Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
One of the very first things that happens in the comic is the "player" directly interfering in the story. That always seemed a little out of place in retrospect but maybe it was a hint all along :tinfoil:.

It'd certainly be a hell of a callback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Seriously though, i've never watched that one movie, but the reason that twist worked for Earthbound is because it knew the player's name (and even then it sorta fell apart if you said your name was Hitler or some other joke answer). The gimmick wouldn't have worked without that, imo. If Homestuck tried to pull something similar it would feel unpersonal and weird.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
Some might remember a bit back I was asking advice on which SF character equated to which Homestuck character, here is the finished result (lovely phone pictures):

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Haha, Doc Scratch in anime schoolgirl outfit!

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

ShardPhoenix posted:

One of the very first things that happens in the comic is the "player" directly interfering in the story. That always seemed a little out of place in retrospect but maybe it was a hint all along :tinfoil:.

It'd certainly be a hell of a callback.

I don't think that's likely. Hussie's author notes in Volume 1 have him expressing that he thought it was a bad idea, mainly only there because it was a holdover from the beta version of the story, and was phased out pretty quickly.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

frozentreasure posted:

I don't think that's likely. Hussie's author notes in Volume 1 have him expressing that he thought it was a bad idea, mainly only there because it was a holdover from the beta version of the story, and was phased out pretty quickly.

But if there's a beta version of the story itself out there in the dreambubbles...

Joking aside, I don't think the end of Homestuck will involve the reader in any direct way. It's pretty clear that Calliope and Caliborn are meant to stand in for the readers, or rather the extreme personalities at either side of the readerbase. How this will resolve, I can't speculate at this point.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

The main thing I'm curious about is how much more is going to come of all the character's increasingly powered-up special abilities if Hussie wants to veer away from another Mobster Kingpin endgame.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Midnight Raider posted:

"Organizing your own convention" actually IS a pretty big and difficult and particularly :retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames: undertaking, especially if you want to do one at a scale large enough to accommodate the huge amount of fans you could potentially pull in. Anime conventions already have a pretty hefty existing framework and connections to go off of, when it comes to handling all the space, cash, shops, personnel, and personalities, even celebrities involved in making those things work. Ditto for other similar nerd venues.

I don't know how Pony get-togethers work, but from what I heard in the usual Brony Horror Stories they're not much more than smaller-scale get-togethers at rented small venues, and that wouldn't really be all that much like an anime convention other than involving costumes and possibly sale of merchandise(possibly of dubious legality home-made stuff), and more of a glorified meet-up.

An actual convention would have a hell of a lot more to it, with all the events and celebrities and activities and shops, thus a lot more fun, and also a larger, more public framework which makes it much more appealing and full of fun to warrant actually drive/fly long distances to, rather than doing the same just to hang out with a few costumed nerds who may not have anything to say in an empty rental hall/garage/whatever. But as said, it'd be very difficult to get off the ground, and Homestuck might be over before someone managed to actually put something meaningful together.

Just chiming in to say that Pony conventions actually can and have gotten pretty big and successful, and regularly draw in major members of the show staff as attendees, e.g. the primary voice cast and lead writers/musicians. I feel like Homestuck and Brony fandoms are of relatively comparable size, so if Bronies can pull it off, I am fairly confident Homestucks can do the same if they're of the mind to do it (although there's not much in the way of 'staff' to bring in, so I dunno if it'd be quite as appealing since a lot of fans go to cons specifically to meet the creative staff of the things they like).

However your first paragraph remains very true: Organizing your own convention is a massive undertaking. If there were to be a Homestuck-Con, it's the kind of thing an experienced con-organizer should be the one to put together. lovely management/budgeting is the kiss of death for a convention, as anyone familiar with the recent disastrous Pony Con in Vegas will tell you.

CidGregor fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 7, 2013

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

CidGregor posted:

as anyone familiar with the recent disastrous Pony Con in Vegas will tell you.

Why would anyone be familiar with this.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I hope I'm not the only one reading Hussies twitter because it truly is a thing of beauty. :allears:

quote:

Aaron Diaz @dresdencodak

If the KS hits $2million I will actually read Homestuck and find out what it is before I start drawing it.

quote:

andrewhussie @andrewhussie

@dresdencodak if my next KS hits $3M i will read dresden cod... wait i just read it all before i finished this tweet. dang!!!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I hope I'm not the only one reading Hussies twitter because it truly is a thing of beauty. :allears:

Found it.

Also to put it back more in context, it started with a series of jokes.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 7, 2013

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Kakumei posted:

Why would anyone be familiar with this.

Because hundreds of people, including fans, show staff, and even charities, were ripped off for hundreds if not thousands of dollars? I dunno about you but it's the sort of thing I'd look at very closely for examples of what not to do if I was putting together a Homestuck convention. Especially a first ever one.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Lord of Laughton posted:

Has there been any photos of people cosplaying as Lord English? I'd love to know if someone had made that cloak, complete with sky blue inner lining.

From the last page, but:

Inside wired up with an arduino:

Those LEDs blink and change color. I can't find a video right now.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Impressive initiative, and the little arduino in the lining makes me smile.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Cat Mattress posted:

Found it.

Also to put it back more in context, it started with a series of jokes.

Their back-and-forth was pretty funny.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

:allears: WORLDBUILDING :allears:

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Hey, it's the fan trolls! I was wondering when they'd show up.

edit: Aaaaand they're dead.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

And now it's time for our special guest appearances!

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
I must say, the fish in the top hat is quite dapper.

And now he's dead. Hah.

