Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

SeaTard posted:

You can actually just delete the entire line from the save. And make sure you're editing the actual province, and not the history for the province.

And you apparently have to restart the whole game, not just reload the save. But yeah, that worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Beamed posted:

As far as I'm aware lots of royal marriages increase the likelihood you spawn an heir, but to be honest I have absolutely nothing to corroborate this.

Not true. Howevere, in eu4 it actually does.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
That's awesome. One of the most frustrating things about EU3 was the inexplicable sterility of all my rulers. Have a son? O.K., no more sex until he dies.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Nevets posted:

That's awesome. One of the most frustrating things about EU3 was the inexplicable sterility of all my rulers. Have a son? O.K., no more sex until he dies.

Isn't that marriage?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Nevets posted:

And not just for your ruler, but every single member of his dynasty in your nation.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
You turn your back on France for one measly decade...

Yeah, a France with 100,000 men and almost all it's natural landmass went to war with about 10 alliance chains at once, from Portugal to Finland, to the Golden Horde, to Ethiopia. I have never seen such a fast collapse, I didn't even intervene until like the 8th year when I grabbed the Calais area.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I need some March of the Eagles save editing help. I can't find the thing I have to edit to remove satellite status. What am I looking for?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

A Tartan Tory posted:

Yeah, a France with 100,000 men and almost all it's natural landmass went to war with about 10 alliance chains at once, from Portugal to Finland, to the Golden Horde, to Ethiopia. I have never seen such a fast collapse, I didn't even intervene until like the 8th year when I grabbed the Calais area.

I've been playing around with a broken up France in 1399, and that's not too far from what I'm currently trying out:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Minor Darkest Hour question, mostly for Kaiserreich: Is Anti-Tank Artillery worth researching? Hard Attack bonuses are difficult to come by, but a -2 penalty to Soft Attack sounds like too high a price to pay.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, what's the best EU3 mod these days?

Vodos
Jul 17, 2009

And how do we do that? We hurt a lot of people...

Kavak posted:

Minor Darkest Hour question, mostly for Kaiserreich: Is Anti-Tank Artillery worth researching? Hard Attack bonuses are difficult to come by, but a -2 penalty to Soft Attack sounds like too high a price to pay.
I am not an expert but I'd say don't research it when it becomes available. It will become more useful once overall army softness starts going down. IIRC there is also only a penalty on the very first research, all the others increase hard attacks without touching soft.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What determines whether a country can access your territory in EU3? I cleaved Austria in twain to weaken them but that doesn't mean anything if they're going to walk over my Salzburg when they need to. We don't even have agreements in place or anything.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vegetable posted:

What determines whether a country can access your territory in EU3? I cleaved Austria in twain to weaken them but that doesn't mean anything if they're going to walk over my Salzburg when they need to. We don't even have agreements in place or anything.

Is Autria the HRE Emperor and are you a member state? If so, then they get military access with all other member states while at war.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Is Autria the HRE Emperor and are you a member state? If so, then they get military access with all other member states while at war.
They're the emperor but I'm not in the HRE. Those provinces of mine they're crossing are part of the HRE though.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
They may get some sort of military access on you during the truce, but I'm not completely sure on the rules.

finsktalande
Apr 28, 2012

Vegetable posted:

They're the emperor but I'm not in the HRE. Those provinces of mine they're crossing are part of the HRE though.

If I remember correctly, the emperor gets military access to all HRE provinces during wars, regardless if the country owning the province is actually part of the HRE. This feature has caused me quite few suprises.

Freelancepolice
Apr 8, 2008
Ok so I'm just starting V2. I understand the majority of the principles and terms in the game. However, for my first crack at it, I've chosen Honduras (mainly because they're small, civilized and under developed). Now I'm just basically balancing my daily income then hitting the fast forward until I can make a factory. Is that the right way to go about it? I can't change much elsewhere and all they seem to make is fruit, fruit and more fruit (and a tiny bit of lumber).

