Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Leal posted:

No that is actually after cooking it. Guess I should of cooked longer then.

should have

could have

Seriously, look into a pizza stone of some kind so you can get it nice and hot and crispy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Leal, it looks like you do need to stretch your dough out thinner. Kneading it for just five minutes sounds short for hand kneading too, kneading it longer to develop the gluten will help you be able to stretch it out more thinly without tearing.

And as mentioned already, a pizza stone or something like that would help a lot, as well as baking it as hot as your oven goes. With thinner dough and hotter temps you shouldn't need to bake it longer, it may actually even take less time.

Try this recipe, the overnight rest will help with the flavor as well as help develop gluten: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/001199.html

Stalizard
Aug 11, 2006

Have I got a headache!
If you don't have a pizza stone it's alright, roll the dough out as thin as you can and cook it at the hottest temperature your oven will go.

I did a little research into Pizza some months ago and frankly it's as complicated as you want to make it. Judging by the pizza you posted, and I mean no offense, but you have nowhere to go but up. Hotter oven, thinner crust, practice makes perfect. Don't feel discouraged if your first few wind up as lessons well learned instead of tasty dinners. Be brave, let it sit in there until it gets some color on top. Let it go brown, let some small parts of cheese start to turn black. If your oven has a light, great, if not, set a timer and keep your eye on it, but don't open the door too often.

You'll have great pizza in no time. Be sure to post pics of any progress you make, I'm still trying to figure out some things myself.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I made great pizza without a stone or kneading using the King Arthur recipe which I now can't find. It was probably the no knead one.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
So my Mother has taken to roasting chickens (Which I like), boiling up the carcasses for stock (Which I am in favour of) and making homogenised vegetable soups from them (Which I have grown quite tired of). Bearing in mind that my family have boring tastes, what would be a good way to make use of this stock that is not potatoes/carrots/onions blended in the stock?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

therattle posted:

I made great pizza without a stone or kneading using the King Arthur recipe which I now can't find. It was probably the no knead one.

This one?

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-pizza-crust-recipe

I'm planning to make pizza this weekend so all this info is greatly appreciated.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ynohtna posted:

This one?

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/no-knead-pizza-crust-recipe

I'm planning to make pizza this weekend so all this info is greatly appreciated.

Yeah, I think so but without the fibre. I can't remember the great tip for rolling out. Place the dough between two sheets of greaseproof paper?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

A jargogle posted:

So my Mother has taken to roasting chickens (Which I like), boiling up the carcasses for stock (Which I am in favour of) and making homogenised vegetable soups from them (Which I have grown quite tired of). Bearing in mind that my family have boring tastes, what would be a good way to make use of this stock that is not potatoes/carrots/onions blended in the stock?

I make a sorta half-rear end risotto with old veggie and / or chicken stock. Usually I just saute up some onions and celery, then mushrooms and garlic. At the same time bring some rice to boil in your stock, then combine the veggies and let finish cooking down until desired dryness. Add in a little cream and some parmesan, top with any other herbs you might have, usually I will add in a little oregano or rosemary.

It makes a decent cheap side dish that isn't homogeneous vegetable soup x.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I've noticed a lot of stalls here selling saffron. I've never used the stuff myself, but I love saffron rice, and I bought a bag of really lovely basmati in the local market yesterday. Spices in general are very cheap here, so I'm thinking this might be my chance to buy saffron at something approaching a reasonable price.

How shelf stable is it? They sell it by the scoop as far as I can tell, and I don't know how long it will last without getting stale.

Saffron rice is just basmati rice cooked with flavorful broth and a few saffron threads, right?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

With rolling the pizza dough, I think letting it rest for a good while in the fridge after kneading and growing will help out a bit too. A longer rest will make it easier to shape. Let it rest and don't re-knead it or work it too hard since that will make it tough again. Try to form it out with as little work as possible.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RazorBunny posted:

I've noticed a lot of stalls here selling saffron. I've never used the stuff myself, but I love saffron rice, and I bought a bag of really lovely basmati in the local market yesterday. Spices in general are very cheap here, so I'm thinking this might be my chance to buy saffron at something approaching a reasonable price.

