Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
On the subject of fighting games that a significant amount of people don't like, what's the consensus on the Street Fighter EX series. Most opinions that I've seen seem to think it blows, but I've had more fun with them than most other fighters. Granted, I don't really play as many fighting games as everyone else, but I always go back to EX3 and go to town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

A Bystander posted:

On the subject of fighting games that a significant amount of people don't like, what's the consensus on the Street Fighter EX series. Most opinions that I've seen seem to think it blows, but I've had more fun with them than most other fighters. Granted, I don't really play as many fighting games as everyone else, but I always go back to EX3 and go to town.
Skullomania owns but not quite enough to redeem that series.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Like many bad competitive fighting games, it's fun to just goof off and play. I enjoyed a lot of Ex2Plus when I was a teenager and stuff. I don't think it's godawful. I put it in the same area as SFxT, it's fun to press buttons and explore in training mode in bits and pieces, but it's a boring and unfun competitive game.

I think a lot of the flak SFxT gets is because people wanted it to be a good competitive fg, which I don't think it is, but it's hecka fun to just mess around with and junk. By that standard, it's pretty good :)

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah, I see what you mean in the whole goofing off. The series is goofy as hell and the combo system is weird and awkward but it's fun when trying a combo out actually flows into something cool. I've played 3 the most and I never actually got the chance to touch EX2Plus, but I've played the others except for I think EX1Alpha. I liked some of the ideas that they put out and I really do want to see another game, but that's never going to happen, so whatever.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I rather liked the series and actually preferred most of the Arika characters to the Capcom chars (Crackerjack, Kairi, Skullomania, Allen Schnider and Darun Mister off the top of my head).

It had the misfortune of coming out during a glut of 3D iterations of 2D fighters that were awful (to put it into perspective, the EX series was among the better ones) and at a time when 2D fighters were hitting their peak.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
EX2 owns.

I could do without the rest of the series.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
Most of the Arika designs feel more like "street fighter" than the entirety of the new Street Fighter 4 cast.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Waterbed posted:

Most of the Arika designs feel more like "street fighter" than the entirety of the new Street Fighter 4 cast.

This times a trillion. For some reason I really liked those character designs.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
I loved the music in the series because some themes are all hype, all the time (Ken, Ryu, Sagat), some are real chill (D. Dark, V. Rosso) and some are a mix of both (Gulie/Allen, Hokuto). They were really good themes and stage themes like Digital Ignition from EX2 were so great that they make up a large part of my Street Fighter-related music library.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Waterbed posted:

I agree, but prefer the weirder newcomers. It might just be one of those things where the characters became so archetypal they only seem uninspired in retrospect, though.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Periodiko posted:

Give me a loving break. I've tried to be civil

Yeah you sure ha

Periodiko posted:

There's still a lot of goofy bandwagoning against it amongst stream monsters, but it has a lot of momentum behind it and it's the best fighting game Capcom's made in a decade.

Periodiko posted:

Or ya'll could not be such hysteric babies and accept that a lot of people really like SFxT?

Periodiko posted:

Oh okay random guy who's terrible thanks for the input.

Periodiko posted:

What the gently caress did I ever do to you? I'm sorry, is liking a pretty popular new game against goon-consensus that much of a mortal sin?

Periodiko posted:

Why the hell are you bandwagoning to poo poo on a game you "haven't played or paid much attention to in like 10 months"?

Periodiko posted:

You people are the worst.

Periodiko posted:

If you seriously think Marvel is played anything like a Street Fighter game, you're retarded, or really bad at Marvel.

Periodiko posted:

You people are the worst.

Nope definitely no persecutory delusions or condescension here.

I don't even like SF4 either, but I sure do like when someone determines that anyone who doesn't like a bad game must be a "bandwagoning hysteric baby stream monster."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hey guys I really like the game where you hit buttons to make people fall over. Can we talk about that?

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

Hey guys I really like the game where you hit buttons to make people fall over. Can we talk about that?