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

finsktalande posted:

If I remember correctly, the emperor gets military access to all HRE provinces during wars, regardless if the country owning the province is actually part of the HRE. This feature has caused me quite few suprises.
Yeah, the emperor is the nominal overlord of those provinces after all, even if someone from outside the HRE is controlling them. At least the game is much better about military access than it used to be, when the AI would sometimes just decide to march across other people's territory without military access, HRE status or truces explaining why it could suddenly be allowed to do that.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Vicky2/AHD question, as Brazil how can I conquer Guyanna from the UK? I can beat back their troops (because the AI really is dumb when it comes to attrition) but the warscore required to ask for that one state is so high I'd have to occupy half the world. It's 1907 and the UK has not lost a single war all game, is this always the case or was I just unlucky with getting a World Police UK (it might be historical but I want fun gameplay)?

How much would they be weakened if I abused the console to win a war in which I force them to release some countries like Canada? I was thinking of just having them release Australia and Canada at the start of my next game.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Freelancepolice posted:

Ok so I'm just starting V2. I understand the majority of the principles and terms in the game. However, for my first crack at it, I've chosen Honduras (mainly because they're small, civilized and under developed). Now I'm just basically balancing my daily income then hitting the fast forward until I can make a factory. Is that the right way to go about it? I can't change much elsewhere and all they seem to make is fruit, fruit and more fruit (and a tiny bit of lumber).
You need a lot of capital to start a factory, which means that poor nations tend to stay poor and wealthy nations tend to get wealthier. You can influence this through taxes, technology, and politics, but if you're starting out poor you'll spend a lot of time ramping up.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Freelancepolice posted:

USCA is such a fun start (especially with A Pop Divided, since you start with the nationalist rebels already in place). I have a really hard time picking any other nation. If I do, it's usually Tuscany or Bavaria. USCA is also centrally located, so you can decide whether you want to take on Mexico or Colombia (and eventually get that sweet, sweet Panama Canal).

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

With MiscMods I'm noticing that my Counting House in Great Karoo keeps disappearing. I've built it about five times now. No occupation, no blockade, no nothing. It's a somewhat amusing bug.

Also this is the first time I'm seeing "Impossible" for diplo-annexation. I have 26 infamy and 99 prestige, but I doubt either is the issue since I've diplo-annexed with these conditions a few times already.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

A Tartan Tory posted:

Ok, it's taken about 50 years, but France has been reconstituted by the Administrative Republic of Orleans, allied with Switzerland who owns all the Burgundy/Provence area. :psyduck:

This is why I play with Aggressive AI, it makes things more interesting.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

So, what's the best EU3 mod these days?

Miscmods or EU3+ are the two that you'll hear a lot about, both are good in their own way. Miscmods is mostly vanilla, with a bit of cleanup. EU3+ changes a huge number of things about the game, like a non-lovely Magna Mundi. (Wiz will probably yell at me for comparing them)

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
MM the mod was actually pretty good, though, doubly so if you removed the pirates and Framed! (i.e. the taint of Ubik)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I still play Death & Taxes occasionally. It's basically a gameplay mod at this point, with the most important changes in the national ideas and the sliders. Silly alt-history sometimes, but who cares.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RabidWeasel posted:

MM the mod was actually pretty good, though, doubly so if you removed the pirates and Framed! (i.e. the taint of Ubik)

And those god-awful country ruining events if you dared to move a slider past 2/-2

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Beamed posted:

And those god-awful country ruining events if you dared to move a slider past 2/-2

They weren't too bad because you also got good events sometimes and the bad events could occasionally let you get beneficial slider movements. You just had to get used to rarely being at 3 stability.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

RabidWeasel posted:

MM the mod was is actually pretty good, though, doubly so if you removed the pirates and Framed! (i.e. the taint of Ubik)
A group on the Paradox forum has basically taken over the mod, since the old crew is nowhere to be seen, and updated it for the latest beta patch. it really works rather well. Goddamn AI even managed to beat my time to form Italy, through Milan becoming emperor and using that to declare itself king of italy. Not that it managed to do much with all those cores, all it did was lose the former Burgundian Netherlands to rebels and France, but at least there was the possibility of an upset in Italy. I really hope the EU4 AI is better able to take advantage of stuff like that, because it's just terrible to watch the Ai squander something which the human player can basically leverage into some real rear end kicking.

