Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jut posted:

No I understand perfectly, IAP's make more money. But I was hoping there would be a pocket SimCity style game which was an upfront cost.

Yeah you're just going to end up disappointed. Those types of games lend themselves perfectly to horrible energy bar and wait time mechanics so no one's bothered to make a decent version of SimCity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Wouldn't it be something if they actually made SimCity for iOS?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

marshmonkey posted:

Wouldn't it be something if they actually made SimCity for iOS?

It sure would! It's too bad all that's currently on the app store is a pile of poo poo with a brand name on it.

nene.
Aug 27, 2009

power
ARRRGGH!!!! Final Fantasy: All The Bravest won't let me post to Facebook OR Twitter!!! You need to do it to get all 40 party slots but it won't let me and just says an error and I'm getting frustrated. Has anyone else had this problem?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Fallom posted:

It sure would! It's too bad all that's currently on the app store is a pile of poo poo with a brand name on it.

I didn't think the IOS version of SimCity (the ipad version anyway) was all that bad? It's deffo worth a look next time they have their 95% of the catalogue 99c/69p sales.

http://appshopper.com/games/virtual-city-hd is reasonably decent, not quite a city builder but it has you making production chains. Don't confuse it with the freemium version that has the energy mechanics, they also have a pay up front to get the whole game version as well like I linked. Look for the ones that say (Full) in the description of that companies business "sim" games.

-------

Anyone taken a look at http://appshopper.com/games/dungeon-plunder yet? It looks quite interesting and I'll probably throw some coins at it tomorrow anyway but early adopters views are always appreciated.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Mar 6, 2013

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

nene. posted:

ARRRGGH!!!! Final Fantasy: All The Bravest won't let me post to Facebook OR Twitter!!! You need to do it to get all 40 party slots but it won't let me and just says an error and I'm getting frustrated. Has anyone else had this problem?
The problem was you bought All The Bravest.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
What ever happened to M&M:CoH? There seemed to be a lot of enthusiasm at first, but then it went silent. Still a good purchase?

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
From everything I've read, All the Bravest is basically just Square Enix taking a poo poo in your mouth and demanding you pay for it, so I'm not surprised to hear that that things don't work in addition to it being chock full of terrible ideas and barely qualifying as a game.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I think the general consensus was good game, bad port, worse controls. I still managed to play all the way through despite that, and I think it's had an update since then which might have helped?

edit: that's about Might and Magic not All the Bravest

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

nene. posted:

My condolences for wasting money on that lovely game and reinforcing SE's bad behavior.

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the

Geburan posted:

What ever happened to M&M:CoH? There seemed to be a lot of enthusiasm at first, but then it went silent. Still a good purchase?

The newest update renders the game completely unplayable for me, and at least a few other people; All the unit sprites are missing or rendered as black boxes. Not sure when they'll make another update to fix it. The gameplay is a lot of fun, but almost every scene change requires a lengthy loading screen (I'm on an iphone 4), making getting to the fun kind of tedious.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

MrSamurai posted:

The newest update renders the game completely unplayable for me, and at least a few other people; All the unit sprites are missing or rendered as black boxes. Not sure when they'll make another update to fix it. The gameplay is a lot of fun, but almost every scene change requires a lengthy loading screen (I'm on an iphone 4), making getting to the fun kind of tedious.

Using an iPad mini here. Works fine and my load screens aren't terribly long. I think the controls are fine too once you get used to hold, drag, drop. The most recent update really screwed up the unit sprites and added lag to the battle scenes(doesn't happen during the puzzles). It's almost as if they took mini sprites, stretched them and saved them. Doesn't make it unplayable but makes it drat annoying. I'd personally wait until they push an update, then ask about the update before making a purchase.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
The multiplayer in COH is also very very glitchy. I think it's a solid buy for iPad, but not for a phone or touch.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
Thanks, I'll hold off until patch or price drop.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Geburan posted:

It was pretty good but had a bunch of problems. The interview that the devs did with Pocket Tactics didn't leave me with much hope for an update anytime soon.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Jones On Fire is both awesome and adorable. Bought the kitty doubler almost straight away, I'll play a tonne more tomorrow.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Just got Jones On Fire :australia:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Way late to the party but: it takes while to get going and the puzzles never really reach "frustating/impossible/gently caress-it-loading-up-gamefaqs" but man Ghost Trick is really loving good.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Jones On Fire is both awesome and adorable. Bought the kitty doubler almost straight away, I'll play a tonne more tomorrow.
:love:

Glad folks are digging it :3:

EDIT: I need to stop being a stingy bastard and just buy Ghost Trick. Loved the first chapter, just haven't ever gotten back to it.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Mar 7, 2013

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ghost Trick has the best dog character ever.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Jones on Fire is great. Just popping in to say that, now I'm gonna go save some more kitties.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Ghost Trick. Can anyone tell me how much it inflates by when you buy the unlock? I've got the 16GB iPad Mini and it's a constant juggling act for space; it was good with The Walking Dead that each episode could be installed individually as they were played through.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Way late to the party but: it takes while to get going and the puzzles never really reach "frustating/impossible/gently caress-it-loading-up-gamefaqs" but man Ghost Trick is really loving good.

Hmm, I got stuck within the "demo" portion and had to look it up, turned out the game had misled me unless I was completely missing a different solution.

