Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Im so loving glad every naysayer in the thread has been proven dead wrong. Its crazy and awesome to see the results of the huge fanbase PST has garnered over the years and of course the work of the fine folks at InXile who have provided a great pitch for the sequel.

I know its too early to be excited but GODDAMN everything about this game looks great so far. I want to put myself in stasis trough all of 2013 so I can play all these CRPGS already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I am glad to be wrong, honestly.

a slim pixie
Dec 29, 2008

an earworm burrowed into my frontal lobe

Drifter posted:

I am oddly fine with being able to have a stretch goal for the other gender. At first glance I was a bit leery, mainly because it really sounded exclusionary and anti feminist, but the game was a story created for one person. Adding a different person correctly takes a little more effort - especially if this game is as grand as it's being described.

Kevin Saunders mentioned in this Formspring response that they didn't have a specific player gender in mind and would have left it up to the backers had they not reached their goal.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Yay! I can be a lady.

Girls rule, boys drool etc.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

a slim pixie posted:

Kevin Saunders mentioned in this Formspring response that they didn't have a specific player gender in mind and would have left it up to the backers had they not reached their goal.

So it would have been a male. Basically. Unless they'd offered some sort of weird option, like asexual or something. Be a being that was created without gender. That'd actually be pretty cool, and might have been different enough to have won some votes.

But now it's male and female, so dinnae matter anyway!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Jeez, the speed at which this is going is loving insane. It seems that a lot of the successful video game Kickstarters ridiculously undershoot their target goals, to the point where they get blindsided less than 24 hours into it when they have more than double the money they assumed would be their "best case scenario" after 30 days. I wish I had that problem.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
This is set to be the second biggest 24 hours for a project on Kickstarter. OUYA hit $2,589,687.77 after 24 hours, this one looks to be about 1.7mil. It's a shorter funding time of the big projects, 30 days as opposed to Project Eternity's 32, Double Fine Adventure's 34, and Wasteland 2's 35, so it might potentially reduce total funding but probably not by much.

Spreadsheets:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjRsTwF0aHv6dFVwaTF1WTI5b24tbGxpQUdQNU1TSHc#gid=14

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
Come on people, only about 30 minutes left, and if we hit another $100,000 in pledges, we'll have obtained twice the original goal in 24 hours

(also holy poo poo, nearly 1.8M in 24 hours :tviv: )

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

They've got 12 minutes to get $94,000. Not going to happen, unfortunately.

That said, I'm pretty sure they've done infinitely better than anyone in this thread expected them to. Only nearly doubling your goal in 24 hours is still amazing.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
Oh God, please, please, please let this game not suck! I promise I'll start sacrificing chickens to you again if we get a good game out of this!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
They mentioned running out of text space on the front page earlier; it seems they'd be able to make all of their bulletpointed lists into images without out anyone the wiser, no?

Also, doubling down on the :rms: sentiments.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Noricae posted:

Same. I hope we get to include a line or two on the gravestone and it's not just a name. I'd like to add an awful joke/pun in there. Also excited to read through the Numenera core book (and maybe buy a physical copy later if it's interesting enough).

This would be cool, but there are 1000($125 digital tier) and 500($250 physical tier) backers who will get their name in the game this way. Probably just gonna be some huge wall full of names.

Chairchucker posted:

One thing about the Wasteland 2 setting which excited me somewhat was that there appears to be a lot of vegetative regrowth. I'm really looking forward to hopefully seeing office buildings with trees growing through them and covered in vines.

This has always kinda caught my eye in Fallout games. Basically human built infrastructure seems to be in way too good condition after a nuclear war and 100+ years, but the vegetation on the other hand seems to have suffered greatly. Even though in reality it should probably be the complete opposite way. Most human built things crumble fast but Earth's history, and even recent events like the Chernobyl, have shown us that the nature will endure almost anything. If anything humans being out of the way should have been a boon for the nature to florish. Anyway off-topic, and it's just a random observation I still love the Fallout universe.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Adar posted:

Star Control 2.5. Or 3.5, whatever, let's just all admit 3 never happened.