How shelf stable is it? They sell it by the scoop as far as I can tell, and I don't know how long it will last without getting stale.

Saffron rice is just basmati rice cooked with flavorful broth and a few saffron threads, right?

Juat make sure you don't get ripped off I like was in Budapest and get sold dried safflower instead of actual saffron

This is safflower:

it's a lot bigger and coarser than saffron and has pretty limited uses.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it's sold by the scoop, I would tend to doubt it's real saffron.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah. Real saffron is gently caress-off expensive. ONE GRAM of the stuff can easily go for $6 - $8. Not ounce. Gram.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
I had an amazing roasted sweet potato soup at a restaurant, creamy, smooth, delightful with a touch of cream (or creme fraiche?) on the top.

Anyone have a tried-and-true recipe to make such a thing at home? I am afraid of Bad Internet Recipes.

EVG fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Mar 7, 2013

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

dino. posted:

Yeah. Real saffron is gently caress-off expensive. ONE GRAM of the stuff can easily go for $6 - $8. Not ounce. Gram.

I remember doing a mussels recipe that called for it and being confused why the gently caress a random spice was like $15.

also I do know that Spanish Saffron = Safflower!

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
re: cleaning

What's the best way to periodically sanitize your kitchen surfaces? After working with meat I'll usually hit the counter surfaces with Clorox wipes since my girlfriend had a shitload of them left after her last job. It seems like a lot of waste, though.

Would mixing up some bleach water, spraying everything down, and then wiping it all down with a clean towel leave me with a sanitized, safe-to-eat-off-of surface? (edit: I'm also reading that it might even be fine to just spray everything down and let it air-dry?) Is there a baller household cleaner I should know about and use instead?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
A question about making a desert. I like to make a simple kind of sorbet (I'm guessing that's the right term) where I take frozen fruit and some heavy cream and whip it all together in a food processor until it's pulverized and well blended. I've done this with all manner of berries, and peaches, and whatever. I wanted to do it with pineapple, but a thought occurred to me. Doesn't acid cause diary to curdle?

It's not an expensive product if I mess it up, but I'd really rather not screw it up all the same. If it would cause it to curdle, are there other things I could add to the mix to prevent that?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

dakana posted:

What's the best way to periodically sanitize your kitchen surfaces? After working with meat I'll usually hit the counter surfaces with Clorox wipes since my girlfriend had a shitload of them left after her last job. It seems like a lot of waste, though.

Would mixing up some bleach water, spraying everything down, and then wiping it all down with a clean towel leave me with a sanitized, safe-to-eat-off-of surface? (edit: I'm also reading that it might even be fine to just spray everything down and let it air-dry?) Is there a baller household cleaner I should know about and use instead?

Vodka. Undiluted.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
I have onions and pork belly. I need a dinner made from this.

I'd like to caramelize the onions. All the recipes I've found have been just pork belly on a bed of onions which seems a little boring.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright day 2 of making pizza, let me begin by saying I'm loving terrible with working dough. I kept adding water and flour cause the dough would be this slimy glob or this completely dry ball that has terrible dandruff. Thanks mom for finally stepping in and making the dough for me :unsmith:

However such gently caress ups made so much extra dough that I made 2 pizzas this time. Ingredients are the same as my last attempt. For the first pizza I covered the entire pan with olive oil as my family suggested that may heat up the crust and make it more crispy, also my oven's max is 550 F which I cooked the first for a little under 10 minutes:

It is probably hard to see at this angle, but the crust was a bit hosed here. One half of the pizza was low, the other puffed up for like a solid inch of crust. I don't know how, I rolled the dough evenly before cooking :psyduck: Also while the outer edges look brown and crispy, pretty much past the edge the crust was soft.

Here is number 2, this time again my mom stepped in after seeing how frusted I was getting flattening the dough (have I mentioned I'm loving terrible with working dough?) and she certainly flattened this thing up for me. I didn't put any olive oil on the pan this time cause it didn't seem to make a difference for the last pizza.

