Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cythereal posted:

I should have remembered that players will always gleefully mess up any plans you have for a game's direction. After wiping out the Ethereal leadership on the planet in our ongoing game last night, the kill team chased after the Ethereals and Earth caste scientists fleeing the planet with their dissected Astartes and attempts at reverse-engineering Astartes biology and power armor in a Manta. I'd intended for them to get away, triggering the PCs to start an Imperial or just Death Watch effort to track down the Tau fleeing the Imperial conquest of the planet which would in turn lead to the the game opening up some. Instead, the Techmarine, who's played by probably the most creative player in the group, went back to the subverted Hammerhead and used it to blast through the Tau starport security and then overcharge its antigravity systems to boost into the lower atmosphere, ram into the fleeing Manta, and find themselves in the hangar bay of a fully manned Manta bomber with a hull breach about to exit the planet's atmosphere.

I decided to call it a night at that point. My players have never gone off the rails quite this badly before.

My players recently decided to shoot a Space Wolf for essentially no reason while an Imperial Guard General and an Inquisitor were watching. I ended up saying "no, you didn't do that, that doesn't happen" for the first time in this campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I actually only plan one session in advance, because I am never sure what the players are going to do and there is no point in me trying to anticipate them. I used to write whole arcs and have individual sessions planned 4-5 in advance, but they'd always shoot off the rails and end up somewhere crazy I had never considered them going. So now I just have a rough idea of what is going on and handle whatever they do one session at a time.

Karandras, your Deathwatch game sounds awesome. I have never been super interested in DW because I don't really care for Space Marines too much, but that makes it sound like we could have a really good time just wrecking poo poo up all the time.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ashcans posted:

I actually only plan one session in advance, because I am never sure what the players are going to do and there is no point in me trying to anticipate them. I used to write whole arcs and have individual sessions planned 4-5 in advance, but they'd always shoot off the rails and end up somewhere crazy I had never considered them going. So now I just have a rough idea of what is going on and handle whatever they do one session at a time.

Karandras, your Deathwatch game sounds awesome. I have never been super interested in DW because I don't really care for Space Marines too much, but that makes it sound like we could have a really good time just wrecking poo poo up all the time.

I've been encouraging my players to set up their own grand goals. Most of them will inevitably derail the whole game because the penultimate move of most of them is "Seize control of the ship" but it's still useful for me, since I can at least vaguely predict what they are gonna try to do

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I try to encourage my players, but their goals are usually very small-scale. Like until recently our Tech Priest's big goal was 'Build myself a sweet-rear end mechandendrite' and our Scum and Assassin didn't really have any at all. Our Psyker's goal is apparently to drive himself and everyone around him nuts with overusing his psychic powers, so I guess there is that.

Part of this is that our group has traditionally been really bad about system/campaign ADD, where we would usually play a game for only a short time, running a single adventure or module and then switching to a different thing (never to return). So people haven't really gotten into the habit of having goals that extend too far beyond 'stay alive, get stuff, finish quest'.

Now that we have been rolling with a single campaign for so long, some of them are starting to think about it and I'm hoping that they'll develop some good ideas that I can work with and either use to steer them or build some related sessions around. I think our Scum has decided that if they can get their hands on a ship he can start his own cartel, which would at least be something on the right scale. I am kind hoping that the TechPriest will take to the idea of renovating the ship and make it his goal to brign it up to its former glory.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Liesmith posted:

why isn't there an ascension for Rogue Trader, the best FFG 40k line?

I hate to break it to you but the lines have gone in the complete opposite direction to how Rogue Trader (THE BEST 40K RPG!) sets things up.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ashcans posted:

Now that we have been rolling with a single campaign for so long, some of them are starting to think about it and I'm hoping that they'll develop some good ideas that I can work with and either use to steer them or build some related sessions around. I think our Scum has decided that if they can get their hands on a ship he can start his own cartel, which would at least be something on the right scale. I am kind hoping that the TechPriest will take to the idea of renovating the ship and make it his goal to brign it up to its former glory.

It helps if you literally say to (for example) an Ork player "what's your plan for taking over the ship and becoming warboss?" Figure out what their character's motivations seem to be and then ask them how they want to get them.