One would think Toys For Bob (creators of star control) would have more money than god after the success of Slylanders and they could finance the game themselves, if Activision gives them the rights

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
At first I was skeptical of this game with questions like "Why would Torment need a spiritual successor?" and "Why not make the game in the amazing Planescape setting?" but after watching the video on the Kickstarter page I was sold. The Numenera setting seems interesting, even if it's probably not as cool as the Planescape setting was, and the mood of the game premise really does seem to fit within the same category as Planescape Torment did. I kind of feel weird that all the games I have backed on Kickstarter so far have been isometric CRPGs though...

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Running out of text on the Kickstarter page means at least they'll get one thing right.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

MaterialConceptual posted:

At first I was skeptical of this game with questions like "Why would Torment need a spiritual successor?" and "Why not make the game in the amazing Planescape setting?"

I think I read somewhere that inXile tried to talk to Wizards of The Coast about using Planescape, but they consider the setting "Retired" and aren't letting anyone use it.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

I think I read somewhere that inXile tried to talk to Wizards of The Coast about using Planescape, but they consider the setting "Retired" and aren't letting anyone use it.

Well I hope the creators of Numenera get to keep control of the setting this time instead of it falling under the control of a huge conglomerate.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

MaterialConceptual posted:

Well I hope the creators of Numenera get to keep control of the setting this time instead of it falling under the control of a huge conglomerate.

They will continue to keep control of the setting unless they decide to sell it. Numenera was funded through Kickstarter last year:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1433901524/numenera-a-new-roleplaying-game-from-monte-cook

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I just hope the game is weird, just a little. One of the great things about PST were the companions who were unlike anything we have seen in other games, I don't know anything about the Numenera setting other than is on the kickstarter page, but the concept art makes me hopeful.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax

Oasx posted:

I just hope the game is weird, just a little. One of the great things about PST were the companions who were unlike anything we have seen in other games, I don't know anything about the Numenera setting other than is on the kickstarter page, but the concept art makes me hopeful.

Well in terms of companions, I'd say that the whole 'a boy and his blob' thing they got going with the 2M stretch goal sounds intriguing

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

From Brian Fargo's Twitter

quote:

More details later but we have a super fan who is going to match 10 cents for every dollar pledged between 2 mil and 3 mil. WOW!
So that's an additional $100,000 if it reaches $3 million.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

That's what inXile said, but I remember that a couple days later somebody interviewed WotC and they said they would have been open to new Planescape games. So it's either internal miscommunication or someone isn't laying out all the cards.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

Well part of the problem is that its just not a very popular setting for the reason of it being that if I didn't actually know it had the D&D name on it the last thing I would associate it with is Dungeons and Dragons.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Brown Moses posted:

From Brian Fargo's Twitter

So that's an additional $100,000 if it reaches $3 million.

What the butts.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Zilkin posted:

This would be cool, but there are 1000($125 digital tier) and 500($250 physical tier) backers who will get their name in the game this way. Probably just gonna be some huge wall full of names.

This has always kinda caught my eye in Fallout games. Basically human built infrastructure seems to be in way too good condition after a nuclear war and 100+ years, but the vegetation on the other hand seems to have suffered greatly. Even though in reality it should probably be the complete opposite way. Most human built things crumble fast but Earth's history, and even recent events like the Chernobyl, have shown us that the nature will endure almost anything. If anything humans being out of the way should have been a boon for the nature to florish. Anyway off-topic, and it's just a random observation I still love the Fallout universe.
The area where Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas are set is a desert in real life, isn't it? I figured that was why everything looked barren and rocky; there are some pretty lush areas in F2 and New Vegas, and in Honest Hearts you go to a national park with lovely trees everywhere. Fallout 3 was set in an area that should really be an overgrown swamp but eh, Fallout 3.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

2house2fly posted:

Fallout 3 was set in an area that should really be an overgrown swamp but eh, Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 did have an expansion [Point Lookout] that was set in a swamp, though.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

Why bother negotiating the rights to the old setting when they have the opportunity to make a similar product without the intervention/input of WoTC and Hasboro?