That game sucks, idiot.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Endorph posted:

So in response to your "LOL U JUST A DRUNK FRAT BOY U NOT SMART ENUFF FOR DA HARDCORE GAMES LIKE STREET FIGHTER!" or whatever the gently caress I have this to say in return: gently caress you in your stupid loving rear end, you whiny little bitch. If you hate Mortal Kombat and the people who play it so much, get the gently caress out of the thread. You don't see us going into the SF4 thread or the MvC3 thread and calling everyone anime faggots or something. So just shut your stupid loving mouth, if you can do that even. I know it's hard cause you've usually got a million cocks in it.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dangerdoom volvo posted:

So in response to your "LOL U JUST A DRUNK FRAT BOY U NOT SMART ENUFF FOR DA HARDCORE GAMES LIKE STREET FIGHTER!" or whatever the gently caress I have this to say in return: gently caress you in your stupid loving rear end, you whiny little bitch. If you hate Mortal Kombat and the people who play it so much, get the gently caress out of the thread. You don't see us going into the SF4 thread or the MvC3 thread and calling everyone anime faggots or something. So just shut your stupid loving mouth, if you can do that even. I know it's hard cause you've usually got a million cocks in it.

this is like those anti-gay activists who are secretly the gayest of all. Way to deflect

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

dangerdoom volvo posted:

is this a repost or something because I'm now confused

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sestze posted:

It's from the MK9 release thread where some fg player posted something about the game's competetive viability (I think it was cautiously hopeful, even) and that guy with the Joker avatar just blew up on him.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sestze posted:

it has to be from srk, no one here should be that terrible

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Darkstalkers Resurrection comes out next week on PSN and XBLA! It is a compilation like Marvel vs Capcom Origins, composing of Darkstalkers 2 and 3.

If you've never played a Darkstalkers game before it's like proto-marvel where you have chain combos, push blocking, very offensive and momentum based gameplay, and fast movement. There are a lot of mechanics in the game that this wiki covers pretty well:

http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Vampire_Savior

Another cool thing about learning Vampire Savior(Darkstalkers 3) is that there are hours and hours of match videos on youtube to see how characters work and the basic flow of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/user/neojinbe/videos?view=0&flow=grid

This new release should have the same GGPO based netcode as MvC Origins and should be really good. If you want to get a head start and play with some people, VS is available to play on GGPO. Join #goonsgarden on synirc.net and ask for a game!

Oh yeah Darkstalkers also has some cool art!
http://art-eater.com/2010/07/test-1-darkstalkers/

(Stop talking abut sfxt)

Pockyless fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 6, 2013

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Fauxtool posted:

Nope, it was definitely from here.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fauxtool posted:

Nope. It was our very own Joker138 who also made similar posts in the Duke Nukem Forever thread when people pointed out how terrible it looked.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Do many people play Marvel Origins on PSN?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Mattavist posted:

Do many people play Marvel Origins on PSN?

No, because the games in that pack are the bad ones.

(Where XvSF?)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, I do have a million cocks in my mouth. Right now.

Also Darkstalkers 3 is a fun game for cool people, even if the best I got at it was abusing Dmitri's weird dash to buffer moves.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Pockyless posted:

Darkstalkers Resurrection comes out next week on PSN and XBLA! It is a compilation like Marvel vs Capcom Origins, composing of Darkstalkers 2 and 3.

If you've never played a Darkstalkers game before it's like proto-marvel where you have chain combos, push blocking, very offensive and momentum based gameplay, and fast movement. There are a lot of mechanics in the game that this wiki covers pretty well:

http://wiki.mizuumi.net/w/Vampire_Savior

Another cool thing about learning Vampire Savior(Darkstalkers 3) is that there are hours and hours of match videos on youtube to see how characters work and the basic flow of the game.

Holy balls that moves ALOT faster than the arcade version that I used to play waaaaay back in the day.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Why did they go for a release of Vsav as opposed to Vchron?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I agree, but prefer the weirder newcomers. It might just be one of those things where the characters became so archetypal they only seem uninspired in retrospect, though.

I don't think any of the Arika character designs stand out in gameplay at all, but in terms of visuals, simplicity and move design they feel very street fighter-y. The newer Sf4 characters while feeling less street fighter-y, are at least pretty unique gameplay wise. They basically feel like good characters in the wrong game to me is all. Fuerte is a giant steaming tamale butt though. Boringest design ever with obnoxious and unfun gameplay design for both ends of the spectrum.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Endorph posted:

To be fair, I do have a million cocks in my mouth. Right now.

Also Darkstalkers 3 is a fun game for cool people, even if the best I got at it was abusing Dmitri's weird dash to buffer moves.