This won't always work, though. the Archmilitant in my game is just interested in bossing servants around and punching losers, and showing off the Relic Bolter I gave him when they looted a treasure ship. He's a big mean jock and that's it. I had a slave/worker NPC slip him a note, intending to expose some corruption at one of the crew's bases, and he said "Eew. CHUNK HARDWORLDER goes and hands the note off to Dobbs [the party techpriest]. Then he wipes his hand off on Dobbs' shirt to get the germs off." His responsibilites aboard ship have been taken over by an NPC named Cleve who regularly says stuff like "blood for the blood God-Emperor. Skulls for the Golden Throne" and Chunk just tells him to carry on.

Naturally Chunk is one of my favorite characters in the game. Not having an ambition can be as fun as pursuing an ambition as hard as you can.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kingcom posted:

I hate to break it to you but the lines have gone in the complete opposite direction to how Rogue Trader (THE BEST 40K RPG!) sets things up.

NO!

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Its true :(

I still think the problems in Dark Heresy were mostly removed and the system in general cleaned up in Rogue Trader but maaaan the documents I've seen, the stories I could tell. Its a shame really.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Mar 7, 2013

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kingcom posted:

Its true :(

I still think the problems in Dark Heresy were mostly removed and the system in general cleaned up in Rogue Trader but maaaan the documents I've seen, the stories I could tell. Its a shame really.

wait, documents like memos where they say "Rogue Trader sucked and is the opposite of a good game" or something? Because that sucks. I feel like mechanically Rogue Trader definitely could be cleaned up but as a rules heavy game (like all FFG games) it does really well at doing exactly what I want it to and gives the players + GM almost unprecedented freedom in a pseudo-simulationist gameworld.

Of course, my other favorite game is Pendragon soooo

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Liesmith posted:

wait, documents like memos where they say "Rogue Trader sucked and is the opposite of a good game" or something? Because that sucks. I feel like mechanically Rogue Trader definitely could be cleaned up but as a rules heavy game (like all FFG games) it does really well at doing exactly what I want it to and gives the players + GM almost unprecedented freedom in a pseudo-simulationist gameworld.

Picture of Rogue Trader, big equals sign and dickbutt. PM if you want specifics but the times they are a changing. People complain about some of the rules in the systems (heh, view the full-auto 'discussion') but on the whole I think the games are very spot on for providing the experiences they set out to do. Rogue Trader just managed to hit the high notes for it and continued to release material that supported the experience accurately (Dark Eldar, system generator). Though I still dont know what they were on when it come to the method for calculating up profit factor increases.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kingcom posted:

Picture of Rogue Trader, big equals sign and dickbutt. PM if you want specifics but the times they are a changing. People complain about some of the rules in the systems (heh, view the full-auto 'discussion') but on the whole I think the games are very spot on for providing the experiences they set out to do. Rogue Trader just managed to hit the high notes for it and continued to release material that supported the experience accurately (Dark Eldar, system generator). Though I still dont know what they were on when it come to the method for calculating up profit factor increases.

I like the profit factor increase methods! What I don't like are ship components that add 50 or 100 achievement points every time a specific adventure keyword is used, and which stack with each other and with other components, so that an exploration achievement (you found a gem on the beach! 5 achievement points, exploration keyword) can lead to >100 achievement points, and when an endeavor has multiple keywords it's basically gonna pass the achievement point limit on its own.

Fortunately my players buy cargo holds so they can keep poo poo in them and bought a chapel to the God Emperor so that they could roleplay being pious, not so that they can get achievement points from them. I mostly deal with this by not giving keywords, then when a endeavor has an obvious keyword associated with it, letting the ship component achievement points being the only ones they get.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
As for the combat rules, sure, most everyone accepts that they have been better with every new iteration of the rules, and just about everyone houserules the whole thing to use Black Crusade full auto/Rightous Fury rules. That doesn't mean anything except that they took a while to figure combat out, though.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Liesmith posted:

I like the profit factor increase methods! What I don't like are ship components that add 50 or 100 achievement points every time a specific adventure keyword is used, and which stack with each other and with other components, so that an exploration achievement (you found a gem on the beach! 5 achievement points, exploration keyword) can lead to >100 achievement points, and when an endeavor has multiple keywords it's basically gonna pass the achievement point limit on its own.