SusanosWrath
Jan 3, 2012

This Unit Will Self-Destruct Upon Termination of Target
A whole one panel worth of some fantrolls being canon before being eradicated. I hope that was worth those donation tiers, guys!

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Welp, twenty thousand dollars down the drain. Hope it was worth it!

Then again knowing Hussie they'll be back as ghosts anyway.

Which Vriska will then get double-killed.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Miss Bluetroll looks pretty rad. :golfclap:

Are cherub colors always red and green? I remember Calliope saying something about jade bloods being wiped out for their ~amazing powers~ but I'm not sure if that was just backstory for her trollsona or not.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
Worldbuilding! And also World Destroying!
Hello, canon fantrolls!
Goodbye, canon fantrolls!
Man, this is a great update.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
So I guess the entire cherub culture is based around some sort of sibling oedipus complex.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Wait a minute. Holy poo poo, I think Ms. Cobalt's nunchucks are made of trollhorn.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
^^^
Pretty sure that was part of the original fantroll design? I think it's a neat touch. We're lucky the two canon fantrolls actually have pretty nice character designs.

psychoticBacofoil posted:

A whole one panel worth of some fantrolls being canon before being eradicated. I hope that was worth those donation tiers, guys!

If they wanted their fantrolls to survive past their first panels then they should have sprung for the $100,000 tier :rolleye:

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Line Feed posted:

Miss Bluetroll looks pretty rad. :golfclap:

Are cherub colors always red and green? I remember Calliope saying something about jade bloods being wiped out for their ~amazing powers~ but I'm not sure if that was just backstory for her trollsona or not.

That was about trolls, yeah.

Also, something about Aranea's story....bugged me.

Aranea posted:

The only physical differenti8tion 8etween the two is the color8tion of their cheek swirls, which indic8tes alignment. There is otherwise no way to tell male and female apart 8efore a cheru8 predomin8tes.

Calliope and Caliborn have different eye colors, too.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Color Printer posted:

That was about trolls, yeah.

Also, something about Aranea's story....bugged me.

Calliope and Caliborn have different eye colors, too.

And tongues.

Of course, billions of years of research or not, it's entirely possible Aranea doesn't know everything she's talking about is 100% accurate.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Assuming the Evil Adult Male Cherub we're hearing about is Caliborn (and that the fiery apocalypse is close enough to mouthlaser rainbow apocalypse), then B2 Earth's pre-Sburb destination is apparently a universe that contains trolls. Any guesses as to whether this is universe A1 or A2?

...and what value of "n" for an "n-fold möbius reacharound" have we achieved?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Line Feed posted:

Nah I don't think that's it. From what it sounds like, Aranea is telling the story of the doomed Calliope. The one who predominated over Caliborn, but ends up dying because she's a doomed version and not the Alpha.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hold on, what universe is this taking place in again? There are trolls, so is this Beforus, Alternia, or some other universe that also had trolls?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
So on page 7684 (Aranea's story), when the green juju swirl turns into a solid green circle, is that the green sun?

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Dolash posted:

Hold on, what universe is this taking place in again? There are trolls, so is this Beforus, Alternia, or some other universe that also had trolls?

No troll planet that we know of was destroyed by a Cherub. Since Cali and Cali live in the very far future, on the planet earth, I don't think it would be them.

I think we are due for another universal reach-around?

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

psychoticBacofoil posted:

Well, Hussie did warn them that this would happen. :v:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

glowing-fish posted:

No troll planet that we know of was destroyed by a Cherub. Since Cali and Cali live in the very far future, on the planet earth, I don't think it would be them.

I think we are due for another universal reach-around?

Well, depending on the extent of the space empires in the Beforus and Alternia universes, this could be either of them and the cherubs are just popping colony worlds.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
I think we can assume that this is just a cut away from the Cherub Origin Universe to A2, showing the results of Lord English being in charge. It might even be the Sburb Meteors going off in A2. Then we cut back to the Cherubverse, showing that Caliborn has returned to the place of his birth, for destruction/mating reasons.

Anyone else notice the callback to Sepulchritude? And near a black hole, no less.

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

I'm pretty sure this Cherub Aranea's talking about isn't supposed to be Calliope or Caliborn, doomed timeline or otherwise.

Aranea posted:

And if 8y some means a cheru8 with such destructive tendencies were to achieve unprecedented power, the resulting im8alance would 8e catastrophic for paradox space itself. And though the heroine of our story could have no way of knowing, this is exactly what would result from the pursuit of her kismesis.
If I'm reading that correctly, the Cherub with unprecedented power (Caliborn/Lord English) will be a direct result of this pursuit, meaning the direct result of this heroine's pursuit of the Cherub she'll mate with.

Of course, the existence of the black hole does point towards Caliborn being the one waiting for this Cherub we're following, but for now I'm going with the assumption that these two Cherubs are the parents of Calliope/Caliborn.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Maybe the planet is just a generic alien planet but because Aranea is a troll and has no other race to go off of she just kinda shows the inhabitants as trolls?

Anyways, there WERE adult trolls on other planets before the Vast Glub, plenty of opportunities for LE to blow a planet of trolls up.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dolash posted:

It's hard to say but I'm thinking this is A2. Aranea describes a cherub being like a virus within an immune system. This fits perfectly into Lord English's arrival into A2 being executed by a computer code (a virus) and the idea of universes being within frogs (Karkat saying how he gave B1 cancer because he messed up the frog breeding).

quote:

Anyways, there WERE adult trolls on other planets before the Vast Glub, plenty of opportunities for LE to blow a planet of trolls up.

This too. From my understanding Condesce was expanding her empire in A2 by destroying other planets inhabitants and then repopulating them with trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996
Aranea confirmed to be a Bioware fan. :legion: