Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Install Gentoo posted:

He's saying that there's no conceivable way to stem a potential flood of legal weed from Washington State into Oregon along a major commuter and long haul trucking route. The Oregon cops (who are supposed to enforce laws against marijuana) can't do poo poo to all of the hundreds of thousands of people who cross the state line around Portland daily.

Basically this. It is one thing when everyone involved is breaking several laws, the government understands that there will always be crime (in the case of prohibition, lots of crime). But when the crime is being enabled by a neighboring state, that's when everyone tends to get all hot and bothered. Its a tradition going as far back as various fugitive slave acts, basically no state is supposed to make life worse for a neighbor, unless its about Guns, then its OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Install Gentoo posted:

He's saying that there's no conceivable way to stem a potential flood of legal weed from Washington State into Oregon along a major commuter and long haul trucking route.

Yes, and I was saying they have never been able to.

Though perhaps I'm mistaken and there is no cannabis available in Oregon.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 19, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KingEup posted:

Yes, and I was saying they have never been able to.

Though perhaps I'm mistaken and there is no cannabis available in Oregon.

There has never been a period in time when there was this much weed being buyable in Washington for all the folks in Portland to use. It is a massive increase in the good quality weed supply (which is a good thing) and the Oregon cops are probably fuming mad about it and their inability to stop it.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Install Gentoo posted:

He's saying that there's no conceivable way to stem a potential flood of legal weed from Washington State into Oregon along a major commuter and long haul trucking route. The Oregon cops (who are supposed to enforce laws against marijuana) can't do poo poo to all of the hundreds of thousands of people who cross the state line around Portland daily.

It isn't legal to bring it from Washington into Oregon anyway, so it's not really "legal weed". There probably will be a bunch of people who drive to Washington to get their own personal stash, but in terms of any trafficking for sale it's going to be pretty much the same in 2013 as it was in 2012 or 1937. I mean there are already people getting "legal weed" from California and it's not a huge issue.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Install Gentoo posted:

Yeah, remember that the Oregon/Washington border is one of those zones that people specifically cross every day for economic benefits (there's no sales tax in Oregon, but no income tax in Washington, so people live in the latter and shop in the former).

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Morphix posted:

I had a meeting with Mike Reed this weekend, whose one of the bigger lawyers representing people in Seattle in our industry. I think he's going to be setting up my next expansion.

A few things I learned from the meeting;

-There's a 21 year old millionaire who I'm supposed to meet, who I'm kind of jealous of because goddamn I'm closing in on 30 and noone near that successful.
- Washington's latest estimates on how much we need to produce to meet just the local needs is, 89 Millions Grams per year.

Let me say that again, that's 189,000~ loving pounds. Just for the local economy. That number is blowing my mind.

-Seattle is good to go, basically it's by municipality at this point. Certain areas don't give a poo poo how big you go, other areas, like say Lynnwood or anything patrolled by the Sheriffs, well good luck.

-The Washington Sherrifs have a kangaroo style court where you basically get robbed by the Police. Any money, seriously, any money you have on you, they will take at least 35% of on avg. Like, you can literally get out of trouble if you don't try to claim whatever they took.

- There is an amazing assortment of characters in this industry, ex-bodyguards to Saudi Princes, former sherrifs, Microsofties, one of the founders of Progressive is even trying to get a cut from the industry via DUI's lol.

-Good Lawyers are expensive, but at the same time, they're understandable of the industry and basically playing it for the long game by getting points on the back end. So it's only costing me $3500/yr to have representation but it involves points. Tough decisions to make.

- You can pay for politicians furniture and house upgrades via campaign contributions. I kid you not.

I might make an ask/tell thread about my experiences over the next few months, but definitely will register a new name. As I no longer feel that comfortable talking about specifics of my business.

And this is why our country is slowly slipping down the toilet day by day.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Red_Mage posted:

I think, at least under the Obama DoJ, they are probably going to go after major growers/distributors that are provably breaking the law by exporting to Oregon/Idaho (some of them will certainly do this). That said since Marijuana is 21+ a fairly easy fix for the Vancouver issue is to require not just an ID, but a Washington State ID to purchase cannabis in border towns. I mean it effectively won't do poo poo because you could just have a friend go purchase it for you, or buy it in not a border town, but it might put minds at ease on the federal level.