Fortunately my players buy cargo holds so they can keep poo poo in them and bought a chapel to the God Emperor so that they could roleplay being pious, not so that they can get achievement points from them. I mostly deal with this by not giving keywords, then when a endeavor has an obvious keyword associated with it, letting the ship component achievement points being the only ones they get.

Yea the achievement keyword system and achievement points in general are what I was talking about

Liesmith posted:

As for the combat rules, sure, most everyone accepts that they have been better with every new iteration of the rules, and just about everyone houserules the whole thing to use Black Crusade full auto/Rightous Fury rules. That doesn't mean anything except that they took a while to figure combat out, though.

Most everyone on this forum.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kingcom posted:

Most everyone on this forum.

is there honestly a debate about it elsewhere? the 10/0/-10 setup is a perfectly elegant way to make your players think about whether they want more accuracy or more hits, where the 0/+10/+20 setup led to everyone sniping with full auto and Vindicare Assassins ending up the least effective solo killers on the team.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

kingcom posted:

Yea the achievement keyword system and achievement points in general are what I was talking about

I think the default system works well if instead of letting the PF build up to ridiculous levels, the party just burns the stuff like no tomorrow for bonuses to acquisition rolls. It's also in-character as well.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CommissarMega posted:

I think the default system works well if instead of letting the PF build up to ridiculous levels, the party just burns the stuff like no tomorrow for bonuses to acquisition rolls. It's also in-character as well.

hmm. I think I'll start encouraging this.

Of course, then you get guys who are all kitted out in the best possible stuff at all times. But gently caress it, I've already given out the strongest powersword ever made, and one of my players bought a Best Craftsmanship Lathe Wrought suit of Mark II "Ironclad" Power Armor, (10 AP all over, halves Pen of anything that shoots him) so it's not like them getting overpowered stuff is a concern at this point.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

Thats a pretty good way of doing things actually...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Liesmith posted:

hmm. I think I'll start encouraging this.

kingcom posted:

Thats a pretty good way of doing things actually...

It's definitely the vibe I got when they introduced the rule in Into The Storm. As for getting all the good stuff, they start out plenty well-kitted already, and the sooner they get the awesome gear the sooner the players can really feel like the Imperium's finest.

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Thanks! Yeah, you really can just wreck poo poo up. We get a lot of in character discussion about the best way to do stuff, our Astral Claw is really great at the "The strong are strongest alone" and completing the mission above all other considerations like collateral damage or non-Astartes casualties. His plan for the Astropath investigation was actually a boarding torpedo, he's also a 6 Fellowship Exemplar of Honour Sergeant as well who is amazing at leading a Kill-Team and really does get stuff done when let off the leash but the rest of the team outvote him for squad leader whenever it's something more delicate.

On a previous mission they made a temporary alliance with Craftworld Eldar protecting a barren Maiden World from a Dark Eldar assault only to betray them at the last minute, steal some of their webway gate tech and fight their way through both sides to the extraction point. That's where they learnt that three War Walkers with scatter lasers is about as OP and cheesy in Deathwatch as they are on the tabletop (Didn't stop them killing the first trio of them and avoiding the second trio)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I don't want to get into the auto/full-auto conversation again, but I do want to point out that the Black Crusade combat changes also made melee much more viable. Under DH and RT all the multiple-attack options are full actions, meaning that there is no way to move and use them effectively - you basically have to get yourself into combat and then wait until your next turn to benefit from things like Swift Attack. It's pretty frustrating for someone who wants to play, say, a Dealth Cult assassin because you already have to invest Talents and stuff into even being able to make multiple melee attacks, compared to someone using a ranged weapon who can just Full-Auto as a basic action and has much less to worry about in terms of movement and positioning.

I don't care which system people prefer or what they want to use, if you love the DH or RT versions then go ahead and use them. But switching to the BC setup meant that my players felt like they could use a lot more combat options without intentionally handicapping themselves. I think everyone should at least take a look at them and then choose what works best for their players and game.

Karandras posted:

Thanks! Yeah, you really can just wreck poo poo up. We get a lot of in character discussion about the best way to do stuff, our Astral Claw is really great at the "The strong are strongest alone" and completing the mission above all other considerations like collateral damage or non-Astartes casualties. His plan for the Astropath investigation was actually a boarding torpedo, he's also a 6 Fellowship Exemplar of Honour Sergeant as well who is amazing at leading a Kill-Team and really does get stuff done when let off the leash but the rest of the team outvote him for squad leader whenever it's something more delicate.