If you're wondering what the hell that white stuff is its ricotta due to someone's earlier suggestion; I would of added more but my brother wanted some and I don't know if he'd like it so only my half got it :v:. Pizza was pretty much even throughout, no hosed up geography of this pie. Again though, after the outer edges the crust would then go soft. When I pick up a slice I want it to be straight out like an erect member, not :flaccid: like what currently happens.

Again, probably cook time. Next time I cook a pie I'm going to look under it before cutting it and if it looks like bread I'm tossing it back inside. As for people suggesting a stone, I am extremely poor. I'm unemployed, I'm living off the kidness of my folks (and they themselves aren't well off) and I literally collect cans and bottles (as well as my remaining tax refund) to get myself food that isn't the ramen my parents will provide me with. I can't justify buying a pizza stone right now.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Leal posted:

I can't justify buying a pizza stone right now.

You can get a pizza stone on the dirt loving cheap by getting an unglazed stone tile from a home improvement store. I don't recall the best sort to use, but that's what basically everybody recommends for both quality and price.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Dude! Awesome work! Already your pizzas are looking better. Seriously keep trying.

Don't worry about not having a pizza stone right now. Leave your pan in there to heat up with the oven, as long as it doesn't warp in the heat. If you don't have a peel, you can use the back of another baking sheet dusted with cornmeal - roll out your dough, set it on the cornmeal-covered pan back (give it a sharp shake right after, and then periodically as you top it, to keep it from sticking), then use that to slide it on top of your hot baking sheet.

You don't need to cover your baking surface with oil - you want your pizza to be crunchy on the bottom, not crispy as in fried. Good job on trying this time at 550 - that's where you'll want to leave it from this point forward.

Try rolling your dough out a little bit thinner, and that should help, as should just plain cooking it longer (you can go longer yet, trust me). If you STILL can't get your dough how you like it, it's totally okay to parbake it a little bit, take it out and top it, then bake it some more until your cheese is brown and bubbly.

The important bit is to keep trying!

Also, are you cutting your pizza on top of your metal pan? Don't do that.

NinjaDebugger posted:

You can get a pizza stone on the dirt loving cheap by getting an unglazed stone tile from a home improvement store. I don't recall the best sort to use, but that's what basically everybody recommends for both quality and price.

So tired of this advice. These aren't that easy to find, not every home depot or lowe's actually carries this poo poo. Thanks Alton Brown, but it's not that simple.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

NinjaDebugger posted:

No loving way? Wow, alright my parents work with a merchandising company (That I also used to work till.. things happened) and someone high up in 7-11 says he has a hell of a lot of unglazed tiles we can have for free. I'll just tell my mom to add another foot by foot measurement for the tiles.

mediaphage posted:

Also, are you cutting your pizza on top of your metal pan? Don't do that.

Nope, not doing that. My mom set me straight on never cutting things on the pans, I take them off and set them on some tinfoil to cut them up. I do still have a glob of dough leftover, so definitely gonna try again tomorrow and cook a bit longer. I guess I'm just terrified of burning things so I pull them out quick without a second thought.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

mediaphage posted:

So tired of this advice. These aren't that easy to find, not every home depot or lowe's actually carries this poo poo. Thanks Alton Brown, but it's not that simple.

Leal posted:

No loving way? Wow, alright my parents work with a merchandising company (That I also used to work till.. things happened) and someone high up in 7-11 says he has a hell of a lot of unglazed tiles we can have for free. I'll just tell my mom to add another foot by foot measurement for the tiles.

Sometimes it really is that simple. They may have to do some looking around to find a place that actually has it, but the advice is always worth giving.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

dakana posted:

Bleach water is best, use 5% bleach. You can really just clean with soap and water after most usage and use the bleach when you're particularly worried or spilled a lot of raw meat stuff about.