I think this is how the Netherlands deals with border towns near the German border and the like. They check IDs and everyone is happy other than the German drug 'tourist' (it's not exactly far or a high security border). But like anything else, I'm pretty sure they can just go a little farther into the Netherlands and not get checked, so whatev, its all for show in the end.

veedubfreak posted:

nd this is why our country is slowly slipping down the toilet day by day.
What?

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

The price in other states is already dropping, especially adjacent to legal states, according to people I've spoken with in the industry. If top shelf is going for 240 / oz in Colorado, it's not going to command that much of a premium in other states; maybe a 50% markup (360 / oz). There are some exceptions with states that really detest drug use like Missouri, but generally the price seems to be dropping about 25%. The floor is probably around 2k / lb at wholesale, or about half what it is now. Retail tops should be headed towards about 7 / gram. One of the great things about legalization is that it's significantly reducing the cash flows of cartels. Not to get too excited, but it's surprising to me how much having just two states vote for legalization has affected things.

Also, I found this; it has user reported prices for all the states, and enough data points to where it should be reasonably accurate.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Install Gentoo posted:

There has never been a period in time when there was this much weed being buyable in Washington for all the folks in Portland to use. It is a massive increase in the good quality weed supply (which is a good thing) and the Oregon cops are probably fuming mad about it and their inability to stop it.

I don't think they would be as mad as you think. It's coming from legal sources instead of funding gangs.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi tόra imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/19/marijuana-task-force-give_n_2721084.html

[quote]DENVER -- Marijuana tourism is on the way to Colorado, under a recommendation made Tuesday by a state task force to regulate the drug made legal by voters last year.

But Colorado should erect signs in airports and borders telling visitors they can't take pot home, the task force recommended.

Colorado's marijuana task force was assembled to suggest regulations for pot after voters chose to flout federal drug law and allow its use without a doctor's recommendation. Made up of lawmakers, law enforcement authorities and marijuana activists, the task force agreed Tuesday that the constitutional amendment on marijuana simply says that adults over 21 can use the drug, not just Colorado residents. If lawmakers agree with the recommendation, tourists would be free to buy and smoke marijuana.

"Imposing a residency requirement would almost certainly create a black market for recreational marijuana in the state," said Rep. Dan Pabon, a Denver Democrat who sits on the task force.

Tourists could see purchasing caps though, possibly as low as an eighth of an ounce per transaction.

Afraid that marijuana tourism could open the door for traffickers to load up and take it across state borders for illegal sale, task force members agreed that non-residents should be able to buy only limited amounts, though a specific amount wasn't set.

"Marijuana purchased in Colorado must stay in Colorado," Pabon warned.

"We could attract greater federal scrutiny and displeasure of our neighbors," if marijuana flows across state lines, he said.[quote]

I really don't know how this is going to work out. Acknowledging tourism seems like and interstate commerce problem. I'm hoping that this specific agreement doesn't attract the attention of the feds. Keeping pot in your state, however much it's only on paper, at least seems to keep it a states rights issue. Telling people to come on in, while honest, will probably get a federal legal challenge.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I can't wait to see what kind of signs they come up with for the airport.

"Don't take those trees overseas!"

I wonder if there will be spots you can drop your excess herb before you get on the plane.

RichieWolk
Jun 4, 2004

FUCK UNIONS

UNIONS R4 DRUNKS

FUCK YOU

ChlamydiaJones posted:

I really don't know how this is going to work out. Acknowledging tourism seems like and interstate commerce problem. I'm hoping that this specific agreement doesn't attract the attention of the feds. Keeping pot in your state, however much it's only on paper, at least seems to keep it a states rights issue. Telling people to come on in, while honest, will probably get a federal legal challenge.

The alternative is to say "only residents can buy pot from the store", which will just open up the black market for native resellers. The government obviously won't get any sort of money from illegal transactions, and people are gonna loving buy marijuana anyway (same as they do in texas or illinois) so it's better to advocate the solution that lets them regulate+tax all sales within the state.