In the puzzle in the flat where you had to lead the girl under the sofa, specifically handling the wobbly donut/rat/cupboard door catapult. First time through I "used up" the donut on the left hand side of the flat and hit the rat with the cupboard under the fish tank. At that point it achieved nothing but the game said something like "there must be another way to get her under there". I must've spent over an hour going through every combination of actions on everything that was left (repeating my actions up to that point each time) before I gave up and looked at GameFAQs, where I found I should actually have done that on the other side of the flat. Was there a different solution possible from the point I'd got to? Or was I chasing a red herring?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Doesn't download anything when you unlock it, all the data's already there.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
I just noticed something for Ghost Trick, it looks like if you hold down on the screen, you can fast forward through some dialog. Never noticed that while playing through the game, but that would probably be useful when you're retrying puzzles and want to skip the dialog.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Geburan posted:

It's buggy and frequently crashes; it takes a huge amount of space; it has control issues where it's hard to get it to recognize the command you're giving it instead of it doing something completely different and wasting your time / losing your battle; and there's a battle early in the Demon realms that's completly stacked against you but you can't do anything except play it over and over and over and over and over until you get past it.

Other than that, it's pretty fun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress you Demon players with Celerity Ring! (that's my gimmick and I'm sticking to it!)

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Eschers Basement posted:

there's a battle early in the Demon realms that's completly stacked against you but you can't do anything except play it over and over and over and over and over until you get past it.

:raise: Which battle is this? The demon realm for me is one of the quickest stories I go through.

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice
Really loving Jones on Fire. Bought the doubler almost immediately. It's definitely a game that plays better than what the pictures show (not to say it looks bad, just didn't quite understand what it was I was seeing). Between this and Punch Quest I'm so addicted to these endless runners :(

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
Oh jeeze, I still haven't gotten all the idols in Punch Quest, and along comes another goon endless runner game. An endless goon runner game?

On one hand, I probably shouldn't complain about the plethora of games to play on the platform. On the other hand, it's like I get halfway done with one before two more I want to play show up. It's like a goddamn hydra, but with games instead of heads!

Actually, one of the things I'm liking about Jones on Fire is the distinct stagey feel of it. Slightly less "endless".

OMGzKakaniz
Mar 13, 2007

up-and coming pokemon trainer

:love: Justice

Axiem posted:

Actually, one of the things I'm liking about Jones on Fire is the distinct stagey feel of it. Slightly less "endless".
Yeah this really seems to add something that has me wanting to play more. Trying to get further and further. Any future plans to expand the leader boards to see things like Hazard levels?

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Fazana posted:

Anyone taken a look at http://appshopper.com/games/dungeon-plunder yet? It looks quite interesting and I'll probably throw some coins at it tomorrow anyway but early adopters views are always appreciated.

I like it, it's like video poker meets a roguelike, peramdeath with carried over gold and runes you unlock for success each run that give permanent boosts to all characters.

Pretty simple gameplay but, I won't regret dropping 2$

Thanks for the link.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

nene. posted:

Man don't bother. I finished that dumb game and can't believe I wasted $4 on it when some legitimately good , 30 hour FF games are $6-$10 on PSN

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Jones On Fire - good game, very cute. Crashed once when i hit next while waiting for the high scores to load from the internet. Seems pretty solid, except for purchasable IAP set at $3 for a doubler and $5 for a life extender? These seem above the going rate for these types of IAP for other games, which is immediately jarring. I love doublers and I usually buy them, but these put me off. I'd probably recommend $1 for the doubler and maybe two $1 tier bumps for the extra lives?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

ahmeni posted:

Jones On Fire - good game, very cute. Crashed once when i hit next while waiting for the high scores to load from the internet. Seems pretty solid, except for purchasable IAP set at $3 for a doubler and $5 for a life extender? These seem above the going rate for these types of IAP for other games, which is immediately jarring. I love doublers and I usually buy them, but these put me off. I'd probably recommend $1 for the doubler and maybe two $1 tier bumps for the extra lives?

$3 is rapidly becoming standard for doublers.

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

Jones on Fire: The game consistently crashes when it tries to load the high scores, which sucks because the game seems fun otherwise.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Bummey posted:

$3 is rapidly becoming standard for doublers.

It was $1 for Punch Quest and Pixel People?

e: and I want to say pocket planes too but I'm not sure they had one?

Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.
Coin doubler? Jetpack Joyride also had that for a buck.

Al Baron fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Mar 7, 2013

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

After somebody's suggestion to play Pinball Arcade for iphone instead of Zen Pinball I'm completely shocked how much better Pinball Arcade feels :stare:

Despite the real tables not having as much content and various minigames as Zen (from those that I tried) and not being Star Wars or Avengers themed (which is something that adds entertainment value for me) - the real physics make the game so much more satisfying.

I wouldn't think I need Even-more-realistic-physics!™ in my pinball but the flippers have this kick to them and I have so much more control over the ball and even hitting a basic target is more fun than completing a complex minigame in Zen - thanks to real acceleration and notable ball weight. It's like comparing an FPS with really satisfying gun handling with one that only lets you place crosshairs on a target and plays pew-pew sounds. Also it looks like Pinball Arcade found a way better camera angle for potrait playing.

I still need to find a really cool IAP table (although the one that comes with the game is pretty sweet) but there's also the benefit that Pinball Arcade offers a free demo mode of every table so you can actually download and try each of them before buying - so I'm slowly going through all of them.

My ideal pinball game would have Zen Star Wars tables with Pinball Arcade physics but if I were to choose one - Pinball Arcade is a whole class better even if the tables aren't as rich.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Mar 7, 2013

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Play the twilight zone or Star Trek tng table then say the real tables are dull. I never found the zen pinball tables all that cool since having a guy walk around the table isn't that cool in the end. All the zen tables are ramp ramp ramp too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CupNoodleKing
Feb 17, 2011

I haven't played or purchased a lot of the newer tables but I absolutely love Medieval Madness and Theatre of Magic.

• Locked thread