Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Is there a way to pay off loans early in eu3? Sometimes when playing I just enter an income death spiral and find myself bleeding cash on a yearly level with no army or navy. It's only my second play through. My Scotland game went up in smoke when I got a dozen concurrent rebellions at once from occupied lands and stability went into the shitter so I had no income to stop the rebellions. I'm playing as Byzantium and I've reclaimed all of my de jure land from the Ottoman empire on the west side and two province on the east side so they're a miniature nonissue from this point.

How do I start pushing eastward successfully without being eaten alive by rebellions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Naval Combat Dev Diary for Heart of Darkness is up:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?673511-Heart-of-Darkness-DD-3-The-naval-system.

Highlights:
* Naval bases will be limited to one per state
* Advanced/larger ships will now require a minimum level of naval base to be built, and only in states that have a land connection to your nation's capital
* Naval supply - a number derived from the number and level of your naval bases, which serves as a limit to how many ships you can maintain. Exceeding your naval supply limit means your ships get a combat penalty. This would ostensibly prevent small countries from being able to fight and win with hundreds of Dreadnoughts even if they can afford the upkeep.
* Battleships as a new unit between Ironclads and Dreadnoughts (these might also be accurately called pre-Dreadnoughts?)
* Big changes to the underlying naval combat calculations, such as Cruisers that can torpedo Battleships/Dreadnoughts, a system by which smaller ships can screen capital ships to prevent the former from happening, specific ship-on-ship targeting, varying phases of battle representing engagement ranges, and a coordination penalty that seems like it would prevent a massive numerical advantage from translating into guaranteed flawless victories every time.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 7, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Just eliminating infinite battleship spam to get your mil score up is a fantastic change.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

gradenko_2000 posted:

* Battlecruisers as a new unit between Ironclads and Dreadnoughts (these might also be accurately called pre-Dreadnoughts?)

Battleships, not Battlecruisers :)

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

YouTuber posted:

Is there a way to pay off loans early in eu3? Sometimes when playing I just enter an income death spiral and find myself bleeding cash on a yearly level with no army or navy. It's only my second play through. My Scotland game went up in smoke when I got a dozen concurrent rebellions at once from occupied lands and stability went into the shitter so I had no income to stop the rebellions. I'm playing as Byzantium and I've reclaimed all of my de jure land from the Ottoman empire on the west side and two province on the east side so they're a miniature nonissue from this point.

No, but apparently it will be possible in EU4. What I usually do in these cases is mint like crazy for a year or so before the due date to repay the loan if I can't get it done via any other way (although I'm sure there's a better option). 0.5-1.0 inflation increase is definitely worth it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Darkrenown posted:

Battleships, not Battlecruisers :)

Whoops! Corrected.

Any chance we'll get a Fort mapmode similar to the new Naval Base mapmode. Alternative, I'll also accept "that's already in Vic 2, you were just missing it" :)

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

gradenko_2000 posted:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?673511-Heart-of-Darkness-DD-3-The-naval-system.

Highlights:
* Naval bases will be limited to one per state
* Advanced/larger ships will now require a minimum level of naval base to be built, and only in states that have a land connection to your nation's capital
* Naval supply - a number derived from the number and level of your naval bases, which serves as a limit to how many ships you can maintain. Exceeding your naval supply limit means your ships get a combat penalty. This would ostensibly prevent small countries from being able to fight and win with hundreds of Dreadnoughts even if they can afford the upkeep.
* Battleships as a new unit between Ironclads and Dreadnoughts (these might also be accurately called pre-Dreadnoughts?)
* Big changes to the underlying naval combat calculations, such as Cruisers that can torpedo Battleships/Dreadnoughts, a system by which smaller ships can screen capital ships to prevent the former from happening, specific ship-on-ship targeting, varying phases of battle representing engagement ranges, and a coordination penalty that seems like it would prevent a massive numerical advantage from translating into guaranteed flawless victories every time.
This all sounds incredible and it will be a huge disappointment if the naval battle with tactics system isn't carried over to EU4.

*edit*
Is there a rough date attached to HoD? May or something?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

*edit*
Is there a rough date attached to HoD? May or something?

Word on the street is Mar 31, but you didn't hear it from me.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

gradenko_2000 posted:

Whoops! Corrected.

Any chance we'll get a Fort mapmode similar to the new Naval Base mapmode. Alternative, I'll also accept "that's already in Vic 2, you were just missing it" :)

Not a new mapmode, no space for more buttons. Might be possible to show them better on one of the existing modes, but can't promise it at the moment.

^^^As for release, can only say "Q2" for now.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

Word on the street is Mar 31, but you didn't hear it from me.