They let the cat out of the bag, it's too late to go back now! :unsmigghh:

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Actually, while it seems really dumb, I hope they do post lots of friendly reminders at airports and border crossings. It would really suck to be pulled over just past the Oregon border and get arrested because you genuinely forgot you left your legal weed in your car. Same with getting searched by the TSA etc...

"Entering Oregon, Marijuana illegal in this state"

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

"You can't take it home so come back soon!"

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Someone's going to make a killing on "pot storage" lockers near the borders.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

ChlamydiaJones posted:

I really don't know how this is going to work out. Acknowledging tourism seems like and interstate commerce problem.

I don't see how this counts as interstate commerce. Sounds like regular ol' one-state commerce to me.

I do wonder if Colorado can legally put weed-related things in tourism ads, though...

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

showbiz_liz posted:

I don't see how this counts as interstate commerce. Sounds like regular ol' one-state commerce to me.

I do wonder if Colorado can legally put weed-related things in tourism ads, though...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wickard_v._Filburn

It's a very broad definition.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Gonzales v. Raich is much more germane to the situation and holds that the commerce clause pretty much always applies to federally controlled substances.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Delta-Wye posted:

I think this is how the Netherlands deals with border towns near the German border and the like. They check IDs and everyone is happy other than the German drug 'tourist' (it's not exactly far or a high security border). But like anything else, I'm pretty sure they can just go a little farther into the Netherlands and not get checked, so whatev, its all for show in the end.
What?

I was referring to the buying and selling of politicians and why the US is in such a lovely state right now.

size1one
Jun 24, 2008

I don't want a nation just for me, I want a nation for everyone

Red_Mage posted:

Actually, while it seems really dumb, I hope they do post lots of friendly reminders at airports and border crossings. It would really suck to be pulled over just past the Oregon border and get arrested because you genuinely forgot you left your legal weed in your car. Same with getting searched by the TSA etc...

"Entering Oregon, Marijuana illegal in this state"

In Oregon possessing up to an ounce is at most a $1000 fine. Possessing more than an ounce is illegal in Wa too.

There's only jail time if you are within 1000 feet of a school. There are a few places on the highway that are within 1000ft but they are very small sections. All of them are at least a few miles from the border. That's far enough into Portland that there would be no way to tell if you were coming from Wa or not.

ChlamydiaJones
Sep 27, 2002

My Estonian riding instructor told me; "Mine munni ahvi tόra imeja", and I live by that every day!
Ramrod XTreme

RichieWolk posted:

The alternative is to say "only residents can buy pot from the store", which will just open up the black market for native resellers. The government obviously won't get any sort of money from illegal transactions, and people are gonna loving buy marijuana anyway (same as they do in texas or illinois) so it's better to advocate the solution that lets them regulate+tax all sales within the state.

They let the cat out of the bag, it's too late to go back now! :unsmigghh:

I'd think that any pot that could be sold to non residents would have to be bought (and taxed). Of course that doesn't count the plants you can grow but that isn't generating tax income anyway. Anyway their still putting buy limits for non natives so a person from Utah will just go store to store or buy in bulk off the market. I'm just suggesting that saying "tourism" could easily get the feds thinking about the commerce clause when saying "natives only" might do so a little less. We'll see though because that's the approach!

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
Some new stuff just out about how pot sales will be regulated. The task force has finalized their proposal and it's off to the state legislature.

Seems like Hickenlooper is even more paranoid than the average stoner. Also bolded something hilarious at the end.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/marijuana/amendment-64-task-force-approves-recommendations-concerning-pot-sales-and-taxation

quote:

DENVER - Thursday evening, The Amendment 64 Task Force approved recommendations concerning pot sales in Colorado. The recommendations will next be sent for review by the Colorado legislature.

Lawmakers will get the final say as to how sales should be executed.

While the legislature will have to set the final amounts, the panel agreed marijuana should be taxed more than cigarettes but lower than alcohol.

The group also suggested decisions about when and where marijuana dispensaries can operate may ultimately end up with local governments according to panel members.