I should probably take a second look at Deathwatch, I think that I kind of wrote it off too quickly because in my head Space Marines are pretty dull and it didn't seem like it presented a lot in the way of character building and rp elements (just a bunch of thick-neck dudes standing around shouting 'YES BROTHER, I TOO FAVOR THE NOBLE BOLTER, BROTHER. FOR THE EMPEROR!' Dropping a campaign into one of the more complicated periods of imperial history could be cool though, and I am probably short-sticking Space Marines in general. Now that I think about it, maybe you could jog the system into letting the players be some of the last Celestial Lions, being the tail end of a dying Chapter would probably have a lot of RP opportunities and there is plenty of pathos there.

CommissarMega posted:

It's definitely the vibe I got when they introduced the rule in Into The Storm. As for getting all the good stuff, they start out plenty well-kitted already, and the sooner they get the awesome gear the sooner the players can really feel like the Imperium's finest.

One of the things that I struggle with is letting the players get a hold of awesome equipment. I'll always try to limit what they can get and how good it can be, often without realizing that I'm really doing it. I mean there is no practical reason not to let them get cool stuff - I can always ramp up enemies to continue to challenge them, and even people with amazing equipment are vulnerable in other ways (like to psychic powers, or political gambits, or whatever). Maybe we've been playing DH so long I just think they need to always be scraping by trying to get that better autogun. It's something I'm working on dealing with now, because it struck me how stupid it is that we're in the middle of a bunch of sessions that could give them a whole starship, and I'm fussing around about what sort of pistols/armor they might score.

I think that I am probably not a good GM, but dudes seem to have fun so I guess that's what matters.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
The trick with Space Marines is to realize that every single chapter is just faking the "YES BROTHER" stuff while secretly trying to pull something galaxy-destabilizing off and engaging in weird secret rituals that make their normal 'secret' rituals look tame. Yes, even the Ultramarines, who are trying to re-organize a Legion. Which is why Deathwatch is great, since you've got all these dudes who were sent to the rear end-end of nowhere with no chapter support trying to figure out how much they can get away with now that they've bonded with these other dudes over a hearty round of killing aliens.

Edit: I just realized that I really want to see a Deathwatch soap opera and I don't care who knows it.

"This week, Marneus the Space Shark debates whether to approach Calgar the Ultramarine and offer to induct him into his ancestral blood cult. Will Calgar report him as a heretic or accept the honor as intended? Meanwhile, Ferrus the Salamander tries to perfect his latest flamer despite Horace the Space Wolf drinking all the promethium."

Benagain fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 7, 2013

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ashcans posted:

I think that I am probably not a good GM, but dudes seem to have fun so I guess that's what matters.

Folks having fun is the only thing that matters.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE

Benagain posted:

Yes, even the Ultramarines, who are trying to re-organize a Legion.

Where is this from?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
It's been briefly mentioned in a couple books that all the Ultramarines successor chapters have absolutely no problem working under Ultramarines leadership and there have been one or two combined operations where they basically said "gently caress this specific thing right here" and unleashed the pain.

Basically, the Space Wolves said "gently caress the rules, we'll have as many dudes as we want." The Black Templars said "Sure, we're following the rules." and then made themselves impossible to count. The Ultramarines said "Yes, absolutely, we'll split into as many chapters as you want. All of whom will follow our exact doctrine, revere our primarch, use our tactics, and follow our orders."

I mean obviously there's been a few successors who don't toe the exact doctrinal line but by and large the Ultramarines probably command allegiance from at least a third of all existing chapters if not more.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Between the Space Wolves, the Black Templars, the Dark Angels (who definitely ARE 1 legion), and the Ultramarines based chapters, the Imperium has 4 groups which could potentially be Legion strength whenever they wanted.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cythereal posted:

My players usually aren't that reckless. They can get incredibly creative and underhanded - they once used a realdoll, perfume, and sound-canceling device to kill a werewolf with a freight train in Hunter - but they're usually not that gung-ho. Deathwatch seems to be bringing out the bloodthirst in them, though.

