Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I wanted to like Utopia, but I started to watch the fifth episode and realized I was just doing so out of some sort of "I've started so I'll finish" obligation. So I stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Pablo Bluth posted:

I wanted to like Utopia, but I started to watch the fifth episode and realized I was just doing so out of some sort of "I've started so I'll finish" obligation. So I stopped.

Scientifically known as The Magnusson Principle.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pablo Bluth posted:

I think most people were the same.
A second series has been commissioned so the drop off in viewers for that should be remarkable.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cerv posted:

I think most people were the same.

Really? I thoroughly enjoyed the show from beginning to end.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

It started off great, became idiotic and nasty through the middle and finished on a high note. I'll watch the second series, probably, as long as Wilson Wilson, twat girl and Jamie McDonald are in it.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Has anyone been watching The Alternative Comedy Experience on Comedy Central? I remember a bit of talk about it a while back but I don't get the channel. Just noticed that its available on iTunes and wondered if anyone could say whether its been worthwhile so far?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Imagine Stewart Lees Comedy Vehicle, except there are 3 comedians per episode and in between segments you have Lee interviewing them briefly. I think its excellent, but far too short. It feels more like a show in which you are introduced to lesser known comedians with bite-sized segments.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
I don't get why Comedy Central didn't make it six hour-long episodes rather than 12 half-hour episodes because it's too short

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I totally forgot about it and haven't watched it. So thanks!

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I've just been catching up on Black Mirror and I thoroughly enjoyed all of them this series, although "enjoyed" might be the wrong word. I still don't think any of them topped The Entire History of You from the last series though.

Anyway, did anyone catch that in The Waldo Moment, the Jason Flemying character was called Jack Napier - that was the joker's name in the Michael Keaton Batman film wasn't it? Also, it was apparently based on an idea for Nathan Barley? I wonder what that would have looked like.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Going to be watching 'Broadchurch' in a bit. Mainly for 'OOO that's my home-town!' related oddness.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

I tried to link it last time I posted here but I hosed it up. Ricky Gervais is bringing back David Brent for Comic Relief. I've seen a trailers and I'm really dreading it. I wish Gervais would gently caress off and hide forever. He really is producing a load of wank these days.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

sex pervert posted:

I tried to link it last time I posted here but I hosed it up. Ricky Gervais is bringing back David Brent for Comic Relief. I've seen a trailers and I'm really dreading it. I wish Gervais would gently caress off and hide forever. He really is producing a load of wank these days.

I have high hopes for the brent stuff, because Gervais plays likeable oval office much better than he plays loveable simpleton

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

sex pervert posted:

Seriously, what happened. I know personality wise he was a bit of a git but his talent seems to have dried up. Unless Merchant has been running the show for all of his good stuff?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Going by the trailers he's still got it, though. I don't spew hate towards Gervais like a lot of people but I'll definitely admit that both Life's Too Short and Derek are pretty huge misses. At least with Brent he's doing what he knows. I'd say Merchant is a key element to everything good Gervais has done if it wasn't for Life's Too Short. And Cemetery Junction.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Merchant was definitely the funnier of the two on the old XFM radio shows. I think half of Gervais's problem is just being so ubiquitous for such a long time. I think if Merchant had been in the limelight s much as Gervais's the we'd probably all hate him too.

That and Ricky Gervais's gives every impression of being a nasty, spiteful little man since he became famous.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I really like Derek, and I find the message a pleasing counterpoint to Gervais' public persona.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Good news then, Rapey Joe, because Channel 4 has ordered a second season

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Feats of Strength posted:

Didn't see this in the OP, but a friend of mine showed me this show called Stella Street from the late 90's (all of which seems to be on youtube) it's a pretty good comedy where all the characters are played by two comedians, the whole premise of the show is a bunch of celebrities (Michael Caine, Jack Nicholson, Joe Pesci, The Rolling Stones etc.) all move into the same suburban street, well worth a watch!

Oh wow, it's all the decent impressions from Dead Ringers! And they're allowed to swear! I'll enjoy this.

StrawmanUK
Aug 16, 2008

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I really like Derek, and I find the message a pleasing counterpoint to Gervais' public persona.

Yeh I feel the same, my Grandad has recently been put in a home so that certainly makes it more poignant for me.