Well I now know what I'm going to be playing in April.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Highlights:

-Naval Micro

Heh. Hearts of Darkness? More like Hearts of Iron, am I right? :smug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Darkrenown! You mentioned this in the DD thread:

"There is a blockade effect based on the % of your ports blockaded which affects the price of WM imports. IIRC, we upped the effect here too."

Did you mean that this effect already exists in V2 right now and was just increased for HOD, or is it a new HOD feature? That would actually give a lot more value to navies in wars.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Darkrenown! You mentioned this in the DD thread:

"There is a blockade effect based on the % of your ports blockaded which affects the price of WM imports. IIRC, we upped the effect here too."

Did you mean that this effect already exists in V2 right now and was just increased for HOD, or is it a new HOD feature? That would actually give a lot more value to navies in wars.

Wait, does this mean that you can theoretically bankrupt the UK by crushing the Royal Navy and trapping the Brits on the Isles? As well as any other nation that relies heavily on overseas trade?

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer
Does this mean I won't have to build 500 dreadnaughts to take down the UK in late game anymore?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I'd like to know what that wave icon is, and if I can have a naval doomstack so huge that my ships shoot at each other more than the enemy.

toasterwarrior posted:

Wait, does this mean that you can theoretically bankrupt the UK by crushing the Royal Navy and trapping the Brits on the Isles? As well as any other nation that relies heavily on overseas trade?
I doubt it would be modeled on a regional level. I'd guess that British India has access to the same imported goods as British Australia, British Canada, British Nigeria, and British Britain.

*e*

DrSunshine posted:

Heh. Hearts of Darkness? More like Hearts of Iron, am I right? :smug:
West vs. Africa: A Hearts of Darkness game.

*e2*
podcat posted a :negative: in the DD thread and everyone's trying to figure out what the gently caress.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 7, 2013

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I would prefer if the "you can't mass produce the giant fuckoff ships of the era using random backwater spots" rule was handles via having cores/population levels/naval bases instead of land connection to the capital/naval bases. That mechanic works in Europe but not for 1930 Great Power Indonesia/Philippines/Malaysia.

In fact I don't like "land connection to the capital" used as anything at all.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

podcat posted a :negative: in the DD thread and everyone's trying to figure out what the gently caress.

Careful Wiz, Podcat is coming for your "coolest Paradox employee" badge.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

RabidWeasel posted:

Careful Wiz, Podcat is coming for your "coolest Paradox employee" badge.

He was always the coolest P-dox employee

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I just went Bavaria -> Germany -> HRE -> Papal State -> Germany in EU3, and I think I broke something. Witness the Reformed Pope of Germany:

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

How do you become a papacy?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Did you get the Germany decision bonuses twice?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Jean Pony posted:

How do you become a papacy?

Be a catholic theocracy, not be the Teutonic Order, and Italy and the Papal States have to not exist.

Bold Robot posted:

Did you get the Germany decision bonuses twice?

Yes :smug:

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I can't be the only one who finds naval combat stultifying in every game (maybe with the exception of Pirates!) It's always a big chore micromanaging your fleet - the AI can easily control every ship individually (if stupidly) but I don't have the patience to be checking on a dozen little fleets all the time. The new naval model looks sort of interesting in theory, but I don't think it'll decrease the amount of micro that you need to make navies effective.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Nightblade posted:

I just went Bavaria -> Germany -> HRE -> Papal State -> Germany in EU3, and I think I broke something. Witness the Reformed Pope of Germany:

I like how Balkans is the most stable part of Europe where nothing changed in 100+ years despite you going full bismarck

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I thought Germany couldn't form the HRE and vice-versa?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Jabarto posted:

I thought Germany couldn't form the HRE and vice-versa?

HRE can't form Germany, but there's no restrictions for forming the HRE, beyond the obvious like being emperor and having the necessary authority.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cowcatcher posted:

I like how Balkans is the most stable part of Europe where nothing changed in 100+ years despite you going full bismarck

Reading this has reminded me that I really hope that they get rid of the senseless same religion requirement for diplo annexing in EU4. Yeah sure make it more difficult but it's not it's unheard of and I'm sick of seeing Bosnia and Serbia existing forever as Ottoman vassals (not that this will be a problem with the new start date, but still).

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!

Nightblade posted:

The real question is...why is Gelre still independent? :psyduck:

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I can't be the only one who finds naval combat stultifying in every game (maybe with the exception of Pirates!) It's always a big chore micromanaging your fleet - the AI can easily control every ship individually (if stupidly) but I don't have the patience to be checking on a dozen little fleets all the time. The new naval model looks sort of interesting in theory, but I don't think it'll decrease the amount of micro that you need to make navies effective.