Planescape was my second favorite D&D setting, but I don't need more of it at the expense of the developers freedom.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

That's why I question the wisdom of letting the backers vote for anything, especially as something as big as the combat system. We (well the majority of us) don't make games. We don't know what's going to work best thematically. If they go that route, surely they're not getting freedom. Aren't they just trading one master for another?

If I'm honest, I'd much rather they just do what they think is best, then we can judge the product at the end. And if they do insist on putting stuff to a vote, I really hope 'do what you think is best' is an option.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

If its similar to the WL2 collaborative process, I don't think you'll have to worry about ponies or homestuck in your CRPG.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

Oasx posted:

Pretty certain you won't be disappointed on that front, the tone of the game and it's morality system especially remind me of The Void.

The Void was weird as gently caress.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Thrill Cosby posted:

...I don't think you'll have to worry about ponies or homestuck in your CRPG.

Hah. I hadn't quite envisioned it going that far. That would be the worst of all possible CRPG-based worlds.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

CottonWolf posted:

That's why I question the wisdom of letting the backers vote for anything, especially as something as big as the combat system. We (well the majority of us) don't make games. We don't know what's going to work best thematically. If they go that route, surely they're not getting freedom. Aren't they just trading one master for another?

Fargo said during the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter that they're always willing to listen to their fans and even take their opinions into account, but that they've also got their own ideas about how to make the game and they're not necessarily just going to throw in everything that people want just to "appease" them.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Great Rumbler posted:

Fargo said during the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter that they're always willing to listen to their fans and even take their opinions into account, but that they've also got their own ideas about how to make the game and they're not necessarily just going to throw in everything that people want just to "appease" them.

That sounds reasonable. I'm probably just worrying over nothing.

Satanos
Feb 5, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

Hah. I hadn't quite envisioned it going that far. That would be the worst of all possible CRPG-based worlds.

Possibly so bad it warps into a neutral "incredible".

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Spent a day deciding if I will go the 25$ route or the 45$ route. Just gave you guys 45$. Make me an awesome game.

Phil Niekro
Jun 4, 2005

CottonWolf posted:

That sounds reasonable. I'm probably just worrying over nothing.

I don't know if non-backers have access to the WL2 development forums, but if you can read them, you'll see there's plenty of horrible ideas that the team is ignoring; romancing children, nude codes, playable vampires, etc.

It's mostly been "We can do a specific mehanic this way or this way, which do you guys prefer?"

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Thrill Cosby posted:

I don't know if non-backers have access to the WL2 development forums, but if you can read them, you'll see there's plenty of horrible ideas that the team is ignoring; romancing children, nude codes, playable vampires, etc.

Yeah, I can get in. Presumably there's some backer only stuff I can't see, but, you're right, from what I saw it looked like they were handling dev/consumer interaction reasonably well.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Derailing the thread a bit - I'm reinstalling Torment, but is there a way to make the UI elements scale with my resolution? I am tempted to just play in the original resolution because when using anything else, things just become tiny. (I basically only want higher resolutions for the sharper text)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ymgve posted:

Derailing the thread a bit - I'm reinstalling Torment, but is there a way to make the UI elements scale with my resolution? I am tempted to just play in the original resolution because when using anything else, things just become tiny. (I basically only want higher resolutions for the sharper text)

http://thunderpeel2001.blogspot.com/2009/01/planescape-torment-fully-modded.html
just follow this. Don't do what you're describing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

I already did follow that, or the equivalent guide on gog.com. The problem is that at any non-retarded resolution, all the UI stuff is way too tiny, even with the widescreen and UI mod.

• Locked thread