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007
It's interesting how Derek divides opinion. Derek is literally one of the worst programmes I've ever seen (he's pulling his "mong" face, falling in ponds and trying to rescue baby birds for Christ's sake - it's like 'Of Mice and Men' for the under fives). Care homes should be interesting venues for comedy/drama, but I doubt whether the residents in Derek have said more than 20 lines between them all series. To make up for it, Gervais literally did a black and white montage of them dreaming of their younger days, set to the words of a Radiohead song. Either he's lost his mind or he's working on a different satirical level than I've ever seen before.

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Weekly wipe...spoilers? I don't know. It's a spoiler about why the sixth episode will be bad. Why the cock would you make the sixth episode in a 6th episode series a compilation episode of the last five 30-minute episodes. Ridiculously bloody lazy. (I'm talking about weekly wipe).

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Jawidar posted:

It's interesting how Derek divides opinion. Derek is literally one of the worst programmes I've ever seen (he's pulling his "mong" face, falling in ponds and trying to rescue baby birds for Christ's sake - it's like 'Of Mice and Men' for the under fives). Care homes should be interesting venues for comedy/drama, but I doubt whether the residents in Derek have said more than 20 lines between them all series. To make up for it, Gervais literally did a black and white montage of them dreaming of their younger days, set to the words of a Radiohead song. Either he's lost his mind or he's working on a different satirical level than I've ever seen before.

Yeah, Derek is utterly bizarre. I won't deny that there are some amusing bits in the two episodes I've seen, but the whole program just feels so patronising and soaked in melodramatic pathos that its quite aggravating to watch.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Noreaus posted:

Weekly wipe...spoilers? I don't know. It's a spoiler about why the sixth episode will be bad. Why the cock would you make the sixth episode in a 6th episode series a compilation episode of the last five 30-minute episodes. Ridiculously bloody lazy. (I'm talking about weekly wipe).
Saves money. A full series for less than the cost of 6 episodes. Probably made it more likely to get commissioned.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
This has been the case for many of Brooker's Wipes. I recall Newswipe had it's Compilation episode pulled forward to the 5th so they could give the Lybian Earthquake the coverage it deserved.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Still the most frustrating thing about the Railway is the passengers, especially the ones who turned up to Euston to go up to Manchester when there were no trains running due to advertised track works then blaming the unions :psyduck:

Noreaus posted:

They did that with Newswipe too and it didn't make much sense then, either.

Mr Phillby posted:

This has been the case for many of Brooker's Wipes. I recall Newswipe had it's Compilation episode pulled forward to the 5th so they could give the Lybian Earthquake the coverage it deserved.

He had a herniated disc and they moved it forward because of that.

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 6, 2013

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Derek is just shite. It fails at being a heartwarming drama and it fails at being a comedy. I don't know what it's supposed to be. I don't think Ricky Gervais knows what it's supposed to be. It's just shite.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

onoflalks posted:

Still the most frustrating thing about the Railway is the passengers, especially the ones who turned up to Euston to go up to Manchester when there were no trains running due to advertised track works then blaming the unions :psyduck:

I would happily wait hours for a delayed train if the cause of that delay was that man's on-track fatality.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Apprentice Winner Shocked that the job she won reflects reality more than the fantasy she was sold during a Reality TV show.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/mar/06/alan-sugar-apprentice-winner-tribunal

I really like the part where she thought she was going to be doing work worth a £100,000 salary. What kind of work does she think actually deserves to earn that?

edit: and the disappointment in being shunned by everyone else who didn't play a part in a pantomime to get their job.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Kin posted:

Apprentice Winner Shocked that the job she won reflects reality more than the fantasy she was sold during a Reality TV show.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/mar/06/alan-sugar-apprentice-winner-tribunal

I really like the part where she thought she was going to be doing work worth a £100,000 salary. What kind of work does she think actually deserves to earn that?

edit: and the disappointment in being shunned by everyone else who didn't play a part in a pantomime to get their job.

This is an outrage. How dare she be treated like-

No, I can't even pretend to give a poo poo.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Padje posted:

I would happily wait hours for a delayed train if the cause of that delay was that man's on-track fatality.