RabidWeasel posted:

They weren't too bad because you also got good events sometimes and the bad events could occasionally let you get beneficial slider movements. You just had to get used to rarely being at 3 stability.
Yeah, the positive events usually outweigh the bad ones for me, often by some margin. Magna Mundi is far from as constricting as people have a habit of acting like it is, it just requires you to adjust to a slightly different rules set. Staying at 3 stability for long periods isn't that unusual either, the bigger problem is that low stability triggers stability lowering events, which can put you in a really frustrating cycle once in a while.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

RabidWeasel posted:

That's probably true, I just remember that when I brought it up with Ubik, he said the idea of allowing more choices in a game conflicted with the philosophy of Magna Mundi. Which I suppose was a perfectly ubikitious statement. :v:

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Being jaded about something is so cool. You're just as useless as everybody else, but you get to be irritating and bitter about it.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I still play Death & Taxes occasionally. It's basically a gameplay mod at this point, with the most important changes in the national ideas and the sliders. Silly alt-history sometimes, but who cares.

I like Death & Taxes for the extra missions for the larger nations and the larger importance put on sliders and National Ideas, along with a few other changes and the extended timeline (Golden Bull of 1356 to end of WW1 in 1918)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I haven't tried Death & Taxes, I suppose I should. I tend to automatically assume that any of the huge mega mods are buggy messes filled with inexplicable weirdness and questionable 'rebalances' that run like molasses because they added 5000 tags for minor irrelevant nations.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

MC2552John posted:

I like Death & Taxes for the extra missions for the larger nations and the larger importance put on sliders and National Ideas, along with a few other changes and the extended timeline (Golden Bull of 1356 to end of WW1 in 1918)

I just started a multiplayer game of D&T with a couple of people, and it's basically like playing god-mode after playing several MP games of EU3Plus immediately before it. It is fun for a change, though we had to end up changing the map overlay and ocean textures so that the zoomed out map didn't look like a butt.

Fintilgin posted:

I haven't tried Death & Taxes, I suppose I should. I tend to automatically assume that any of the huge mega mods are buggy messes filled with inexplicable weirdness and questionable 'rebalances' that run like molasses because they added 5000 tags for minor irrelevant nations.
I wouldn't say that D&T is like that. Whether or not you like their balance and design choices, it's pretty well put together.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Kersch posted:

I just started a multiplayer game of D&T with a couple of people, and it's basically like playing god-mode after playing several MP games of EU3Plus immediately before it. It is fun for a change, though we had to end up changing the map overlay and ocean textures so that the zoomed out map didn't look like a butt.

Yeah while I do like the challenge of EUIII+, I also sometimes just want to watch my Breton blob to take over all of France, and D&T kinda feels like that... in a good way :unsmith:.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

MC2552John posted:

Man, and here I thought it was silly extending it to 1865. How are the rules of EU3 supposed to function in the 19th and 20th centuries?

Lucky Samurai
Oct 4, 2011

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Man, and here I thought it was silly extending it to 1865. How are the rules of EU3 supposed to function in the 19th and 20th centuries?

Who gives a poo poo when you own the entire world by 1800? :smug:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Are there any V2 mods that convincingly extend the timeline into the late 20th century? You could keep technology constantly upgrading and interesting through inventions that trigger after certain dates, and I think you could convincingly model things like post-colonialism through those epoch decisions like New Ideology. Plus it's not like APD doesn't already add new goods and parties and such. I think the only real limitations would be some POP slowdown and planes not being able to travel over water.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm trying out the Dark Continent scenario in MiscMods as a nomadic tribe in North America. My next mission is to colonise a neighbouring empty province but the game tells me tribes can't colonise. Is this a bug? I know I can modernise but that's about a few hundred years later.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Did you just start the game? miscmods Dark Continent has IIRC set-up events that improve the situation of tribals that fire up a bit after starting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It gave me "National Enlightenment", a major tech boost, for a couple of years but it didn't last very long. My current techs hover around 4, still hundreds of years from modernising.

• Locked thread