Previously, the task force agreed that there should be no ban of sales to out-of-state residents, but suggested limiting how much non-residents could buy at any one time. They also suggested requiring store license applicants to have lived in Colorado for two years.

Governor John Hickenlooper says he expects a decision from federal authorities about the ability of states to sell recreational marijuana. Hickenlooper said he spoke with Attorney General Eric Holder at the inauguration and was told “all hands are on deck,” concerning a resolution to this issue.

"They have an obligation to uphold the law of the land, but at the same time the last thing they want to do is go against the vote of one of their states, a democratic vote of what they think they should be subjected to, " said Hickenlooper.

During the final meeting of the panel, the governor called for caution.

"I'm not saying the sky is falling and we're going to have thousands of homless teenagers we didn't have before, but we will have more," said Hickenlooper.

Part of his plea - to make sure pot is thoroughly regulated - after voters approved amendment 64.

"For some of those kids it's going to make it easier to throw in the towel for a while," he said.

While some proponents question the governor's facts, they acknowledge his concerns, stressing the need for a solid set of rules.

"He's expressing his caution about proceeding. And I think we all agree it's a cautious approach, and that's reflected in the recommendations," said Chris Sederberg, who lead the committee to pass amendment 64.

Among those recommendations:

A special marijuana tax.
New training for law enforcement to detect impaired drivers.
Revising the Colorado Clean Air Act to include the impact of marijuana smoke.
Restricting underage access.

"There are so many issues that are involved in this. But I think the big issues were resolved in this," said Sederberg.

Each of the members of the task force had bags of snacks at their seats, in reference to Hickenlooper's memorable Election Night sound bite: "Don't break out the Cheetos or Goldfish too quickly."

- See more at: http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...h.ibewD7Gv.dpuf

NathanScottPhillips fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 1, 2013

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

NathanScottPhillips posted:

Some new stuff just out about how pot sales will be regulated. The task force has finalized their proposal and it's off to the state legislature.

Seems like Hickenlooper is even more paranoid than the average stoner. Also bolded something hilarious at the end.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/marijuana/amendment-64-task-force-approves-recommendations-concerning-pot-sales-and-taxation

Legal pot will result in more homeless teenagers? What the gently caress? It'll make it easier for them to throw in the towel?

This sounds exactly like someone who has never smoked pot, never known anyone who smoked pot, and never looked a single inch past his stupid stereotypes.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
Clean Air Act? Goddamned do they think this is real?

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
The Colorado Clean Air Act is about smoking cigarettes and cigars in public places, not industrial-scale air pollution.

Its supporters would understandably look to include smoking marijuana in public places as well.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Denzine posted:

The Colorado Clean Air Act is about smoking cigarettes and cigars in public places, not industrial-scale air pollution.

This. I-502 bypassed the need for that by applying all the restrictions of cigarettes and most of the restrictions of alcohol to weed. Its pretty fair all things considered, no one should have to breathe in smoke they don't want to.

As to the homeless thing, I think he means that the legalization of weed is going to attract more homeless or transient youth to Colorado, not that it will make more youth from Colorado transient or homeless. I assume he has less to worry about than he thinks given that they are all already in Portland and Vancouver is right there.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Warchicken posted:

Legal pot will result in more homeless teenagers?

That's just bizarre. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was still unlawful for minors to be in possession of cannabis. It was unlawful before and still is!

NathanScottPhillips
Jul 23, 2009
New stuff about retail licensing. More restrictive than we were all probably hoping for but that's to be expected with a substance that has been under prohibition for nearly a decade.

http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_22689447/tax-legal-issues-tap-at-last-colorado-marijuana

quote:

What Colorado will look like with legal marijuana became significantly clearer Thursday when the state task force proposing rules for that new world finished its work.

Under proposals endorsed by the Amendment 64 Implementation Task Force, recreational marijuana in Colorado would be heavily taxed. It would be grown only indoors. It would not be allowed to be smoked at bars, restaurants or even social clubs. It could be sold to people visiting from out of state, though. It could be given away to adults an ounce at a time but not in pot-for-donation swaps. Its sale would be watched over by a small army of state regulators.