Yeah I agree. I've always thought about making a mod for EU3 where I would combine naval zones to make them larger. Much larger, as in the whole of Mediterranean would have maybe 3 zones. I imagine that it would make it easy to blockade countries without splitting your navies into million pieces, and you would have decisive naval battles without microing fleets back and forth. I just never got around to actually doing this because :effort:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Darkrenown posted:

Not a new mapmode, no space for more buttons. Might be possible to show them better on one of the existing modes, but can't promise it at the moment.

^^^As for release, can only say "Q2" for now.

Why not just have a toggable button? Click once for Naval bases, click twice for Forts.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I got through a few games without touching naval combat at all. It's completely feasible if you're not colonising. In some ways it was actually easier because I never researched naval tech, never built ships and could afford maintaining a massive army.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Obfuscation posted:

Yeah I agree. I've always thought about making a mod for EU3 where I would combine naval zones to make them larger. Much larger, as in the whole of Mediterranean would have maybe 3 zones. I imagine that it would make it easy to blockade countries without splitting your navies into million pieces, and you would have decisive naval battles without microing fleets back and forth. I just never got around to actually doing this because :effort:

I would like to see something like this too, though you'd need special transport mechanics to prevent gamey human tactics, and I have no idea how well the AI could cope with it.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

On a similar note I really hope EU4 naval exploration is not "sail west to uncover one sea zone, return to base, sail a bit further west" repeated until you reach the new world.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Are there any good V2 LP to read? With HoD on the way I wanted to see if I would be interested in playing.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

A Tartan Tory posted:

The real question is...why is Gelre still independent? :psyduck:

Gelre was the only one to refuse the decision to revoke the privilegia. A huge Milan who hated me had no problems becoming a vassal, but 1 province Gelre with 200 relations thought he could take me on. :negative:

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

RabidWeasel posted:

Reading this has reminded me that I really hope that they get rid of the senseless same religion requirement for diplo annexing in EU4. Yeah sure make it more difficult but it's not it's unheard of and I'm sick of seeing Bosnia and Serbia existing forever as Ottoman vassals (not that this will be a problem with the new start date, but still).

I agree, but annexation should not be the inevitability it is in EU3. Ottomans got a few smaller territories by getting their former vassals to roll over, but they still had to roll in with armies for Bosnia and Serbia, and they never integrated Wallachia and Moldova at all.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I agree with that but that's more of an AI issue since the human player does just that all the time (break vassal status => invade).

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Something Went Wrong with Poland

They used to own all the land between Europe and the Timruds. One day they decided to fight themselves into a stalemate with Bohemia and Austria. The Ottomans, while no fans of either European power, embargoed them for fun.

War exhaustion took its toll, as their stability dropped to -1.

Then five, widely-spaced provinces not near the front lines revolted... somehow. Then another five. Bad luck, I guess, you never know. They attacked the Ottomans. A white peace was settled but the damage was done. -3 stability ravaged Poland and rebels began declaring independence.

Nogai Poland appeared and was promply invaded and annexed by Muscovy. Ottomans declared war on everything south of it.

Muscovy began taking the rebel states as they appeared, splitting Poland into no less than four, non-contiguous segments.

Muscovy eventually ended up Smolensk and everything east of it, reaching all the way to the Pacific.

Somehow, they had a sudden problem with rebels that could never be explained. Stupidly, they chose to take their anger on the Ottomans. Bad move, as they were 8 research levels behind in land warfare.

Ottomans seized Moldavia for fun, then demanded Muscovy release Sibir and Kazakh and give up its cores - splitting the nation in two. Faced with the very real prospect of Ottoman ally Syria owning Siberia, Muscovy relented.

The new tribal nations invaded the divided country and were themselves invaded by the Ottomans. Meanwhile Muscovy effectively collapsed, as endless waves of Pretender fighters swept the remnants of the battered nation.

Crackpipe fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Mar 8, 2013

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I also like France creeping into Iberia, Mega-Algiers, and Astrakhan not in Astrakhan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Yeah, naval warfare generally sucks rear end, unless you're fighting in a specific limited theater, such as the Baltic, or the Eastern Mediterranean. It's too spread out, artificially favors the AI (due to their immunity to attrition), and when you finally catch the enemy they just slink away into a port where you can't do jack poo poo to them. Thinking about it, this really ties into the general frustration with the insanely stubborn AI, where a naval victory basically means nothing to the AI.

Obfuscation posted:

Wouldn't big naval zones like that make it take forever to pick up troops? When you're a smallish power, the ability to quickly evacuate your troops when a huge army comes your way is pretty nice. One way to deal with the whole splitting your fleet up problem might be to have blockades extend to neighboring sea zones. That should prevent the need to split your fleet up to such a great extend, and allow a stronger blockading force you can quickly reinforce with your main fleet, should the enemy appear. Not something you can mod though, unfortunately.

• Locked thread