Yeah I'm kinda fraudulent at vsav but I'm hoping Resurrection will give it a little bump in popularity (before Darkstalkers 4 inevitably shreds any existing good will toward the series).

El Estrago Bonito posted:

To be fair it's beyond a straight port of vsav, since it has a larger cast than either of vsav's arcade iterations did. Doing much beyond that is kind of akin to doing an SF3 re-release that includes 2i -- I'm sure like three people out there might appreciate it, but there's really just one obvious game that's the one people want to play.

Brosnan fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 6, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Vampire Savior is the version everyone plays competetively. Vampire Chronicles, if I recall correctly, removes Sasquatch from the game to make room for some dumb robot, which is clearly unacceptable. And I don't think it ever had an arcade release.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Pockyless posted:

Darkstalkers Resurrection comes out next week on PSN and XBLA!
I'm gonna play the poo poo out of that. I hope instant air-dash Q-Bee will be enough to carry me through some ranked matches. :dance:

PS: I really enjoy watching SFxT. I don't like to play it, but I like to watch it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Vampire Savior is the version everyone plays competetively. Vampire Chronicles, if I recall correctly, removes Sasquatch from the game to make room for some dumb robot, which is clearly unacceptable. And I don't think it ever had an arcade release.

Chronicle was the PSP mash-up of vhunt/vsav/vsav2. You're thinking specifically of vsav2, which took out Sas/Rikuo/Talbain to add Donovan/Huitzil/Pyron back in. Resurrection will just include all six of them, since there aren't really any space limitations these days.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
E: meant to post this in the other thread oops.

Is the darkstalkers collection the good ones (like vsav?) just wondering so I can get it or not.

Pockyless
Jun 6, 2004
With flaming Canadians and such :(
Yes it's "the good one." Vampire hunter is good too imo.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

It's probably not hard to find this account on YouTube if you start googling VSav, but I'm going to plug it anyways:

http://www.youtube.com/user/neojinbe/featured

Really great source for Vampire Savior videos, and he updates it pretty regularly with matches from the dozen or so people on Earth who still play the game.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
The version of VSav that Resurrection is based off is the Darkstalkers collection, which includes cool characters like Dee, who has Donovan's head and Demitri's body.

This poo poo gonna be craaaazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1E4cSmlHzWs

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 6, 2013

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

interrodactyl posted:

The version of VSav that Resurrection is based off is the Darkstalkers collection, which includes cool characters like Dee, who has Donovan's head and Demitri's body.

This poo poo gonna be craaaazy

Worst gimmick char.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Brosnan posted:

Chronicle was the PSP mash-up of vhunt/vsav/vsav2. You're thinking specifically of vsav2, which took out Sas/Rikuo/Talbain to add Donovan/Huitzil/Pyron back in. Resurrection will just include all six of them, since there aren't really any space limitations these days.

To be fair, its originally for Dreamcast I had no idea it got ported to PSP. What was good about it back in the day was that it has the complete rosters of all three games but makes them playable with the changes added in Vsav, which it sounds like this version is doing anyway. It also has super cool boxart for the DC version (see also the other game in the series: Street Fighter X). It's only downside is that it has some slight glitches in it, which I think they fixed for the PS2 re-release/rejiggering.

Edit: Apparently they wont have the Vsav version of Donovan or Pyrion, my two favorite characters. Laaaaaaaaaaaame.

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 6, 2013

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
Does the new Darkstalkers release mean I won't be able to play it on GGPO anymore? Goddamnit console gamers

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Does the new Darkstalkers release mean I won't be able to play it on GGPO anymore? Goddamnit console gamers

As far as I know they didn't remove the mvc origins games, and they recently put back street fighter 3. There are obvious workarounds even if they do remove it, but that will indeed hurt the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Probably not, since Marvel and SF3 are still there now. (edit: Beaten, but also who are you on ggpo?)

In related news, people should pay attention to the DS:Ressurection release probably because it's a good game, and unlike the way that Capcom royally hosed their Jojo's release (bad netcode, tons of differences from arcae, etc) it will probably actually be a half-decent release!!'

Edit: Apparently they wont have the Vsav version of Donovan or Pyrion, my two favorite characters. Laaaaaaaaaaaame.
Not sure which versions those are, since they weren't in vsav/vsav1...?

• Locked thread