Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Angiepants posted:

I hate how Trio always puts out the only two or three decent songs from an album and gets everyone's hopes up. "They're good again, guys!"

The past few releases have been like this: Trio drops a single which prompts me to go listen to the self-titled and Maybe I'll Catch Fire. So there's at least that going on which is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

"Maybe this whole internet idea wasn't a good idea."
-Tom Green (June 18th 2006, 3:52AM EST)
Dickeye saw Anderson Stingrays last night :laugh:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheBlackMallard posted:

Dickeye saw Anderson Stingrays last night :laugh:

I almost admire them for being so loving awful and not giving a gently caress. Just straight up Ramones-level lack of giving a shut.

Holy poo poo they were terrible.

I also got to see TBR play I saw the Apeman on the Moon, though so it balances out.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Angiepants posted:

I hate how Trio always puts out the only two or three decent songs from an album and gets everyone's hopes up. "They're good again, guys!"

Dan has more than two or three songs on an album :colbert:

Also this and the last song gives me a lot more hope after the plane crash that was Warhol.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Should I just get White Crosses/Black Crosses if I really loving like I was a teenage anarchist by Against Me? Or is there a better album to start with?

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"

weekly font posted:

Dan has more than two or three songs on an album :colbert:

Also this and the last song gives me a lot more hope after the plane crash that was Warhol.

Hopefully "Warhol" was just the dud filler song of the album and they were just getting it out of the way. "I, Pessimist" really impressed me though. Not that Dan ever disappoints or anything, but that was everything I could have hoped it would be.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Red_Fred posted:

Should I just get White Crosses/Black Crosses if I really loving like I was a teenage anarchist by Against Me? Or is there a better album to start with?

White Crosses is really really good I just like New Wave more.

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

Axl Rose, Eternal Cowboy, and anything before those two. They went downhill after Tom started wearing panties.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

I would start with the two newest ones, then move backward in time.

Also The Bronx is replacing AM! on the Bad Religion tour; ehhhh.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Have any of you guys downloaded a Fugazi Live Series show? If so, any standouts?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

weekly font posted:

White Crosses is really really good I just like New Wave more.

I guess if you were just looking to get a similar vibe from that single, but man, they put out so much better stuff.

Searching for a Former Clarity is the bee's knees.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

-Atom- posted:

Searching for a Former Clarity is the bee's knees.

Their best album in my opinion. I have been trying to listen to more of their releases and have not found anything that compares.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheBlackMallard posted:

Axl Rose, Eternal Cowboy, and anything before those two. They went downhill after Tom started wearing panties.

Man I'm trying to figure out if you're slamming her for coming out or not, because this post is a weird post.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008

Dickeye posted:

Man I'm trying to figure out if you're slamming her for coming out or not, because this post is a weird post.

Yeah, that post kind of made me uncomfortable... transphobia isn't cool, y'all.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
I just wish Laura wasn't center stage when they perform. It always seemed cool as hell to me when he would play stage left.

Oh well, I'm looking forward to the new album!

TheBlackMallard
Apr 24, 2005

Dickeye posted:

I'm not slamming at all. I just think they went downhill after Tom started to actually deal with his gender issues(after Eternal Cowboy.) I'm super happy for her. It was just a joke.

Edit: Also, I'm not into songs about Condoleezza Rice.

TheBlackMallard fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Mar 8, 2013

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

TheBlackMallard posted:

I'm not slamming at all. I just think they went downhill after Tom started to actually deal with his gender issues(after Eternal Cowboy.) I'm super happy for her. It was just a joke.
When the punchline is "haha, trans people exist", it's not a very funny joke. It just makes you seem like a cruel jerk.

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
People are insanely touchy in this thread. I smiled.

Anyway, have some sweet hardcore:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Azdfd4WaAw

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

I'm not sure which thread this should go in but I'm not getting any replies in the scenecore thread, so apologies if this doesn't belong:

I have the opportunity to see The Menzingers when they support Pennywise in April on their Australian tour. What are they like live, worth seeing? I've only listened to 'On the impossible past' which I'm currently loving so I don't know much of their back catalogue. Is there any albums I should check out prior?

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Cloud the Cat posted:

I'm not sure which thread this should go in but I'm not getting any replies in the scenecore thread, so apologies if this doesn't belong:

I have the opportunity to see The Menzingers when they support Pennywise in April on their Australian tour. What are they like live, worth seeing? I've only listened to 'On the impossible past' which I'm currently loving so I don't know much of their back catalogue. Is there any albums I should check out prior?