During 80 days of poking and pulling at roughly 100 issues affected by marijuana legalization, the task force endorsed dozens of new policies on such topics as criminal enforcement, taxes, child protection and product labeling. Taken together, the recommendations represent a comprehensive set of ideas to regulate a recreational-marijuana regime unlike any in history.

The recommendations will now be put to state lawmakers, who will fashion them into a bill and then debate the issues anew.
"The first thing I have to say is, 'Thank you,' " Gov. John Hickenlooper told task-force members Thursday during a visit to their meeting.

Hardly a benedictory session, Thursday's meeting was more of a last-second cram for the task force to get through its work. During a five-hour hearing, the task force considered proposals on funding, changes to criminal laws and labeling of serving sizes in marijuana-infused goodies.

Tax discussions, particularly, stood out.

The task force recommended that Colorado lawmakers refer to voters two ballot measures on marijuana taxes. One would impose a 15 percent excise tax on recreational marijuana — a rate that could increase over time — that stores would have to pay at the wholesale level. The other would create a special marijuana sales tax that customers would pay. Though the task force did not endorse a specific amount for the sales tax, it gave a 25 percent rate as an example.

Recreational marijuana would also be subject to standard state and local sales taxes.

The taxes — if the legislature puts them before voters and they are approved — could add several dollars to the average pot purchase of one-eighth of an ounce.

Supporters of the taxing proposals, including Department of Revenue Executive Director Barbara Brohl, said the money is needed to regulate marijuana stores. Brohl, whose department oversees medical-marijuana businesses, said a lack of money has hindered regulation of that industry.

"The funding model just didn't work," Brohl said. "And as a result, the division wasn't able to perform the regulatory and oversight functions it was created to do."

Opponents of the taxing proposals said that imposing too high of a rate will keep marijuana sellers in the black market.
The task force's work rubbed some marijuana advocates the wrong way.

"I feel like so much time has been spent on flat-earth concerns that we've missed the boat to the new world," said medical-marijuana business owner Jessica LeRoux, who said overregulation of recreational marijuana will allow the black market to continue to flourish.

Meanwhile, Hickenlooper — while complimentary of the task force's effort — was hardly upbeat about the future of Colorado with legal marijuana. During his brief remarks to the task force, for instance, he predicted that the state would see more homeless teenagers because of marijuana.

"I think that world is going to have consequences that, no matter how thoughtful we are, we will not be able to anticipate," he said. "But I'm not saying the sky is falling. ... Obviously, we have to be pragmatic."

Denzine posted:

Maybe that's what they meant but that act is the Colorado Clean Indoor Air Act. We have many Clean Air Acts here.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/05/dea-marijuana_n_2810347.html

quote:

CHICAGO -- Eight former U.S. drug chiefs warned the federal government Tuesday that time is running out to nullify Colorado and Washington's new laws legalizing recreational marijuana use, and a United Nations agency also urged challenges to the measures it says violate international treaties.

The former Drug Enforcement Administration chiefs criticized Barack Obama's administration for moving too slowly to file a lawsuit that would force the states to rescind the legislation. Marijuana is illegal under federal law.

"My fear is that the Justice Department will do what they are doing now: do nothing and say nothing," former DEA administrator Peter Bensinger told The Associated Press in an interview Monday. "If they don't act now, these laws will be fully implemented in a matter of months."

Bensinger, who lives in the Chicago area, said if the federal government doesn't immediately sue the states it'll risk creating "a domino effect" in which other states legalize marijuana too.

The statement from the DEA chiefs came the same day the International Narcotics Control Board, a U.N. agency, made its appeal in an annual drug report, calling on federal officials to act to "ensure full compliance with the international drug control treaties on its entire territory."

But Brian Vicente, co-author of the Colorado pot legalization law, said a handful of North American countries have expressed support for legalization.

"You have two states revolting and they're saying it doesn't work in their state and their community and it sends a strong message globally," he said.

A lawyer who led Washington's legalization campaign said the focus should be on reconciling the Colorado and Washington votes with federal law and treaty obligations.

"Ultimately, we do need to see these laws and treaties change," Alison Holcomb said Tuesday. "We're not going to get resolution overnight."

