Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well then they'd have to make a Dr Dinosaur one with a button that makes him scream "CRYSTALS!!"

And a Tesla Labs playset, naturally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

IronSaber posted:

And a Tesla Labs playset, naturally.

And a Carl Sagan action figure. That's just a given.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Surely if anyone's going to have kung-fu grip it's Jenkins.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

My Lovely Horse posted:

Surely if anyone's going to have kung-fu grip it's Jenkins.

No, upon opening the box, the Jenkins figure rips your goddamn head off.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Well then they'd have to make a Dr Dinosaur one with a button that makes him scream "CRYSTALS!!"
and another one that gives a 5 minutes rant about mammal treachery.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

No, upon opening the box, the Jenkins figure rips your goddamn head off.
Collector's Item then, is it?

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

Anybody want to buy a Dr. Dinosaur figure? One of the fingers broke off but I glued it back on and you can hardly tell.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

space pope posted:

Anybody want to buy a Dr. Dinosaur figure? One of the fingers broke off but I glued it back on and you can hardly tell.

Color me intrigued. How much?

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Oh nice. New Atomic Robo comic today! I still have plenty to read through but good to know that there is still new material coming.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Torabi posted:

Oh nice. New Atomic Robo comic today! I still have plenty to read through but good to know that there is still new material coming.

Whaaaat? Why isn't it on Comixology?

Ah, it's not on Same Day as Print because it's not a print comic!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Here's the link for everyone else.

It was fun to experiment with art assets, panel progression, and dialog all under a new set of assumptions that had nothing to do with a static page. We erred on the side of only doing non-standard stuff where it made sense to. I think a big stumbling block for some of these *~amazing digital comics technologies~* is that it's a very slippery slope. It's super easy to go overboard and become gimmicky. Hopefully we didn't.

gogisha
Sep 16, 2006

Takin' it slow at the speed of light.
I thought it turned out pretty cool actually. I don't know if this is where comics are heading etc etc but it made things seem more dynamic but not as cheesy as a lot of motion comics are. Plus the fight was pretty hilarious, and now I'm sad that they're turning that factory into some fancy housing complex instead of a crazy research facility.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

gogisha posted:

I thought it turned out pretty cool actually. I don't know if this is where comics are heading etc etc
Yeah, definitely not.

I mean, yes, we'll see some comics made specifically for that format like ours was. But that's not going to replace static pages any time soon. Even if the Direct Market collapsed today, there's just too much interest in and momentum for print products.

What's exciting about this stuff is that we WILL see more traditional comics creators taking more advantage(s) of what can be done with their comics once their images/panels are separated from the idea of a page. Since so much of the art process is digital these days anyway, it takes relatively little forethought to make your comics like you always would and then just keep a list of what you'd like to change about the presentation for smartphones and tablets.

The only hang up right now is that someone still has to enter this data, and most often that's someone at ComiXology, so there's going to be a manpower bottleneck until creative teams are empowered to take on that added responsibility. Maybe that's making available a toolset, maybe it's the slow process of saturating the talent pool with literacy in whatever the dang code is.

I could name half a dozen webcomics that did some/most/all of this stuff in the last decade. So, in a sense, ComiXology isn't really bringing anything new to the ecosystem with this extra functionality. BUT the ComiXology guys are making it easier than ever for more creators to get on that boat, and that's what makes it interesting and important.

Someone out there has figured out the killer use of this tech. He or she just doesn't know it yet. The more people we have fiddling with it, the sooner we'll find out what it is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

It's super easy to go overboard and become gimmicky. Hopefully we didn't.

If the gimmick is a Dinosaur talking about crystals it will never get old.

Seriously.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Rhyno posted:

Volume 8 tests the hell outta the bounds of that hypothesis.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Rhyno posted:

Seriously.

Even the Dr. Dinosaur twitter account is hilarious.

Sledra
Jan 24, 2005

How Thortunate!
I bought it on a whim on Comixology without realizing there was anything different about the release, really enjoyed the way it unfolded and worked within the digital setting. Was this a one off or are more planned in the same style?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Hyperactive posted:

Volume 8 tests the hell outta the bounds of that hypothesis.

I am so excited I think I might pee my pants!

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Sledra posted:

I bought it on a whim on Comixology without realizing there was anything different about the release, really enjoyed the way it unfolded and worked within the digital setting. Was this a one off or are more planned in the same style?
I think everyone involved was pleased with the process and the results, and we're all interested in seeing Team Robo take some more stabs at the medium. Scott and I have already talked about what the next story like this would be if we do one.

But I don't know how regularly we'll end up doing them. The digital comic took about as much time as a regular issue. We'll streamline a bit on the next one now that we're familiar with it, but it'll shave days off, not weeks. So much of our material works better in the context of multiple issues, and we've got like ten more volumes figured out right now, and we want to do them all RIGHT NOW, so they're always going to be our priority.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Just got to read the new digital only Robo I picked up. That was a pretty awesome presentation. I'm going to be going digital for the next volume(s) and this was a nice jumping off point for it.

I really enjoyed the action shots that kept the same background but then expanded as the action happened. Specifically when the villain (did you guys actually pick a girls name for her? Tyra? ) is shooting at Robo with her laser. Loved that!

E: added spoiler tags for the story specific question.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

While ComiXology is down, why not check out the all new Atomic Robo mobile game?

It's only available on iOS, but that's temporary. Android and Win 8 will be supported ASAP.

Some folks have had trouble with the game crashing. It works fine on my phone, so I can only tell you what I've heard works: first, delete the game. Then double-check that you're running the most recent version of iOS (6.1.2 I believe). If not, get it, then re-download the game. If you were running the right version all along, re-download the game anyway. For some reason this almost always fixes it.