Probably a side effect of playing a ten foot tall walking tank armed with machine guns that shoot rockets.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Ashcans posted:

One of the things that I struggle with is letting the players get a hold of awesome equipment. I'll always try to limit what they can get and how good it can be, often without realizing that I'm really doing it. I mean there is no practical reason not to let them get cool stuff - I can always ramp up enemies to continue to challenge them, and even people with amazing equipment are vulnerable in other ways (like to psychic powers, or political gambits, or whatever). Maybe we've been playing DH so long I just think they need to always be scraping by trying to get that better autogun. It's something I'm working on dealing with now, because it struck me how stupid it is that we're in the middle of a bunch of sessions that could give them a whole starship, and I'm fussing around about what sort of pistols/armor they might score.

I had the same problem. The way I like to do it is to break weapons and equipment up into tiers of access when your worried about it going too far too quickly or one person getting ahead of another. This isnt to say they cant get over that but more of a general guide on what to be caring about floating about the party Low level (Rank 1-4) gear is focused on common equipment with a focus on attachments and special ammo to maximise how effective it is: lasguns, autoguns, shotguns, stubbers are the key element of the day, melee weapons mostly just the ordinary stuff with mono and the like maybe grabbing shock weapons if they go in that direction. Lots of push for custom ammo, armour tends to cap out at Mesh stuff. Lots of grenades and buying support gear. Mid Level (5-7) tends to be about gear with lots of special properties and bigger boom with things like bolt weapons (which is a really good transition wepaon for this as they are stupid expensive ammo wise but the gun is dirt cheap, so its a very valuable sidearm at lower ranks you can fire more comfortably at higher ranks), flamers, the bigger heavy weapons, chain weapons, all the monster fancy guns that are maybe too far for the low category like the Vanaheim shotgun, armour going to carapace or lots of cool stealth suits. Maybe branching into plasma guns at the higher end of this or power weapons. High Level (8-9) is just the crazy everything go nuts, power weapons and plasma are the norm, power armour, melta guns and force weapon. Augments/bionics for everyone here while usually its just the techpriest/replacement limbs prior to it. Force fields too if you want.

Thats how I generally bracket things out, I mean theres exceptions and classes that actively go against that or if a player really wants to do something specific or a scenario results in cool things then. Just a little easier to manage what everyone is using.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Mar 8, 2013

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ashcans posted:

One of the things that I struggle with is letting the players get a hold of awesome equipment.

I went kind of hog wild with the treasure generator in Stars of Inequity, and I always give cool enemies SOMETHING neat to use on my players. As a result my players really have everything Extremely Rare and under that their hearts desire, and everyone has some Unique thing to play with.

Also with exotic stuff I don't give stats or names, just descriptions and if they pass a forbidden lore check I tell them more about the race that made the gun. The stats don't come until they fire it off.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

There's more gradient to it than is readily apparent, since you can use the BC rules to make weapons with drawbacks or quirks. I'm playing a really poor Rogue Trader right now who was desperate for an inferno pistol, so I jumped at the chance when my GM offered an Orky one that has a magazine size of one and absolutely must release a flamer-sized gout of fire during the next round or it'll explode and probably kill him.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 8, 2013

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Liesmith posted:

His responsibilites aboard ship have been taken over by an NPC named Cleve who regularly says stuff like "blood for the blood God-Emperor. Skulls for the Golden Throne" and Chunk just tells him to carry on.
WHAT?

Why is he not reprimanding Cleve! That's incredibly wrong!

The Golden Throne needs souls, not skulls! I mean come on. :mad:

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Dropping a campaign into one of the more complicated periods of imperial history could be cool though, and I am probably short-sticking Space Marines in general. Now that I think about it, maybe you could jog the system into letting the players be some of the last Celestial Lions, being the tail end of a dying Chapter would probably have a lot of RP opportunities and there is plenty of pathos there.