You can just let it air dry too but might be best to give it a once over just with water after and then dry if food is going to touch the surface soon after. There's other good cleaners but this is cheap and works fine. I'm a microbiologist for a living so this is something I am least useful for with advice.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
couldn't you always do it in a cast iron if you don't have a stone?? Or is that deep dish only?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Breaky posted:

Bleach water is best, use 5% bleach. You can really just clean with soap and water after most usage and use the bleach when you're particularly worried or spilled a lot of raw meat stuff about.

You can just let it air dry too but might be best to give it a once over just with water after and then dry if food is going to touch the surface soon after. There's other good cleaners but this is cheap and works fine. I'm a microbiologist for a living so this is something I am least useful for with advice.

Yeh, most people don't realize that air dry is really Ok if there's a while between food applications; pathogens can't live on cold, hard surfaces.

Also, I was under the impression those Clorox wipes were part bleach too? Is there any reason to ever NOT use one?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

THE MACHO MAN posted:

couldn't you always do it in a cast iron if you don't have a stone?? Or is that deep dish only?

You can flip the cast iron and use the bottom, much easier to get the pizza off.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Also, deep dish is awesome. If you have a good cast iron pan, make some deep dish pizza.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Saint Darwin posted:

Yeh, most people don't realize that air dry is really Ok if there's a while between food applications; pathogens can't live on cold, hard surfaces.
No, they can. Different pathogens remain viable for different lengths of time on dry surfaces---Campylobacter numbers drop to undetectable levels in a few hours, but Salmonella can survive for days (citation link to PubMed, there are other studies that offer different numbers but similar conclusions). The punchline being that you can't rely on it for food safety.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

SubG posted:

No, they can. Different pathogens remain viable for different lengths of time on dry surfaces---Campylobacter numbers drop to undetectable levels in a few hours, but Salmonella can survive for days (citation link to PubMed, there are other studies that offer different numbers but similar conclusions). The punchline being that you can't rely on it for food safety.

Well I'll be damned.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Hmm. I'll definitely investigate further before buying anything, then. It did seem a little too good to be true, but like I said most spices are crazy cheap here, so it seemed possible that saffron would be as well.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

RazorBunny posted:

Hmm. I'll definitely investigate further before buying anything, then. It did seem a little too good to be true, but like I said most spices are crazy cheap here, so it seemed possible that saffron would be as well.

When I was at the spice souk in Dubai they sold saffron by the huge handful pinch, and it was real saffron.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Hey all, anyone got any nice recipes which feature fresh turmeric as a central flavour?

I've googled a bit but all I keep finding are sites talking about how it's a wonderfood that will cure every disease under the sun. I want to make tasty curries dammit!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

The fresh version is very hard to find, most recipes call for powdered. It's similar to fresh ginger, so I would probably handle it that way.

And yes, it supposedly has impressive anti-inflammatory properties.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

Also, I was under the impression those Clorox wipes were part bleach too? Is there any reason to ever NOT use one?

Clorox wipes are fine for using, they just cost more in the end than making your own 5% bleach solution.

As for air dry I meant letting the bleach spray / wipedown air dry as opposed to rinsing it soon after.

If you weren't going to use food on that surface right away again, you can just bleach and wipe. If you're going to use food again there that day, bleach, wipe, rinse with water, wipe, dry.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Pookah posted:

Hey all, anyone got any nice recipes which feature fresh turmeric as a central flavour?

I've googled a bit but all I keep finding are sites talking about how it's a wonderfood that will cure every disease under the sun. I want to make tasty curries dammit!

Make any kind of Burmese curry that you can get your hands on. They tend not to use too many spices. Their main flavourings are shallots, ginger, garlic, and turmeric. Lots and lots of turmeric.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SubG posted:

This was one of the things we worked on in college with various coliforms; they last a lot longer than anyone ever suspects.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Anyone know much about sake? I tried some warm the other night and it was really a great treat. I have no idea what to look for in a decent bottle to keep around the house.

VV Thanks for that, didn't run across it when I first looked.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Anyone know much about sake? I tried some warm the other night and it was really a great treat. I have no idea what to look for in a decent bottle to keep around the house.

i'd give the sake thread a shot if I were you

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3502819