulted in the console freezing.

Luckily, the third paragraph down provided the fix: http://techforums.nintendo.com/thread/17583

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Is there a use for NFC that isn't basically on-disc DLC? That's really all I can think of.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Iacen posted:

Source

Honestly, I'm 90% sure it's because it's currently a cash cow for Activision, other companies are following, and it's something that could be easily integrated into the game pad without requiring an additional peripheral. I'd guess that they're looking for the most cost effective way to repurpose the built in communications functions on the game pad to support something that people could use. As a business consideration this is low cost/high reward making it a no-brainer on Nintendo's part.

And they're not abandoning dual game pads. Nintendo is a big company, they can do both even if more resources are being put toward NFC.

LividLiquid posted:

Is there a use for NFC that isn't basically on-disc DLC? That's really all I can think of.

It's to sell people stuff they don't need... er... to "enhance the game play experience." Basically Activision has found a way to make obscene piles of cash and other companies like Disney are already pushing into the same concept. At least Nintendo putting it into the gamepad itself will be benefit to consumers over requiring a peripheral to go with all of their plastic statues.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 6, 2013

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Crowbear posted:

I can't imagine they're actively working on it without having something in mind. I can't think of any really compelling applications for it other than "POKEMON FIGURES SKYLANDERS STYLE" which I don't think will ever actually happen.

Zelda WiiU has no dungeon items, you have to create your inventory by scanning household objects

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

quote:

analog triggers for racing games

I can't believe this is even a thing you are arguing about, there is no reason for them not to exist and it's painfully obvious that they would be a great option to have. No matter how much "but it works just fine for me" anecdotal evidence you stack up, the fact is that analog is a great thing for racing games (and others). Quit defending every single thing Nintendo does.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

KimT posted:

Zelda WiiU has no dungeon items, you have to create your inventory by scanning household objects

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Pillow

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Crowbear posted:

If they released pokemon skylanders or whatever, they might as well print money. They have to know this. I can't image them not doing it.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Crowbear posted:

Why in the world do you not think this is a thing that will happen?

They could also do what Disney is doing and leverage all their properties in something. Heck, they might have been working on it but pulled back to think things through when Disney made their announcement. Mickey Mouse is probably literally the only icon more valuable than Mario.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

MrFlibble posted:

If they released pokemon skylanders or whatever, they might as well print money. They have to know this. I can't image them not doing it.

Nintendo already has a million way to print money in place, and a billion more they haven't used yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

LividLiquid posted:

Yeah, you have your pokemon statue. You level him up. Take him over to your friends house and NFC it into his WiiU. Your pokemon with your levels and stats and whatnot is there. It ties stuff to the object. (Dont lose it)

• Locked thread