Yeah absolutely. Using the Deathwatch rules to do a single Chapter works really well and in fact some of the rules for Squad Mode abilities only affect people of the same Chapter, so you can get some neat stuff out of it. When this game is over I'm probably going to work out some rules for each of the cults and run an all Thousand Sons game with the party being on a ship that was absent from the sacking of Prospero and working out whether to follow the Legion into the Eye or become a second, more wizardly, Flight of the Eisenstein.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Ashcans posted:

Dropping a campaign into one of the more complicated periods of imperial history could be cool though

One of the things I'm planning on doing in my Rogue Trader game is having the whole St. Drusus resurrection + rebellion thing from the Dark Heresy modules happen in the Calixis sector, which is gonna completely gently caress up their trade routes there, make the Koronus Expanse even more exposed with even less naval + inquisitorial oversight, leading to an increase in Rak'Gol and Ork attacks across the sector. It's cool that they wrote that into the Dark Heresy setting because now you've got an instant gamechanger, planetary governors rebelling, opportunities to trade with the rebels or stamp them out and claim prosperous ex-imperial planets for yourself, all kinds of poo poo. One of those planets is gonna be the Rogue Trader's home world, and his family is gonna look to him to see which way they jump.

There are a couple of things like that already. Playing a game where the Maw has first opened and you're going out there with the first Winterscale and Lathimon and that one crazed inquisitor/rogue trader and whoever else and there's still remnants of the crusade who haven't been called back, that could be sick.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I've never been sure if we're just doing Squad Mode wrong or we're just not facing enough opposition, but I've never actually found we need it during the Deathwatch game I'm playing in. We pretty much never use it, which is occasionally annoying, as I built my TacMarine to be particularly good at reducing cohesion costs and the like, but then we just kill the gently caress out of everything in normal combat with our heavy bolter, Techmarine With Missile Launcher, and our blender-like assault Marine. It doesn't help that the rules are clunky as hell. I mean, to this day, we're not clear on whether or not you pay the cohesion cost for a power once per mission, once per encounter, or once per use on stuff like Bolter Assault or Furious Charge. How do the rest of you run that? I'd really like to get my Sergeant on occasionally but things just feel so unclear and our GM has grown to hate the mechanic dearly.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone know how to hide a Tainted and/or Daemon-infused item on an Imperial world, at least in such a way that it won't trigger any normal psychic probing and look like a really unusual and/or artistically created piece of equipment. I've got a plot hook stirring in my mind now that my group wants me to begin GMing Black Crusade, but I'm not sure how to pull it off without ticking off the spergmeisters in my group (of which I'm one of).

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
Just have it stowed in the deep levels of a hive city, preferably with a cult of mutants or criminals worshipping it.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Make it the site of some old daemon-battle, so there's chaos all over?

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 209 days!
Also, at least one example from FFG themselves is a noble receiving possessed jewelry as a gift. Some nobles buy xenos trinkets and artwork intentionally, which is a great way to end up with something eating your soul.

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Mar 9, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Hodgepodge posted:

Just have it stowed in the deep levels of a hive city, preferably with a cult of mutants or criminals worshipping it.

The thing is, I don't want it hidden. I want it in a public area, where the players will either have to crash the party (perhaps literally), or get sneaky. That's why I don't want it to be revealed by just about any random psyker passing by.

Hodgepodge posted:

Also, at least one example from FFG themselves is a noble receiving possessed jewelry as a gift. Some nobles buy xenos trinkets and artwork intentionally, which is a great way to end up with something eating your soul.

This could work; I might be able to put it in an existing art piece, with anyone watching just attributing their unease to their unfamiliarity with this kind of work. Wouldn't something like that be cause to call in the Inquisition though? If people are getting the heebie-jeebies from Lord General Snootington XVI's abstract sculpture, I'm sure one of them would pester the Inquisition to send an Acolyte or two.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

I dunno, depends where it is and who it is, I guess. I mean, it's not like everyone has a line to the Inquisition they can call if they think something is weird.

Another option is that you could have whatever it is be embedded/integrated into something like an Imperial shrine or monument. So maybe the item is a tainted staff that was originally the weapon/tool of a chaos magus (or whatever) who was destroyed by an Imperial hero/saint. They build a giant fuckoff statue to celebrate it and, not realizing what was up, integrated the staff (and a bunch of other trophies, etc.) into the shrine. Maybe it does get noticed by psykers, but many of them assume its related to the nature of the shrine rather than the hidden item. And if one of them does try to bring it up, the Ecclesiarchy is crazy about it and is all 'Oh, the statue of our savior St. Agnes makes you uncomfortable? Maybe that is because of the burning weight of your sins you feel under her glorious presence, warp-fiend!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Public place ? Crash the party ? I say set the object up as a lot in an auction. Security fields at the auction house should keep it from being detected before you need it to.