The Menzingers are playing 2 nights in my hometown over the summer so I got tickets for both. So excited! On the Impossible Past is one of my most played albums ever according to last.fm. The album before it is pretty good as well. I can't actually say whether they are any good live as last time they were here it clashed with Nasum's last ever UK show.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
I saw the Menzingers live on the tour with La Dispute/Hot Water Music, they were good but not incredible. I realized that they're kinda one of those bands where their best songs are the once they're less likely to play live. I was really hoping they would play Casey or Mexican Guitars, and they didn't play them or anything from their first album, which I thought was a little weird seeing as they only have 3 albums. I would say they're worth seeing, but maybe not if they're the only reason you're going to a show. And Impossible Past is their best album, but you should check out their other two albums, they are good poo poo. Their set when I saw then was: Good Things, So it Goes, Obituaries, Burn After Reading, Home Outgrown, Time Tables, Nice Things, I Can't Seem to Tell, Gates, I was Born.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Seen the Menzingers five times, and they seem to get progressively worse each time. Incredibly underwhelming on the Hot Water Music tour (HWM was amazing though, and La Dispute was hilariously terrible). Their tempos drag incredibly (most notably during Gates) and they tend to ignore their earlier catalog, as was previously mentioned. It's a shame too because on the whole I thought On the Impossible Past was a step down from their other albums. It's good, but it lacks the punch. I also do not understand the love The Obituaries gets, god that song is terrible.

I mean good for them to be on Epitaph now and everything, but I feel that they were much more enjoyable when they were playing in smaller DIY venues and closing with A Lesson in the Abuse than they are now playing almost all of On the Impossible Past and maybe I Was Born.

Cloud the Cat
Apr 21, 2010

Thanks guys, good information. I'll probably check them out if some of my friends want to see Pennywise anyway, but I won't bust my balls to get tickets or anything. It does strike me as an album that'd be difficult to play live though with all the different sounds and things.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Neo Cons 7" comes out next week.

http://derangedrecords.bandcamp.com/album/idiot-circus-2

You can pre-order it on deranged records.

edit: this is really good http://lowliferi.bandcamp.com/

alg fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 11, 2013

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
For all the skramz fans here, Old Gray just released their debut album on their bandcamp. It's loving incredible, you guys should check it out.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

For all the skramz fans here, Old Gray just released their debut album on their bandcamp. It's loving incredible, you guys should check it out.

Then buy it here because Broken World owns. It's run by Derrick from The World is a Beautiful Place. I actually saw them (TWIABP) last night and they played a bunch of new songs. Their LP is going to be absurdly good.

Kevar fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 12, 2013

Pabst Blue Trippin
Oct 11, 2010
So anyone going to Punk Rock Bowling?

Also if you haven't y'all should get the new Marching Orders and Off With Their Heads albums.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
Comadre. :(

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

That first track is really, really goddamn good. I like the album for the most part, but some of the vocals are pretty blehhh.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

A good split from 2 bands I had not heard until now:

http://toxicbreedsfunhouse.blogspot.com/2013/03/full-album-stream-flexvices-split-7.html

edit: Criaturas put up 3 tracks: http://criaturas82.bandcamp.com/album/espiritu-de-libertad

alg fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 14, 2013

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
New Paint It Black song is kickass.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

new Night Birds track is streaming http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/03/night_birds_rea.html#more :allears:

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Alkaline Trio album streaming in full. It's okay, but I feel like it's going to be like their last bunch of albums where Dan B-sides are better songs than Matt album tracks. Speaking of which an EP of B-Sides drops next week on the official release date so maybe there's a great album in there somewhere.

http://www.spin.com/articles/alkaline-trio-my-shame-is-true-album-stream-matt-skiba-interview-epitaph

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy

weekly font posted:

Alkaline Trio album streaming in full. It's okay, but I feel like it's going to be like their last bunch of albums where Dan B-sides are better songs than Matt album tracks. Speaking of which an EP of B-Sides drops next week on the official release date so maybe there's a great album in there somewhere.

http://www.spin.com/articles/alkaline-trio-my-shame-is-true-album-stream-matt-skiba-interview-epitaph

I like it. Most of the songs are super catchy.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

weekly font posted:

I am digging the gently caress out of this album. It definitely has the vibe that these are the guys who put out the self-titled and Goddamnit but obviously matured and not trying nearly as hard like with that bullshit album This Addiction. Basically, cut out the past few albums with this one following Crimson then their discography makes sense.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Dickeye posted:

Is anybody else in upstate NY going to the Queers/TBR/Masked Intruder show tonight in Rochester?

I saw this show in Toronto. What a blast.

Firecube
Feb 15, 2012

"What do you mean we usually just play dead? Are you telling me I've been doing this whole opossum thing wrong for 20 years??!!!"

weekly font posted:

"I Wanna Be A Warhol" aside, this album is pretty fun and enjoyable. It's easily their best since Crimson, and even channels elements as far back as Goddammit.

Also two Dan songs in a row?! Holy poo poo, I think that's a first!

alg
Mar 14, 2007

New Caravels album destroys. Can't wait to get the vinyl copy.

They posted up tour dates:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/caravels/midwest-east-coast-tour-2013/10151578062091468

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

alg posted:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/caravels/midwest-east-coast-tour-2013/10151578062091468

Got mine yesterday :getin:

Thought it'd take way longer to ship up north. And yeah, it owns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

alg posted:

I really wish Pittsburgh wasn't almost a 7 hour drive for me. That show is stacked. Caravels, Prawn, Old Gray, Have Mercy, and I Kill Giants. Sadly I think all their Northeast shows are going to be just far enough away that I won't be able to go.

I've had the LP since Friday and I've probably listened to it a couple dozen times since then. I liked their old stuff, but this really blew me away.