I'm only a few stages in. Gameplay is simple, but energetic. Looks like there's a bit of exploration to each level that I hadn't anticipated from the dev reports we were getting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

While ComiXology is down, why not check out the all new Atomic Robo mobile game?

It's only available on iOS, but that's temporary. Android and Win 8 will be supported ASAP.

Some folks have had trouble with the game crashing. It works fine on my phone, so I can only tell you what I've heard works: first, delete the game. Then double-check that you're running the most recent version of iOS (6.1.2 I believe). If not, get it, then re-download the game. If you were running the right version all along, re-download the game anyway. For some reason this almost always fixes it.

I'm only a few stages in. Gameplay is simple, but energetic. Looks like there's a bit of exploration to each level that I hadn't anticipated from the dev reports we were getting.

I updated and deleted and redownloaded and can't get it to run. One time I was able to jump before it sent me to the desktop but thats the farthest I got.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

I updated and deleted and redownloaded and can't get it to run. One time I was able to jump before it sent me to the desktop but thats the farthest I got.
So weird. Worked fine from the start on my 4GS. Try emailing them.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Hyperactive posted:

But I thought Robo and Apple didn't get along? Something about metal fingers.:science:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Hyperactive posted:

So weird. Worked fine from the start on my 4GS. Try emailing them.

I posted on their facebook already. They got back to me with some possible fixes but none of them worked. It's not a big deal though I've spent more on far more broken games where the company never got back to me. I can wait for a patch.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
Didn't see it mentioned, but it looks like Comixology now has the collected version of Vol. 7 up to buy now. I don't have much space, so I prefer getting what few comics I do get (and Robo is always a must-have) digitally whenever possible so I'm glad to see it up there.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Len posted:

I posted on their facebook already. They got back to me with some possible fixes but none of them worked. It's not a big deal though I've spent more on far more broken games where the company never got back to me. I can wait for a patch.
Yeah, whatever is going on is affecting a relative few but that's still too many. They're buckling down on fixing it on their end.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

Didn't see it mentioned, but it looks like Comixology now has the collected version of Vol. 7 up to buy now. I don't have much space, so I prefer getting what few comics I do get (and Robo is always a must-have) digitally whenever possible so I'm glad to see it up there.
FINALLY.

Direct link for those interested.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

That was basically my response, I just didn't want to sound ungrateful for more Robo in the thread. I was, in fact, just about to order up a copy from Amazon when my paycheck came in today since Comixology seemed to have abandoned me. Instead they, and you, get more of my money for the good things you do.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I still can't get the iPod app to run :( the company is working with me to figure out why it won't go though and are apparently mailing me swag in the meantime.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

It would be straight up STUPID of you to miss out on this week's of Real Science Adventures.

Local shop.

Online.

Comixology.

FYI.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Just to make sure, Real Science Adventures #7 is not collected in this here, right? Because Comixology doesn't really make it clear what's in it and what's not and as much as I love Atomic Robo, I don't want to double-buy what I've already have read. ;)

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

It's an all new issue. Not collected in anything yet.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Thanks for the information, bought it just now (digitally alas).

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

This have bothered me since I learnt of real life Tesla, why has nobody ever continued his electricity experiments to give use free electricity?

(apologies, this came up after I read the last issue)

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Manwithastick posted:

This have bothered me since I learnt of real life Tesla, why has nobody ever continued his electricity experiments to give use free electricity?

Many of his notes were either destroied or in some cases written in code no one has broken.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Manwithastick posted:

It's pretty easy to get caught up in Tesla-mania. He was undoubtedly a genius, it's just that his genius as a performer is often underestimated. He'd make sensational claims to capture funding. Or he'd make sensational claims simply as a matter of ego. Or he'd make sensational claims that were accurate in principle but not necessarily in practice.

The problem was knowing which category or categories any given sensational claim would fall under at the time he was making it. And the older he gets, the less moored to reality he becomes. It's sad, but it's a fact.

As for "free" electricity, it's not that simple. Even if the theory can be worked out, there's the rather ugly matter that there's no money in it. Or, more accurately, a couple billionaires would have to do something else to keep being billionaires if there was free energy. It's why Rockefeller pulled his funding from Wardenclyffe the moment he figured out the whole point was to broadcast energy for free. Whether or not it was possible, the people in charge of energy infrastructure benefit FAR too much from scarcity to ever give it away.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Don't listen to Hyperactive. Tesla was a WIZARD and as soon as we discover the lost art of MYSTICISM we shall unlock his secrets.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

Rhyno posted:

Don't listen to Hyperactive. Tesla was a WIZARD and as soon as we discover the lost art of MYSTICISM we shall unlock his secrets.
Full disclosure: I cannot refute any of that.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Hyperactive posted:

As for "free" electricity, it's not that simple. Even if the theory can be worked out, there's the rather ugly matter that there's no money in it. Or, more accurately, a couple billionaires would have to do something else to keep being billionaires if there was free energy. It's why Rockefeller pulled his funding from Wardenclyffe the moment he figured out the whole point was to broadcast energy for free. Whether or not it was possible, the people in charge of energy infrastructure benefit FAR too much from scarcity to ever give it away.

I seem to recall reading somewhere (so take this as you will) that a big problem with Tesla's free electricity setup is that it's spectacularly lossy and inefficient--like, even given the most optimistic use estimates, we'd only be able to use a low-single-digit-percentage of the total energy being produced, which means a whole hell of a lot of that energy would simply be pumped into the void unused. I may not have the whole story on that, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chukamok
Jul 23, 2010
Also, IIRC, attenuation also comes into play. The farther away you are from the power station, the less power you get.

• Locked thread