U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder told a meeting of state attorneys general last week that he is still reviewing the laws but that his review is winding down. Asked Monday for a comment on the criticism from the former DEA administrators, Holder spokeswoman Allison Price would only say, "The Department of Justice is in the process of reviewing those initiatives."

The department's review has been under way since shortly after last fall's elections. It could sue to block the states from issuing licenses to marijuana growers, processors and retail stores, on the grounds that doing so conflicts with federal drug law. Alternatively, Holder could decide not to mount a court challenge.

The ex-DEA heads are issuing the statements through the Florida-based Save Our Society from Drugs. One of its spokesmen is based in Chicago.

The former DEA administrators are Bensinger, John Bartels, Robert Bonner, Thomas Constantine, Asa Hutchinson, John Lawn, Donnie Marshall and Francis Mullen. They served for both Republican and Democratic administrations.

Holder is scheduled to appear Wednesday before a U.S. Senate judiciary committee hearing. The former DEA chiefs want senators to question Holder on the legalization issue.

Advocates of legalization have welcomed Colorado and Washington's new laws, arguing that criminalizing drugs creates serious though unintended social problems. The ex-DEA heads say they disagree with that view.

After votes last fall, Colorado and Washington became the first states to legalize marijuana's recreational use – putting federal authorities in a quandary over how, or whether, to respond.

Washington state officials responsible for creating a regulated marijuana system have said they are moving forward with a timetable of issuing producer licenses by August.

Bensinger – who served as DEA administrator under Presidents Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan – said the supremacy of federal law over state law when it comes to drug laws isn't in doubt.

"This is a no-brainer," he said. "It is outrageous that a lawsuit hasn't been filed in federal court yet."

Advocates of less stringent drug laws criticized the ex-DEA heads later Tuesday.

Ethan Nadelmann, executive director of the New York-based Drug Policy Alliance, said the eight are destined to share the legacy of agents who enforced alcohol prohibition before that policy was deemed a failure and reversed in 1933.

"The former DEA chiefs' statement can best be seen as a self-interested plea to validate the costly and failed policies they championed but that Americans are now rejecting at the ballot box," Nadelmann said.

___

AP Writers P. Solomon Banda in Denver and Gene Johnson in Seattle also contributed to this report.

Predictable but disheartening.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

quote:

But Brian Vicente, co-author of the Colorado pot legalization law, said a handful of North American countries have expressed support for legalization.

A "handful" of North American countries? So... Mexico, Canada, and not the US? And the US? There aren't exactly a lot to choose from.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Delta-Wye posted:

A "handful" of North American countries? So... Mexico, Canada, and not the US? And the US? There aren't exactly a lot to choose from.

I think you should probably look at a map or something.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Delta-Wye posted:

You don't actually know where North America starts do you?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Red_Mage posted:

You don't actually know where North America starts do you?

Just above South America.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

MacheteZombie posted:

Just above South America.

That would be Central America.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Radbot posted:

Which would be North America.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Radbot posted:

As you can see, there are 6 continents on the official map. Antarctica isn't listed because no one lives there. You can plainly see that the region you refer to is yellow, and thus in North America.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Delta-Wye posted:

North America: Wait, there is stuff under Mexico?

It is pretty obvious that the former DEA heads are going to whine and cry until Obama does something.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Delta-Wye posted:

For posterity:
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Costa Rica
  • Cuba
  • Dominica
  • Dominican Republic
  • El Salvador
  • Grenada
  • Guatemala
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Jamaica
  • Mexico
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United States

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007

Twiin posted:

For posterity:
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Bahamas
  • Barbados
  • Belize
  • Canada
  • Costa Rica
  • Cuba
  • Dominica
  • Dominican Republic
  • El Salvador
  • Grenada
  • Guatemala
  • Haiti
  • Honduras
  • Jamaica
  • Mexico
  • Nicaragua
  • Panama
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Saint Lucia
  • Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • United States

You missed the UK, France, Denmark, and the Netherlands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Red_Mage posted:

You missed the UK, France, Denmark, and the Netherlands.

Being in possession of North America territory doesn't make you a North American country.

• Locked thread