Valuing human life? BLOODY UNIONS :argh:

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Kin posted:

Obligatory Mitchell and Webb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ss-59fi4nM

TinTower fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Mar 6, 2013

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

Kin posted:

Apprentice Winner Shocked that the job she won reflects reality more than the fantasy she was sold during a Reality TV show

She got a job for a year that paid £100,000 because she bought 10 random items cheaper than anyone else. What loving else does she want?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The First Great Western episode of The Railway was great because of the sheer amount of time I've spent at Reading station. I even recognised the station master at Twyford. I, rather morbidly, expected any death on the line to be at Southall because there seems to be two deaths a year at that particular stretch a line. And ye gods, commuters are arseholes. I've lost count of the number of times I've been stuck at a station due to weather, signal failure or whatever and never once felt the need to berate someone who worked there

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Kin posted:

"Describing the first day of a four-month probationary period she... said: "No specific duties were allocated to me. I was provided with a desk and a phone but that was pretty much it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVGdhAetJaQ :smith:

Really though, Stella came across as one of the few people on this programme since the first series who actually had a clue about business and wasn't a complete arsehole. I think she was also the last winner to get the job as a prize. Maybe Sugar had just run out of places to put people at that point. I can't help but feel a bit sorry for the girl. It's been clear to me since the second series of the show that it has frig all to do with business and everything to do with the BBC's ratings and keeping Sugar's gargantuan ego inflated like a horrific, stubbly hot air balloon.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

sex pervert posted:

Really though, Stella came across as one of the few people on this programme since the first series who actually had a clue about business and wasn't a complete arsehole. I think she was also the last winner to get the job as a prize. Maybe Sugar had just run out of places to put people at that point. I can't help but feel a bit sorry for the girl. It's been clear to me since the second series of the show that it has frig all to do with business and everything to do with the BBC's ratings and keeping Sugar's gargantuan ego inflated like a horrific, stubbly hot air balloon.

Yes, I don't really know why anyone would enter that show any more. Still, I'll probably continue to watch it, if only for the hilarious times spent mocking it in the thread with some of you lot. And also :allears:Tom:allears: I wish he had his own tv show.

ANYHOO

I was watching a (surprisingly depressing) show about Crufts last night on More4 and that new Marco 'Knorr' Pierre advert came on. There is something about the way he says 'MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE' that cracked me up, so I made this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXNkzEwr2uM

If I knew anything about video editing I would try and creep the whole thing up like that Olsen Twins thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bq6ixGlCpzM

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

Rondette posted:

Yes, I don't really know why anyone would enter that show any more.

It was really poor last year. I think the only people who apply to be contestants now are those with business ideas that are too shite for Dragons Den :(

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Big Narstie's Guide to Eastenders is fantastic

quote:

BEST FEMME FATALE ON EASTENDERS?

Man needs Afia back, she was the sexiest ting, exotic bruv, Tamwar was just frigid. Peggy Mitchell was trilled up too but her neck looked like a used condom. But, here what I'm saying yeah, Kat's fanny has it's own mind, Kat's fanny is a person. It makes its own decisions, has its own emotions and its own feelings. She is the queen of the bizzle, her tits always look sweaty, like, if you lift one up underneath that leopard print top, it'd just be wet, like she's ready to go all the time. But, when Kat was with Alfie a lot of people were like "Kat's nice. Her fanny would be Premier League, I'd say her fanny was like Tottenham Hotspur or West Ham". But after loving Derek her fanny went down, her fanny turned into QPR, relegated with no chance of seeing the Premiership again. Hear what I'm saying, her fanny is on the bench, her fanny won't even get onto the reserves, her fanny and the floppy disk have something in common - they're both obsolete.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Big Narstie is a modern day philosopher.

Big Narstie posted:

BEST LADIES MAN ON EASTENDERS?

Max Branning, but first and foremost, Max's headshape is a thousand myths. He's got hair on his head but he's bald at the same time. I don't understand? Anyway, see Max, yeah? Max is one of them guys that doesn't like normal sex, he's on this Stan Collymore ting, y'know, going into the back of alleyways. Like, some man need that outdoor experience.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I am in tears, absolute tears. I got to share this with my sister who unironically loves the program.

quote:

Yeah, I've had emotional moments, I've had a couple of breakdowns where I've just ended up, y'know, leaving it. I spat at the TV, cos you see Archie, yeah? Archie loving up Ronnie's daughter, all of that just sent me off the loving Richter scale. David Attenborough is so much like EastEnders, they both break me down, I get too attached. People say all the time "Oh, EastEnders ain't real", but it's on everyday, it's a part of our lives, HOW IS IT NOT REAL? ...But that's the mind of a guy who smokes a lot of weed.

Simply fantastic.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 7, 2013